|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 22: Salvation and the Holy Relationship
1. Take pity on yourself, who has been limited by the personal mind for so long. Rejoice that God joins your mind in Oneness and that you can no longer look on separation from God as real. You never see ďsinĒ in the same way at different times and in different places. You see sin in others but you really believe it is in yourself. Everyone seems to represent a different sin to you but every manifestation of separation is really the same, projected by your mind and forgiven by you. The Holiness of your relationship forgives you your perception of separation, undoing its effects. With the undoing of the effects of separation your need to see sin is undone.
2. Only in your desire for the separateness of the personal self do you need the idea of sin to justify your perception that others are separate from your mind. The differences that you perceive between you and others are necessary to maintain this belief. But separate selves, differences, and ďsinĒ can only be real if your mind is not One and separation from God is real. An unholy relationship upholds your belief in separation. It is based on lack and differences and you end up believing that others have what you are missing. You join with them to rob them so that you can complete yourself. You stay with them until there is nothing left to steal and then you move on. You wander through a world of strangers and perhaps live with some of them under a common roof that does not really shelter you and you share space with them without ever really joining with them in Oneness.
3. A Holy relationship starts from a different premise: You have looked within and you see that you are not lacking. Accepting your Completion you naturally extend It to replace your perception of separation. You see no difference in your mind between you and your perception of another because differences are only of the body/personal self and you are overlooking bodies/personal selves. Therefore, you do not look on anything that you want to take. Because Oneness is the Truth you are no longer denying your own Reality. You stand just under Heaven but close enough to It to not return to perceiving separation. Your relationship has Heavenís Holiness, so how far from Home can it be?
4. Think what a Holy relationship can teach you! Here your belief in your separation from God is undone and your faith shifts to Oneness. Your True Reasoning leads you to the logical conclusion that your mindís perceptions are part of your mind. Just as your awareness of your Oneness extended to your perception of the other in your Holy relationship It must now extend from your perception of them. Your Holy relationship must extend beyond you and the one other just as you extended your Self beyond the body when you extended your Holiness to your perception of them. Now your Oneness will extend and remove all of your sense of separation between you and what your mind perceives. Here is where you recognize your Christ Mind. Your awareness of Oneness, which was born in your Holy relationship, can never end.
1. The Message of the Holy Relationship
1. Let your True Reasoning take another step: If you attack what God wants to heal and you hate what God loves then you and God must have different wills. But if you are Godís Will then, if you believe this past sentence, you must believe that you are not yourself. And in your identification with a personal self you do believe this. You have faith in this and you see much evidence on its behalf. And you wonder where your strange uneasiness, your sense of disconnection, and your haunting fear of lack of meaning in yourself come from! It is as though you have wandered into separation from God with no plan but to be separated from God because only this is certain about it.
2. Earlier in this course there is a similar description but it is not of you. But this strange idea which it does describe you think of as you. True Reasoning will tell you that a world that you see through eyes that are not yours must not make sense to you. To whom would this seeing return its messages? Certainly not to you because your True Vision is wholly independent of the eyes that look on the world. This is not your True Vision so what can it show you? The brain cannot interpret What your True Vision sees and you understand this. The brain interprets to the body, of which it is a part. You cannot understand what it says yet you have listened to it. And you have tried to understand its messages for a long, hard time.
3. You have not yet realized that it is impossible for you to understand messages that completely fail to reach you. You have received no messages that you understand because you have listened to what can never communicate with you. Think what happens then: denying What you are and firm in your conviction that you are something else, this ďsomething elseĒ that you have made becomes your guide. It must be the ďsomething elseĒ that sees and interprets what it is seeing to you. Of course your True Vision makes all of this unnecessary. But your mind is closed to your True Vision and you have called on this other thing to lead you and to explain to you the world that it sees. You have no reason to not listen to this thing or to suspect what it is telling you is not true. But True Reasoning will tell you that it cannot be true because you do not understand it. There are no secrets in Truth. God does not lead you through a world of misery only to tell you in the end why It did this to you.
4. Nothing is secret from Godís Will but you believe that you have a secret. Your secret is another ďwillĒ that is your own, separate from Godís Will. True Reasoning will tell you that this is not a secret to be hidden as a ďsinĒ. But it is a mistake. Do not let your fear that it is a sin protect this mistake from correction because fear is what attracts you to separation from God. Whatever form it takes, fear is the only emotion that you have made. It is the emotion of secrecy, of private thoughts, and of the body. It is the emotion that opposes Love so it always leads you to perceiving differences instead of Oneness. Fear keeps you blind to Truth and dependent on the personal self that you think you made to lead you through a world that it made for you.
5. Your True Vision was given to you, along with Everything that you can understand. You have no difficulty understanding Everything your True Vision sees because you only see What you are. What your True Vision shows you, you understand because It is the Truth. Only your True Vision can show you What you are really capable of seeing. It reaches you directly without needing to be interpreted to you. What needs to be interpreted to you must be alien to you and it will not be made understandable to you through an interpreter that you cannot understand.
6. Of all the messages that you have received in the world that you perceive this course alone is open to your understanding. This course is in your language. You may not fully understand it yet because your ability to communicate is like a babyís. What a baby babbles and what it hears is highly unreliable, meaning different things to it at different times. Sights and sounds are not stable to a baby. But what a baby hears will one day be the babyís language. And the strange, shifting images about the baby will one day be the babyís comforters and the babyís home.
7. So in your Holy relationship True Communication is reborn and replaces separation in your mind. But a Holy relationship so recently reborn from an unholy relationship, though it is older than time, is like a baby. Still, early in this relationship True Vision is returned to you and you will understand What you see. Your Holy relationship is not nurtured by the ďsomething elseĒ that you thought was you. It does not come from a personal mind but it is received by you. Your mind and its perception can only unite in your Christ Mind, Which sees only Oneness.
8. Think what is given to you! This Holy relationship will teach you What you do not understand and make It plain because It is not alien to you. You will not need an interpreter because What this relationship teaches you, you already know. The Holy relationship can only come to you, not to the ďsomething elseĒ that you made. Your Christ Mind cannot be isolated to a personal mind because your Christ Mind is not at home in separation. But your Christ Mind must be reborn into your awareness, which seems new but is as Timeless as your Christ Mind. Your Christ Mind is dependent on your awareness of the Holiness of your relationship to live in your awareness.
9. You can be certain that God does not entrust your Christ Mind to the unworthy. Only what is Part of God is worthy of being joined and what is not part of God cannot join at all. True Communication must have been restored to your mind because you can not unite with a body. So what has joined? Your True Reasoning will tell you that you see the other in your Holy relationship through a Vision that is not of the body and that you communicate with your Perception of them in a language that the body does not speak. It cannot be fear that joins your mind into One. What you see instead is a Perfect Shelter where your Self can be reborn in your awareness, in Safety and Peace. This is what True Reasoning tells you and this is what you must believe because it is the Truth.
10. Here is the first direct Perception that you can make and you make it through an awareness that is older than perception but is reborn in just an Instant. What is time to What is always so? Think what the Holy Instant brings to you: the recognition that the ďsomething elseĒ that you thought was you is an illusion. Then Truth comes instantly to show you your True Self. When you deny illusions you call on Truth because to deny illusions is to recognize that fear is meaningless. Love thankfully enters the Holy home Where fear is powerless and Love is grateful that It is One with you who joined with It to let It enter.
11. Your Christ Mind is drawn only to what is like Itself and your Christ Mind can come into only to what is like Itself. Your Holy relationship is like your Christ Mind and the Christ that you extend in your Holy relationship draws your Christ Mind to you. In your Holy relationship your Christ Mindís gentle Innocence is protected from attack and your Christ Mind returns to your awareness because your faith in your Holy relationship is your faith in your Christ Mind. You are indeed correct in extending Christís Home to your relationship because in this you Will with your Christ Mind and with God. This is Godís Will for you and your Will with Godís. Your attraction to your Christ Mind is your attraction to God and your Christ Mind and God are attracted to your Holy relationship, which is Their home as the world gives way to Heaven for you.
2. Your Brotherís Sinlessness
1. The opposite of illusions is not disillusionment but Truth. Only to the personal mind, to which Truth is meaningless, do illusions and disillusionment seem to be different from each other and your only alternatives. They are actually both the same. Both bring you misery, though they seem to bring relief from the misery the other brings. Every illusion carries pain and suffering in the dense, heavy appearances in which it hides its nothingness. You are buried in these appearances and hidden from the Joy of Truth.
2. Truth is the opposite of illusions because It offers Joy and Joy is the opposite of misery. For you to leave one kind of misery for another is not for you to escape from misery. For you to change illusions is for you to make no change at all. Your search for Joy in misery is senseless. All that is possible for you in the dark world of misery that you made is for you to select out some aspects, see them as different from the rest, and then define them as joy. But for you to perceive differences where there are none will make no real difference to you.
3. Illusions carry only guilt, suffering, sickness, and death to you when you believe in them. The form in which you accept illusions is irrelevant. Your True Reasoning knows that no form of misery can be confused with Joy. Joy is Eternal and any seeming happiness that does not last is really fear. Joy cannot turn to sorrow because the Eternal cannot change. But sorrow can turn to Joy because time gives way to the Eternal. Only the Timeless remains unchanged but everything in time changes with time. Real change is illusions giving way to Truth, not to other illusions that are equally unreal. There is no difference between illusions.
4. Your True Reasoning will tell you that the only way for you to escape from misery is to recognize it and go the other way. Truth is all the same and misery is all the same but they are different from each other in every way, without exception. If you believe that one exception can exist then you confuse what is the same with what is different. One illusion that you cherish and defend against the Truth makes all Truth meaningless to you and all illusions real to you. Such is the power of your belief, which cannot compromise. Your faith in Innocence is changed to faith in separation from God if you hold one illusion apart from your forgiveness.
5. Both your True Reasoning and the personal mind will tell you this but they do not arrive at the same conclusion. The personal mind will assure you that it is impossible for you to not see separation from God so your guilt must be Eternal. But your True Reasoning sees the source of an idea as what makes it either True or false because all ideas are like their source. Since the Holy Spirit was given the Purpose of undoing your sense of separation from God by God, Which wills only the Possible, then the means for your attaining it must be more than possible. They must be here now and you must have them.
6. This is a crucial period for you in this course because here the separation of you and the personal mind must be made complete. You have the means to let the Holy Spiritís Purpose be accomplished and you can use them. Through your use of them you will gain faith in them. To the personal mind undoing your separation from God is impossible and it will not undertake what it has no hope can be done. But you know that what God wills is possible, even though what you made does not know this. Now you must choose between your Self and an illusion of yourself. You can choose only one. There is no point in your trying to avoid this one decision; you must make it. Your faith and belief can fall to either but your True Reasoning will tell you that one leads you to misery and the Other leads you to Joy.
7. Do not forsake your Holy relationship now. Because your mind is One, what you decide will be the same for you and for your perception of the other in your Holy relationship. You extend to the other either Life or death; you see in them either your salvation or the personal mindís judgments. Your Holy relationship is your Sanctuary or your condemnation. You will believe this course either entirely or not at all. It is wholly true or wholly false for you and you cannot partially believe in it. You will either escape misery entirely or not at all. Your True Reasoning will tell you that there is no middle ground where you can pause uncertainly to wait to choose between the Joy of Heaven and the misery of hell. Until you choose Heaven you are in misery and hell.
8. There is no part of Heaven that you can weave into illusions and you cannot bring illusions into Heaven. You cannot judge as separate from you the one in whom you want to perceive your salvation and there is no mercy in condemnation. Your Christ Mindís Vision cannot damn; It can only bless. The Holy Spirit will fulfill Its Function, your salvation. How the Holy Spirit will do this is beyond your understanding but when is your choice. You made time and you command time. You are no more a slave to time than you are a slave to the world in your mind.
9. Look closer at the illusion that what you have made can enslave you. This is the same as the belief which caused the separation: Thoughts can leave the mind of their thinker, be different from it, and in opposition to it. If this is true, your thoughts are not your mindís extensions but its enemies. Here we see again another form of the same fundamental illusion we have seen many times before: Part of God can leave God, make itself different from God, and oppose Godís Will. Only if this is possible can the self that you made, and all that it made, be master over you.
10. Behold your great projection! But look on it without fear and with the decision that it must be healed. What you have made has power over you only if you want to be apart from God and with a will opposed to God. Only if you believe that Part of God can be Godís enemy is it possible that what you made is really your enemy. You want to condemn Godís Joy to misery and to make Part of God different from God. But all the misery that you have made is your own. Arenít you glad to learn that it is not true? Is it not welcome news to learn that not one of the illusions that you have made actually replaces the Truth?
11. Only the personal mindís thoughts have been impossible. Your salvation cannot be impossible. It is impossible for you to look upon the other as your enemy and see salvation in your relationship. But it is possible for you to recognize your Self in place of the personal mindís projections because God wants it so. What God has extended to your Holy relationship is there because What God gave to the Holy Spirit to extend to you the Holy Spirit extended. Look upon the salvation that has been given to you in your Holy relationship. Exchange, in gratitude, the function of executioner that you have projected onto the other in your relationship for the Function that your relationship with them has in Truth. Receive of the other in your Holy relationship What God has extended to them through your Perception of them and not what you tried to give yourself through the personal mindís projections.
12. Beyond your mindís perception of a world of bodies, and shining with Godís Eternal Love, is your Holy relationship, Beloved of God. How still your Holy relationship rests, in time but from beyond time; Immortal, but in the world that you perceive. How great is the Power that lies in it! Time waits upon your Holy relationshipís will and all your perceptions are corrected to Holiness as your relationship wants it to be. In your relationship you do not have a will that is separate from God, nor the desire that anything be separate. Its will is whole and What it wills is True. Every illusion that you bring to your Holy relationshipís forgiveness you will gently overlook and it will disappear. At the center of your Holy relationship your Christ Mind is reborn in your awareness with the Vision that overlooks the world that you made. Donít you want this Vision for your own? There is no misery in your Holy relationship; only Joy.
13. All that you need to do to dwell in Quiet with your Christ Mind is to extend your Christ Mindís Vision. Christís Vision will come to you quickly when you are willing to see Innocence in place of sin. If you want to be released entirely from all of the effects of your belief in your separation from God not one perception can remain beyond your willingness to let it go. You cannot want only partial forgiveness for yourself and you cannot reach Heaven while a single bit of separation from God tempts you to remain in misery. Heaven is the Home of Perfect Purity and God extends It to you. Look on Holiness in your relationship with the other and see your Innocence and let It lead you to Heaven.
3. Reason and the Forms of Error
1. The introduction of True Reasoning into your thought system is the beginning of the personal mindís undoing because your True Reasoning Mind and the personal mind contradict each other. It is not possible for them to coexist in your awareness. Your True Reasoning Mindís goal is to make Truth plain and simple to you. You can see True Reasoning; It is the beginning of True Vision, Which has Meaning. True Vision is quite literally sense. What is not the bodyís sight you must understand because it is plain, obvious, and unambiguous. Here your True Reasoning Mind and the personal mind go their separate ways.
2. The personal mindís continuance depends on its belief that you cannot learn this course. If you share this belief your True Reasoning Mind will be unable to see your errors and correct them. Your True Reasoning Mind sees through errors, telling you that what you thought was real is not real. Your True Reasoning Mind can see the difference between ďsinĒ and mistakes because It wants correction. It tells you that the separation from God that you thought was uncorrectable can be corrected so it mustíve been an error. The personal mindís opposition to your correction leads to its fixed belief in sin and its disregard of errors. The personal mind does not look on anything as something to be corrected. The personal mind damns you; your True Reasoning Mind saves you.
3. True Reasoning is not your salvation in itself but it makes way for Peace and It prepares you to accept salvation. Your belief that separation from God is sin is like a heavy locked gate across your road to Peace. You cannot try to pass it without the help of your True Reasoning Mind. The personal mind sees sin as a solid fact and it teaches you that it is madness for you to attempt to pass it. But your True Reasoning Mind sees through sin easily because it is only an error. The form that sin takes cannot conceal its emptiness from your True Reasoning Mind.
4. Only the form of your error attracts the personal mind because the personal mind does not recognize meaning and it doesnít even know if meaning is there or not. Everything that the bodyís eyes see and that the personal mind perceives is a mistake, an error in your perception; a distorted fragment of wholeness without the meaning that the whole gives to it. But your mistakes, no matter the form that they take, can be corrected. ďSinĒ is an error in a special form that the personal mind honors. The personal mind wants to preserve all of your errors and make them uncorrectable ďsinsĒ. The concept that ďsinĒ is real is the personal mindís stability, its heavy anchor in the shifting world that it made; the rock on which its churches are built and where worshippers bound to bodies/personal selves believe that the bodyís freedom is their own.
5. Your True Reasoning Mind will tell you that the form of your error is not what makes it a mistake but what the form conceals is your mistake, so the form cannot prevent your correction. The bodyís eyes see only form and they cannot see beyond what they were made to see. They were made to look on error and to not see past it. The bodyís eyes have a strange perception indeed because they see only illusion and they are unable to look past the personal mindís heavy block of ďsinĒ. They stop at the outside form of nothing. To this distorted form of vision the external sights that are the block between you and your awareness of Truth are truth. But sight that stops at nothingness as if it were a solid block cannot see Truly. This sight is held back by form, having been made to guarantee that you will perceive nothing but form.
6. The bodyís eyes, made to not see Truth, will never see Truth. The idea that they represent has never left its maker - the personal mind - and it is its maker that sees through them. The bodyís makerís goal is for you to not see Truth and for this the bodyís eyes are perfect because they do not go beyond external sights. They stop at nothingness, unable to go beyond form to meaning. Your seeing form means your understanding has been obscured.
7. Only mistakes take different forms so that they can deceive. You can change form because form is not true. Form is not Reality because it can be changed. Your True Reasoning will tell you that if form is not reality it must be illusion and so it is not there for you to Truly See. If you see form you must be mistaken because you are seeing what is not real as though it were real. What cannot see beyond what is not there is distorted perception and it must perceive illusions as truth. It cannot recognize the Truth.
8. Do not let the form of your mistaken perception of the other in your Holy relationship keep you from sight of your Holiness. Do not let your Vision of Holiness, Which shows you forgiveness, be kept from you by what the bodyís eyes can see. Do not block your awareness of Truth by your perception of ďsinĒ in the other. What do you attack in the other but what you associate with a body, which you believe can youíre your separation from God real? Beyond this error in your perception is your Holiness and your salvation. You tried to see your sins in the other to save yourself but the Holiness that you can extend in your Perception of the other is your forgiveness. You cannot be saved by making sinful the other to whom you must extend Holiness for your own salvation.
9. In your Holy relationship, however newly born into your awareness, you must value Holiness above all else. Valuing unholiness will produce confusion in your awareness. In an unholy relationship you value the other because they justify your own separation from God. You see in the other what compels you to ďsinĒ against your will. Having laid your ďsinsĒ on the other you are attracted to them to perpetuate your sense of separation from God. It therefore becomes impossible for you to see that you are causing ďsinĒ by your own desire that your separation from God be real. Yet your Clear Mind sees a Holy relationship as a unified state of mind where you gladly give your sense of separation from God over to correction so that your mind will be healed in Oneness.
4. The Branching of the Road
1. You will come to a place in your journey to God where the road branches. If you go straight ahead, continuing on the way that you came, you will go nowhere. The whole purpose of your coming this far is for you to decide to take the branch. The way that you came no longer matters because it can no longer serve you. When you reach this branch you cannot make the wrong decision but you can delay. If you refuse to take the branch, there is no part of your journey that will seem more hopeless and futile to you.
2. It is only the first few steps along the branching road that will seem hard. But you have chosen and though you may think that you can still go back and make the other choice, you cannot. A choice that you make with the Power of Heaven to uphold it cannot be undone. Your way is decided. If you acknowledge this there is nothing that you will not be told.
3. Here in this Holy place you stand in your Holy relationship with the veil of your belief in separation from God between you and your perception of the other obscuring your Christ Mind. Let it be lifted! Lift from your mind what looks like a solid world but is only a veil. In the isolation of a personal mind it seems like a solid block to you and you cannot see that it is only thin drapery that separates your mind. This veil is almost undone in your awareness and Peace has reached you even here before the veil. Think what will happen after: The Love of Christ will fill your mind and extend in your perception, which calls for Love. From this Holy Place your Christ Mind will extend to replace the world in your mind, not leaving It or you. You will be your Christ Mindís Messenger, returning Christ to Christ.
4. Think of the Loveliness that you will perceive when you are aware of your Christ Mind! Think how beautiful your Holy relationship will be to you! How happy you will be in your Limitless Christ Mind after a long journey where you walked isolated in a limited personal mind. Heaven is open now for you and you will extend It to the rest of your sad mind. Your entire mind will rejoice as you extend your Christ Mind to it. How Beautiful is the Vision beyond the veil Which you bring with you now to rest your weary mind. How thankful your entire mind will be as you extend your Christ Mindís forgiveness to dispel your faith in sin.
5. Every mistake that you make will be gently corrected in the corrected perception of your Holy relationship. Your salvation is in the Loveliness that you extend in your perception and you will want to protect It from harm. Every obstacle that seems to rise between you and your awareness of the Holiness of your relationship will be undone. So shall you walk with your Christ Mind in the world that you perceive, with a Message that you must extend to be all that you perceive. You have reached this point to let It be received by your entire mind. Godís Offer of Love is here to be received by you but you must accept It first. From your acceptance of Love, Love is extended in your awareness. Love is safely given to your mind, which is united in the Holy relationship because by extending Love you have become Loveís guardian and protector.
6. Grace is given to you who extend Godís Love and so you learn that It is yours Forever. All barriers to Loveís extension will disappear before you now, just as you finally surmounted every obstacle to God that seemed to block you before. The veil that you lifted from your perception of your relationship with one other in the world that you perceive opens the way to Truth for your entire mind. When you let illusions be lifted from your mind you joined with your Christ Mind and you will extend your Christ Mindís Message of Hope and Freedom to be all that you perceive.
7. How easy it is for you to extend Godís Love to all that you perceive! Having received It for yourself you cannot find this difficult. By your receiving Godís Love you have learned that it was not given to a personal self. This is the function of a Holy relationship: for you to receive Godís Love in one relationship in your perception so as to extend Godís Love to your entire mind. Standing before the veil of sin this may seem difficult to you. But join your mind in wholeness and the heavy-seeming block is revealed to you as nothingness. Only an illusion stands between you and the Holy Self that is your Whole Mind.
5. Weakness and Defensiveness
1. You do not overcome illusions by force or by anger or by opposing them in any way. You overcome them by letting your True Reasoning Mind tell you that they contradict Reality; that they go against What must be True. Opposition comes from illusions, not from Reality, because Reality does not oppose anything. What merely is does not need defense and offers none. Illusions need defense because they are weak. It is not difficult for you to walk the way of Truth when only weakness interferes. You are the strong one in this seeming conflict and you donít need defense. You do not really want what needs defense because your accepting what needs defense will only weaken you.
2. Consider what the personal mind wants defenses for: to justify what goes against Truth, flies in the face of True Reasoning, and makes no sense. This cannot be justified and your defending the personal mind is only your invitation to insanity to save you from Truth, Which you fear. Your belief in separation from God needs great defense at an enormous cost to you. You must defend the personal mind against the Holy Spirit and you must sacrifice all that the Holy Spirit offers. Your belief in separation from God is a block between you and the return of Peace to you.
3. But your Peace cannot be blocked; It is still Whole and nothing stands before It. See how the means and the material of bad illusions are nothing? In Truth your Mind is Whole and It is not separated into what seems like ďyouĒ and a world outside of you. God is your Wholeness and nothing can separate What is joined in Oneness with God. It is impossible for you to keep Love out of your mind. God rests within you in Quiet, wholly without defense because in this Quiet State alone is Strength and Power. There is no weakness in God because there is no attack and no illusions in God. Love rests on Certainty. Only uncertainty is defensive and all uncertainty is doubt about yourself.
4. How weak is fear! How little, meaningless, and insignificant it is before the Quiet Strength of you whose mind has been joined by Love. This is your enemy: a tiny, frightening idea that wants to attack Reality. How likely is it that it will succeed? It cannot be difficult for you to disregard its feeble squeaks, which tell you of its own omnipotence and that want to drown out the Praise that your Whole Mind expresses Forever to God. Is this tiny idea stronger than Godís Oneness? Your mind is not One in limitedness but in the Limitless Will of God. A limited idea of yourself cannot betray your Oneness with God.
5. If you only recognized how little stands between you and your awareness of your Mindís Oneness! Do not be deceived by the illusion of size, thickness, weight, and solidness of the body of the other in your Holy relationship. To the bodyís eyes a solid body seems as immovable as a mountain. But within you is a Force that no illusion can resist. The body only seems immovable and this Force is Irresistible in Truth, so what must happen when they come together? An illusion of immovability cannot long be defended from your True Vision, Which quietly passes through it and goes beyond it.
6. Do not forget that when you feel the need arise to defend yourself over anything it means that you have identified yourself with an illusion and that you feel you are weak because you are limited to a personal self. This is the cost of your illusions. All of them rest on your belief that you are separate from God and that your mind is split. They seem to stand heavy and solid and immovable outside of you. And yet the Truth in your mind can pass over all of them so lightly and easily that you must be convinced, in spite of what you thought that they were, that they are nothing. This must happen when you forgive the personal mindís projections on the other in your Holy relationship. It is your unwillingness to overlook what seems to be a world outside of your mind that makes it look impenetrable and that defends the illusion of its immovability.
6. The Light of the Holy Relationship
1. Do you want freedom for your mind or for the body? You cannot have both, so which do you value? Which is your goal? One will be your means to the goal of the other. One will serve the other and lead to its predominance in your awareness, increasing the importance of the goal for you and diminishing its own importance. Means serve an end and as the end is reached the value of the means decreases as its function is no longer needed. You yearn for freedom and you try to find it and you will seek for it where you believe that it can be found. You will believe that freedom is of the mind or of the body and you will make the other serve your choice as the means to find it.
2. When you choose freedom for the body you value the mind only as a means to contrive ways to achieve the bodyís freedom. Yet freedom for the body has no meaning and so your mind is then dedicated to serve an illusion. This is such a contradictory and impossible situation that when you choose this you can have no idea of What is Truly Valuable. Yet even in your profound and indescribable confusion the Holy Spirit waits within you in Gentle Patience, as certain of the outcome as It is certain of Godís Love for you. The Holy Spirit knows that you who have made this decision are as dear to God as Love is to Itself.
3. Do not concern yourself with how the Holy Spirit can change the roles of means and end so easily in your mind, which God loves and wants to be Free Forever. Be grateful instead that the body that you made can be the means to serve the Holy Spiritís Goal. This is the only service for the body that leads to your Freedom. Your Goal is Innocence so you must perceive the body without sin and guilt. This lack of contradiction between means and end will make for a soft transition that is as easy as your shift from hate to gratitude before your forgiving mind. You will sanctify bodies, using them only to serve your extension of Innocence. It will be impossible for you to hate what serves healing.
4. Your Holy relationship, lovely in its Innocence, mighty in its Strength, and blazing with Godís Love is chosen by God for Godís Own Plan. Be grateful it does not serve the personal self at all. You cannot misuse anything that you have entrusted to your Holy relationship and everything given to it will be used. Your Holy relationship has the power to heal all of your pain, regardless of its form. Your split mind cannot do this. Only joining your mind with the part that you once perceived outside of you can do this. Your Holy relationship heals your mind and it is here that you accept correction of your perception that you are separate from God.
5. There is no separation from God in a Holy relationship. You no longer see the many forms that the error of separation takes and your True Reasoning Mind, joined with Love, looks quietly on all confusion and merely observes, ďThis is a mistake.Ē The correction that you have accepted in your relationship corrects all of your perceptions of error and lays an Extension of Heaven in their places. How blessed are you who let this Gift be extended through you because this is how It is given to you. Heaven shines on you now. You are the Means of Innocence and you can be unafraid because you carry only Love with you.
6. You are One with Peace and Love has come into your awareness. The Love that you bring with you, you do not yet recognize but you will remember It. You will not deny that within yourself is the Vision of Love that you extend to replace the world in your mind. You will not fail to recognize the Gift that you have extended to Heaven through yourself. The gentle service that you give to the Holy Spirit is service to yourself. You are now the Holy Spiritís means and you must love all that the Holy Spirit loves. What you bring is your Memory of Everything that is Eternal. No trace of time can long remain in your mind when it serves the Eternal. And no illusion can disturb the Peace of your relationship, which has become the means for your Peace.
7. When you have completely forgiven the other in your Holy relationship for all of the personal mindís perceptions that you have projected onto them - without exception - there will be no mistake anywhere that you cannot overlook. No form of suffering can block your Vision and prevent you from seeing past it. You will recognize all illusions as mistakes; shadows through which you walk completely unaffected. God will not let anything interfere with you whose Will willingly serves Godís Will because you recognize that they are the same. Your remembering Godís Will and your own cannot be long delayed.
8. You will see your Value in your Holy relationship as you extend your Value to it and you will be released as you see salvation in place of the personal mindís attacks, which you thought were there. Through this releasing your mind releases the whole world that it perceives. This is your part in bringing Peace to yourself. You have asked what your Function is and this is the answer. Do not seek to change It or to substitute another goal for It. Accept your Function and serve It willingly. What the Holy Spirit does with the Gifts that you extend to your Holy relationship, and where and when they are offered to you, is up to the Holy Spirit. You will receive these Gifts when you welcome them and the Holy Spirit will use every one of them for your Peace. Not one little smile, or willingness to overlook the tiniest error, will be lost to you.
9. It can only Bless you to look on What God loves with charity. Extending forgiveness is the Holy Spiritís Function so leave this to the Holy Spirit. Your concern is only that you give to the Holy Spirit What can be extended. Do not hold onto anything that the Holy Spirit cannot use but offer the Holy Spirit your tiny gifts of Love, Which the Holy Spirit can extend Forever. The Holy Spirit will take your tiny gifts and make of them a potent Force for Peace. The Holy Spirit will bless them and will not limit them in any way. The Holy Spirit will join your tiny gifts to all the Power that God has given to the Holy Spirit to make them a source of healing for your entire mind. Each little gift of Love that you extend in your Perception of the other in your Holy relationship is extended to your entire mind. Do not be concerned with illusions. Look away from them and toward the Oneness that you extend in your perception of the other. Let illusions be dispelled by the Holy Spirit, Which knows Truth and lays Truth gently in each quiet smile of faith and confidence with which you bless your Holy relationship.
10. The welfare of your entire mind depends on what you learn. It is only in arrogance that you deny the power of your Will. The Will of God is not powerless and it is not humility for you to think that Godís Will is not your own. You do not see what this denial has done to you. You see yourself as vulnerable, frail, easily destroyed, and at the mercy of countless attackers more powerful than you. Look straight at how this error came about because here lies buried the heavy anchor that seems to keep the fear of God unmoving in your mind. While this error remains in your mind it will seem to be as solid as a rock.
11. You cannot attack yourself and not attack God. What is One with God can be weak, frail, and easily destroyed only if God is these things. You do not see that the separation and guilt that you perceive and justify are an attack on God. That is why they can not happen and are not real. You do not see that you do all of this because you think that you and God are separate. In fear you must think that you are separate from God. It seems safer to think that you attack yourself or a perceived ďotherĒ than to see that you attack God, Which has Power that you know.
12. If you recognized your Oneness with God you would know that Godís Power is your own. You will not remember this while attack of any kind has value to you. Attack is unjustified in any form because it has no meaning. You could justify it only if you and the world that you perceive were truly separate and both were truly separate from God. Only then would it be possible for you to attack the world without attacking God, to attack another without hurting yourself, or to attack yourself without perceiving your pain in your perceptions of the world. You want to believe that you can do this but only because you want to attack in safety. But attack is neither safe nor dangerous; it is impossible. This is so because your Mind is One. You choose to attack your Mindís Oneness because it is essential to attack that you think that the source of attack is separate from you. So it seems to you as though Love can attack and be frightening.
13. You only attack what is different from you. So you conclude that because you attack, differences must be real. Yet the Holy Spirit sees this differently: Because differences are not real you cannot attack. Each position comes to a logical conclusion and each can be maintained, but never both. The only question is: Are differences real? From the point of view of what you think you are in your identification with a personal self the answer is yes, so you think you can attack. This seems natural to, and in line with, your experience as a personal self. So it is necessary that you have other experiences that are in line with Truth to teach you What is True and Natural for you.
14. This is the Function of your Holy relationship: What you extend in your perception of the other you will experience. What does this mean but that your mind is One? Do not fear this happy fact and do not think it lays a heavy burden on you. When you have accepted it with gladness you will realize that your relationship reflects your Oneness with God. In a Loving Mind there is no separation. Every Loving Thought that you have extends Gladness to your entire mind. Joy is Unlimited because each Thought of Love extends Its Being and increases It. There is no difference of any kind in One Mind because every Thought is like Itself.
15. The Love that joins your mind extends throughout Reality and because It joins you It makes you One with God. In God, All of Reality is joined. Do not regret that you cannot get rid of fear by projecting it onto another when your Holy relationship can also teach you that the Power of Love is within you and that It makes all fear impossible. Do not attempt to keep a little of the personal mind with this Gift of the Holy relationship. The Holy relationship is meant to be used, not obscured. What teaches you that your mind cannot be split denies the personal mind. Let Truth teach you if differences or Oneness is real.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|