|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 24: The Goal of Specialness
1. Your motivation for doing this course is attaining and keeping the State of
2. To learn this course you must be willing to question every value that you hold in your identification with a personal self. Any value that you keep hidden and obscure will jeopardize your learning. No belief is neutral and every belief that you have has the power to dictate each decision that you make. A decision is a conclusion based on everything that you believe. A decision is the outcome of your belief and it follows as surely as suffering follows guilt and Freedom follows Innocence. There is no substitute for Peace; there is no alternative to What is One with God. Truth arises from God’s Knowledge. Your decisions come from your beliefs as certainly as all of Creation rose in God’s Mind because of What God knows.
1. Specialness as a Substitute for Love
1. Love is extension so for you to withhold Love anywhere is for you to not know Love’s Purpose. Love offers Itself to everything Forever. If you hold onto one belief in Love’s place then Love is gone from your mind because you asked a substitute to take Its place. Now must conflict, the substitute for Peace, come to you with the separation that you asked to substitute for Love’s Oneness. Your choosing separation has given separation all the reality that it seems to have for you.
2. Conflicting outcomes are impossible so your beliefs will never openly attack each other. But your not recognizing your beliefs is your decision to secretly attack yourself and to deny the results of your conflict, which you never bring to your True Reasoning Mind to be judged as sensible or not. In your identification with a personal self you have reached many senseless outcomes and you have made many meaningless decisions that you have kept hidden to become beliefs themselves that direct your subsequent decisions. Do not mistake the power of these hidden decisions to disrupt your Peace because your Peace is at their mercy while you decide to leave them hidden. Any decision where you choose separation instead of Love, no matter how small, is a secret enemy of your Peace and is quick to lead you into a conflict that encompasses all that your mind perceives. These decisions are there by your choosing so do not deny their presence or their terrible results. You can only deny their reality, not their outcome.
3. Your hidden beliefs always defend your faith in your specialness, though you don’t recognize this. This takes many forms but it always clashes with the Reality of your Oneness with God and with your Limitlessness in God. Only defending your specialness can justify your attack because you would not hate if you recognized that everything that you perceive is your Self. Only in separation do you perceive enemies because you perceive differences, not Oneness. Differences of any kind impose orders of reality and a need to judge that you cannot escape.
4. What is One with God cannot be attacked because there is nothing in Reality unlike Reality. But when you want differences to be real you call for judgment and your judgment must be that you are “better than”, “above”, and “sinless” compared to who you condemn. Specialness is your means and end at once because you are not only separate from who you judge but you see your attack on who is “beneath” you as natural and just. In specialness you are weak because of your separateness and the personal self that makes you special is your enemy. Yet you protect the personal mind’s hatred of you and you call it “friend”. You fight against Reality on its behalf because you value nothing more than the separate personal self.
5. Specialness is the great dictator of your wrong decisions. It is the grand illusion of what you are and of what you project onto others and it makes the body dear to you and worth preserving. You must defend specialness. Illusions can attack it and they do because the attack that you must perceive as coming from others to keep your specialness intact is an illusion. You must attack the other who is “worse” than you so that your specialness can live on their defeat. Your specialness is triumph and its victory is another’s defeat and shame. With your separation projected onto them they do not deserve to live and you must be their conqueror.
6. You would not hate others and attack them if you realized that they were perceptions in your mind and that as such they journey to the Goal of God with you. If you perceived this you would do everything that you could to perceive God in their place now to attain your Goal of God. In specialness you are an enemy to the others that you perceive but you are their friend in the shared Purpose of remembering God. In specialness you do not share because your goal is for you alone in the isolation of the personal mind. In specialness you feel your goals are jeopardized when another shares them. Love has no meaning for you when your goal is triumph. Any decision that you make for triumph over another will hurt you.
7. The others that you perceive are your friends because your mind is One. There is no difference between you and your mind’s perceptions in the world. Your relationships with others are for you to extend Love to, not for you to use to cut yourself off in separation. What you keep for yourself alone in the personal mind is lost to you. God extends God to your entire mind and to remember this now is the only Purpose that you share with your perception of a world, so it is the only Purpose that you have. You are not attacking another if you choose to overlook all specialness. In your Holy relationship look fairly at whatever makes you only sometimes extend Love to the other or that makes you think that you would be better off apart from the other. It is always your belief that your specialness is limited by the Holy relationship. Your desire for specialness is what makes the other an “enemy” to you.
8. Your fear of God and of the other in your Holy relationship comes from your unrecognized belief in your specialness because your specialness demands that others bow to it against their will. Even God must honor your specialness or suffer vengeance. Your every twinge of malice, stab of hate, or wish to separate arises from your desire for specialness. Here the Purpose of Oneness that you share with your perception of the other in your Holy relationship becomes obscured. You oppose this course because it teaches you that your mind is One. But you share your Purpose with all that your mind perceives and It comes from God. Your relationship has been made clean of special goals so do not defeat the Goal of Holiness that Heaven has given to it. In specialness your perspective changes with every seeming blow, each imagined slight, and every fancied judgment on it.
9. In your specialness you must defend illusions against the Truth because you perceive your specialness as an attack on the Will of God and you expect God to attack you back. And you do not extend Love to your perception of the other in your relationship because you are defending your perceived attack on God. It seems to you that the other attacks your specialness, too, and that you must defend it. Your specialness is the grounds for conflict between you so you must see the other as your enemy and not as your friend. There cannot be Peace among the different but the other is your friend because your mind is One.
2. The Treachery of Specialness
1. Comparisons must come from the personal mind because Love, being One, doesn’t make comparisons. Your specialness always makes comparisons because your specialness is established by the separation that you project onto another and it is maintained by your searching for and keeping clear in sight all of the separation that you can perceive. Separation is all that your specialness looks upon. But you can extend your Christ Mind instead to those whom you diminish for the sake of your specialness. Compared to the littleness that the personal mind projects onto others you see your specialness as tall and stately, clean and honest, pure and unsullied. But you do not see that it is yourself that you diminish by this comparison because of your identification with a personal self.
2. Your pursuit of specialness always costs you Peace. Attack another to whom you could extend your Christ Mind leaves you without the Strong Support extending your Christ Mind to them would give to you. You cannot detract from your Christ Mind’s Omnipotence and share Its Power. You cannot use part of your mind as a judge of limitedness and be released from all limits. You have a Function in your salvation and Its pursuit will bring you Joy. But your pursuit of specialness brings you pain because it is a goal that defeats your salvation and so runs counter to God’s Will. For you to value your specialness is for you to esteem an alien will in which an illusion of yourself is dearer to you than Truth.
3. Your specialness turns your perception of separation from God into a “sin” for you because it seems to make separation real. It is be impossible for you to imagine “sin” without your specialness as its base because your idea that separation from God is real comes out of your desire for specialness. But specialness is nothingness and “sin” is like an evil flower with no real roots. Your specialness is your self-made “savior”, the “creator” that creates unlike God, which made Part of God like itself and unlike God. Now Part of God’s Mind perceives many special “selves”, never One Self. Each of these selves seems separate from you and from God. You choose your own specialness instead of Heaven and Peace and you wrap it in “sin”, which cannot be undone, to keep it “safe” from Truth.
4. You are not special. You cannot know the Truth when you think that you are special and you defend it against the Truth that you are really One with God. You cannot hear the answers that the Holy Spirit gives to you when you listen to your specialness, which both asks the questions and then answers them. Your specialness’ tiny answer, which is soundless in the Eternal Communication Which flows from God to you in Loving Praise of What you are, is all that you listen to. God’s Honor and Love for What you are seem silent and unheard by you before the “mightiness” of your specialness. As you strain to hear its soundless voice you are deaf to the Call of God.
5. You can defend your specialness but you will never hear the Holy Spirit beside it. Your specialness and the Holy Spirit speak to you of different things and they seem to be heard in different parts of your mind. It seems that every special person in the world that you perceive has a different special message that is the truth for them. But the Truth cannot be different for parts of a mind that is One. The special message that you hear in your specialness convinces you that you are different and separate in your special form of separation and “safe” from the Oneness of Love, Which does not see specialness at all. Your Christ Mind’s Vision is your “enemy” in your specialness because It does not look on the specialness that you want to see and It shows you that the specialness that you want is an illusion.
6. What does your Christ Mind’s Vision show you? The Love of God, Which is so like God that It brings God instantly to your mind. With your Christ Mind you remember your own Extension of God, Which is as like to you as you are to God. And the entire world that you made, all of your specialness, and all of the forms of separation that you held onto to defend your specialness vanish as you accept the Truth about yourself and let It take their place. This is the only “cost” of Truth: You no longer see what never was, nor hear what makes no sound. Is it a sacrifice for you to give up nothing and to receive the Love of God in your awareness Forever?
7. You have chained your Holy relationship to your specialness by projecting specialness onto the other instead of extending your Christ Mind in your perception of them but remember this: By extending your Christ Mind in your perception of the other you extend the Power to forgive you all of the “sins” that you think that you perceive between the other and the function of salvation that has been given to your relationship with them. You cannot change the function of your Holy relationship any more than you can change your Oneness with the Truth beyond the personal mind’s projections onto the other. The Truth is the same for both you and your perception of the other in your Holy relationship, Its message is the same for both and Its message has One meaning. It is a message that you can understand and that releases you and your perception of the other to your Christ Mind. Here stands your Holy relationship holding out the key to Heaven to you. Do not let the illusion of specialness remain between you and your perception of the other because a Mind that is One is joined in Truth.
8. Think of the Loveliness that you will see within yourself when you have looked on the other in your Holy relationship as your friend. In your perception of Holiness the other is the enemy of your specialness but a friend to the Christ that is Real in you. None of your attacks on the other has taken away the Gift of Love that God has given to you to extend to them. Your entire mind needs this Gift as much as you. Let your relationship forgive your specialness by extending to it the Wholeness of your Mind to make you One. Your relationship waits for your extension of forgiveness so that you may be forgiven. God has not condemned you but you have condemned God’s Oneness to save your specialness and to kill your Self.
9. You have come far along the way to Truth; too far to falter now. Just one more step and every vestige of your fear of God will melt away in Love. The other’s specialness and your specialness are enemies, bound in hate to kill each other and to deny that they are the same. But it is not an illusion of yourself that has reached this final obstacle that seems to make God and Heaven so remote to you that you cannot reach Them. Here in this Holy Place Oneness stands waiting to receive you and your entire mind in silent blessing and in Peace so Real and so Encompassing that nothing stands outside of It. Leave all illusions outside of this Place to Which you come in hope and honesty.
10. In Holiness your perception of the other is your Savior from specialness. You need to accept that you and your perception of the other are Part of One Mind. Together you are as alike to God as God is to God. God is not special because God does not keep any Part of God cut off from the rest of God. And you fear this because if God is not special then God’s Will is that you are not special. So your relationship is in your One Mind, not special, but possessed of Everything, including you. Extend to your perception of the other the Oneness that is already here, remembering that God extends God to your entire mind with equal Love so that you can share Reality with God. In God, Love is never divided and kept from the Oneness It is and must be Forever.
11. Your Holy relationship with the other in your perception is Oneness because Love is not denied to any part of your mind. You do not lose because you perceive Completion in your relationship. The Truth beyond the personal mind’s projections onto the other makes you Complete, as It makes your perception of your relationship Complete. God’s Love gives your Holy relationship to you because God gives God and What is the same as God is One with God. Only your specialness makes the Truth of your Oneness with God seem like something other than Heaven and makes it seem that you can find the hope of Peace in specialness.
12. Your specialness is the seal of treachery on your gift of “love”. Whatever serves specialness’ purpose you give to kill the Truth in you. What your specialness offers brings treachery to you as giver and receiver. What you look on through specialness is death. Believe in its potency and you will seek out bargains and compromises with Truth where you want to make separation from God the substitute for Love and which will serve it faithfully. Any relationship in which you hold your specialness dear clings to murder as a weapon for safety and to the personal self as a defense against the “threat” of Love’s Oneness.
13. Your hope that specialness is real makes it seem possible to you that God made the body which keeps you safe from God. Your specialness demands a special place where God cannot enter; a hiding place where only a tiny personal self is welcome. What is sacred in the body is for you alone, separate from others, safe from all intrusions of Sanity on illusions, safe from God, and safe for everlasting conflict. The body is the gate of hell that you have closed on yourself so that you can rule your special kingdom in madness and isolation, apart from God, away from Truth, and away from salvation.
14. The key to the gate of hell that you threw away can be found in your extension of Oneness in your Holy relationship. Your Holiness, which you see in your perception of the other, offers this key to you when you are ready to accept God’s Plan for your salvation in place of the one that you made with the personal mind. You reach this readiness by perceiving your misery and through your awareness that the personal mind’s plan has failed and always will fail to bring you Peace and Joy of any kind. You travel through this despair now but it is only an illusion of despair. The death of your specialness is not your death but your awakening into Eternal Life. You will emerge from an illusion of what you are to your acceptance of your Oneness with God.
3. The Forgiveness of Specialness
1. Your forgiving your perception of separation from God is the end of your specialness. You can only forgive illusions and when you do they disappear. Real forgiving releases all illusions and that is why it is impossible for you to partly forgive. You cannot see your Innocence if you cling to even one illusion because then you are cherishing an error that is “unforgivable” and therefore a “sin”. You cannot wholly extend forgiveness if you are not ready to wholly accept forgiveness for yourself. You will receive forgiveness wholly the instant that you wholly extend it. Your secret guilt will disappear, forgiven by yourself.
2. Whatever form of specialness that you cherish you make a “sin” to you. It stands unchanged and strongly defended by the personal mind’s puny might against the Will of God. This “sin” stands against you; it is your enemy, not God’s enemy. It seems to split you off from God because your defense of it means that you are protecting what is not One with God. But this idol of specialness that is supposed to give you power takes True Power away from you. You give to it the power that belongs to the Truth in your Holy relationship, leaving you perceiving you and the other in separation and misery before an idol of specialness that cannot save you.
3. It is not the Truth in you that is so vulnerable and open to attack that just a little whisper that you do not like, a circumstance that doesn’t suit you, or an event that you did not anticipate upsets your world and hurls it into chaos. Truth is not frail; illusions leave It perfectly unmoved. Specialness is not the Truth in you. It can be thrown off balance by anything because it rests on nothing and it can never be stable. However large and overblown specialness seems to be it still rocks and turns and twirls about with every breeze.
4. Nothing is secure without a foundation and God has not left you in a state where safety has no meaning. You are safe, resting on God. It is your specialness that is attacked by everything that walks and breathes, creeps or crawls, or even lives at all. Your specialness attacks everything and your specialness is never safe. It is Forever unforgiving because it is your secret vow that What God wants for you will never be and that you will oppose God’s Will Forever. It is not possible that your specialness and God’s Will will ever be the same because your specialness makes an enemy of God.
5. God asks for your forgiveness for the specialness that God cannot give to you. God does not want separation, like an alien will, to rise between What God Wills for you and What you Will for yourself. The Will of your Christ Mind and God’s Will are the same because neither one wills your specialness. How could They will the death of Love Itself? But Christ’s Will and God’s Will are powerless to attack your illusions. They are not bodies; as One Mind they wait for you to bring illusions to Them and to leave illusions behind. Your salvation doesn’t even challenge death. Even God, Which knows that death is not your Will, must say, “Thy will be done” when you think that death is your will.
6. Forgive the Creator of All; the Source of Life, Love, and Holiness; the Perfect Whole of Which you are a Perfect Part for your illusions of your specialness. Your specialness is the hell that you chose to be your home. God did not choose this for you; do not ask God to enter into it. In this hell your way to Love and salvation is barred. But if you release the personal mind’s projections of hell on the other in your Holy relationship you forgive God, Which wills that you live Forever in the arms of Peace, in Perfect Safety, and without the malice of one thought of specialness to mar your rest. Forgive God the specialness that God cannot give and that you made instead.
7. In specialness it is as though you are asleep, surrounded by a Loveliness that you do not perceive. Freedom, Peace, and Joy are beside the bier on which you sleep and they call you to waken from your dream of death. But you do not hear them when you are lost in dreams of specialness. You hate the Call that will awaken you and you curse God because God did not make your dream into Reality. Curse God and die but not by God. God did not make death and you die only in your dream of separation from God. But you open your eyes a little by seeing the salvation that God offers to you in your Holy relationship. What you extend to the your relationship is yours.
8. Though you are a slave to specialness you will yet be free from all limitations. This is the Will of God, and your Will. God does not condemn Itself to hell and damnation. Do you will to see this in your perception of the other in your Holy relationship? God calls to you from your Holy relationship to join God’s Will to save your entire mind from hell. Look at the crucifixion that the personal mind perceives in the other and holds out for your forgiveness. God ask that you have mercy on your Christ Mind and on God. Do not deny Them. They ask only that you let your Will be done. They seek your Love so that you will love yourself. Do not love your specialness instead of Them. The crucifixion that you perceive in the other is yours. Forgive God for not making your crucifixion God’s Will.
4. Specialness versus Sinlessness
1. Your specialness results in you lacking trust in anyone but the personal self with which you identify. You invest your faith in this personal self alone and everything else becomes your enemy: feared and attacked, deadly and dangerous, hated and worthy only of destruction. Whatever offers you gentleness you see as deception but if it offers you hate you believe it is real. Everything is out to kill you because it is in danger of destruction from you so you are drawn to kill it first. This is your attraction to your separation from God: death is enthroned as your savior, crucifixion is your redemption, and your salvation means the destruction of the world, except for you.
2. In your identification with a personal self your purpose for the body is only your specialness. It is this that makes it frail and helpless in defense of itself. You conceived of the body to make you frail and helpless in your identification with it. Your goal of separation is the body’s curse. But the body does not have goals; purpose is of the mind and your mind can change as you desire. You cannot change What your mind is and all of its attributes but you can change what you hold as your mind’s purpose and the body’s condition will shift with this change. The body can do nothing of itself. See the body as a means to hurt yourself and it is hurt; see it as a means to heal your mind and it is healed.
3. You can only hurt yourself. This has often been repeated in this course but it is impossible for you to grasp when your mind is intent on specialness. But when you choose to heal instead of to attack it is quite obvious. The purpose of attack is in your mind and you feel its effects there. Your mind is not limited so your harmful purpose shows up in your perception. Nothing makes less sense to your specialness or more sense to miracles. Your experience of miracles merely shifts the purpose of your mind from hurt to healing. This shift does “endanger” your specialness but only because all illusions are “threatened” by the Truth. Illusions will not stand before the Truth. But you have never found comfort in illusions so why keep from God the miracles that God asks you to extend in their place? Extend Love to God and All is yours. But the “love” that you give to illusions is never returned to you. What you give to an illusion leaves you bankrupt and leaves your treasure house barren and empty. And then you invite in everything that will disturb your Peace.
4. Earlier in this course it says to not consider the means by which you attain salvation but do consider well whether or not you wish to see Innocence in place of the personal mind’s projections on the other in your Holy relationship. To your specialness the answer must be “no” because Innocence is an “enemy” to your specialness while sin, if it were possible, would be its friend. If your separation from God were real then the sin that you project onto the other would justify your specialness and give it the meaning that Truth denies to it. But All that is Real proclaims the Innocence of all that your mind perceives; all that is false proclaims that the separation that you perceive in the other is real. If the other is not sinful then the “reality” that you have made for yourself is not real but just an illusion of your specialness that lasts an instant before crumbling into dust.
5. Do not defend this senseless illusion in which God is bereft of What It loves and you remain beyond salvation. Only this is certain in the shifting world in your mind that has no meaning in Reality: When you are not entirely Peaceful or when you suffer pain of any kind you have beheld some form of separation as real and you have rejoiced at it because your specialness seemed safe because of it. And so you have saved the specialness that the personal mind has appointed as your savior and you have crucified your Christ Mind, Which you could have extended in its place. You are bound to your perception of the other in your Holy relationship because your mind is One, so specialness is the “enemy” of your True Mind.
5. The Christ in You
1. Your Christ Mind is very Still. It looks on What It loves and knows It as Itself and It rejoices because It knows that What It sees is One with It and with God. Your specialness also takes joy in what it sees, although what it sees is not true. What you seek for is a source of joy for you as you conceive of joy. What you wish for is true for you. It is not possible for you to wish for something and to lack faith that it is real. Your wishing makes something real to you as surely as Will extends Itself. The power of your wish upholds illusions as strongly as Love extends Itself. But wishes delude and Love heals.
2. You have no illusion of specialness in which you do not suffer your own guilt, no matter how hidden, how disguising the form, how lovely it may seem to be, or how much it delicately offers you hope of peace and escape from pain. In your illusions cause and effect are interchanged because you, the maker of the illusion, believe that what you made is happening to you. You do not realize that you picked a thread from here, a scrap from there, and wove a picture out of nothing. The parts do not belong together and the whole does not give any meaning to the parts.
3. Your Peace can only arise from your forgiving your illusion that you separated from God. Your Christ Mind looks only on the Truth and It does not see any guilt that needs forgiveness. Your Christ Mind is at Peace because It sees no separation. Identify with your Christ Mind and you will have Everything that your Christ Mind has. Your Christ Mind will be your eyes, your ears, your hands, your feet. How Gentle will be the sights and sounds that you hear through your Christ Mind! How Beautiful will be your hand which, in your perception of your Christ’s Mind’s Oneness, holds the hand of another who once seemed separate from you in a world that you thought was outside of your mind. Through your Christ Mind you will see and hear What can be seen and heard and you will overlook the nothingness where there are no real sights or sounds.
4. But see specialness in the other in your Holy relationship and you will believe that you are special. You will see the other as dangerous to you and you will want to destroy them because specialness delights in killing. It seeks death and it leads to destruction. But do not think that what it sees and hates in the other it sees in them first. The “sin” that specialness loves to see in the other it saw in you first and it still looks on it with joy. But is it joy to look on decay and madness and believe this crumbling thing is like yourself?
5. Rejoice that you do not really have eyes to see, or ears to listen, or hands to hold, or feet to guide. Be glad that your Christ Mind can lend you these while you still perceive yourself in a world. They are illusions, too, but they serve a different Purpose and are given this Purpose’s Strength. What they see and hear and hold and lead to is Love so that you may extend Love as It was given to you.
6. Your Christ Mind is very Still. Your Christ Mind knows Where you are going and It leads you There in Gentleness and Blessing all the way. Your Christ Mind’s Love for God replaces all the fear that you thought that you saw within yourself. Your Christ Mind’s Holiness shows you Christ in your Holy relationship. Through your Christ Mind What you see is like yourself because in your Christ Mind there is only Christ to see and hear and love and follow Home. Your Christ Mind looked within you and saw that you were unaware that you are Complete. So your Christ Mind seeks for your Completion in everything that It beholds and loves so that everything might offer you the Love of God.
7. Your Christ Mind is Quiet because It knows that Love is in you now and that It is safely held by the same hand that holds a perception of Oneness in your Holy relationship. Your Christ Mind holds all that you perceive in Itself. Your Christ Mind gives you Vision where you were once blind to Christ and your Christ Mind speaks to you of Heaven so that you do not hear of conflict and death anymore. Your Christ Mind reaches through all that you perceive so that everything may be blessed with Holiness. Your Christ Mind rejoices that you share these Visions so that you can share your Christ Mind’s Joy. Your Christ Mind offers you Its perfect lack of specialness so that you may see Life instead of death, receiving from everything the Gift of Life that your forgiving offers to your Self. The Sight of Christ is all that there is for you to see, the Sound of Christ is all that there is for you to hear, the Hand of Christ is all that there is for you to hold. The only journey for you in the world that you perceive is for you to walk with your Christ Mind in your awareness.
8. You who want to be content with specialness and seek for salvation in a war with Love, consider this: Your Christ Mind has come into your awareness to offer you your own Completion. What belongs to your Christ Mind is your own because in your Completion is your Christ Mind’s Completion. God wills to be One and can never leave you incomplete. Christ is in your perception of the other in your Holy relationship, Perfect as yourself and as like to God in Holiness as you must be.
9. You must have doubt before you can be in conflict and all your doubt must be about yourself. Your Christ Mind has no doubts and your Christ Mind’s Quiet comes from Its Certainty. You will have your Christ Mind’s Certainty to replace your doubts if you agree that you are One with Christ and that this Oneness is Endless, Timeless, and within your grasp because Christ’s Hands are yours. Christ is within you and yet Christ is beside you and before you, leading the way that your Christ Mind must go to find Completion. Your Christ Mind’s Quietness is your Certainty. You have no doubt when Certainty has come.
6. Salvation from Fear
1. The world is still before the Holiness that you perceive in your relationship and Peace descends in Gentleness and Blessing so complete that not one trace of conflict still remains to haunt you. Christ, Which is in your perception of the other in your Holy relationship, is your Savior from your illusions of fear. Your Christ Mind heals your sense of sacrifice and your fear that what you have will scatter with the wind and turn to dust. In your perception of your Christ Mind in your perception of the other is your assurance that God is here with you now. While you look on your Christ Mind you can be sure that you can know God. God can never leave Its Own Extension. The sign that this is so is in your perception of Christ in your Holy relationship, which is offered to you so that all your doubts about yourself may disappear in your perception of Holiness. See God’s Extension in your relationship because in this God awaits your acknowledgement that you are God’s Extension.
2. Without you God would lack, Heaven would be incomplete, and God’s extension of God would cease. There would be no Oneness and no Reality because What God wills is Whole and is Part of God because God’s Will is One. All that is is alive in God. The Holiness that you see in your perception of the other shows you that God is One with you despite your perception of a world of separation; that What God has is yours because your mind is not split, nor are you separate from God.
3. Nothing is ever lost to you. God lays Lovingly before you All that God extends as yours Forever. Every Thought in God’s Mind is in your mind. It is God’s Will that you share God’s Love for you and that you look on yourself as Lovingly as God looked on you before the world entered your mind and as God looks on you still. God does not change Its Mind about you with passing circumstances that have no meaning in Eternity, Where God abides and Where you abide with God. It is this that saves you from a world that God did not create.
4. Do not forget that healing your mind is all that the world that you perceive is for. That is the only purpose that the Holy Spirit sees in it, therefore that is the only one that it has. Until you accept your mind’s total healing as all that you wish to be accomplished in time and perception you will not know God or yourself. If you use the world that you perceive for another purpose you will not escape its laws of violence and death. But it is given to you to be beyond the perceived world’s laws in every respect, in every way, in every circumstance, in all temptation to perceive what is not there, and in all belief that What is One with God can suffer pain because It sees Itself as something other than What It is.
5. Look on Holiness in your relationship in the world that you perceive and behold in it the whole reversal of the laws that seem to rule the world. See your Freedom from limitation as you extend Freedom to your relationship. Do not let your desire for specialness obscure the Truth in your relationship because any law of death that you project onto the other will bind you. Any “sin” that you see in the other keeps your mind in hell. Yet your Perfect Innocence will release your mind because Holiness is impartial, judging everything in your mind the same. That judgment is made by the Holy Spirit, Which speaks for God in Everything that shares God’s Being.
6. Perceiving Truly, your mind can look on God’s Innocence. It is God’s Loveliness that it can perceive in everything. It is God that your mind can look for everywhere and there is no sight, no place, and no time that it will not find God. The Holiness that you see in your relationship is the perfect frame for your salvation and for the salvation of all that your mind perceives. Your Memory of God is set in this Holiness, in Which your entire mind lives. Do not let your mind live in denial because of the veil of specialness that hides your Christ Mind from you. No longer let your fear of God hold from you the Vision that you are meant to see. The other’s body cannot show you your Christ Mind; your Christ Mind is in the Holiness that you extend in your perception of the other.
7. You choose what you want to perceive, either bodies or Holiness, and which you look upon is what you believe is true for you. You will choose in countless situations until you decide only for Truth. You do not regain Eternity by seeing one more denial of your Christ Mind in the body of another. Where is your salvation if even one body is the truth? Where is your Peace but in the Holiness that you extend to replace the personal mind’s projections? God is Forever in that Part of God that God has set Forever in the Holiness that you extend in your perception of the other so that you can see the Truth about yourself in terms that you recognize and understand.
8. The Holiness that you extend in your perception of the other is sacrament and benediction to you. The errors of separation that you perceive in the other cannot withhold God’s blessing from your perception when you decide to perceive the other Truly. The mistakes that you project onto the other can cause you delay but the means are given to you to correct these mistakes and to end a journey that has never really begun and so needs no end. What never was is not part of you but you will still think that it is until you realize it is not true for what your mind perceives. In your perception of the other is the mirror of your mind where you see the judgment that you have laid on yourself and on everything that you perceive. Your Christ Mind beholds only Holiness; your specialness looks on the other’s body and doesn’t see anything real.
9. See Truth in place of the personal mind’s projections on the other so that you may be delivered soon. The other choice offers you only senseless wandering without purpose or accomplishment of any kind. You will be haunted by a sense of futility while your Christ Mind lies dormant in your perception of the other and until you lift your projections of the personal self’s past from them, and, as you have been assigned, you extend your Christ Mind to your perception of them. The other is given to you to save yourself from condemnation by lifting condemnation from your perception of them. You looked on Part of God’s Mind and saw flesh and you thought it was real and you bound Part of God’s Mind to laws that can have no power over It but you shall see God’s Glory in your Christ Mind everywhere.
10. Gladly realize that the laws of flesh are not for you by not seeing your perception of the other as bound by these laws. What governs any Part of God’s Mind must hold for all the rest. You place yourself under the laws that you see ruling your perception of the other. Think, then, how great the Love of God for you must be that God has given Part of God to you to save you from pain and to give you happiness. Never doubt that your specialness will disappear before the Will of God, Which loves every Part of God with equal Love. Your Christ Mind can perceive Truth in the other. Do you want to decide against the Holiness that your Christ Mind perceives?
11. Your specialness is the function that you have given to yourself in your identification with a personal self. Your specialness stands for you alone: self-created, self-maintained, in need of nothing, and not joined with anything beyond the body. In the eyes of specialness you are a separate universe with all the power to hold itself complete within itself, with every entry shut against the intrusion of Truth, and with every window barred against the Light of Love. Always attacked and furious, with anger fully justified, you have pursued the goal of specialness with a vigilance that you never thought to yield and an effort that you never thought to cease. All this grim determination was because you wanted specialness to be the truth.
12. You are asked now to pursue another Goal with far less vigilance, little effort, little time, and with the Power of God maintaining It and promising success. Yet of the two, this is the goal that you find more difficult. You understand the “sacrifice” of your True Self to specialness and you do not deem this cost too heavy. But a tiny willingness to nod to God, or to greet your Christ Mind, you find a burden too wearisome, tedious, and heavy to be tolerated. But dedication to the Truth as God established It does not ask you for sacrifice or strain and all the Power of Heaven and the Might of Truth provide the means and guarantee the Goal’s accomplishment.
13. You believe that it is easier to perceive bodies than to perceive Holiness but be sure that you understand what has made this judgment. Here you clearly hear the voice of your specialness judging against your Christ Mind and telling you which purpose you can attain and which Purpose you cannot attain. Do not forget that this judgment applies to you only as an ally to specialness because what you do through your Christ Mind your specialness does not know. To your Christ Mind your specialness’ judgment does not make sense at all because only What God Wills is possible and there is no alternative for your Christ Mind to see. Your Peace comes out of your Christ Mind’s lack of conflict and the means for effortless accomplishment and rest comes from your Christ Mind’s Purpose.
7. The Meeting Place
1. In your attachment to the world that you perceive you bitterly defend your specialness, which you want to be the truth. Your wish is your law and you obey it. In your love for it you do not withhold anything that your specialness demands and you do not deny it anything that it needs. While your specialness calls to you, you do not hear the Holy Spirit. You judge that no effort is too great, no cost is too much, and no price is too high for you to save your specialness from the least slight, the tiniest attack, a whispered doubt, or a hint of threat. You reserve only the deepest reverence for your specialness. It is a part of you, as beloved of you as you are beloved of God. But it stands in place of your Extension of God, Which is part of you so that you can be One with God. What is this thing that you have made to be your strength? What is this self in a world that you made on whom you lavish so much love? What is this parody of God’s Creation that takes the place of your Extension of God? Where is your Extension of God now that your mind has made something else that it prefers?
2. Your Memory of God does not shine in the isolation of a personal mind. The Holiness that you perceive in the other in your Holy relationship contains all of God’s Extension: What seems to have gone by, What you are aware of now, and What is yet to dawn on your awareness. The Holiness that you perceive in the other is Changeless and you recognize your Changelessness by acknowledging It. Your Holiness belongs in your mind’s perception and by your seeing It in the other It returns to your awareness. All of your love and care, your strong protection, your thoughts night and day, your deep concern, and your powerful conviction that this is you belong to the Holiness that you perceive in your relationship. What you have given to specialness is due to Holiness and what is due to Holiness is due to you.
3. You cannot know your Worth while specialness claims you instead. You cannot fail to know your Holiness when you see It in your perception of the other. Do not seek to make your specialness the truth because if it were the truth you would indeed be lost. Be thankful that it is given to you to see your Holiness in your relationship instead because It is the Truth. What is True in your perception of your relationship must be True in you.
4. In your identification with a personal self can you protect your mind? The body you can protect, not from time, but temporarily. But what you think that you save you hurt because what would you save the body for? In your answer lies the body’s health and its harm. Save the body for show, as bait to catch another body, to house your specialness in better style, or to weave a frame of loveliness around your hate and you condemn yourself to decay and death. If this is the purpose that you see in any body you condemn yourself to it. But choose to see Holiness in place of bodies so that you may see the Truth and you are saved from decay.
5. God keeps safe What God extends. You cannot touch God’s Extension with the false ideas that you made because God’s Extension was not made by you. Do not let your foolish fancies frighten you. You cannot attack the Immortal and what is temporal has no real effects. Only the purpose that you see in anything gives it meaning for you and if you see its purpose is Truth then its safety is secure. But of you see its purpose is not Truth then it is means for nothing. Whatever you perceive as means for Holiness shares in Holiness’ Purpose and rests in safety. When it is gone the Holiness remains, Immortal, a gift to your Extension of God as a sign that you have not forgotten It.
6. The question to ask of everything in the world that you perceive is what is it for? Your answer makes it what it is for you. Nothing in the world that you perceive has any meaning in itself but you give reality to it according to the purpose that you serve. So in the world that you perceive you are a means as well. In Heaven, God is Means and End. This is the State of Extension, Which is found in Eternity but not in time. It is not describable in the world and there is no way to for you learn what this Condition means. You will not understand It until you go past learning to What is Given to you by God and you make a Holy Home in your Mind for your Extension of God.
7. In Oneness with God you must extend God and your Extension of God must be like God: a Perfect Being, All-encompassing, Whole, needing nothing; no size, no place no time, no limits, nor uncertainties of any kind. In God Means and End are One and this Oneness has no end at all. All of this is True. But It has no meaning when you still retain one thought that you haven’t forgiven, a divided purpose, or one wish to be something else.
8. This course attempts to teach you only what you can easily learn. It does not exceed your own capacity but What is yours will come to you when you are ready for It. In your perception of a world means and end are made separate, so this course deals with them as though they are. It is essential for you to keep in mind that all of your perception is upside down until you understand its purpose. What you perceive seems to be reality, not a means, and this is what makes it hard for you to grasp the extent to which what you perceive depends on what you think that perception is for. What you perceive seems to teach you what is real but it actually witnesses to what you teach yourself. It is an outward picture of a wish; an image that you want to be true.
9. Look at what you think that you are and you will see a body. This body will look different in a different light and if you turn the light off it will seem to be gone. But you are reassured that it is there because you can feel it with its own hands and hear it move with its own ears. This is an image that you want to be you; the means to make your wish come true. It gives the eyes with which you look on it, the hands that feel it, and the ears with which you listen to the sounds that it makes. The body proves its own reality to you.
10. So the body is made a theory of you, with no evidence for anything beyond itself and no escape from itself. Its course is sure when seen through its own eyes: it grows and withers, flourishes and dies. You cannot conceive of yourself apart from it. You brand it sinful and you hate it, judging it evil. But your specialness whispers, “Here is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.” So does the body become the means to serve specialness’ purpose. Means and end here are not identical or even alike – the body is physical material, specialness is an idea - yet you still offer the body to specialness for it to get what it wants. This is a travesty on God’s Creation. Just as God’s extension of God to you gives God Joy and witnesses to God’s Love and Oneness, so does the body testify to the idea of specialness with which you made it and speaks for its reality and truth.
11. So you seem to have two selves in the world that you perceive – one extended to you by God, another you made – and both appear to walk the world that you perceive without a meeting place. The one that you made you perceive as a body outside of your mind, in a world outside of your mind; the Part of God rests within your mind and can be perceived through extension from your mind. The difference between these two selves does not lie in how they look, where they go, or what they do. They have a different purpose and it is this that joins them to what is like them and separates each from the other. The Part of God retains God’s Will; the self of the world perceives it has a will alien to God and wishes it were so. This self’s perception serves its wish by giving it the appearance of truth. But perception can serve another Goal. It is only bound to specialness by your choice. You can make a different choice and use perception for a different Purpose. What you perceive will serve that Purpose well and prove Its Own Reality to you.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|