|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 15: The Holy Instant
1. The Two Uses of Time
1. Imagine what it means to have no cares, no worries, and no anxieties but to be Perfectly Calm and Quiet all the time. For you to learn just this, and nothing more, is what time is for. The Holy Spirit will not be satisfied with Its teaching until Its teaching is all that you learn. The Holy Spiritís Teaching Function is not fulfilled until you have become such a consistent learner that you learn only of the Holy Spirit. When this has happened you will no longer need a teacher or time in which to learn.
2. You may be discouraged by believing that learning of the Holy Spirit takes time and that the results of Its teaching are far in the future, but this is not so. The Holy Spirit uses time in Its own way and is not bound by it. Time is the Holy Spiritís friend in teaching. Time is not wasted by the Holy Spirit as it is wasted by the personal mind, which uses it to support its belief in destruction. The personal mind, like the Holy Spirit, uses time to teach you the inevitability of the goal and end of its teaching. But to the personal mind the goal is your death, which is its end; to the Holy Spirit the goal is Life, Which has no end.
3. The personal mind is an ally of time but not its friend. It is as mistrustful of death as it is of Life and the death that it wants for you it cannot tolerate for itself. The outcome of this strange religion is the personal mindís conviction that it can pursue you beyond the grave. Out of its unwillingness that you find peace even in death it offers you immortality in hell. It speaks to you of Heaven but assures you that Heaven is not for you. If you are guilty of separation from God you cannot hope for Heaven.
4. In your identification with the personal mind you cannot escape the belief in hell. Your nightmares and fears are all associated with it. The personal mind teaches that hell is in the future because hell is its teaching goal. Although the personal mind aims at death as an end for you it does not believe in it because the goal of death it craves for you leaves it unsatisfied. If you learn of the personal mind you cannot escape the fear of death but if you thought of death merely as the end of pain there would be nothing for you to fear. You can clearly see the strange paradox of the personal mind here: It must keep fear from you to hold your allegiance but it must engender fear in you to maintain itself. The personal mind frequently succeeds in doing both by using denial to hold together contradictory goals so they can seem to work. It teaches you that your death is the end as far as your hope of Heaven goes but because it cannot conceive of its own death or be without you then it must go with you in death and your separation from God must be eternal. This is the personal mindís version of Immortality and this is the version of time it supports.
5. The personal mind teaches that you must find Heaven here and now in the world that you perceive because hell is in your future. But it also tells you that hell is here and now, even sometimes to the point of attacking you so savagely that it tells you to take your own life. The only part of time that the personal mind allows you to look on calmly is the past and even the pastís only value to you is that it is no more.
6. How bleak and despairing and terrifying is the personal mindís use of time! But underneath its fanatical insistence that your future be like the personal selfís past it hides a far more insidious threat to your Peace: the belief that you are guilty. The personal mind does not advertise this because it wants you to still believe that it can offer you escape from hell. But your belief in guilt will always lead to your belief in hell. For you to experience fear of hell the personal mind brings hell to you now in the world that you perceive as a foretaste of the future. If you believe that you deserve hell you cannot believe that your punishment will end in Peace.
7. The Holy Spirit teaches that there is no hell, except for the hell that the personal mind makes of the present. Your belief in hell is what prevents you from understanding the present because it makes you afraid of the present by holding the personal selfís past against it. The Holy Spirit leads as steadily to Heaven as the personal mind drives to hell. The Holy Spirit knows only the present and uses it to undo the fear by which the personal mind wants to make the present useless to you. There is no escape from fear for you in the personal mindís use of time because time, according to its teaching, is a teaching device for compounding your guilt until it becomes all-encompassing and demands vengeance on you forever.
8. The Holy Spirit wants to undo all guilt and fear and thoughts of vengeance in you now. Fear is not of the present but of the past and future, which do not exist. You experience no fear in the present when each instant stands clear and separate from the past and without the pastís shadow creeping over it into the future. This Instant is a clear, untarnished birth in which you emerge from the personal selfís past into a present that extends Forever. It is so beautiful and so clean and free of guilt that nothing but Happiness is here. No guilt and fear are remembered this Instant and Immortality and Joy are now.
9. This lesson takes no time for you to learn because what is time without a past or future? It has taken you time to misguide yourself so completely but it takes no time at all for you to be What you are. Practice the Holy Spiritís use of time as a teaching aid to Happiness and Peace. Take this instant Ė now - and think of it as all there is of time. Nothing can reach you here out of the personal selfís past and it is here that you are completely absolved, completely free, and wholly without guilt. From this Holy Instant, Where Holiness is born again in your awareness, you will go forth in time without fear and with no sense of change with time.
10. Time and change go together but Holiness does not change. Learn more in this Instant than that hell does not exist; learn in this Instant of correction that Heaven is here. Heaven will not change and birth into the Holy Present is your salvation from change. Change is an illusion taught to you by the personal mind, which cannot conceive of your Innocence. There is no change in Heaven because there is no change in God. In this Holy Instant, in Which you see yourself Free, you remember God. Remembering God is remembering your Freedom.
11. If you are tempted to be dispirited by thinking how long it could take to change your mind so completely ask yourself, ďHow long is an Instant?Ē Give this Instant to the Holy Spirit for your salvation. The Holy Spirit asks for nothing more because It needs nothing more. It takes far longer for the Holy Spirit to teach you to be willing to give this tiny Instant to the Holy Spirit than for the Holy Spirit to use It to offer you the Whole of Heaven. In exchange for this Instant the Holy Spirit stands ready to give you the Memory of Eternity.
12. You will never give the Holy Instant to the Holy Spirit for your release while you are unwilling to extend It in place of the personal mindís projections onto others. The Holy Instant is one of extending Oneness to all that you perceive and it is not for the isolation of a personal mind. Remember, when you are tempted to attack another for your projections onto them that the Holy Instant is your release from separation. Your experience of miracles are the Holy Instants of release that you extend and receive. They attest to your willingness to be released and to offer time to the Holy Spirit for Its use.
13. How long is an Instant? It is as short for all that you perceive as it is for you. Practice extending this Blessed Instant of Freedom in place of the personal mindís projections and make time a friend of your entire mind. The Holy Spirit extends this Blessed Instant to you through your willingness to extend It. As you extend It, It is extended to you. Be willing to extend What you want to receive of the Holy Spirit because you join with the Holy Spirit in extending It. In the Purity of the release that you extend is your own instantaneous escape from guilt. You must be Holy if you offer Holiness.
14. How long is an Instant? As long as it takes for you to re-establish Perfect Sanity, Perfect Peace, and Perfect Love for your entire mind and for God. As long as it takes for you to remember Immortality and your Immortal Extension of God, Which shares Immortality with you. As long as it takes for you to exchange hell for Heaven. Long enough for you to transcend all that the personal mind has made and to ascend to God in your awareness.
15. Time is your friend if you leave it to the Holy Spirit to use. The Holy Spirit needs very little to restore Godís Whole Power to you. The Holy Spirit transcends time for you and understands what time is for. Your Holiness does not lie in time, but in Eternity. There never was in instant in which you could lose your Purity. Your
2. The End of Doubt
1. The plan of the Atonement - the correction of your perception that you are separate from God - is in time but is not for time. Being in you It is Eternal because What holds the Memory of God cannot be bound by time. You are not bound by time. You can be bound only if God is bound. An Instant that you offer to the Holy Spirit is offered to God and in that Instant you gently remember God. In that Blessed Instant you let go of all your past learning through a personal mind and the Holy Spirit quickly offers you the whole lesson of Peace. This does not take time because all your obstacles to learning It have been removed. Truth is so far beyond time that all of It happens at once. Truth is One and Oneness does not depend on time at all.
2. Do not be concerned with time and do not fear the Holy Instant that will remove all of your fear. The Instant of Peace is Eternal because It is without fear. It will come to you because It is the lesson that God gives to you through the Holy Spirit, Which is appointed by God to translate time into Eternity for you. Blessed is Godís Teacher, the Holy Spirit, Which is Joyous as It teaches you of your Holiness. The Holy Spiritís Joy is not contained in time and Its teaching is for you because Its Joy is yours. Through the Holy Spirit you stand before Godís Mind Where God gently translates hell into Heaven. God wants you to be only in Heaven.
3. It takes you no time to be Where God wants you to be. You are in Heaven, Where you have Forever been and will Forever be. All that you have There you have Forever. This Blessed Instant reaches out to encompass time, as God extends Itself to encompass you. You, who have spent time in limiting your mind to perception of a world to support and strengthen the personal mind, do not perceive the True Source of Strength. In this Holy Instant you release your entire mind and refuse to support weakness anywhere in your mind.
4. You do not realize how you have misused your relationships with others by seeing in your projections onto them sources of support for the personal mind. As a result, in your perception you see them as witnesses to the personal mind, and they seem to provide you with reasons for not letting it go. Yet you could use your relationships with others as stronger and much more compelling Witnesses for the Holy Spirit and as a support for the Holy Spiritís Strength by extending Godís Love to others instead of the personal mindís projections. It is therefore your choice whether your relationships with others support the personal mind or the Holy Spirit in you. And you will recognize which one you have chosen by how you see them. When your Christ Mind has been released through the Holy Spirit in you, you will always recognize It. You cannot deny your Christ Mind and if you remain uncertain of what you perceive it is only because you have not given complete release to your Christ Mind. If you do not clearly see Christ it is because you have not given a single instant completely to the Holy Spirit. When you have you will be sure that you have because the Witness to the Holy Spirit will be so clear that you will know. You will doubt all this until you have seen one Witness which you have wholly released through the Holy Spirit and then you will doubt no more.
5. You have not experienced the Holy Instant yet but you will and you will recognize It with Perfect Certainty. All Gifts of God are recognized in this way. You can practice the mechanics of the Holy Instant and you will learn much from doing so. But Its Vision will blind you to the world that you perceive and This you cannot supply. Here It is in this Instant, complete, accomplished, and wholly given.
6. Start now to practice your little part in separating out the Holy Instant. You will receive very specific instructions as you go along. For you to learn to separate out this single Instant and to experience It as Timeless is for you to begin to experience yourself as not separate from God. Do not fear that you will not be given help in this. The Holy Spirit and Its lesson will support your Strength. It is only your weakness that will depart from you in this practice because it is the practice of the Power of God within you. Use It for just one Instant, and you will never deny It again. You cannot deny the Presence of What the Universe bows to in appreciation and gladness. Before your recognition of the Universe that Witnesses to It your doubts must disappear.
3. Littleness Versus Magnitude
1. Do not be content with limitedness and be sure that you understand what it is and why you can never be content with it. Limitedness is the offering that you make to yourself in your identification with a personal self. You offer this to yourself in place of Limitlessness and you accept it. Everything in the world that you perceive is limited and is made out of the limited in your strange belief that limiting yourself can content you. When you strive for anything in the world that you perceive in the belief that it will bring you Peace you are limiting yourself and blinding yourself to Limitlessness. Limitedness and Limitlessness are the choices open to your striving and to your attention. You will always choose one at the expense of the other.
2. But what you do not realize is that each time you choose you are evaluating yourself and that your choice is your evaluation. Choose limitedness and you will not have Peace because you have judged yourself unworthy of It. Whatever you offer yourself as a substitute for Peace is much too inadequate a gift to satisfy you. It is essential that you gladly accept the fact that there is no form of limitedness that will ever content you. You are free to try as many forms of limitedness as you wish but all that you will be doing is delaying your Homecoming. You can only be content with Limitlessness, Which is your Home.
3. There is a deep responsibility that you owe to yourself and one that you must learn to remember all the time. It may seem hard at first but you will learn to love it when you realize that it is true and is a tribute to your Power. You have sought and found limitedness but remember this: Every decision that you make stems from what you think you are and represents the value that you put upon yourself. Believe that the limited can content you and you limit yourself and you will not be satisfied. Your function is not limited and It is only by finding your function and fulfilling it that you can escape from limitedness.
4. There is no doubt about what your Function is and the Holy Spirit knows What It is. There is not doubt about its Limitlessness because it reaches through the Holy Spirit from Limitlessness. You do not have to strive for your Function because you have it. All of your striving must be directed against limitedness because it does require effortful attention on your part for you to maintain your awareness of your Limitlessness in the limited world that you perceive. This is not a task that you can undertake with a limited personal mind and you are not asked to do this with a personal mind. Seek for the limited and you deny yourself Godís Power. But the Power of God will support every effort that you make on behalf of your Limitlessness in Christ. God does not will that you be content with less than Everything because God is not content without you and you cannot be content with less than God has given to you.
5. You can be limited by the personal mind or Limitless in God. Let the Holy Spirit ask you which you want every time you make a decision because with every decision you make you do choose one of these and you invite sorrow or Joy accordingly. In your Oneness with God you hold God within you Forever. God does not leave you and you do not leave God. All of your attempts to deny Godís Limitlessness and make yourself limited to a personal self cannot limit you or God. Every decision that you make is for Heaven or for hell and brings you the awareness of what you decided for.
6. The Holy Spirit holds your Limitlessness Clearly and Perfectly Safe within your mind, untouched by every little gift the world of limitedness that you perceive seems to offer to you. But for you to know this you cannot side against What the Holy Spirit wills for you. Decide for God through the Holy Spirit because limitedness and your belief that you can be content with limitedness are decisions you make about yourself. The Power and the Glory of God within you are for your entire mind. They can be extended in your mind to replace all the limitedness that you see in the world that you perceive. Do not extend limitedness or accept it. Your limitedness deceives you but Godís Limitlessness is within you and encompasses you. For your Christ Mindís sake, then, do not extend limitedness because your Christ Mind holds God within It Eternally.
7. In this season (Christmas) which celebrates the birth of the awareness of your Holiness in your split mind, join with your Christ Mind, Which decides for Holiness for you. Your task through your Christ Mind is to restore awareness of your Limitlessness to your entire mind, which is appointed by God to hold only God. It is beyond the limitedness of a personal mind to give the Gift of God but it is not beyond you. While never leaving you, God wants to give God through you by reaching from you to all that you perceive and beyond that to your Extension of God. Far beyond your perception of a limited world, but still within you, God extends Forever. God brings Its Whole Extension to you because God is within you.
8. It is not a sacrifice for you to leave limitedness behind and to not wander in vain. It is not a sacrifice for you to wake to Glory. But it is a sacrifice for you to accept anything less than Glory. Learn that you must be worthy of Christ, Which is born in your awareness in honor of God within you. You donít know what Love means because you have sought to purchase It with the limited gifts of a personal mind and so you have valued Love too little to understand Its Limitlessness. Love is not limited and It dwells in you because you hold God within you. Before the Greatness that is within you, your poor appreciation of yourself in a personal mind, and all the limited offerings that you give yourself through it, slip into nothingness.
9. You who are a Holy Part of God will learn that only Holiness can content you and give you Peace. Remember that you do not learn for the personal mind, as Jesus also did not. It is because Jesus learned of His Christ Mind that you can learn of your Christ Mind. Your Christ Mind teaches you What is yours so that you can replace the shabby limitedness that binds you to guilt and weakness with the glad awareness of the Glory within you. The birth of Christ in your awareness is your awareness of your Limitlessness. Do not welcome Christ into a manger but into your mind, where Holiness abides in Perfect Peace. Your Christ Mindís Oneness with God is not of the world that you perceive because It is in you and you are of God. Join with your Christ Mind in honoring you because you remain Forever beyond limitedness.
10. Decide with your Christ Mind. Your Christ Mind wills as God wills, knowing Godís Will is Constant and at Peace with Itself Forever. You can be content only with Godís Will. Accept no less, remembering that Everything Jesus learned is yours. What God loves your Christ Mind loves as God loves. Your Christ Mind can accept only Godís Love as God can accept only Godís Love and you can accept only Godís Love. When you have learned to accept What you are you will not make anymore ďgiftsĒ for yourself from the personal mind because you will know that you are Complete, without needs, and unable to be limited. And you will gladly extend God because God is within you. You have God within you and you do not need to seek for anything.
11. You will be given salvation if you are wholly willing to leave salvation to the Plan of God and you are unwilling to try to grasp for Peace with the personal mind. Do not think that you can substitute the personal mindís plan for Godís Plan. Join your Christ Mind in Godís Plan by releasing all of your perceptions to your Christ Mind so that your entire mind can hold God within it. If you do not let any thought in your mind contain the denial of God you will remember God.
12. In your relationships with others see only your Extension of God and of Heaven. You will think that you are in Heaven or in hell depending on what you extend or project in your perception. In your projections of hell and limitedness see only your call for Heaven and Limitlessness and answer the call with your Christ Mind. Godís Power is Forever on your side because It protects only the Peace in Which God dwells. Do not limit your mind because Godís Limitlessness is in it.
4. Practicing the Holy Instant
1. You can learn this course immediately, unless you believe that what God wills takes time. This only means that you would rather delay your recognition that Godís Will is. This instant and every instant is the Holy Instant. The instant that you want to be Holy is Holy; the instant that you donít want to be Holy is lost to you. You decide when the Holy Instant is. Do not delay It because beyond the past and future, in each of which you will not find the Holy Instant, It stands ready for your acceptance. But you cannot bring the Holy Instant into your glad awareness while you do not want It because It holds your whole release from limitedness.
2. Your practice of the Holy Instant must therefore rest upon your willingness to let all limitations go. The Instant in which Limitlessness dawns on you is only as far away as your desire for It. Cherish limitedness instead and Limitlessness will seem far away from you. But when you want It you will bring It nearer. Do not think that you can find salvation in the personal mind. Give over every plan that it has made for your salvation to be exchanged for Godís Plan. Godís Plan for your salvation will content you and nothing else will bring you Peace because Peace is of God and nothing else.
3. Be great in God by deferring to God. Do not value any plan of the personal mind in place of the plan of God. You leave your place in Godís Plan empty when you decide for any plan not of God. You are called by your Christ Mind to fulfill your Holy part in the Plan that God has given you to release your mind from the limitation of its perception of a world. God wants you, who hold God within you, to abide in Perfect Peace. Every allegiance that you have to a plan of salvation that does not come from God diminishes the value of Godís Will in your own mind. And yet it is your mind that holds God within it.
4. You will recognize how Holy and Immaculate is the Holy Mind that you share with God in the Holy Instant in Which you willingly and gladly give up every plan but Godís Plan. Peace lies here, Perfectly Clear, because you have been willing to meet Its conditions. You can claim the Holy Instant any time and anywhere you want It. In your practice of the Holy Instant give up every plan that you have made for finding Perfect Freedom in limitedness. It is not there. Use the Holy Instant to recognize that you cannot know where Freedom is in the isolation of a personal mind and that there you can only deceive yourself about It.
5. Your Christ Mind stands within this Holy Instant, as clear as you want your Christ Mind to be. The extent to which you learn to accept your Christ Mind is the measure of the time in which the Holy Instant will be yours. Your Christ Mind calls to you to make the Holy Instant yours at once because for you whose Mind holds God release from limitations depends on your willingness, not on time.
6. The reason this course is simple is that the Truth is simple. Complexity is of the personal mind because the personal mind seeks to obscure the obvious. You could live Forever in the Holy Instant beginning now and reaching to Eternity but for a very simple reason. Do not obscure the simplicity of this reason; if you do it is because you prefer not to recognize it and to let go of your resistance to it. The simple reason is this: In the Holy Instant you are in Perfect Communication with God. Your mind is wholly open to receive God and to extend God. In the Holy Instant you recognize that Mind is One and therefore you do not seek to change anything but to accept Everything that is.
7. You cannot do this when you prefer to have and keep private thoughts because to do this you must deny the Perfect Communication that makes the Holy Instant What It is. You believe that you can harbor thoughts that cannot be extended and that salvation lies in your keeping these thoughts in the isolation of a personal mind. Because in private thoughts known only to you in a personal mind you think that you find a way to keep what you want for yourself alone and to extend what you choose to extend. Then you wonder why you feel alone and isolated from the world that you perceive and from God, Which encompasses you and all of your mindís perceptions.
8. Every thought that you want to keep hidden shuts off your Communication with God because you want it to be so. It is impossible for you to recognize Perfect Communication while breaking Communication has value for you. Ask yourself honestly, ďDo I want Perfect Communication with God and am I wholly willing to let go of everything that interferes with It?Ē If your answer is ďnoĒ then the Holy Spiritís readiness to give It to you is not enough because you are not ready for It. Perfect Communication cannot come into your mind when you have decided to oppose It. The Holy Instant is given by the Holy Spirit and received by you with equal willingness because It is your acceptance of the One Will that governs all thought.
9. The Holy Instant does not require that you have only Pure Thoughts; Its only condition is that you be willing to let go of thoughts that are not of God. You do not make Innocence and It is given to your awareness the moment that you want It. The plan of the Atonement would not exist if your correction wasnít necessary. You will not accept Perfect Communication as long as you hide It from yourself because what you hide does seem gone from you. In your practice of the Holy Instant, then, make an effort against deception and do not seek to hold on to thoughts of the personal mind. Let the Holy Spiritís Purity brush them away and bring all of your awareness to readiness for the Purity that the Holy Spirit offers to you. And so the Holy Spirit will make you ready to remember that God is in your mind and that you are Limitless.
5. The Holy Instant and Special Relationships
1. The Holy Instant is the Holy Spiritís most useful means for teaching you Loveís Meaning because Its purpose is for you to entirely suspend judgment. The personal selfís past is the personal mindís basis for judgment so you need the past to make judgments. You think that without the past you cannot understand anything and this frightens you because you believe that without the personal mind everything will be chaos. But be assured: Without the personal mind all will be Love.
2. In your identification with a personal self the past is your chief means of learning because it was in the personal selfís past that you learned to define your needs and you acquired methods for getting them met on your own terms. By limiting your ďloveĒ to some others in the world that you perceive you put yourself in a relationship with guilt and make Real Love unreal to you. It is your attempt to have parts of the separation meet your needs as you define them in a personal self and so to turn separation into your salvation. Guilt must enter your mind then because your perception of separation from God is the source of your guilt and for you to look to separation for your salvation is for you to believe that you are separate. And for you to believe that you are separate from God is for you to believe that you are guilty because to experience yourself as separate from God you must deny your Oneness with God and therefore seem to attack Reality.
3. Your mind in its Wholeness is Reality so you cannot pick out only certain of your mindís perceptions to ďloveĒ and still understand that Love means Oneness and that Oneness is Reality. With special-love you make yourself unlike God because God does not know special-love. For you to believe that special relationships and special-love can offer you salvation is for you to believe that separation from God is your salvation. But it is in the Wholeness of your mind that your correction and salvation lie. You cannot decide that certain of your mindís perceptions are special and can give you more than the rest of your mind. The personal selfís past has taught you this but the Holy Instant teaches you that it is not so.
4. All special relationships have elements of fear because they foster guilt. They shift and change frequently because they are not based on Godís Changeless Love alone. Love where fear has entered is not Perfect and so you cannot depend on It. But in the Holy Spiritís Function as Interpreter of what you have made the Holy Spirit will use your special relationships. You have chosen to use them to support the personal self; the Holy Spirit uses them as learning experiences for you that point to Truth. Under the Holy Spiritís teaching every relationship in the world that you perceive becomes a lesson in the Oneness of Love for you.
5. The Holy Spirit knows that your mind is One and that no part of it is ďspecialĒ. But It also perceives that you have made special relationships with others in the world that your mind perceives and It will purify them and not let you destroy them. However unholy your reasons for forming these relationships the Holy Spirit can translate them into Holiness by removing as much separation and fear from them as you will let It. You can place any relationship under the Holy Spiritís care and be sure that it will not result in pain if you offer your willingness to let the relationship serve only the Holy Spiritís Goal. All of the guilt in your relationships comes from the personal mindís use of them; all of the Love in your relationships comes from the Holy Spiritís use of them. Do not be afraid to let go of your imagined needs, which will destroy your relationships. Your only need is the Holy Spirit.
6. Love has no substitute. When a relationship in the world that you perceive does not meet your needs in your identification with a personal self and you find another relationship to substitute for it you teach yourself that some of the personal mindís projections are more valuable than others, you make them real to you, and you make separation real to you. You have not offered your relationships to the Holy Spirit for Its use. But before judging these relationships you first judged against yourself or you would not have imagined that you have needs and looked to others to meet them. And because you saw yourself without Love you also perceived others as lacking Love and unable to fill your needs.
7. In your identification with a personal self your relationship to the world that you perceive is so fragmented that you take fragmentation even further by separating out certain parts of some people for your purposes while you prefer different parts of others. This is how you assemble a ďrealityĒ for the personal mindís unpredictable desires, offering yourself a picture of ďperfectionĒ that does not exist to seek for in others. There is nothing in the world that you perceive or in Heaven that resembles this picture, so no matter how much you seek for it you will not find it because it is not real.
8. You have formed special relationships in the world that you perceive and even though they are not real in Heaven Where all is One the Holy Spirit knows how to bring a touch of Heaven to them. In your extension of the Holy Instant to your relationships with others you will not see specialness because the personal selfís needs will not intrude. Without values from the personal selfís past you will see only Oneness and that there is no separation. In the Holy Instant you see in each relationship the Oneness that you can perceive only in the present.
9. God knows you now. God remembers nothing because God has always known you exactly as God knows you now. The Holy Instant reflects Godís Knowing you by undoing all of the personal mindís past perceptions in your mind, thereby removing the frame of reference that the personal mind has built by which you judge and make the world real to you. Once the past is gone the Holy Spirit substitutes Its Frame of Reference, Which is simply God. The Holy Spiritís Timelessness is only in the Holy Instant. In the Holy Instant, free of the past, you see Love is in you and you have no need to look out at your perception of others to snatch love guiltily from them.
10. All of your relationships are Blessed in the Holy Instant because Its Blessing is not limited like special-love. In the Holy Instant your mind is One and it becomes One in your awareness. The Meaning of Love is Oneness and this is the Meaning God gave to It. Give Love any other meaning and you do not understand It. God loves your entire mind, not one perception more, and another perception less. God needs all of your mind, as you do. You have been told, in time, to extend miracles as the Holy Spirit directs to replace the personal mindís projections. But in the Holy Instant you unite directly with God and your mind joins as One in Christ. There is no separation in your Christ Mind because your Christ Mind is your Self in Wholeness, as God extends Its Whole Self to your Christ Mind.
11. Do not think that you can judge the Self of God. God created It beyond judgment out of Godís need to extend Godís Love. With Love in you, your only need is to extend Love. In the Holy Instant you have no conflict of needs because you have only this one need. The Holy Instant reaches to Eternity and to the Mind of God. Only There Love has Meaning and only There can you understand Love.
6. The Holy Instant and the Laws of God
1. In the world that you perceive, to satisfy the needs that you think you have in your identification with a personal self you use each relationship at the expense of other relationships and then you suffer from guilt. You also condemn parts of each of your relationships in the world and fail to find Peace within them. You feel guilt and lack Peace because these relationships are for and about splitting your mind and separating from God. But under the Holy Spiritís teaching there is only One Relationship, Which is Total, and completely without conflict, and that is your Relationship with the Holy Spirit. Your Perfect Faith in Its ability to satisfy you completely comes from your Perfect Faith in yourself as you are in Truth. You cannot have this Perfect Faith while guilt remains in your mind and you will feel guilt while you accept and cherish the personal mindís projections onto others over your extensions of the Holy Spirit.
2. You have little faith in yourself because you are unwilling to accept that Perfect Love is in you. So you seek outside of yourself in your perceptions of ďothersĒ for what you can never find outside of yourself. Your Christ Mind offers you Its Perfect Faith in you in place of all of your doubts. But do not forget that your Christ Mindís Perfect Faith is extended to your entire mind or It will be a limited Gift to you. In the Holy Instant you and your Christ Mind are One in faith in you because you recognize through your Christ Mind that you are Wholly Worthy of your faith and in your appreciation of your Worth you cannot doubt your Holiness. And so you love yourself.
3. All separation vanishes for you as you extend Holiness. Holiness is Power and by your extending It, It strengthens in your awareness. If you seek for satisfaction for the needs that you think you have in your identification with a personal self you must believe that your strength comes from others and that what you gain they lose. If you perceive yourself as weak someone must always lose. But there is another interpretation of relationships that completely transcends the concept of loss of power.
4. You do not find it difficult to believe that when another calls on God for Love your call remains just as strong. And when another is answered by God your hope of answer is not diminished but strengthened. That is because you recognize, however dimly, that God is an Idea and so your faith in God is strengthened by extension. But what you find difficult to accept is that, like God, you are an idea. And like God you can extend yourself completely, wholly without loss, and only with an awareness of gain. In this is your Peace because in this there is no conflict.
5. In the world of scarcity in which you perceive yourself Love has no meaning and Peace is impossible because you accept both gain and loss as real, so you are not aware that Perfect Love is within you. In the Holy Instant you recognize the Idea of Love in yourself and you unite with this Idea in Godís Mind, Which thinks It and cannot relinquish It. By holding Love within Itself and extending It from There, there is no loss in Godís Mind. The Holy Instant, then, is a Lesson in how to hold Love in your entire mind by extending It everywhere to experience Completion. And this is Love because extending Love is only natural under Godís Law. In the Holy Instant only Godís Law prevails and has meaning for you and the laws of the world that you perceive cease to have any meaning to you at all. When you accept Godís Law as what you will it will be impossible for you to be limited in any way. In the Holy Instant you are free, as God wants you to be, because the Instant that you want to be Limitless you are Limitless.
6. What happens in the Holy Instant has always been but the veil that you have drawn across your awareness of Reality is lifted. Nothing Real changes but your awareness of Changelessness comes swiftly to you as you push aside the veil of time. Only when you have experienced the lifting of this veil and felt yourself irresistibly drawn to the Love that it seems to hide will you have faith in Love without fear. The Holy Spirit gives you this Faith because it is your Christ Mindís Faith. Do not fear that the Holy Instant will be denied to you because your Christ Mind does not deny It. Do not let any need that you perceive obscure your need for the Holy Instant. In the Holy Instant you will recognize that the Holy Instant is your only need and in this recognition you will join with your Christ Mind to extend It.
7. Peace will come to you through your identification with your Christ Mind. Join with your Christ Mind in the Idea of Peace because ideas can be extended. If you extend yourself as God extends Itself you will understand What you are. Extension is Loveís Meaning. Remember that Understanding and Knowledge of God are of the mind and Their conditions are in your mind as well. If you were not an idea, and only an idea, you would not be in full Oneness with God. As long as you prefer to be something other than an idea, or to be an idea and something else at the same time, you will not remember your Oneness with God, Which you do Know Perfectly.
8. In the Holy Instant you remember your Oneness with God and your entire mind is in Perfect Communication with God. What your mind perceives is included in the Holy Instant because the personal selfís past is gone and with it goes the whole basis for excluding any part of your mind. This permits God, the Source of your Whole Mind, to replace in your awareness all ideas of exclusion. In the Holy Instant, God and the Power of God take Their rightful place in your mind and you fully experience yourself as an Idea in Perfect Communication with the Idea of God. Through your ability to do this you learn What you must be because you begin to understand What God is and that you are One with God.
7. The Needless Sacrifice
1. Beyond your poor attraction to the special-love relationship and always obscured by it is your powerful attraction to God. Only Godís Love can satisfy you because there is no other Love. Being One, Godís Love is the only Love that is fully given to you and fully received by you. Being Complete, Godís Love asks for nothing. Being Wholly Pure, when your entire mind is joined in Godís Love you have Everything. None of this is the basis for any relationship in which the personal self enters. Every relationship that you make with the personal self is special because it is based on your perception of your separation from God and proceeds from your fragmented mind.
2. In the world that you perceive, in your identification with a personal self you establish relationships with others to get something for yourself and you hold the perceived giver to yourself through guilt. With the personal self you can only enter relationships in anger and you believe that anger and guilt are the way to make friends. The personal mind does not state this to you outright but its purpose is to keep attack and guilt in your mind. In your identification with it you really believe that you can get and keep what you want by making guilty. Guilt, being the result of your perceived separation from God, is the one thing that the personal mind is attracted to but this attraction is so weak that it would have no hold on you except that you do not recognize it. The personal mind always seems to attract you to it through love but it would not attract you at all if you perceived that it attracts you to it through guilt.
3. You must recognize your sick attraction to guilt for what it is. Having made guilt real to yourself by believing that you have really separated yourself from God it is essential that you look at it clearly and by withdrawing your investment in it learn to let it go. You will not let go of guilt as long as you think that your separation from God and the personal self that you have made for it have value. Guilt has value to you only because you have judged that separation from God is valuable without looking at it clearly. But as you look at guilt your only question will be why you ever wanted it. You have nothing to lose by looking at your attraction to guilt because it does not belong in your Holy Mind. You who are One with God can have no real investment in separation from God.
4. The personal mind maintains and increases guilt in your mind by projecting it onto others so that you do not recognize what your guilt is doing to you. Its fundamental doctrine is what you do to others you have escaped. The personal mind does not wish you well but its survival depends on your belief that you are exempt from its evil intentions. It tells you that if you identify with it you will be able to direct its anger outward and protect yourself from it. So with it you embark on an endless, unrewarding chain of special relationships, made in anger and dedicated to this one insane belief: The more anger that you invest outside of yourself the safer you are.
5. It is this chain of special relationships that binds you to the personal self and guilt and it is this chain that the Holy Spirit wants to remove from your Holy Mind. These savage relationships do not belong to you who are One with God and who cannot make the personal self real. For the sake of your release and for God, Which wants to release you, look more closely at the relationships that the personal mind contrives and let the Holy Spirit judge them truly. It is certain that if you look at them clearly you will offer them to the Holy Spirit. You do not yet know what the Holy Spirit can make of them but you will become willing to find out if you are first willing to perceive them honestly.
6. The personal mind values sacrifice because it believes that you sacrificed God to be with it. And it values guilt because it is through your guilt over separating from God and your fear that God will punish you that the personal mind holds you to itself. So in one way or another every relationship that you make with the personal self is based on the idea that by sacrificing yourself to another you can get what you want from them. This ďsacrificeĒ, which the personal mind regards as a form of ďpurificationĒ, is actually the root of its bitter resentment. It would really rather attack you directly and not delay getting whatever it wants from you but it recognizes that you would not confuse direct attack with love. But to make someone else guilty is to attack yourself directly because it still makes guilt real in your mind. It only does not seem like a direct attack because you feel that you are guilty, you expect attack, and having asked for it you are attracted to it and you want it.
7. In these insane relationships your attraction to the guilt that you do not really want seems much stronger than your attraction to the Love that you do really want. In your identification with a personal self you think that you have sacrificed something to another and you hate them for it. And this is what you think you want. You are not really in love with another; you are in love with sacrifice. And for this sacrifice that you demand of yourself you demand that the other feel guilty and you demand that they sacrifice as well. You cannot forgive your projection of guilt on the other because in the personal mind you believe that to do so is to lose. It is only by attacking that you can ensure the guilt that holds the personal selfís relationships together.
8. But you can only seem to be together with another because relationships that you make through the personal self mean only that bodies are together. This is what the personal mind demands and it doesnít care where your mind goes or what you think because mind and thought are unimportant to the personal mind. As long as a body is there to accept your sacrifice the personal mind is content. To the personal mind your mind is private and only a body can be shared with another body. Ideas are of no concern to it except as they bring the body of another closer or push them further off. It is in these terms that the personal mind evaluates ideas as ďgoodĒ or ďbadĒ: What makes another seem guilty and holds them to you through guilt is ďgoodĒ; what releases them from your projection of guilt is ďbadĒ because you will no longer believe that bodies unite and so your would ďloseĒ the other.
9. Suffering and sacrifice are the ďgiftsĒ with which the personal mind blesses all unions in the world that you perceive. United with another at the personal mindís altar you accept suffering and sacrifice as the price of union. In this angry alliance, born of fear and loneliness, and dedicated to the continuance of their source Ė your perception of separation from God Ė you seek relief from your guilt by increasing it in your projection onto the other because you believe this decreases it in you. You perceive the other as always attacking and wounding you, maybe in little ways, maybe ďunconsciouslyĒ, but never without demand that you sacrifice. The fury that you experience when you join with another at the personal mindís altar far exceeds your awareness of it. You do not realize that the personal mind wants your total sacrifice to it.
10. Whenever you are angry you can be sure that you have made a special relationship which the personal mind ďblessesĒ because anger is its ďblessingĒ. Anger takes many forms but it will not long deceive you when you learn that there is no guilt in Love and that what brings guilt cannot be Love and must be anger. All anger is nothing more than your attempt to make someone else feel guilty and this is the only basis the personal mind accepts for a special relationship. Your guilt is the only need the personal mind has and as long as you identify with it guilt will be attractive to you. Remember this: To be with a body is not union and if you think that it is you will feel guilty about union and you will be afraid to hear the Holy Spirit, recognizing in Its Voice your own need to be united with God.
11. The Holy Spirit cannot teach you through fear. The Holy Spirit cannot unite with you while you believe that to unite is to make yourself more isolated and alone. It is clearly insane for you to believe that by uniting you will be abandoned. But you do believe it and you think that you must keep your mind isolated and private or you will lose it. You think that if bodies are united your mind is your own. Uniting bodies, then, is the way to keep your mind apart because the body cannot forgive your perception of separation; it can only do as the mind directs.
12. The illusion of the independence of the body and the illusion of its ability to overcome loneliness is the personal mindís plan to establish its own independence from the Truth in you. As long as you believe that to be with a body is companionship you will be compelled to project personal selves onto bodies and to hold them there with guilt. You will see safety in guilt and danger in Oneness with God. The personal mind will always teach that loneliness is solved by guilt and that union is the cause of loneliness. Despite the evident insanity of this lesson you have learned it.
13. Forgiveness for yourself lies in your awareness of your Oneness with God as surely as your belief in your damnation lies in your belief that you are guilty for separating from God. It is the Holy Spiritís Teaching Function to instruct you, who believe that union is damnation, that your
14. It is through the Holy Instant that you accomplish What seems impossible, making it evident to you that It is not impossible. In the Holy Instant guilt holds no attraction for you because Oneness has been restored to your awareness. Guilt, which is supposed to disrupt True Union, has no function in the Holy Instant. In the Holy Instant you hide nothing and you have no private thoughts. Your willingness to be One with God attracts Oneness to you and completely overcomes your sense of loneliness and isolation. You experience complete forgiveness in the Holy Instant because you have no desire to exclude anything that your mind perceives in recognition of the value of your mindís wholeness. Your Completion is Godís Completion, Which only needs you to be Complete. Your Completion makes you Godís Completion in your awareness. In the Holy Instant you experience yourself as you are in Oneness with God.
8. The Only Real Relationship
1. The Holy Instant does not replace your need for learning because the Holy Spirit must not leave you as your Teacher until the Holy Instant has undone time for you. For Its Teaching Assignment, the Holy Spirit must use for your release everything in the world that you perceive. It must side with every sign of your willingness to learn of It What the Truth is. The Holy Spirit is swift to use whatever you offer It on behalf of this. Its concern and care for you are Limitless. Faced with your fear of forgiving, which the Holy Spirit perceives clearly, the Holy Spirit will teach you to remember that forgiving is not loss but your release and salvation. In complete forgiving, in which you recognize that there is nothing to forgive, you are absolved completely.
2. Hear the Holy Spirit gladly and learn of It that you have no need of special relationships at all. You only seek in them What you have thrown away. You will never learn through them the value of What you have cast aside but still desire with all your Being. Join your Christ Mind in making the Holy Instant all that there is by desiring that it be all that there is. You have such great need of your willingness to strive for this that you cannot conceive of a need so great. This is the only need that you and God share and will meet together. You are not alone in this. The Will of your Extension of God calls to you to be One again. Turn in Peace to God and to your Extension of God.
3. Relate only with What will never leave you and with What you can never leave. If you could really separate from God then God would be lonely. Do not refuse to be aware of your Completion and do not seek to restore It to yourself through the personal mind. Do not fear to give your need of correction over to the Holy Spiritís Love. The Holy Spirit will never fail you because It comes from God and God cannot fail. Your sense of failure is nothing more than your mistaken belief about who you are. You who are One with God are beyond failure and nothing that you Will can be denied. You are Forever in a Relationship so Holy that It calls to your entire mind to escape from its perception of isolation and to join in your Love. Where you are in Truth you will seek with your entire mind and find yourself There.
4. Think about this for an instant: God extends Oneness to you to ensure your Perfection. This is Godís Gift to you because as God does not withhold Itself from you God does not withhold Its Own extension. All that is in God is yours. Your Relationship is with Godís Universe and this Universe is far beyond the petty sum of all the separate bodies that you perceive through the personal mind. Every Part of the Universe joins in God through your extension of your Christ Mind so that your mind becomes like God. Your Christ Mind does not know separation from God and God is your Christ Mindís One Relationship, in Which It extends God as God extends God to It.
5. The Holy Spirit is Godís Means of freeing you from what God cannot understand. Because God is the Source of the Means It will succeed. The Holy Spirit asks you to respond to everything with Love as God does because the Holy Spirit will teach you What you do not think you understand in your identification with a personal self. God responds to your every need, whatever form it takes, so God keeps the Holy Spirit in you open as a channel for you to receive Godís Communication to you and for you to send yours to God. God does not understand your problem in Communication because God does not share it. You only think this problem is understandable in your identification with a personal self. The Holy Spirit knows that it is not understandable in Truth but It understands it because you made it.
6. In the Holy Spirit alone lies the awareness of both your perception of separation that God cannot know and the Oneness that you do not understand in your identification with a personal self. It is the Holy Function of the Holy Spirit to accept them both and remove every element of disagreement to join them into one. Leave to the Holy Spirit what seems to you to be impossible. The Holy Spirit knows that it is possible because it is the Will of God. Let the Holy Spirit, Which teaches you only of God, teach you the meaning of relationships. God created the only Relationship that has Meaning and that is Godís Relationship with you.
9. The Holy Instant and the Attraction of God
1. The personal mind wants to limit your perceptions of others to bodies; the Holy Spirit wants to release your Vision through others by seeing in their place the Limitless Love that reaches to God. It is this shift to Spiritual Vision that you accomplish in the Holy Instant. You need to know what this shift entails so that you will become willing to make it permanent. Spiritual Vision is Permanent and you only need to be willing to know this. Once you have accepted It as the only Perception that you want It is translated into God in the only part that God plays directly in the correction of your perception of separation from God. There is no delay in this when you are ready for it. God is ready now but you are not.
2. With the Holy Spirit your task is to continue, as fast as possible, the necessary process of looking straight at all that interferes with your awareness of God and to see it exactly as it is. It is impossible for you to recognize that your perception of separation from God is wholly without gratification for you while you think that you want it. The body is the symbol of the personal self, as the personal self is the symbol of your separation from God. Both are nothing more than your attempts to limit your Communication with God to make Oneness impossible. Communication must be unlimited to have Meaning and deprived of Meaning It will not satisfy you completely. Limitless Communication is the only Means by Which you can establish your Relationship with God, Which has no limits, having been established by God.
3. In the Holy Instant, Where Limitless Love replaces the body in your awareness, you recognize your Limitless Relationship with God. In order to see this it is necessary for you to give up every use that the personal mind has for the body and to accept the fact that you do not want to share the personal mindís purpose. The personal mind wants to limit your awareness of relationships to bodies for its purpose of keeping you separate from God and while you share its purpose you will use the means it does to accomplish this purpose. Though the purpose of separation will never be accomplished you surely recognize that the personal mind, whose goal is unattainable, will strive for it with all its might and will do so with the strength that you have given to it.
4. It is impossible for you to divide your strength between God and the personal mind and to release your Power to extend Godís Oneness, Which is the only Purpose for Which It was given to you. Love always extends Itself. Limits are demanded by the personal mind and represent its desire to make you little and ineffectual. Limit relationships to bodies, which you do when you do not extend your Relationship with God in their place, and you have denied the Gift of Wholeness that your Relationship with God can give to you. A body cannot give you this Gift and do not seek for It through a body. Your mind and Godís are Continuous; you only need to accept your Oneness with God and Heaven is Whole again.
5. Let the Holy Spirit tell you of Godís Love for you and the need your Extension of God has to be with you Forever and you will experience Eternityís attraction. You cannot hear the Holy Spirit speak of this and wish to linger in your perception of a world for long. It is your Will to be in Heaven, Where you are Complete and Quiet in such a Sure and Loving Relationship that limits are not possible. Exchange your limited perception of relationships for your Relationship with God. The body is little and limited and only the Relationship that you can see without the limits that the personal mind puts on It can offer you the Gift of Freedom.
6. You have no idea the limits that you have placed on your perception and no idea of all the Loveliness that you could see. You must remember this: Your attraction to separation from God opposes your attraction to God. Godís attraction for you remains Unlimited but because your Power is Godís Power and is just as Great you can choose to turn away from Love. When you invest in separation you invest in guilt and you withdraw from God and your perception becomes limited because you have attempted to separate yourself from God and to limit your Communication with God. Do not seek for correction of your perception of separation from God in further separation. Do not limit your Vision of Christ to what interferes with your release to your Christ Mind or even to what the Holy Spirit must do to set you free. Your belief in limits is what limits you.
7. When the body ceases to attract you and when you no longer value it as a means for getting anything then there will be no interference in your Communication with God and your Thoughts will be Free. As you let the Holy Spirit teach you how to use the body only as a means for communication and as you renounce the personal mindís use of the body as a means for separation and attack you will learn that you have no need of a body at all. In the Holy Instant there are no bodies and you experience only your attraction to God. Your attraction to God is Limitless and you join with God wholly in an Instant because you place no limits on your Oneness with God. The Reality of this Relationship becomes the only Truth that you could ever want. All Truth is in God.
10. The Time of Rebirth
1. It is within your power in time to delay your Perfect Union with God because in the world that you perceive your attraction to the guilt of separation does stand between you and God. Neither time nor season mean anything in Eternity but in your perception of a world the Holy Spirit can use them both but not the way that the personal mind uses them. This is the season (Christmas) when you celebrate the birth of the awareness of Christ in your split mind but you do not know how to do it. Let the Holy Spirit teach you and let your Christ Mind celebrate your birth through the Holy Spirit. The only Gift your Christ Mind can accept of you is the Gift that your Christ Mind gives to you. Release your Christ Mind as your Christ Mind releases you. You celebrate the Time of Christ with your Christ Mind or it has no meaning.
2. The Holy Instant is the true Time of Christ. In this liberating Instant you do not lay guilt upon yourself and your Limitless Power is restored to you. This is the only Gift that your Christ Mind offers to you, so this is the only Gift that you can offer to your Christ Mind. To see your Christ Mind you extend Christ in place of the personal mindís projections and so offer your Christ Mind the Gift of Wholeness. Your Christ Mind is as incapable of receiving sacrifice as God is and every sacrifice that you ask of yourself you ask of your Christ Mind. Learn that sacrifice of any kind is only a limitation that you impose on your extension of God. By this limitation you limit your acceptance of the Gift your Christ Mind offers to you.
3. You are One with your Christ Mind and you cannot extend apart from your Christ Mind. When you are willing to accept that your Relationship with your Christ Mind is real the guilt of separation will no longer attract you. In your Oneness with your Christ Mind you will accept your entire mind as Christ. The Gift of Oneness is the only Gift that your Christ Mind was created by God to extend. Extend Oneness back to your Christ Mind so that you may have It. The Time of Christ is the time appointed for the Gift of Freedom, offered everywhere without limit. By accepting this Gift you extend It everywhere.
4. It is in your power to make this season Holy because it is in your power to make the Time of Christ be now. It is possible for you to do this all at once because there is only one shift in perception that is necessary for you to make because you made only one mistake. It seems like you have made many mistakes because the personal self takes many forms but it is all the same. What is not Love is always fear and nothing else.
5. It is not necessary for you to follow fear through all the circuitous routes by which it burrows into your unconscious and hides in denial to emerge in forms that seem quite different from what it is. But it is necessary for you to examine each one as long as you want to retain the principle of separation that governs all of them. When you are willing to regard them all as manifestations of the same idea, and one that you do not want, they will all go away. The idea that they all represent is this: Identify with the personal self and be free or identify with God and be bound. This is the choice that you think you have and the decision that you think you must make. You see no other alternatives because you cannot accept that the sacrifice of your Oneness with God that you made for the personal self does not get you anything. Sacrifice is so essential to the personal mindís thought system that while you identify with it salvation without sacrifice means nothing to you.
6. In your identification with a personal self you believe that you can give all your guilt away by projecting it onto others and thereby purchase peace. It does not seem as though you pay, for though the personal self always demands payment it never seems to be demanding it of you. You are unwilling to recognize that the personal self with which you choose to identify is treacherous only to you. It will never let you see this because then you will let it go. But when the recognition of its treachery to you dawns on you clearly you will not be deceived by any form the personal self takes to protect itself from your awareness of this. Each projection of the personal self that you make you will recognize as only a cover for one idea that hides behind them all: Love demands sacrifice and is therefore inseparable from attack and fear. And guilt is the ďpriceĒ of ďloveĒ, which must be paid by fear.
7. How fearful, then, God has become to you and how great a sacrifice you believe Godís Love demands of you! Total Love seems to demand your total sacrifice so the personal self seems to demand less of you than God. The personal self seems the lesser of two evils, maybe to be feared a little but God has to be destroyed. You see Love as destructive and your only question is: Who is to be destroyed, you or another? You try to answer this question in the special relationship in which you seem to be part-destroyer and part-destroyed but able to be neither completely. And you think this saves you from Godís Total Love, Which you think will destroy you completely.
8. You think that everyone outside of you demands your sacrifice but you do not see that only you demand sacrifice and always of yourself. You sacrifice yourself by identifying with a personal self. Your demand of your sacrifice is so savage and frightening that you cannot accept that it is within you. Rather than look at this you have given away God because if God demands your total sacrifice it seems safer for you to project God away than to accept your Oneness with God. You ascribe to God the personal mindís treachery and you replace God within you by identifying with a personal self to protect you from God. You donít recognize that it is the personal mind that wants to destroy you and that demands total sacrifice of you. No partial sacrifice will appease the savage personal mind, which seems to offer kindness only to make the sacrifice complete.
9. You will not succeed in being only partially bound by the personal mind because it does not keep bargains and it wants to leave you nothing. You cannot only partially identify with the personal self because freedom and bondage are both total and you must choose one or the other. You have tried many compromises to avoid recognizing this one decision you must make. But if you recognize the decision just as it is it is easy. Salvation is of God and therefore simple and easy to understand. Do not project it away from you and see it outside of you. Within you are your only choices: the demand for sacrifice and the Peace of God.
11. Christmas As the End of Sacrifice
1. Do not be afraid of recognizing that the idea of sacrifice is solely of your own making. Do not try to protect yourself from sacrifice by projecting it outside of you. God and others have become frightening to you because you have projected your demand for sacrifice onto them and you want to bargain with them for a few special relationships in which you think you see some safety from guilt. Do not try any longer to keep the personal mindís thoughts apart from the Holy Spirit. When they are brought together in your mind the choice between them is nothing more than your gentle awareness that illusions mean nothing beside Truth.
2. The sign of Christmas is a star; a light in darkness. Do not see it outside of you but shining in Heaven within you and accept it as a symbol that the Time of Christ has come. Your Christ Mind does not demand anything; no sacrifice is asked of you. In Christís Presence the idea of sacrifice loses all meaning for you because your Christ Mind is One with God. You only need to call on your Christ Mind and recognize that nothing alien to God can abide in Godís Oneness. Your Love must be Total to welcome your Christ Mind because your Christ Mind and Love are Whole and One. No fear can touch you who cradle God in the Time of Christ because you are as Holy as the Perfect Innocence you protect and Godís Power protects you.
3. This Christmas give to the Holy Spirit every thought that hurts you. Let yourself be completely healed of your perception of separation by joining the Holy Spirit in extending healing and celebrate your Freedom in Christ by extending healing to be all that you perceive. Leave no perception behind because Freedom is total and when you have accepted your Freedom in Christ you will extend your Freedom with Christ. All of your pain and sacrifice and littleness will disappear in your Relationship with your Christ Mind, Which is as Innocent and Powerful as your Relationship with God. Your pain will be brought to your Relationship with your Christ Mind and it will disappear. Without pain there is no sacrifice and without sacrifice there is Love.
4. In your identification with a personal self you believe that sacrifice is ďloveĒ so you must learn that sacrifice is separation from Love. Your sacrifice brings guilt to you as certainly as your Love brings you Peace. Guilt is the condition of sacrifice as Peace is the Condition of your awareness of your Relationship with God. Through guilt you exclude God and your mindís perceptions from yourself. Through Peace you invite them back, realizing that they are both within you where you want them to be. You cannot perceive part of yourself as loathsome and live with yourself in Peace, so you must project the loathsome perception away from you. But when you exclude something from yourself it seems frightening because you endow it with fear when you project it away from you. You cannot resolve the ďconflictĒ between Heaven and hell within yourself by projecting Heaven away from you and giving it the attributes of hell without experiencing yourself as incomplete and lonely.
5. As long as you perceive the body as your reality you will perceive yourself as lonely and deprived, a victim of sacrifice that is justified in demanding that others sacrifice for you. You thrust God aside so you experience sacrifice and loss and seek to restore yourself to wholeness through others. But you cannot restore yourself to wholeness in your identification with a personal self because then the basis for your attempts at wholeness is your belief that deprivation is real. Deprivation breeds attack because it is a form of attack so it is also your belief that attack is justified. As long as you retain deprivation through your identification with a personal self attack means salvation for you and sacrifice means love.
6. In all your seeking for ďloveĒ through the personal self you really seek for sacrifice and find it but you donít find Love. You cannot deny What Love is and find It. The Meaning of Love lies in God, Which you have cast outside yourself. Love has no meaning apart from you. It is the personal self that you prefer to keep that has no meaning while God, Which you want to keep away from yourself, holds all the Meaning of Reality and holds Reality together in Its Meaning. Because Reality is within you It is within God. For you to be without God is for you to be without Meaning.
7. In the Holy Instant the Condition of Love is met because mind is One without the bodyís interference. And where there is True Communication there is Peace. Your Christ Mind is Peace and has been represented in the world that you perceive as Jesus to re-establish Peace in your mind by teaching you that True Communication remains intact even when the body is destroyed as long as you do not see the body as necessary to communication. If you understand this lesson then you will realize that you cannot sacrifice the body because it is nothing and you cannot sacrifice True Communication, Which is of the mind. There is no sacrifice. Jesusí lesson is that sacrifice is nowhere and Love is Everywhere. True Communication embraces Everything and in the Peace It re-establishes in you Love comes naturally.
8. Do not let the despair of the personal mind darken the Joy of Christmas for you because the Time of Christ is meaningless without Joy. Join your Christ Mind in celebrating Peace by not demanding sacrifice anywhere as a means of offering to your Christ Mind the Love It offers to you. Nothing is more Joyous than for you to perceive that you are not deprived of anything. This is the Godís message for the Time of Christ, which your Christ Mind extends to you that you may extend it to your Christ Mind and to God in your Oneness with Them. In the Time of Christ True Communication is restored to you and God joins in celebrating Its extension.
9. God offers thanks to you who, in your awareness of your Holiness, have let God come and stay where God wants to be. You are welcome in God because God is in you. You celebrate Godís Wholeness when you welcome God into your awareness. You are One with God and by allowing God to enter your awareness you remember the Only Relationship that you have ever had and that you ever want to have.
10. This is the time in which a new year will soon be born from the Time of Christ. Your Christ Mind has Perfect Faith in you to do all that you need to accomplish. You will lack nothing and you will make yourself Complete in your awareness as you will not destroy anything. Say to all that your mind perceives:
As part of myself I extend the Holy Spirit to you.
You are released from my illusion of separation unless I want to use you to imprison myself.
I choose your freedom from my illusions because I recognize that I am set free with you.
And so your new year will begin with Joy and Freedom. There is much for you to do and you have been long delayed. Accept the Holy Instant as the year is born and take your place in your Great Awakening. Make this year different from the past by making it all One in Godís Love. Look only on your Holy Relationship with God. This is your Will in Christ. Amen.
 This is elaborated on in Chapter 16, Part 5.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|