|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 20: The Vision of Holiness
1. Holy Week
1. This is Palm Sunday, a day to celebrate your overcoming the personal mind through your acceptance of Truth. Do not spend this Holy week brooding on your crucifixion in your identification with a personal mind but happily celebrate your Christ Mindís release. Easter is the sign of Peace, not of pain. A slain Christ is meaningless but a risen Christ is the symbol of your forgiveness of yourself. It is the sign that you look upon yourself as healed and whole.
2. This week begins with palms that symbolize the success of your journey of overcoming the personal mind and ends with white lilies that represent your Christ Mindís Innocence. Do not let any dark symbol of crucifixion intervene between your journey and its Purpose: your acceptance of Truth and Its expression. This week celebrate Life, not death. Honor the Perfect Purity of your Christ Mind and not the personal mindís perceptions of ďsinĒ. Extend to the other in your Holy relationship the gift of lilies (Love), not the ďgiftĒ of thorns (fear). You stand beside the other with Love and fear in your mind, uncertain which to extend or project. Join with your Christ Mind and throw away the thorns and extend lilies in their place. This Easter you will forgive your Christ Mind the illusions that you project onto It and you will have forgiveness returned to you. You cannot unite with your Christ Mind in crucifixion and death. The resurrection of your Christ Mind is not complete until, as Jesus did, you wholly forgive the illusions that you have projected onto your Christ Mind.
3. A week is short but this Holy week is the symbol of the whole journey you have undertaken with your Christ Mind. It starts with the promise of your resurrection, so do not wander into the temptation of crucifixion and delay yourself. Go in Peace beyond the crucifixion with the Innocence of your Christ Mind offering you correction and release from your perception of separation from God. Do not hold yourself back with thorns and nails when full correction is so near but let your Innocence speed you on your way to resurrection.
4. If you catch glimpses of your Christ Mind beyond the veil of your denial as you forgive the illusions that the personal mind projects onto the other in your relationship you will recognize Truth. Your Christ Mind seemed to be a stranger to you and yet you have become willing to extend Godís Love to remember your Christ Mind. In your forgiveness of your illusions lies your Christ Mindís release and your correction. The time of Easter is a time of Joy, not of mourning. Look on your Christ Mind, Which has risen in your awareness, and celebrate your Christ Mindís Holiness. Easter is the time of your salvation as well as Jesusí.
2. The Gift of Lilies
1. Look upon all the trinkets that are made to hang on the body, to cover it, or for it to use. See all the useless things you made for the bodyís eyes to see and think of the many offerings you make for the bodyís pleasure. And then remember that all of these were made to make a body that you hate seem lovely. In your identification with a personal self you use the body to attract others to you, not recognizing that you are offering yourself fear by trying to justify the bodyís value to you through anotherís acceptance of it. Your ďgiftĒ of the body also makes the other worthless to you because their acceptance and delight in the body acknowledges the lack of value that they place on their self.
2. What you can truly give and receive cannot be given through the body. Bodies can neither offer, nor accept; neither hold back, nor take away. Only your mind can value and only your mind decides what it will project or extend and therefore receive. What you offer with your mind depends on what you want to increase in your awareness. Your split mind will adorn your chosen home carefully, making it ready to receive what you want. If the body is your chosen home you will adorn it to attract others to increase separation, guilt, and fear in your awareness. But if you recognize that your mind is your home you will adorn it with Love and extend Love to increase Love in your awareness. With your mind you will project or extend what you judge yourself worthy of receiving.
3. What you extend in your perception is an evaluation of your own mind. Your chosen home (mind or body) is an altar to yourself and you will see in your perception witnesses to your choice that will reinforce your devotion to it. From your mind you project or extend what you want increased in your awareness. Here is the value that you place on your entire mind; your judgment of what you are. Do not forget that in your perception you see your condemnation or your salvation. Project fear and you are crucified; extend Love and you are Free.
4. Your Christ Mind has a great need for you to extend Love because you have not yet forgiven yourself your illusions. Your Christ Mind cannot offer you forgiveness when you still project guilt and fear and think that they are real. You are against your Christ Mind then and you cannot be whole without your Christ Mind. Forgive the illusions that you perceive in others so that you can see your Christ Mind and know that you are Whole. Look in your mind and see whether Love or fear is your chosen home. If you see fear then the body is your chosen home and you offer your Christ Mind separation. And yet your mind is not what it was and if you look closer fear is gone.
5. You still see with the bodyís eyes and all that they can report is separation. But you have asked for and received another Vision. You share the Holy Spiritís Purpose now so you also share the Holy Spiritís Vision. The Holy Spiritís ability to extend Love everywhere is yours now, too. The Holy Spirit does not see separate selves; only One Holy Self everywhere. The Holy Spirit does not see fear; only Innocence shining Peacefully on Everything that the Holy Spirit loves.
6. This Easter look with a different Vision on your Holy relationship. You have forgiven your Christ Mind your illusions and yet your Christ Mind cannot use your Love while you do not see It. You cannot use What your Christ Mind gives to you unless you choose to use It with your Christ Mind. The Holy Spiritís Vision is not an idle gift to be played with for a while and then tossed aside. Listen carefully: Donít think that the Holy Spiritís Vision is an illusion, a careless thought to play with, or a toy to pick up from time to time. If you do, this is what It will be to you.
7. You have the Vision now to look past illusions. It has been given to you to no longer see fear, separation, or obstacles to Peace. Your fear of God is nothing to you who can now see your Christ Mind in place of the personal mindís projections on the other. With your Christ Mind in your awareness your Vision has become the greatest Power for the undoing of illusions that God can give. What God gives to the Holy Spirit you receive. Your Christ Mind looks to you for release because you have asked for the strength to look on the final obstacle of your fear of God and to no longer see fear or death.
8. The Home that you have chosen is beyond the veil of your fear of God. It is ready to receive you. You will not see It with the bodyís eyes, yet all that you need to see It you already have. Your Home has called to you since time began and you have never failed to hear It. You just did not know how or where to look for It. Now you know. In you, God lies ready to be unveiled and your awareness of God is ready to be freed from the terror that has kept God hidden from you. There is no fear in Love. Easter is a symbol that Christ was never crucified. Lift your eyes with your Christ Mind, not in fear but in faith that only God is Real. There is no fear in your Christ Mind because your Christ Mindís Vision does not see illusions, only a path to Heaven, your Quiet, Gentle, Peaceful Home.
9. The Holiness that you extend in your perception of the other in your Holy relationship will lead you Home. The Innocence that you extend will light your way, guiding you and protecting you, shining from the Holiness that you extend in your forgiving your illusions. Let your Perception of the other in your Holy relationship be your Savior from illusions as you look on them with the new Vision that looks on Love and that brings you Joy. With your Christ Mind you go beyond the veil of fear. The Holiness that leads you is within you, just as your Home is within you. You will find What God means for you to find.
10. This is the way to Heaven and the Peace of Easter. Join your Christ Mind in the glad awareness that you have risen from the personal selfís past to awaken to the present. Now you are Free and Limitless in your Oneness with All that is within you. Now is your Innocence untouched by guilt and perfectly protected from fear and the belief that separation from God is real. Your extension of Love to your relationship saves you from pain and fear, and your Christ Mind, Which you see in it, is the Strength that guides you through and beyond fear. Walk in your Holy relationship rejoicing because your Christ Mind has come into your awareness to save you from your illusions and to lead you Home.
11. The Christ that you see in your Holy relationship is your Savior and your mind is released from crucifixion through your Vision of Christ in all that you perceive. In your pain your Christ Mind will not leave you, who are One with Christ. With your Christ Mind you will gladly walk the way of Innocence as you behold the open door of Heaven and recognize the Home that has called to you. Joyously extend your Freedom and your Strength to lead you Home and to replace the world in your mind. Extend your Holiness, Where Strength and Freedom are, to receive the awareness that leads you Home. Christ is in you and in your mindís perception and your Christ Mind will lead you past fear to Love.
3. Sin as an Adjustment
1. Your belief that separation from God is real is an adjustment in your mind. An adjustment is a change or a shift in perception. In this case, it is your belief that God was True before the adjustment and has been made different by your adjustment. Every adjustment you make is therefore a distortion of Truth and needs defenses to hold it up against Reality. Your Knowledge of God does not require any adjustment and is in fact not Knowledge of God if any shift or change occurs. Change of any kind reduces your Knowledge of God to perception because your certainty is lost when doubt has entered. It is necessary for you to make adjustments in the impaired condition of perception because it is not True. You donít need to adjust to Truth because Truth is What you are and you inherently understand It.
2. Only the personal mind makes adjustments. It is the personal mindís fixed belief that all relationships depend on adjustments to make them what it wants them to be. To the personal mind Oneness, Which is a Relationship in Which there is nothing to interfere with Eternal Extension, is dangerous. It appoints itself mediator of all of your relationships in the world that you perceive to make whatever adjustments it deems necessary to interpose obstacles to your awareness of Oneness and to keep your mind separated. It is this studied interference that makes it difficult for you to extend Oneness in your perception of the other in your Holy relationship.
3. In your Holiness you do not interfere with Truth or fear It because it is within Truth that you recognize your Holiness and rejoice. In your Holiness you look directly at Truth and do not attempt to adjust to It or to adjust It to you. So you learn that Holiness is in you and you do not decide to see It someplace else. Looking out from your Holiness is a way of asking, ďWho am I?Ē, and the Holiness that you extend in your looking is What answers you. But in your identification with a personal self you make a world on which to look and then you adjust to the world that you perceive and make the world adjust to you. And you see no difference between you and the world because you made both.
4. A simple question remains and it needs an answer: Do you like this world of murder and attack, through which you thread your timid way through constant dangers, isolated and frightened, hoping that death will wait a little longer before it overtakes you and you disappear? You have made this up. It is a picture of what you think you are. You believe that you are a murderer of God and you are frightened because those who kill fear death. What you perceive are your fearful thoughts as you adjust yourself to a world made fearful by your adjustments. You look out in sorrow from sadness within and see the sadness outside of you.
5. Do you wonder what your perception will be through Happy eyes? The world that you perceive is a judgment on yourself. It is not really there at all but judgment lays a sentence on it, which justifies it and makes it real to you. Such is the world that you see: a judgment on you by you. This sickly picture of yourself is carefully preserved outside of you by the personal mind because it is its image and it loves it. This is the world to which you must adjust as long as you believe that it is outside of you and that it has you at its mercy. This world is merciless and if it were outside of you your fear of it would be justified. But you are the one who made mercilessness and you can correct this.
6. Your awareness of unholiness cannot long remain now that you have a Holy relationship. When you perceive through your Holiness your mind is One, just as the personal mind sees a world that is like itself. The Holiness that you perceive is Beautiful because you see your Innocence in It. In your awareness of your Holiness you do not make a world and then make it adjust to fit your orders. You gently ask ďWhat are you?Ē of the part of your mind that perceives and the Holy Spirit answers with a Perception of Holiness. Do not take the judgment of the personal mindís world as an answer to your question ďWhat am I?Ē. The personal mindís world is the belief that separation from God is real and this belief is not outside of your mind.
7. You are One with God so do not seek to adjust to your insanity. There is a stranger in your mind that you invited to wander into Truth but the stranger will wander off. This stranger came without a purpose and will be gone because you accepted the Love that the Holy Spirit offered. In Love the stranger is made homeless but you are welcome. Do not ask this transient stranger ďWho am I?Ē because this stranger is the one thing that cannot know. Yet it is the stranger that you ask and it is the strangerís answer to which you try to adjust. This one wild thought, fierce in its arrogance, but so tiny and meaningless that it slips by unnoticed in Reality, has become your guide. To it you turn to ask the meaning of all that you see. Of this one thing which is blind to God you ask, ďHow should I, who am One with God, look on myself?Ē
8. Do not ask for the judgment of what is totally without judgment. If you have, why would you believe the answer and adjust to it as if it were the truth? The world of separation that you perceive is the answer that it gave and you have given it the power to adjust the world to make its answer seem true. You have asked this puff of madness for the meaning of your unholy relationship and you adjusted the relationship according to its insane answer. Did it make you happy? Did you bless yourself with Joy by extending Christ in your perception of the other to give thanks for all the Happiness that your Christ Mind extends to you? Did you see in your relationship with the other the Eternal Gift of God to you? Did you see your Holiness reflected in your perception of the other? That is the purpose of your Holy relationship. Do not ask how to attain this of the one thing that still wants your relationship to be unholy. Do not give it any power to adjust the means and the end.
9. Prisoners who are bound with heavy chains for years, starved and emaciated, weak and exhausted, with eyes so used to darkness that they donít remember the light do not leap with joy the moment that they are freed. It takes them a while to understand what freedom is. You groped in the dust and found Christís Hand and now you are uncertain whether to let It go or to hold on and remember a Life you have forgotten. Strengthen your hold and raise your eyes to your Strong Companion in Which the Meaning of your Freedom lies. Your Holy relationship seemed to reflect your crucifixion and yet your Holiness remains untouched and Perfect and you can see this instead. You will this day enter Heaven with your Christ Mind and know the Peace of God.
10. This is your Christ Mindís Will for you and your Will for yourself. Heaven is Holiness and Oneness without limit. Heaven is Oneness without the veil of fear upon It. In Heaven your mind is One and you look with Perfect Gentleness on everything and yourself. In Heaven all thoughts of separation are impossible. You were a prisoner to separation and now you are free in Heaven, Where Christ is One with you and your entire mind, which is Christís Self.
11. Your extension of Holiness to your relationship gives your Christ Mind the certainty that you will soon be aware of your Oneness again. Share Christís faith in this and know that it is justified. There is no fear in Perfect Love because it has no separation in It. Love looks only on Itself. Looking with charity within It cannot fear that anything is outside of it. In Innocence you see your Safety and in your Purity you see God in your mind and you trust your Christ Mind to lead you to God. Where else would you go but Where you will to be? As certainly as God is One with you, all that you perceive will now lead you to God as you lead your mind to God by extending God to replace the world in your mind. In your Holy relationship you can see Godís Eternal Promise of Immortality. There is no fear in you if you do not see separation.
4. Entering the
1. Nothing can hurt you unless you give it the power to hurt you. But in your identification with a personal self you give power as the world that you perceive interprets giving: What you give you lose. Yet it is not up to you to give power at all. Real Power is of God, given by God, and reawakened in you by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit knows that as you give you gain. The Holy Spirit gives no power to your belief in separation from God and so it has none. The Holy Spirit also does not give power to the results of your belief in separation: sickness, death, misery, and pain. These things have not occurred because the Holy Spirit cannot see them and does not give any power to their seeming source. This is how the Holy Spirit keeps you free of them. Having no illusions about you, the Holy Spirit gives everything to God, Which has already given and received All that is True. God has neither given nor received the untrue.
2. Your idea of separation from God has no place in Heaven. Its results are alien there, as is your split mind, which thinks it. Here is your need to see your Holiness in place of the personal mindís projections of separation on another. Heaven is in your entire mind though you perceive a world. When you see separation Heaven is lost to you. But see Truth and What is yours returns to your awareness. When you extend only Love in your relationship with another you receive only Love so what you receive from a relationship is up to you. You must overlook all projections of the personal mind, whether they seem to be from you or from others, and this is your salvation. This is the reawakening in you of the Law of God that Mind is One. You have established other laws and given them the power to enforce what is not of God.
3. You made your insane laws to guarantee that you will continue to make the mistake of believing in your separation from God. You give this idea power over you by accepting the results of this belief as your just due. This is madness. Is this what you want to see in your Holy relationship, which can save you from insanity? Free your mind from your perception of separation by extending Oneness in place of it. You share in what you extend. What God gives follows Godís Law alone. If you follow Godís Law you cannot suffer from the results of any other laws.
4. When you choose Oneness you will experience only Its results. Your Power will be of God and you will extend only What God extends to you to share in It. Nothing but Oneness will touch you because Oneness will be All that you see, extending your Power according to the Will of God. And so your Limitlessness is established and maintained. It is upheld through all of your temptation to see limitations and therefore to limit yourself. Ask only of Limitlessness What Limitlessness is. Do not ask the limited personal mind about Limitlessness because the limited does not have the Power to know Limitlessness.
5. In your Innocence you give What you receive. Extend the Power of Innocence in your Holy relationship and be released from your belief in separation from God. To you who seem to walk isolated in a world of separation a relationship is given for you to release another from the personal mindís projections so that you can be released. In the world of separation that you perceive it appears as though others are separate from you but being in your mind they are really part of you. If you already knew this you would not need salvation. You found a Holy relationship when you were ready to look on your Christ Mind and to see your Innocence.
6. This plan is not of you and you do not need to be concerned with anything except the part that you must learn. The Holy Spirit will see to the rest without your help. But donít think that the Holy Spirit does not need your part. In your part lies the whole of the plan because without your part the plan would be incomplete. You enter Peace by extending your Self to encompass your perception of another who seems to be in a world outside of you and the beginning of a new Perception goes with you. Your Holy relationship must enter Peace for you to learn your special function in the Holy Spiritís plan. Now you share the Holy Spiritís Purpose. As you fulfill this Purpose a new Perception rises in your mind in which there is no separation and therefore no fear. Your entire mind can rest here a while to forget limitations and to remember Limitlessness. Your entire mind is what you think of as you as well as all that your mind perceives or it is not complete. And It is Completion that you have come to the Holy relationship to remember.
7. This is the Purpose that you have been given. Do not think that your forgiving the personal mindís projections will leave you limited to a personal self. A whole new Perception will extend in your mind and you will know that it is your mind that you see. Christ will shine in your mind as you remember Godís Law of Oneness. You will forget any other laws as you yearn to have Godís Law perfectly fulfilled in your entire mind. Do not think that you can rest while any perception of yours is left outside Oneness. You can no more leave part of your mind out than your Christ Mind can leave you and forget part of Itself.
8. You may wonder how you can be at Peace while you still perceive yourself in time and while it seems that there is so much that must be done before Peace will be available to you. If Peace seems impossible to you ask yourself if it is possible that God has a plan that does not work. Once you accept Godís Plan as the one Function that you want to fulfill there will be nothing else that the Holy Spirit will not arrange for you without your effort. The Holy Spirit will go before you, making your path straight and undoing all obstacles. Nothing that you need will be denied to you. Every difficulty will melt away before you reach it. You will not need to think or to care about anything except the only Purpose that you want to fulfill. As the Purpose was given to you so will Its fulfillment be given to you. Godís Guarantee holds against all seeming obstacles because It rests on Certainty. It rests on you. What can be more certain than What is One with God?
5. Heralds of Eternity
1. In the world that you perceive it is in a Holy relationship that you come closest to yourself. In this relationship you begin to find in yourself the Certainty that God has in you. This is where you find your function of restoring Godís Law of Oneness to your mind, which seems to have lost part of itself by projecting it away onto a world that seems outside of it. Only in time can anything be lost but never lost Forever. Your mind gradually unites in time as you extend Love in your perception more and more and with each joining of your mind with what seems outside of it the end of time is brought closer for you. Each miracle that you extend is a mighty herald of Eternity. You cannot be afraid when you have Oneness as your Purpose. And everything to which you extend your Purpose shares your Purpose with you.
2. Each herald of Eternity sings of the end of your perception that you are separate from God and so of the end of fear for you. Each speaks in time of What is far beyond time. Your uniting your mind with what once seemed outside of it calls to your entire mind to be One. And in that Oneness you proclaim and welcome Love. Peace to your Holy relationship, which has the power to hold the Oneness of God in your awareness. You extend your Self in your perception of another to unite your entire mind and this makes your entire mind glad. Do not forget that the Holy Spirit extends Oneness to you and that God extends Oneness to the Holy Spirit to extend Oneness to you.
3. It is impossible for you to overestimate the value of the other in your Holy relationship by your choosing to see your Christ Mind in your perception of them instead of the personal mindís projections. When the personal mind overestimates the otherís value it is because it wants the other for itself. But this means it actually values the other too little because it wants to use the other for the purpose of limiting you to a personal self. Your Christ Mind is invaluable and cannot be evaluated. You donít see the fear that arises in you from your meaningless attempt to judge What lies far beyond the judgment of the personal mind. Do not judge with the personal mind What is invisible to the personal mind or you will never see It. Wait patiently for your Christ Mind to come into your awareness. You will see the otherís value when all you want is to extend Peace in your relationship with them. And you will receive the Peace that you extend.
4. You cannot estimate the worth of another who offers you the opportunity to extend Peace to increase Peace in your awareness. What could you want but this opportunity? The worth of your mind has been established by God and you will recognize this as you receive Godís Gifts by extending them in your Holy relationship in the world that you perceive. The Oneness of your Christ Mind that is reflected back to you in your grateful Vision of the other will make you Love the other and be glad. You will not think to judge them because when you look on the Oneness of your Christ Mind you have no need to return to the personal mindís judgments to make separation real to you. Insisting on the personal mindís judgments will only blind you to your Christ Mind. Your choices are your Christ Mindís Vision or the personal mindís judgment; you cannot have both.
5. The otherís body has little use for you and when you use it as the Holy Spirit teaches it has no function. Your mind does not need bodies to unite itself. The sight that sees the body has no use in the Holy relationship. While you value the otherís body your awareness of the Holiness of your relationship has not been accomplished. Why does it take so many Holy Instants to let this be accomplished when one would do? There is only one Holy Instant. The little breath of Eternity that runs through time like a golden thread is always the same. There is nothing before It and nothing after It.
6. You look on each Holy Instant as a different point in time but It never changes. All that It will ever hold is here right now. The past takes nothing from It and the future will add nothing to It. Here in this Instant is Everything. Here is the Loveliness of your Holy relationship already accomplished. Here, the perfect faith that only God is Real is extended to you as you will one day extend it to be all that you perceive. Here, Limitless forgiveness is extended to you to extend to your perception of the other. Here is your Christ Mind.
7. You cannot evaluate the other who offers you the opportunity to extend, and so to receive, this Gift. Do you want to exchange this Gift for another? The Gift of the Holy Instant returns Godís Law of Oneness to your mind. Merely by remembering Godís Law you forget the laws that held you to pain and death. This is not a Gift the otherís body gives to you. The veil of your fear of God, which the body represents, hides the Gift of the Holy Instant and so hides your Christ Mind from you. Your Christ Mind is the Gift that you can see in your Holy relationship, though the other may not be aware of this. And you may not be aware of this, either. Have faith that the Holy Spirit sees this Gift in all parts of your mind and extends It and receives It for you. Through the Holy Spiritís Vision you will see It and through the Holy Spiritís understanding you will recognize It and love It as your own.
8. Be comforted and feel the Holy Spiritís Love and Perfect Confidence in you. The Holy Spirit knows that you are Christ and the Holy Spirit shares Godís Certainty that Reality rests in you in Safety and in Peace. Let us now consider what you must learn to share Godís Confidence in you. What are you that God offers you all of Reality and knows that It is Safe? You donít look on yourself as God looks on you. But Godís Confidence is not misplaced.
6. The Temple of the Holy Spirit
1. Your Meaning lies solely in your Relationship with God. If your meaning was elsewhere it would rest on chance but there is nothing else. Your Relationship with God is wholly Loving and Eternal. But you have invented an unholy relationship with yourself that attempts to replace the Relationship between you and God. Your Real Relationship with God is of Perfect Oneness and Infinite Continuity. The relationship that you have made with the part of God that you seem to have broken away fragments your mind, is centered on a limited self, and is full of fear. The Relationship that God extends to you encompasses and extends Godís Oneness. The relationship that you made attempts to destroy Godís Oneness and so to limit you.
2. The contrast between What God extends to you and what you have made is clear in the very different experiences of the Holy and the unholy relationships. The Holy relationship is based on the Oneness of Love and it rests on It serene and undisturbed. The body does not intrude upon it. Any relationship in which the body enters is based on idolatry, not Love. Love wants to be know, and extended. It has no secrets, nothing to keep apart, or to hide. It is Open and Calm and Welcoming and so Simple that It cannot be misunderstood.
3. You make idols to hide God, Which you do not want in your mind. You make these idols seem outside of your mind so that they can accept your mindís projections. They are nothing in themselves. You can ďloveĒ them because you made them but you will not see your Real Love reflected in them because they are made to hide Real Love. They cannot be used for your Real Relationship with God because they are separate from you and they are meant to uphold your perception of your separation from God.
4. Love does not use idols to hide anything. Love does not seek for power,but for your Real Relationship with God. The body is the personal mindís chosen weapon for seeking for power through relationships. The personal mindís relationships are unholy because it cannot even see your Real Relationship with God. It wants relationships solely for projecting onto idols. The personal mind throws away everything else because it does not value the Oneness that your Real Relationship with God offers. Having no real home, the personal mind seeks for as many bodies as it can collect to make idols for its projections and establish them as temples to itself.
5. The Holy Spiritís
6. You cannot make the body the Holy Spiritís
7. If you worship idols and you will fear Love because Love will seem to threaten your idols. If, as an idolater, you do let Love draw near, Love will overlook the body and you will retreat from Love in fear, feeling the firm foundation of your temple shake and loosen. But What you fear is the Sign of escape from limitations. The body is not your home; your
8. The only Relationship is your Oneness with God. The Oneness that you experience in the Holy relationship reflects your Relationship with God. An unholy relationship is not really a relationship at all. It is a state of isolation that only seems to be a joining. The instant that your mad idea of undoing your Relationship with God seemed possible the Oneness of your mind was made meaningless to you. In that unholy instant time was born and bodies were made to house your mad idea of separation from God and to give it the illusion of reality. So it seems that in time this mad idea has a home to hold it together but it has really vanished. Only for an instant could your mad idea stand against Reality.
9. Your idols must disappear and leave no trace behind in your mind. The unholy instant of their seeming power is frail. Do you want this frail instant to substitute for the Eternal Blessing of the Holy Instant and Its Unlimited Beneficence? Do you prefer the malevolent unholy relationship, which seems powerful but which you misunderstand and invest with a false attraction, to the Holy Instant, Which offers you Peace and Knowledge? If not then lay aside the body and transcend it, quietly rising to welcome What you really want. From the Holy Spiritís
10. Your Holy relationship reflects your Oneness with God in Reality. The Holy Spirit rests within it, certain that it will endure Forever. Its firm foundation is Eternally upheld by Truth and Love shines on it with the Gentleness and Tender Blessing that It offers to Its Own. Here, you gladly exchange the unholy instant for the Holy Instant of your safe return to God. Here, the way to your True Relationship with God is held open and you walk it with your entire mind, thankfully leaving behind the body to rest in God. Love is open to receive you and to give you Peace Forever.
11. The body is the personal mindís idol. It is your belief in separation from God made into form and then projected outside your mind. This makes it seem like there is a wall of flesh around your mind, limiting it to a tiny spot of space and time, obligated to die, and given an instant to sigh and grieve and die in honor of separation. This unholy instant of despair that is set uncertainly upon oblivion seems to be ďlifeĒ to you. Here you, who are One with God, stop briefly to offer your devotion to deathís idols and then to die yourself. Here you are more dead than Living. But it is also here that you can choose between idolatry and Love. Here you can choose to spend an instant paying tribute to the body or you can free yourself from the body. Here you can accept the Holy Instant to replace the unholy instant that you chose before. And here you can learn to look on relationships as your salvation and not as your doom.
12. You are learning this and you might still be afraid but you are not immobilized. The Holy Instant is of greater value to you now than the unholy instant and you have learned that you really want the Holy Instant. This is not a time for sadness; perhaps confusion but not discouragement. You have a real relationship in the Holy relationship and it has real meaning. In your Holy relationship is your Real Relationship with God. Idolatry is past and meaningless. Perhaps you still project fear onto your relationship; maybe you still fear God a little. But that is nothing when you have one true relationship beyond the body. You cannot long hold yourself back from looking on your Christ Mind. You cannot long hold back remembering your Oneness with God or your awareness of Godís Love.
7. The Consistency of Means and End
1. The means of making you aware of your Holiness and the end result of this awareness must be brought into line before your Holy relationship will bring you only Joy. The means to meet the Holy Spiritís Goal comes from God, the same Source as the Holy Spiritís Purpose. Being simple and direct, this course has nothing in it that is not consistent. The parts that seem inconsistent or more difficult to you are areas where you still keep means and end apart in your mind. This produces great discomfort for you but it does not need to be this way. This course requires almost nothing from you. It is impossible to imagine one that asks so little or that offers you more.
2. The period of discomfort that follows your changing your relationshipís purpose from separation to Holiness may now be almost over. To the extent that you still experience it you are refusing to leave the means for attaining this new purpose to the Holy Spirit, Which changed the purpose for you. You recognize you want the Goal but are you also willing to accept the means to reach It? If you are not, admit that it is you who are inconsistent. Every purpose is attained by some means and if you want the purpose you must be willing to accept the means. You cannot sincerely say, ďI want this above all else but I donít want to learn how to get it.Ē
3. The Holy Spirit indeed asks little of you for you to obtain your Goal but the Holy Spirit also does not ask any more of you to give you the means. The means are second to your Goal and when you hesitate to use them it is because the Purpose frightens you, not the means. Remember this or you will make the mistake of believing that the means are difficult. They cannot be difficult for you because they are given to you. The means guarantee your Goal and they are perfectly in line with It. Before you look at them a little closer, remember that if you think they are impossible it is because you are not sure that you want the Purpose. If your Goal is possible to reach the means must be possible, too.
4. It is impossible for you to see Innocence while you believe that bodies are real. This is perfectly consistent with the Goal of Holiness. When you let the effects of your belief in separation be lifted your recognition of your Holiness is the result because your Holiness is always True. It is impossible for you to see an Innocent body because Holiness is positive and the body is merely neutral. The body is not guilty or innocent. Since it is nothing, the body cannot be invested with attributes of your Christ Mind or of the personal mind. Either view of the body is an error because both give attributes of the mind where they cannot be. For you to remember Truth you must undo both views of the body.
5. The body is the means by which the personal mind seeks to make you unholy by making separation from God real to you. The time of bodies is the unholy instant. Its purpose is to make separation real to you. You can only attain this in an illusion, so the illusion of bodies is quite in keeping with the purpose of unholiness. Because of this consistency you donít question the means for unholiness while you cherish the goal of unholiness. Perception adapts to your wishes because you always see what you desire. If you see the body you have chosen the personal mind over the Vision of your Christ Mind. The Vision of your Christ Mind, like your Real Relationship with God, is One. You either see your Christ Mind or you do not really see at all.
6. To see anotherís body as real is to judge your separation from God as real and to not see your mind Truly. In the darkness of separation the Reality in your perception is invisible to you. You can only fill in this blank with illusions. Here illusions and Reality are kept apart. Here illusions are never brought to Truth but hidden from It. In the darkness of separation you imagine a reality in which bodies enter unholy relationships with other bodies to serve the cause of separation before they die.
7. There is indeed a difference between these vain imaginings and the Vision of your Christ Mind. Their difference does not lie in them but in their purposes. Both are the appropriate means to the end for which you employ them. Neither can serve the otherís purpose because each one is your choice of purpose and is employed on behalf of your chosen purpose. Either is meaningless without the purpose for which you intend it and you value both as part of their purpose. The means seem real when you value the Goal. And judging your separation from God as real has no value for you unless your goal is separation.
8. You can only see the body through your judgment that separation from God is real. For you to see the body as real is for you to deny the Vision of your Christ Mind, Which is the Means the Holy Spirit uses to serve Its Purpose. The Holy relationship cannot achieve its purpose through the means for separation. You taught yourself to judge the separation as real but the Vision of your Christ Mind is taught to you by the Holy Spirit, Which will undo your teaching. The Holy Spiritís Vision cannot look on the body because It cannot see separation from God, so It leads you to Reality. The Vision of your Christ Mind, which you see to replace the personal mindís projections on your Holy relationship, is not an illusion. Do not look on your relationship from the personal mind because from there your imaginings will seem real to you. With the personal mind your purpose is to deny the Truth and while this purpose has meaning for you, you will evaluate the means for its attainment as worth seeing. You will not be able to see Truly.
9. Donít ask, ďHow can I not see bodies?Ē; ask instead, ďDo I really want to see Innocence?Ē As you ask remember that the Innocence that you see is your escape from fear. Your salvation is the Holy Spiritís Goal and Its Means is the Vision of your Christ Mind. What you see with your Christ Mindís Vision is Innocence. You cannot love and judge the separation as real and see guilt. When you love you do not see what you made but you see your Christ Mind, Which is given to you to see with the Vision that makes seeing your Christ Mind possible.
8. The Vision of Sinlessness
1. As you choose to overlook the personal mindís projections on the other in your Holy relationship the Holy Spiritís Vision will come to you at first in glimpses and these will be enough to show you your Innocence. Truth is restored to you through your desire for Truth just as Truth was lost to you because of your desire for something else. Open the
2. Do you want to know your own Identity? Do you want to happily exchange your doubts for Certainty? Do you want to be free of misery and to learn of Joy again? Your Holy relationship can do all of this; these are the effects of your Holy relationship. But just as its Holy Purpose was not made by the personal self its happy results are not of it, either. Rejoice in what is yours for the asking and do not think that you need to make either the means or the end. These effects are given to you when you decide to see Innocence instead of the personal mindís projections on the other in your relationship. All this is waiting on your desire to receive it. The Holy Spiritís Vision is freely given to you when you ask to see Truth.
3. With the Holy Spiritís Vision Innocence is yours to see in place of the personal mindís projections. Rejoice with the Holy Spirit! Peace will come to you when you ask for It with real desire and you sincerely agree with the Holy Spirit about what is salvation. Be willing to see Innocence so that Christ may rise before your Vision and give you Joy. Place no value on bodies, which hold you to illusions. Your entire mind desires Innocence, though you perceive a world of separation. Bless your entire mind with your Holy relationship and do not see what the personal mind has made in the world it projects outside of you.
4. The Presence of the Holy Spirit in your mind guarantees that What God wills and extends to you is yours. Remembering this is your Purpose now and the Vision that will make you aware of It is ready to be given to you. You have the Vision that enables you to overlook the body. As you look on your Holy relationship you can see an altar to God, as Holy as Heaven, glowing with Purity, and shining with your forgiveness. Can you value anything more than this? The body is not a better home or a safer shelter. Why look on the body instead of on Truth? How can you prefer the engine of destruction to the Holy Home that the Holy Spirit offers to share with you?
5. The body is a symbol of weakness, vulnerability, and loss of power. Can this save you? Do not turn to the helpless in your distress and in your need for help. The pitifully little is not the perfect choice for you to call upon for strength. Judging bodies as real will seem to make your mind weak when you need to see the Strength that is in your mind. There is no problem, no event, no situation, and no perplexity that the Holy Spiritís Vision will not solve for you. Your mind is healed when you look upon everything with the Holy Spiritís Vision because this is not the personal mindís sight and It brings with It Godís Beloved Law of Oneness.
6. Everything that you look upon with Vision falls gently into place according to the Law of Oneness, brought to It by the Holy Spiritís Calm and Certain Vision. The end for everything that the Holy Spirit looks upon is always sure because in unadjusted form it is suited perfectly to meet the Holy Spiritís Purpose. Under the Holy Spiritís Gaze destructiveness becomes benign and separation is turned to blessing. But the bodyís eyes cannot correct. Its eyes adjust to separation and cannot overlook it in any form. It sees separation everywhere and in everything. Look through its eyes and everything is condemned by guilt. All that could save you, you will not see. Your Holy relationship, the source of your salvation, will be deprived of meaning and its most Holy purpose will lack the means to be accomplished.
7. The personal mindís judgment is a toy, a whim, the senseless means to make separation and death real to you. But the Holy Spiritís Vision sets all things right by bringing them within Heavenís kindly Law of Oneness. What if you recognized that the world is a hallucination? What if you really understood that you made it up? What if you realized that those who seem to walk about in it separate from God, attacking, murdering, self-destructing, and ultimately dying are wholly unreal? If you accepted that all of this is unreal you could not have faith in it; you would not even see it.
8. Hallucinations disappear when you recognize that they are hallucinations. This is their healing and their remedy: do not believe in them and they are gone. Once you accept this simple fact and take back the power that you have given to your illusions you will be released from them. One thing is sure: Hallucinations serve a purpose and when you no longer consider their purpose valuable they disappear. So your question is never ďDo I want the illusions?Ē but ďDo I want the purpose that illusions serve?Ē The world that you perceive seems to hold out many different purposes with different values. But they are all the same purpose - separation from God - and their values only seem to have a hierarchy.
9. Only two purposes are possible for you: separation from God or Oneness with God. They cannot be joined. Which you choose determines what you see because what you see is your means to meet your chosen purpose. Hallucinations are the means to meet the goal of madness. They are the means by which the world that you have projected outside of your mind from within it adjusts to the separation and seems to witness to its reality. Nothing is outside of your mind and your projections are made upon nothing. It is the projections that give ďnothingĒ all the meaning that it holds for you.
10. You cannot perceive what has no meaning. Meaning always comes from within you and is then projected or extended outward in your awareness. All of the meaning that you give to the world that seems outside of your mind reflects whether you looked within and saw Truth or whether you looked within and judged against God. The Holy Spiritís Vision is your means for translating the personal mindís nightmares into Happy illusions; the personal mindís wild hallucinations of fearful outcomes for your guilt into the Calm and reassuring Vision of your Oneness with God. You look on the Holy Spiritís Gentle Visions with Joy. They are the Holy Spiritís Substitutes for all of the terrifying sights of the personal mind that fill you with horror. They step away from separation and remind you that what frightens you is not reality but errors that you can correct.
11. You will not have to be persuaded to accept the Gift of the Holy Spiritís Vision when you look on what should seem terrifying and you see Peace instead. And you will not refuse God, Which comes after your Vision is as complete as the Holy Spiritís. Think for an instant on this: You can behold the Holiness that God gives to your Christ Mind and you never need to think that there is anything else for you to see.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|