|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 19: The Attainment of Peace
1. Healing and Faith
1. As was stated earlier in this course, when you have wholly dedicated a situation to Truth your attainment of Peace is inevitable. Your attainment of Peace is the proof of the wholeness of your dedication. You cannot attain Peace without your faith that only God is Real because what you have dedicated to Truth as its only Goal is brought to Truth by your faith that only God is Real. Your faith that only God is Real must encompass all of your mind’s perceptions to be perceived as meaningful and whole. If your entire mind is not included in your faith that only God is Real then your faith is limited and your dedication is incomplete because you have faith in another reality beside God.
2. Properly perceived, every situation is an opportunity for you to heal your entire mind of your perception of separation from God. You are healed when you offer faith that your Christ Mind is your Reality and you release yourself from the personal mind’s demands. You share the Holy Spirit’s Vision when you see yourself freed of the personal mind and the Holy Spirit can then heal your perceptions through you. You joining your mind with the Holy Spirit in this Purpose is what makes this Purpose Real because you make It Whole and Wholeness is healing. When you join the Mind in Which all healing rests the body is healed because you came without it.
3. The body cannot heal because it cannot make itself sick. The body does not need healing because its health or sickness depends entirely on how your mind perceives it and the purpose for which your mind wants to use it. It is obvious that a segment of your mind can see itself as separated from Oneness. When this happens the body becomes a weapon of the personal mind to use against Oneness and to demonstrate the “fact” that your separation from God has occurred. The body is then the instrument of illusion and acts accordingly: it sees what is not there, it hears what Truth has never said, and it behaves insanely because it is imprisoned by insanity.
4. Do not overlook the earlier statement that your lack of faith that only God is Real will lead you straight to illusions. When you lack faith that only God is Real you will look on bodies as real and bodies cannot be One as mind can. If you look on bodies as real, then, you have established a condition in which it becomes impossible for you to unite your mind because the world outside of you seems real to you and not just made up of your own thoughts. Your lack of faith that only God is Real results in your mind being split and it keeps you from being healed. Your lack of faith that only God is Real opposes the Holy Spirit’s Purpose of healing and brings illusions, centered on bodies, to your mind to stand between you and the Holy Spirit. The body will then seem to be sick because you have made it to be an “enemy” of healing and the opposite of Truth.
5. Obviously, your faith that only God is Real must be the opposite of your lack of faith that only God is Real. But the difference in how your faith and your lack of faith operate may be less apparent to you, even though how they operate follows directly from their fundamental differences. Your lack of faith that only God is Real always limits you and attacks you because you are really One with God; your faith that only God is Real removes all of your limitations and makes you Whole. Your lack of faith that only God is Real interposes illusions between you and God; your faith that only God is Real removes all obstacles that seem to rise between you and God. Your lack of faith that only God is Real always results in your dedication to illusions; your faith that only God is Real always leads to your dedication to Truth. It is impossible for you to be partially dedicated to each because in Truth there are no illusions and in illusions there is no Truth. Truth and illusions cannot be perceived in the same place. To dedicate yourself to both illusions and to Truth is to set up a goal that is forever unattainable. The illusion part of the goal sets up the body as reality and is therefore a means of attacking Truth; the Truth part of the goal wants to heal and therefore calls on your mind, not on the body.
6. The compromise that you try to make to keep both Truth and illusion as your goal is the belief that the body, not the mind, must be healed. This divided goal gives both the body and the mind equal reality to you. This results in your perception that your mind is divided into little parts that seem whole but are limited to bodies and so are unconnected. This illusion does not harm bodies but it does maintain the delusional thought system of your split mind. Healing is needed in your mind and it is in your mind that healing is. God brings healing where it is needed. Sickness and healing are together in your mind and when you see them together you will recognize that all of your attempts to keep both Truth and illusion in your mind resulted in your dedication to illusions. And you will give up illusions when they are brought to Truth and you see that they are totally irreconcilable with Truth in every way.
7. Truth and illusion can have no connection and this is forever true, no matter how much you seek to connect them. But illusions are always connected to illusions as Truth is always connected to Truth. Each is a united, complete thought system that is completely disconnected from the other. When you perceive this you will recognize that your separation from God is only in your mind and that it is there that it must be healed. The result of an idea is never separate from its source. Your idea of separation resulted in the body and remains connected to it. The body is sick because of your mind’s misidentification with it. You think that you are protecting the body by hiding this connection from your awareness because this concealment seems to keep your identification with the body safe from the “attack” of Truth.
8. Understand how much this strange concealment has seemed to hurt your mind and how confused you are about your own identity because of it. You do not see how great is the devastation wrought by your lack of faith that only God is Real. Lack of faith that only God is Real is an attack on yourself that seems justified by its results. By withholding faith that only God is Real you see only what is unworthy of your faith and you can not see beyond this barrier of seeming unworthiness to your Oneness with God.
9. To have faith that only God is Real is to heal yourself. It is the sign that you have accepted correction of your perception of separation from God and therefore want to extend it. Through your faith that only God is Real you receive the Gift of Freedom from the personal self’s past and you extend Freedom to replace the world in your mind. In your Holy relationship you do not use the personal mind’s perceptions of the past to condemn the other; you freely choose to overlook all errors of separation and to look on Oneness instead. Your faith in Oneness is fully justified. There is no justification for your lack of faith but your faith that only God is Real is always justified.
10. Your faith that only God is Real is the opposite of fear and it is as much a part of Love as fear is a part of attack. Your faith that only God is Real is your acknowledgement of Oneness. It is your gracious acknowledgement that your Whole Mind is loved by God and you as yourself. It is God’s Love that joins your mind in Oneness and for you to be aware of God’s Love you must not project any part of your mind away from yourself by perceiving a world of separation. In your faith in God your mind is joined in the Holy Instant to release you from guilt. Look on your Christ Mind in place of the world of separation that you perceive and your mind will be healed because you see What makes your faith Forever justified everywhere.
11. Faith is God’s Gift to you through the Holy Spirit. Your lack of faith that only God is Real looks on the personal mind and its projections onto a world and judges them as unworthy of forgiveness. But through your faith which sees that only God is Real you are already forgiven the personal mind and you are freed of all the guilt that you have laid upon yourself through it. Your faith that only God is real sees your mind only as it is now because it is not judged by the personal self’s past but sees only your Christ Mind. Your faith that only God is Real does not look through the body’s eyes or look to bodies for its justification. This faith calls forth your Real Perception.
12. Your faith that only God is Real and the Real Perception that you see through your faith are easily translated to God because this faith arises from the Holy Spirit’s Perception and is the sign that you share Perception with the Holy Spirit. Your faith that only God is Real is extended to your Christ Mind through the Holy Spirit and it is as wholly acceptable to God as it is to your Christ Mind. It is therefore offered to you. Your Holy relationship with the other, with its new Purpose, offers you faith that only God is Real to extend in place of the world of separation in your mind. Your lack of faith has driven your mind apart so that you do not recognize salvation in your mind because of your perception of a world of separation. Yet your faith unites your mind in Holiness that you see, not with the body’s eyes, but with the Holy Spirit in Which your mind is One.
13. Grace is given to your mind, not to a body. When your mind receives Grace it looks instantly beyond the body and it sees the
14. In the Holy Instant you stand before the Mind that you share with God. Put aside your lack of faith that only God is Real and bring your mind and all that it perceives to God. There you will see that by your faith your relationship was made Holy and that by your faith you are forgiven everything. Before God’s Mind no error interferes with your Calm Vision, Which easily brings the miracle of healing to all of your errors equally. What your extensions of Love are meant to do they do, returning Love to your entire mind from the Mind of God.
15. As your lack of faith will keep your mind divided and barren so will your faith that only God is Real help the Holy Spirit prepare your mind for Wholeness and Life. Your faith that only God is Real brings you Peace so it calls on Truth to fill your prepared mind with Love. Truth follows faith and Peace and completes the process that they began by bringing Love to your awareness. Your faith that only God is Real is still a learning goal for you and you will no longer need it when you have learned that only God is Real. But Truth stays with you Forever.
16. Let your dedication be to the Eternal and learn how to not interfere with It or to limit It with time. What you think you do to the Eternal you do to you. You are One with God and Limitless, with Power over Everything. You can limit a body but an idea is free and it can only be limited by the mind which thinks it. An idea remains joined to the mind which thinks it and the mind limits it or sets it free, depending on the purpose the mind chooses for itself.
2. Sin versus Error
1. It is essential that you do not confuse error with “sin” because it is the distinction between them that makes your salvation possible. Error can be corrected but sin, were it possible, would be irreversible. Your belief in sin is based on your firm conviction that minds, not bodies, can attack and that your mind is forever guilty unless or until a mind that is not part of it gives it absolution. Error calls for correction but “sin” calls for punishment. Your belief that punishment is correction is clearly insane.
2. Sin is not error because the idea of sin entails an arrogance which the idea of error lacks. Sin is the idea that you have successfully violated Reality. Your belief in sin proclaims that your attack on God is real and that your guilt is justified. It assumes that you have succeeded in losing your Innocence and in making yourself into something that is not of God. So you do not see that God’s Oneness is Eternal and you see God’s Will as open to opposition and defeat. Your idea of sin is the grand illusion underlying all of the personal mind’s self-inflation because the personal mind believes that it has changed God and has rendered God incomplete.
3. You can be mistaken, you can deceive yourself, and you can turn your mind against yourself but you cannot sin. There is nothing real that you can do that will change your Reality or make you guilty. But sin would do this because this is its purpose. Yet for all the wild insanity inherent in the idea of sin it is impossible because the wages of sin is death and you are Immortal and cannot die.
4. A major tenet in the personal mind’s insane religion is that it is not an error for you to believe in sin because sin is “truth” and that for you to believe in your Innocence is to deceive yourself. The personal mind believes it is arrogant for you to believe in your Purity and your acceptance of yourself as “sinful” it perceives as “holiness”. It is this doctrine that replaces the Reality that your Oneness with God is Willed by God Forever. This doctrine is not humility but an attempt to wrest you away from Truth and to keep you separate from It.
5. The personal mind finds it indefensible for you to attempt to reinterpret your belief in separation from God as an error. The idea of sin is wholly sacred to its thought system and if you must approach this idea you must do so with reverence and with awe. Sin is the personal mind’s most “holy” concept; wholly true to it, and as such, necessarily protected with every defense at the personal mind’s disposal. Your perception of your “sinfulness” is the personal mind’s best defense and the one which all of its other defenses serve. Your perception of your sinfulness is its armor, its protection, and the fundamental purpose it has for the special relationship.
6. You can indeed say that the personal mind makes its world on the idea of sin because only in such a world could everything be upside down. The idea that separation from God is real is the strange illusion that makes guilt seem heavy and impenetrable to you and that makes the foundation of the world that you perceive seem solid. Sin is the idea that seems to have changed Creation from God’s Oneness to an ideal that the personal mind wants: a mindless, corruptible, and decaying world of bodies that it rules. But this is only your mistake, which can easily be undone by Truth because Truth corrects mistakes when Truth is left to judge them. Yet if you give your mistake the status of “truth” to what can you bring it to be judged? The “holiness” of sin is kept in place for you by you giving it the status of “truth”. If sin is “truth” then you must bring everything to it to be judged. But your idea that separation from God is real is a mistake which must be brought to Truth. It is impossible for you to have faith in sin because your belief in sin means that you lack faith. But it is possible for you to have faith that a mistake can be corrected.
7. There is no thought more defended by the personal mind than the idea that your separation from God is real. To the personal mind the idea of sin is not a mistake; sin is the natural expression of what you have made yourself to be. To the personal mind sin is your “reality”; the “truth” that it is impossible for you to escape. Sin is your past, present, and future. You have corrupted part of God and changed God’s Mind completely. Mourn the death of God, Which sin has killed! This is the personal mind’s wish which, in its madness, it believes you have accomplished.
8. Don’t you want to know that your idea of separation from God and all that it has made is nothing more than a mistake that you can so easily correct that it is like walking through a mist into the sun? That is all that it is. Maybe you are tempted to agree with the personal mind that it is far better to be sinful than mistaken. But think carefully before you allow yourself to make this choice because it is your choice between hell and Heaven.
3. The Unreality of Sin
1. You can see your attraction to separation from God in the idea that it is a sin but not in the idea that it is an error in perception. When you perceive separation from God as “sin” - and therefore as real - you repeat it over and over again in many forms because you are attracted to it. You might become so afraid of punishment that you do not act out certain forms of separation but while you are attracted to separation from God you will suffer from guilt and not let go of the idea that it is a sin. Separation from God still calls to you and your mind hears it and yearns for it making you a willing captive to guilt’s sick appeal. Sin is the idea that your separation from God is an evil that you cannot correct but that you will always desire. It is an essential part of the personal mind and as long as you want the personal mind you will want your separation from God to be a sin – to be real. From this perspective you fear an avenging separate God as the only thing that can stamp out your sin.
2. The personal mind thinks that your separation from God calls for punishment and it does not think it possible that your belief that it is real calls for Love to correct it. And Love always answers. The personal mind brings sin to fear in its demand for punishment. But punishment is another form of protecting your idea that separation and guilt are real because only what has really happened can deserve punishment. Punishment is the great preserver of the idea that your perception of separation from God is real; a sin. You want what you think is real and you will not let go of what you think is real.
3. While you still want to be separate from God the idea that separation from God is only an error in your perception is not attractive you. What you see clearly as a mistake you will want to correct. Sometimes you can repeat a form of separation over and over again with obviously distressing results but without its losing its appeal to you because it’s a sin and it is therefore uncorrectable. But if you change its status from a “sin” to a “mistake” you will not repeat it; you will merely stop it and let it go. However, if guilt remains you will simply change to another form of separation, granting that the other form was a mistake and correctable but this one is a sin and therefore is not. This is not really a change in your perception because you will still believe that some forms of separation are a sin and that they are in need of punishment, not correction.
4. The Holy Spirit cannot punish sin because the Holy Spirit cannot perceive sin, only mistakes. Correcting mistakes is what God has entrusted the Holy Spirit to do. The Holy Spirit does not know sin and the idea that some of your mistakes cannot be corrected is meaningless to the Holy Spirit. Every mistake calls for correction. Your call for punishment is meaningless and your every mistake must be a call for Love. The idea of sin is the idea that separation from God is real and your belief in sin is only a mistake that you want to keep hidden. It is a call for Love that you want to keep unheard and unanswered by the Holy Spirit.
5. Like you, the Holy Spirit can clearly see that you make mistakes in time. But you do not share the Holy Spirit’s recognition of the difference between time and Eternity. When correction is completed the only time is now, which is Eternity. The Holy Spirit can teach you to look on time differently and to see beyond it to Eternity but not while you believe in sin; you must believe that your perception of separation from God is an error that can be corrected in your mind. Your belief in sin is your belief that your perception is unchangeable and that your mind must accept as true what it is told through your perception of separation. If you do not accept what sin seems to show you then the personal mind judges you as insane. And if you believe in the personal mind as the only power that can change your perception your mind is kept impotent and it is held to the body by your fear of the changed perception that the Holy Spirit in your mind can bring you.
6. When you are tempted to believe that separation from God is real remember this: If the separation is real you and God are not Real. Creation is extension and God extends only God, so it is impossible that What is Part of God is totally unlike the rest of God. If separation is sin and not a mistake then God must be at war with God. God must be split between good and evil; partial sanity and partial insanity. God would’ve created what wills to destroy God and has the power to do so. Isn’t it easier to believe that you have been mistaken than to believe this?
7. While you believe that bodies are real you will believe that separation from God is real and that it is therefore not a mistaken perception, but a sin. While you believe that bodies can unite you will find separation from God attractive and believe that it is precious. Your belief that bodies limit your mind leads to your perception of a world that seems to “prove” your separation from God everywhere. God’s Oneness seems split apart and overthrown. If separation is sin it “proves” that God’s Wholeness cannot remain Itself or prevail against your desire for separation. If separation is sin and not error then you perceive the personal mind as mightier than God. Is this humility or madness?
8. If your separation from God is sin and not just a mistaken perception then it is forever beyond the hope of healing. The idea of sin implies a power beyond God’s Power that is capable of making another will that can attack and overcome God’s Will. So you seem to have a will apart from God that is stronger than God’s Will and God’s Oneness seems to be fragmented into different wills that are eternally opposed to God’s Will and to each others’ wills. But your Holy relationship now has as its Purpose the goal of proving that this is impossible. Heaven smiles on your relationship and your belief in sin has been uprooted by Heaven’s Love. You still see the separation because you do not yet realize that its foundation is gone. The source of your perception of separation from God has been removed and so you can cherish it only a little while before it vanishes. It is only your habit of looking for it that remains in you.
9. Yet now you can look at your perception of separation with Heaven’s Smile on your lips and Heaven’s Blessing on your sight. You will not see separation for long because in your new Perception your mind corrects separation when it seems to be seen and it becomes invisible. You will recognize errors quickly and give them over for correction to be healed, not hidden. You will be healed of your belief in sin and of all of its ravages the instant that you stop giving it power over your perceptions. You will overcome your mistaken projections Joyously when you release your mind from the belief that separation from God is possible.
10. In the Holy Instant you see Heaven shining in your entire mind and you shine upon all that you perceive in happy acknowledgment of the Grace that has been given to your entire mind. Your perception of separation from God will not prevail against the Oneness of your mind when Heaven shines upon it. Forget what you have seen in the personal self’s past and raise your eyes in faith to What you can see now. Your barriers to Heaven will disappear before your Holy Vision now that you can see Truth. Don’t look back at what has been removed from your mind but look for the Glory that has been restored to your mind.
11. In your Holy relationship look on your Christ Mind instead of on the personal mind’s projections on the other and do not let the belief in sin rise to blind you. The belief in sin will keep your mind split but your Christ Mind wants you to look on your Self to replace the world in your mind. Your Holy relationship is now a healing place where you can bring all the personal mind’s weary projections to be exchanged. Here is your rest after a long journey. Your Holy relationship brings rest closer to your entire mind.
4. The Obstacles to Peace
1. As Peace extends from deep within you to embrace your entire mind and give it rest It will encounter many obstacles. Some of them you will recognize that you impose; other obstacles will seem to come from the world that you perceive outside of you. Yet Peace will gently undo these obstacles and extend past them completely unencumbered. The extension of the Holy Spirit’s Purpose from your Holy relationship to your entire mind will quietly extend to every aspect of your life, surrounding you with the glowing Happiness and calm awareness of Complete Protection. You will carry your relationship’s message of Love and Safety and Freedom to exchange for the personal mind’s projections and to heal your mind. You will not wait to extend this message because you will recognize in the personal mind’s projections your call for God. You will extend rest to your entire mind as rest was extended to you from your Holy relationship.
2. You will do all this when the Peace that already lies deep within you first extends in your mind and then flows across the obstacles that you have placed before It. You will do this because you undertake it with the Holy Spirit, Which leaves nothing unfinished. There is nothing outside of you to be sure of but you can be sure of this: The Holy Spirit within you asks that you offer the Holy Spirit a resting place where you can rest in the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit answered your invitation and entered your relationship to make it Holy. Now return the Holy Spirit’s Graciousness and enter into a Relationship with the Holy Spirit. The Holiness of your relationship comes from the Holy Spirit or you would not be able to see your Christ Mind in place of the personal mind’s projections onto the other.
3. The gratitude that you owe to the Holy Spirit the Holy Spirit asks you to accept because you are One. When you look with Gentle Graciousness on your perception of the other you are beholding the Holy Spirit because you are looking with What the Holy Spirit is. You cannot see the Holy Spirit but you can look out from your mind and choose to perceive Truth. And seeing Truth you will see All that you need to know. When the Peace in you has been extended to be all that you perceive the Holy Spirit’s Function will be complete. You will have no need for perceiving then. When God takes the last step the Holy Spirit will gather all the thanks and gratitude that you have offered to the Holy Spirit and will lay them Gently before God in the name of Christ. And God will accept them in Christ’s Name. There is no need of perception in the Presence of your Christ Mind’s Gratitude.
a. The First Obstacle: The Desire to Get Rid of It
1. The first obstacle within you that Peace must flow across is your desire to get rid of It. Peace cannot extend unless you keep It because you are the center from which It radiates outward in your awareness. You are Peace’s Home, Its Tranquil Dwelling Place from Which It gently reaches out, never leaving you. If you make Peace homeless then Peace cannot abide in What is One with God. For Peace to spread across your entire mind and bring it rest It must begin within you and be extended by you to replace all the personal mind’s projections.
2. Why don’t you want Peace? What do you think that Peace must replace to dwell within you? What seems to be the cost that you are unwilling to pay for Peace? A little barrier of separation still seems to stand between you and your Holy relationship. Do not reinforce it because you are not asked to let it go for the isolation of a little personal mind but for the Limitlessness of your Christ Mind. Your Christ Mind wants to extend Peace across your entire mind and this must begin within you. Do not let a tiny barrier stand between you and salvation for your entire mind. The little remnant of separation that you still cherish is the first obstacle that the Peace within you encounters as It tries to extend to be all that you perceive. This little wall of Self-hatred still opposes the Will of God and keeps It limited in your awareness.
3. The Holy Spirit’s Purpose rests in Peace within you but you are unwilling to wholly join with It. You still oppose the Will of God by just a little and that little is a limit that you impose upon the Whole. God’s Will is One, not many. It has no opposition because there is no other will. The little personal self that you still contain behind your little barrier, keeping it separate from the rest of your mind that you have projected onto a world, seems mightier than God because it holds God away from your awareness. Your little wall of separateness hides the Purpose of Heaven and keeps you from Heaven.
4. Salvation has become your Purpose so do not thrust it away from yourself. Peace can no more leave you than It can leave God. Do not fear the little obstacle that is your desire for separation because it cannot hold back the Will of God. Peace will flow across it and join you in Wholeness. Salvation cannot be withheld from you because it is your Purpose and there is no other purpose for you to choose. You asked the Holy Spirit to share Its Purpose with you and that Purpose is for your entire mind. Your little wall of separation will fall away so quietly beneath Peace and Peace will extend to replace the world in your mind as all the barriers that you have made fall away.
5. It is no more difficult for you to overcome the world that you perceive than it is for you to surmount your little wall of separation in your Holy relationship. Without this barrier every miracle is contained in the miracle of your Holy relationship. No miracle is harder than another because they are all the same. In each miracle the Appeal of Love for you wins over the appeal of separation. This is accomplished for you wherever you undertake to experience a miracle. Your guilt for your perception that you have separated yourself from God can raise no real barriers to Love and all that seems to stand between you and what your mind perceives will fall away because of the Appeal you answer. The Holy Spirit calls to you from you. The Holy Spirit’s Home is in your Holy relationship. Do not attempt to stand between the Holy Spirit and Its Holy Purpose because It is yours. Let the Holy Spirit quietly extend the miracle of your relationship to be all that you perceive because your entire mind is contained in your relationship.
6. In acknowledgement of the end of your fruitless journey there is a hush in Heaven, a Happy expectancy, and a little pause of Gladness. Heaven knows you well as you know Heaven well. No illusion stands between you and the Wholeness of your mind now. Do not look at illusions because Truth has arrived and illusions cannot keep you from God. Your every experience of a miracle is the end of an illusion. Your journey was through illusions and miracles are your journey’s ending. All illusions must end in the Goal of Truth that you have accepted.
7. You invited the Holy Spirit into your mind so your little insane wish to get rid of the Holy Spirit must produce conflict in you. As you look at the world in your mind your little wish can settle briefly on anything because it has no fixed purpose now. Before you welcomed the Holy Spirit your wish to keep the Holy Spirit from your awareness seemed to have a mighty purpose: your fixed and unchangeable dedication to your separation from God and the illusions it made. Now your wish for separation from God is aimless and pointless and causes no more than tiny interruptions in Love’s Appeal for you.
8. A world that seems outside of you is all that remains of this microscopic remnant of your belief that separation is real but it is no longer an unrelenting barrier to your Peace. Your pointless, wandering perceptions of what is left of your belief in separation make its results appear to be more erratic and unpredictable than before but nothing is more unstable than a tightly organized delusional system. Its seeming stability is its inherent weakness throughout. The varying perceptions that the remnant of your wish for separation induces in your mind merely show you the limits of the personal mind’s thought system.
9. Your microscopic wish for separation from God cannot stand before the Reality of your Oneness with God. This little wish is easily undone forever so part with it in gladness, not regret. It is nothing and it has always been nothing. Greet the Love of God and do not look upon your fading illusions.
1. The Attraction of Guilt
1. Your attraction to separation from God makes you fear Love because Love does not see separation at all. It is the Nature of Love to look only on Truth because Love sees Itself in Truth and unites with It in Holy Union and Completion. Love looks past fear as fear looks past Love because Love contains the end of your guilt for a separation that never happened and fear depends on your guilt for proof that your separation from God did happen. Love overlooks separation and guilt completely and is wholly without attack Itself so It cannot be afraid. Fear is attracted to the guilt that Love cannot see and fear and Love each believe that what the other looks upon does not exist. Fear looks on guilt with the same devotion that Love looks on Itself. Fear projects and Love extends and each perceives what it understands and what it wants to increase in its awareness.
2. Love’s extensions are gentle and increase in your mind your awareness of Love and Gentleness. Fear’s projections increase guilt in your awareness and it cherishes every scrap of proof of your separation from God that it can find. Your perception cannot obey two masters that ask for different things that are alien to each other. Love overlooks the separation that fear feeds upon. The guilt that fear demands Love cannot even see. Fear’s fierce attraction to guilt for your separation from God is wholly absent from Love’s Gentle Perception of your Oneness with God. And the Oneness that Love looks upon is meaningless and invisible to fear.
3. Your relationships to others in the world that you perceive are the result of what you see the world is for. Your seeing depends on which emotion – fear or Love – that you choose to experience and that you therefore project or extend. Fear projects guilt and increases guilt in your awareness. Fear is merciless and no one escapes its projection of sin and guilt.
4. Do not project fear’s savage desire for guilt onto a world that you made to replace Reality because it will teach you that you are limited to a body that is prey to corruption and decay. To guilt and fear this is beautiful. Guilt is frantic with the pain of fear and offers itself to fear to allay punishment.
5. The Holy Spirit extends Love instead of fear and Love is eager to return Itself to your awareness just as fear is eager to increase your fear. When you extend Love you look only on the Innocence of your Christ Mind. In the world that you perceive every little act of charity or forgiveness or Love is what stands out. Do not be afraid of this because it offers you salvation. The world that you perceive is a place of safety and kindness when safety and kindness are what you extend in your perception.
6. If you extend only the Love that the Holy Spirit extends to you and you want only This you will no longer see fear. The perceptions in your mind will be purified of guilt and softly brushed with Beauty. All the fear that you see in the world that you perceive is fear that you have laid upon it. You can extend Love instead to remove the fear. The Holy Spirit has extended Love to you to extend to your Holy relationship to return Love to your awareness. Love was extended to you to replace the fear that you projected and Love signifies the end of your fear.
7. Love sets a Pure, Quiet Joy before you that honors your Holy relationship and invites all that you perceive to join with It. In a Holy Instant of Grace your mind is One in your Christ Min, as your Christ Mind has promised to be with you. In your newly Holy relationship your Christ Mind is made welcome in your awareness and where your Christ Mind is made welcome there your Christ Mind is.
8. Your Christ Mind is made welcome by you in the State of
b. The Second Obstacle: The Belief the Body is Valuable for What It Offers
1. Peace must first surmount the obstacle of your desire to get rid of It and where you are attracted to separation from God you do not want Peace. The second obstacle that Peace must flow across is closely related to the first: your belief that the body is valuable for the separation from God that it seems to offer you. Here is your attraction to separation made manifest in the body.
2. Your identification with a body is the thing that you value and that you think Peace will take from you. You think Peace will replace the body and leave you homeless so you deny Peace a home within you. Giving up the body is the “sacrifice” that you think is too great for you to make and that you think is too much for the Holy Spirit to ask of you. But is it a sacrifice or a release for you to give up the body? What has the body given to you that justifies your strange belief that in it lies salvation? With the body comes your belief in death and the focus of your belief that you must “atone” for separating from God by letting God kill you. Your attachment to the body is the source of your fear of Love.
3. The Holy Spirit’s extensions of God’s Love reach beyond your mind’s perceptions of bodies to join your mind in Oneness and Peace. This is what your Christ Mind gives to you. Only fear perceives bodies because it looks for what can suffer. It is not a sacrifice for you to no longer identify with what can suffer. The Holy Spirit does not demand that you sacrifice all hope of the body’s pleasure because the body has no hope of pleasure. But the body cannot bring you pain either because the body does not choose your experience for you. The Holy Spirit does ask you to give up the pain of limiting yourself to a body and the Holy Spirit wants to remove this source of pain from your mind.
4. Peace extends from the Eternal to the Eternal in your mind and It flows across everything else. Your second obstacle to Peace is no more solid than the first because you do not really want to get rid of Peace or to limit It. The obstacles that you interpose between Peace and its extension are barriers that you place between your Will and Its accomplishment. You want Oneness with God not fear; you want salvation not the pain of guilt; you want God, not a body, to be your Home. Christ is in your Holy Relationship and Christ is always One with you and with God. When you agreed to join your mind by extending your Christ Mind to another who seemed to be outside of your mind you acknowledged this. This does not cost you anything but it releases you from the cost of separation.
5. You have paid dearly for your illusions and they have not brought you Peace. Be glad that you cannot sacrifice Heaven and that you cannot be asked to sacrifice. There is no obstacle that you can place before the union of your mind because in your Holy relationship your Christ Mind is already there. With your Christ Mind you will surmount all seeming obstacles because you are no longer outside the gates of Heaven but within them. And from within Heaven it is easy for you to let Peace bless your tired perception of a world separate from your mind. You have joined the Limitless and so it is easy for you to pass any seeming barriers. It is now up to you to end guilt so do not stop now to look for guilt in the other in your Holy relationship.
6. Let Jesus be a symbol to you of the end of guilt and extend your Christ Mind to your Holy relationship as you extend your Christ Mind to Jesus. Forgive Jesus for all of the sins that the personal mind projects onto everyone and in your forgiving you will remember your Christ Mind and forget your illusions. Jesus asks for your forgiveness because if you are guilty Jesus must be guilty. Jesus surmounted guilt and overcame His perception of a world and in your Christ Mind you are with Jesus in this. You see Jesus as a symbol of guilt or of the end of guilt depending on what you see within yourself.
7. From your Holy relationship Truth proclaims the Truth and Love looks on Love. Salvation flows from deep within the home that you have offered to your Christ Mind and to God and you are all One in Quiet Communion. Come faithfully to the Holy Union of God and Christ within you and do not keep yourself apart from Their gratitude for giving Peace Its Home in Heaven. Extend in your perception the Joyous message of the end of guilt and this message will be increased in you. Think of your Happiness as everyone becomes for you a Witness to the end of sin and shows you that the power of sin is gone forever. You have no guilt when your belief in guilt is gone and there is no death when guilt no longer calls for it.
8. Forgive your mind your illusions and release your Christ Mind from punishment for what It did not do. So you will learn the Freedom that your Christ Mind teaches by extending Freedom to others and releasing your Christ Mind. Your Christ Mind is within your Holy relationship but you block your awareness of your Christ Mind behind the obstacles that you raise to Freedom. It is not possible for you to keep away What is already in your relationship. From your Christ Mind your new Perception will extend to replace the world in your mind.
1. The Attraction of Pain
1. Your little part is to give to the Holy Spirit the whole idea of sacrifice and to accept the Peace that the Holy Spirit extends to you in its place without limiting your awareness of Its extension. What the Holy Spirit extends to you must be extended by you if you want Its Limitless Power to release your Christ Mind. You do not really want to be rid of Peace and having It within you, you cannot really limit It. If Peace is homeless so are you and so is your Christ Mind and so is God, Which is your Home. Do you want to search for Peace forever and invest your hope for Peace and Happiness in what must fail?
2. Your faith in the Eternal is always justified because the Eternal is Forever Kind, Infinite in Its Patience, and Wholly Loving. It will wholly accept you and give you Peace but It can only unite with What is already at Peace in you and is as Immortal as Itself. The body can bring you neither Peace nor chaos, neither Joy nor pain because it is a means and not an end. The body has no purpose of its own but only the purpose that you give to it. Whatever goal you assign to the body, the body will seem to be a means of attaining that goal. Peace and guilt are both conditions of your mind; they are goals to be attained. These conditions are home of the emotions – Love or fear – that call on them and are therefore compatible with them.
3. Which emotion is compatible with you? In this your choice is free but what lies in your choice will come with it and what you think you are can never be apart from your choice. The body seems to have betrayed your faith in it because it has disappointed you but only because you ask of it what it can never give. But your mistaken faith in it is not grounds for depression, disillusionment, and retaliation on the body. Do not use your error of expecting something from the body that it cannot give to justify your lack of faith in it. You have not sinned but you have been mistaken in where you have put your faith. The correction of your mistake will justify your faith in What deserves your faith.
4. It is impossible for you to seek for pleasure through the body and not find pain. It is essential that you understand why this is because the personal mind uses the pain of guilt that comes with the body’s pleasure as proof of “sin”. The relationship between pleasure and pain is not punitive at all but the inevitable result of your mind identifying with a body. This limitation on yourself invites pain because it invites guilt for separating from God and fear of God’s punishment. Guilt and fear become your purpose when you identify with a body. Your attraction to separation from God is the source of your identification with a body and whatever the personal mind directs the body to do is therefore painful. The body will share the pain of all illusions and the illusion of pleasure will be the same as the illusion of pain.
5. Under the personal mind’s orders the body pursues separation through the illusion of pleasure and thereby serves the personal mind’s attraction to the guilt and fear that maintain the illusion of its existence. This is your attraction to pain. Ruled by the perception that the pain of separation from God is really pleasure the body serves pain and seeks it out dutifully. This false idea underlies all of the personal mind’s heavy investment in the body. And the insane relationship between pleasure and pain keeps this investment hidden from you while the personal mind feeds upon it. To you the personal mind whispers: “The body’s pleasure is happiness” but to itself it whispers: “The body is death.”
6. Why should the body be anything to you? It is certainly not made of anything precious and, just as certainly, it has no feeling of its own. The body transmits to you the feelings that you want. Like any communication medium it receives and sends the messages that it receives and it has no feeling for the messages. All of the feelings that the body has are given to it by you – the sender and the receiver of the messages that you want it to give to you. Both the personal mind and the Holy Spirit recognize this but the Holy Spirit tells you this with Joy and the personal mind hides this from you. You would not send messages of hatred and attack if you understood that you send them to yourself. You would not accuse, make guilty, and condemn yourself if you understood that this is what you are doing.
7. The personal mind always projects its messages away from you to cause someone else to suffer for your attack on yourself and the guilt this causes. You might suffer, yes, but someone else will suffer more. The personal mind recognizes that this is not really so because your thoughts do not leave your mind but as the “enemy” of Peace it urges you to send out all of your messages of hate to free yourself from them. To convince you that this is possible it calls on the body to find pain by attacking another, calls it pleasure, and offers you this as freedom from attack.
8. Do not hear the personal mind’s madness and do not believe that the impossible is true. The personal mind has dedicated the body to the goal of making separation from God real to you and it places all of its faith in its accomplishing this. In your identification with a personal self you see praise of the body everywhere in celebration of the personal mind’s rule over God. But you cannot really believe that yielding to your attraction to separation from God, which brings your guilt and fear, is the way to escape from pain. You think that you would die without the body but in the body your death is inevitable.
9. You do not see that in your identification with a personal self you have dedicated yourself to death. Freedom from death is offered to you but you do not yet accept it. What is offered to you, you must accept for it to be truly given because you give only to yourself. The Holy Spirit is also a Communication Medium, receiving God’s Message of Love and extending It to you. Like the personal mind the Holy Spirit is both the sender and receiver because What is sent through the Holy Spirit is received by the Holy Spirit. What the Holy Spirit sends seeks and finds Itself. So does the personal mind seek the death it wants for you and this is what you receive when you identify with it.
c. The Third Obstacle: The Attraction of Death
1. In your Holy relationship the means are given to you to be released from your dedication to death. They were offered to you and you accepted them but you must learn more about this strange dedication of yours because it contains the third obstacle that Peace must flow across. You cannot die unless you choose death and what seems to be your fear of death is really your attraction to it. Guilt, too, is frightening to you but it has no hold over you unless you are attracted to it and you seek it out. The concept of death was made by your split mind and death’s shadow falls across everything in the world that you perceive because the personal self is the “enemy” of Life.
2. But a shadow cannot kill and what is a shadow to the Living? Walk past death and it is gone. Those in the world that you perceive who seem to be dedicated to the idea of sin and death need only to be forgiven for your projection of death onto them and you are freed from death. You can forgive the death sentence that your belief in separation from God lays on the world that you perceive and therefore on yourself. This is not arrogance but the Will of God. Nothing is impossible for you who chose God’s Will as your own. Death is nothing to you and your real dedication is not to death or to its master, the personal mind. When you accepted the Holy Spirit’s Purpose in place of the personal mind’s purpose you rejected death and exchanged it for Life. An idea does not leave the mind that thinks it and death is the result of your belief that the personal self is you as surely as Life is the result of you knowing that you are a Thought in God’s Mind.
1. The Incorruptible Body
1. From your split mind come the ideas of sin and guilt and death in opposition to Life and Innocence and the Will of God. This opposition can only lie in a sick mind that is dedicated to madness and that is set against the Peace of Heaven. One thing is sure: God made neither sin nor death and God does not will that you be bound by them. God does not know of separation from God or of its seeming results. If you honor death you do not honor God, Which wills that you live. If you honor death you are not following God’s Will; you are opposing It.
2. What is the body that you will bury? It is a symbol of your dedication to death and corruption and of your sacrifice to separation from God. It is your offering of “sin” to the personal mind to keep it alive. It is a thing condemned and damned by the personal mind, which made it, and it is lamented by other bodies that look on it as themselves. If you believe that you have condemned Part of God to this you are arrogant but if you release your mind from its projections of separation you are honoring God’s Will. The arrogance of your belief that your separation from God is real, the pride you take in your guilt for this, and your denial that only God is Real are all part of your unrecognized dedication to death. The guilt that the personal mind lays on the body will kill it because what the personal mind loves it kills for obeying it. But what does not obey the personal mind cannot be killed by it.
3. But through your acceptance of the Holy relationship you now have a dedication to Life that will keep the body incorruptible and perfect as long as it is useful for your Holy Purpose. The body can no more die than it can feel. Of itself it is neither corruptible, nor incorruptible. It does nothing and it is nothing. The body is just the result of your tiny, mad idea of corruption, which you can correct. God has answered your insane idea with the Holy Spirit within you. The Holy Spirit has not left God and It therefore brings God to your awareness.
4. Through your acceptance of the Incorruptible you have the Power to release yourself from your belief in the corruptible. There is no better way to teach yourself the fundamental principle of miracles that all miracles are equal than to show that what seems to be the hardest can be accomplished first. The body will serve your chosen purpose and what you see in the body it will seem to be to you. If death were true it would be the final and complete destruction of your Oneness with God, which is the personal mind’s goal.
5. You seem to fear death but you do not see how often and how loudly you call to death to come save you from Oneness with God. In your identification with a personal self you see death as your safety, the great savior from Truth, and the answer to and silencer of the Holy Spirit. But your retreating to death does not end the conflict of your split mind. Only the Holy Spirit is the Answer to your conflict. Your seeming “love” for death seems to be a great obstacle for Peace to flow across because in this obstacle lies hidden all of the personal mind’s strange devices for deceiving you into believing that separation from God is your salvation. Death seems to be the end of Oneness, the triumph of the personal mind’s limitations over God’s Limitless Extension, the victory of lifelessness over Life Itself.
6. The personal mind wants to lay a body that is supposed to be you and that is slain by its orders under the dusty mantle of its insane world. A decaying body is “proof” that God is powerless before the personal mind and unable to protect the Life Which is One with God from the personal mind’s savage wish to kill. You who are One with God should know that death is only an illusion. The body does not lead you to death so do not ask it for release from death. Free it from the merciless and unrelenting orders that you have laid upon it and forgive it what you ordered it to do. In your identification with a personal self you exalt the body and you command it to die because only death can conquer Life. Only in insanity can you look upon the defeat of God as something real.
7. Your fear of death will go from you as your attraction to it yields to the real attraction of Love. The end of your perception that separation from God is real is very near. It is nestled quietly in the safety of your Holy relationship and it is protected by the Oneness that you extend to your relationship as it grows into a mighty force for your remembering God. The beginning of your salvation is carefully guarded by Love, is preserved from every thought that wants to attack it, and is quietly made ready to fulfill the mighty task for which it was given to you. Your newborn Purpose is nursed by Thoughts of God, cherished by the Holy Spirit, and protected by God Itself. It does not need your protection because It is your Protection. It cannot die and within it lays the end of death.
8. When you are aware that you are wholly Innocent you will not be able to conceive of attack or danger of any kind. Fear will not enter to disturb your Peace when your belief in separation from God is gone. Your Holy relationship, even at the beginning, is One with God and with you. Within it in perfect safety is every miracle that you will ever extend. The miracle is ageless, born in time but nourished in Eternity. Behold the miracle, which you have given a resting place in your forgiveness of the personal mind’s projections on the other and see in it the Will of God. Here is your Christ Mind reborn in your awareness and you will follow Christ, not to the cross but to the resurrection and the Life.
9. When any thing or situation seems to be the source of your fear remember that it is always for one reason: the personal mind perceives it as a symbol of fear; a sign that your separation from God and death are real. Remember then that as a symbol what you are looking on you can see to stand for Something Else. Its meaning is not in itself but in your mind so it can represent Love or fear depending on what you choose it to reflect. When you are uncertain how to look on something do not judge it with the personal mind. Remember the Holy Presence of the Holy Spirit, Which is given to you to judge for you. Give the situation to the Holy Spirit and say:
Take this from me and judge it for me.
I will not use it as a sign of separation from God or of death,
Nor will I use it as an obstacle to Peace.
Teach me how to use it to bring Peace back into my awareness.
d. The Fourth Obstacle: The Fear of God
1. What will you see and think and feel without the fear of death or your attraction to separation from God? Very simply, you will remember only that God is Reality extending Infinitely. As you begin to remember God Peace must still surmount a final obstacle within you. After this your salvation is complete and you will be entirely restored to Sanity. Here the world in your mind does end.
2. This fourth obstacle hangs like a heavy veil before your perception of your Christ Mind. But as you begin to extend your Christ Mind and to perceive Christ’s Joy in God’s Love beyond the veil, the Peace within you will lightly brush aside this veil and rush at last to join in Christ all that your mind perceives. This dark veil, which seems to make your Christ Mind frightening to you, will fade from your mind when your attraction to separation and to death is gone.
3. This is the darkest veil, upheld by your belief in death and your attraction to separation from God. Your dedication to death and to death’s authority is the solemn vow that you have made to the personal mind to never lift this veil or even to suspect that it is there. This veil is the secret bargain that you have made with the personal mind to keep What lies beyond the veil forever blotted out of your memory. It is your promise to never allow Oneness to call you out of separation. And it is the great amnesia in which you seem to have forgotten God and you seem split from your Self. Your fear of God is the final step in your denial of God.
4. See how your belief in death seems to “save” you? If death is gone what is there left for you to fear but Life? It is your attraction to separation from God that makes God seem ugly, cruel, and tyrannical. You are really no more afraid of death than you are of the personal mind because they are your chosen friends. In your secret alliance with them you have agreed to never let your fear of God be lifted so that you can perceive your Christ Mind and unite with God.
5. Your every obstacle that Peace must flow across is surmounted in the same way: your fear that raised the obstacle gives way to Love and is gone. Your desire to get rid of Peace and to drive away the Holy Spirit from your mind fades in your quiet recognition that you love the Holy Spirit. Your adoration of the body gives way to the Holy Spirit, Which you love as you could never love the body. And the appeal of separation and death is lost to you forever as Love attracts and calls you to Oneness. From beyond each of your obstacles to Love, Love Itself calls to you and you surmount each by the Power of your attraction to Love. Your desire for separation and the fear that defends it seems to hold your obstacles in place. But when you hear the Voice of Love beyond them they disappear in your answer.
6. Now you stand in terror before the veil that you swore to never look upon. You remember your promise to your “friends” – your desire for separation from God, guilt, fear, and death. They scream at you to not look at your fear of God and you fear the personal mind will get revenge on you because you are deserting it. You realize that if you look on your fear of God and let the veil be lifted your “friends” will be gone forever and your “protection” and “home” will vanish. You know that you will not remember anything that you remember now.
7. It seems to you that the world that you perceive will utterly abandon you if you look on your fear of God. But all that will happen is that you will let go of the world. This re-establishes your Will. Look on your fear of God with open eyes and you will never again believe that you are at the mercy of things outside of you, forces out of your control, or thoughts that come to you against your will. It is your Will to look on this. No mad desire for separation from God, no trivial impulse to forget God again, no stab of fear or terror at seeming death can stand against your True Will. The Love that attracts you from beyond the veil of your fear of God is also deep within you and you are One with It.
1. The Lifting of the Veil
1. Do not forget that it is not the personal mind that has led you this far in your Holy relationship. You cannot use the personal mind’s help to surmount your obstacles to Peace because it does not open its secrets to you and ask you to look on them and then go beyond them. The personal mind does not want you to see its weaknesses and learn that it has no power to keep you from Truth. The Holy Spirit is the Guide that has brought you to your Holy relationship and that remains with you. When you are ready you will look on terror with no fear at all. But first, look in Innocence on the other in your relationship with faith born of your complete forgiveness of the personal mind’s projections.
2. You cannot look on your fear of God without terror unless you have accepted correction of your perception that you are separate from God and learned that illusions are not real. You cannot stand before the obstacle of your fear of God without first extending your Holiness to your perception of another in the world that seems outside of you because you will not dare to look at your fear without first forgiving yourself your perception of separation from God. Stand before this obstacle and do not tremble; you are ready. Join with your Christ Mind in a Holy Instant in this place where the Holy Instant has led you. Join in faith that God, the Source of your Christ Mind, offers you the Innocence that you need and in faith that, for your Love of Christ and of God, you will accept Innocence
3. It is not possible for you to look on your fear of God too soon. It is inevitable that you will reach this place when you are ready and once you have seen your Holiness in your perception of another in the world that you thought was outside of you, you are ready. But merely to reach this place is not enough. A journey without a purpose is meaningless and you won’t know that it is over until you realize that its purpose is accomplished. Here, with the journey’s end before you, you see its purpose – to look upon your fear of God. And here you choose whether to look upon it or to wander off, only to return later and make the choice again.
4. You do need some preparation to look on your fear of God. Only the Sane can look on insanity with pity and compassion instead of fear. Only if you share in insanity is it frightening to you and you do share in insanity until, in faith, you extend Love in your perception of another in the world that you perceive. You have not forgiven yourself, though you stand before forgiveness in your Holy relationship. You are afraid of God because you are afraid to extend Love to another. You fear those to whom you do not extend forgiveness and you cannot reach Love while fear is still real to you.
5. You still see the personal mind’s projections of separation on the other and your interpretation of the other is frightening. You still attack the other to keep what seems to be yourself unharmed. Yet in your relationship with the other is your salvation. You see in the other the personal mind that you project onto them and you hate it because it is in your mind. All the forgiveness that you could extend to heal your mind gives way to fear. But you need to forgive the other your projections because you see your own mind reflected in your relationship with the other and this can be madness or Heaven. You must extend your faith that only God is Real to all that you perceive or you do not have faith at all.
6. Beside you is one who offers you correction when you choose to extend the Holy Spirit in your perception of them. Your choice is to hold the personal mind’s projections against the other or to accept the Gift of Love’s Extension by seeing Love instead. You will receive from your perception of the other in your relationship what you extend to them. In your perception of the other you have the power to forgive your perception of separation from God. You cannot accept forgiveness for yourself in the limited, isolated personal mind. Your salvation is in taking back your perceptions of a world of separation and in letting your mind be What it is as Part of God. Do not seek to make part of your mind a separate enemy when it is Love and you are One with it.
7. Your Christ Mind, Holy and Beautiful, is with you as you perceive yourself walking through a world. You thought that sin was real because you chose to throw the veil of separation that is the world across your mind to hide your Christ Mind. But your Christ Mind is still here holding out forgiveness to you so that you can share in Christ’s Holiness. The seemingly separate world still offers you salvation when you use it to perceive a reflection of your Christ Mind. When you worship separation from God you do not see that you attack yourself.
8. Your mind seems crucified by your perception that separation from God is real and it waits to be released from pain. Forgive your perception of illusions because only then can your perception offer you forgiveness. Correct your perception that the world is real and your mind will be corrected as surely as you are One with God and God loves you. You will find correction in the world that you perceive because you both extend it there and receive it there. You can extend the Grace of Heaven to the world that you perceive to receive Grace from your Christ Mind. Do not let the world that you perceive withhold Grace from you by not extending Grace in place of the world yourself. Correction is yours to extend and so to increase in your awareness. What you forgive in your perception is freed and you are freed with your perceptions. Forgive the world all the “evidence” of your separation from God and all the guilt that you think you see there.
9. With your Christ Mind you will return again and again to correction until you accept complete correction. Before you condemn the other in your Holy relationship remember that your perception of them is your perception of yourself. Thank God for your Holiness, Which you can see in your perception of the other. Unite your mind in gladness and remove all traces of guilt that you have projected onto the other to disturb and torture your mind. Do not project separation onto the other and believe that it is uncorrectable and hopeless, but lift all belief in sin from your mind and toss it away.
10. Extend your faith in your Christ Mind to your Holy relationship because faith and hope and mercy are yours to give and so to increase in your awareness. Look on the other and see the Gift of God that is for you. It is almost Easter, the time of resurrection. Extend correction that you may rise with your Christ Mind in resurrection, not separate from It in death. Through the Holy Spirit your Christ Mind extends Freedom to you for you to extend to your relationship and to return to the Holy Spirit. Through extension of your Oneness everywhere you learn that you are One and Free. The Holy Spirit unites you with your Christ Mind so that you can again make the decision for correction.
11. Extend your Christ Mind to your relationship to free yourself because you can only be Free in your awareness that you are One with God. See Innocence, not guilt, in place of the personal mind’s projections on the other because this is what your Christ Mind sees. This is how you are prepared for the resurrection of Christ in your mind. Let God rise in your memory. God does not know of separation or death, only Eternal Life.
12. With your Christ Mind you will disappear into the Presence beyond the veil. Here you will find your Home and you will go beyond perception to God. God’s Plan for salvation will be done. God is your journey’s Purpose and Meaning. Beyond the veil you are in God’s Eternal Peace; in the Rest and the Quiet that you seek. This is the whole reason for the journey that you have undertaken. Heaven is the Gift that you owe to your entire mind. It is the dept of gratitude that you owe to your Christ Mind for What you are in Oneness with God.
13. Think carefully how you look upon the other in your Holy relationship because as you look on them you look upon the gift that you want to receive from them. The other seems to offer you either guilt or salvation but you extend to them what you want to receive. If you want pain then you will project the source of your pain onto them. But if you want correction then you will extend Joy to them because you want to be healed of pain. You will recognize your choice by what you extend and what is increased in your awareness. The choice is yours and nothing can interfere with it.
14. You have come this far in your Holy relationship because the journey to God was your choice. You would not have undertaken this journey if you thought it was meaningless. What you had faith in still has faith in you. The Holy Spirit’s Strong, Gentle faith in you will lift you far beyond the veil and will place you in the Sure Protection of God. Going beyond the veil is the only Purpose that the world that you perceive and your journey through it has. Beyond the veil you have no need for a world or a journey. You still lack conviction that the world has a purpose or that there is a journey to take but it is given to you to see your Purpose in your Holy relationship, where you extend your Christ Mind and you recognize your Self.
 For example, let’s say you have an addiction. If you believe that you are truly the personal self (separate from God; a “sinner”) then you might believe that you can change your behavior but not the actual addiction (the “sin”). However, if you realize that you are not separate from God, that in God you have Everything, and that seeking for salvation (happiness, peace, wholeness, etc.) in your substance of choice is only the result of your error of identifying with a limited personal self you can let go of the addiction. But if you still hold on to guilt by identifying with a personal self you may overcome an addiction but switch to another form of seeking outside yourself for relief from the pain of perceiving yourself separate from God. Nothing will really have changed; you will still anticipate punishment.
 In the original this part is written for two who are supporting each other in a Holy relationship of which both are aware. Since many students do not share this experience simultaneously with another this translation is written from the perspective of only one party. But two who are experiencing the Holy relationship together would each practice extending Love and forgiveness in the same way to support each other.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|