|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 25: The Justice of God
1. Your Christ Mind is in you but not in a body so it must be that you are not in a body. What is within you cannot be outside of you and it is certain that you cannot be apart from What is at the very center of your Life. What gives you Life cannot be housed in death so neither can you. But instead of a body you can perceive a Frame of Holiness for your extension of your Christ Mind. This Frame is for your Christ Mind to be made manifest to you where you once thought a body was real. Your perception of bodies will melt away from you and you will be aware only of the Holiness of your mind.
2. You carry your Christ Mind with you so you cannot fail to perceive your Christ Mind everywhere Ė except when bodies are real to you. As long as you believe that you are a body you will think that you are where your Christ Mind cannot be. You carry your Christ Mind within you unknowingly so you do not make your Christ Mind manifest and you do not recognize that your Christ Mind is within you. A person is not the risen Christ, yet Christ does abide in your mind exactly where you perceive a person. Your Christ Mind perceives Holiness as plainly as your specialness perceives a body.
3. The body does not need healing but if your mind thinks that it is a body it is sick indeed! It is in your mind that Christ sets forth the remedy. Your Christ Mindís Purpose perceives bodies through Love and fills them with the Holiness that shines from your Christ Mind. Nothing that a body says or does can prevent your Christ Mind from manifesting in your awareness. A body will carry you to other bodies where you think that you do not know Christ and you will extend your Christ Mind to them in Gentleness and Love to heal your mind. The mission that the other in your Holy relationship has is to be here for you to fulfill your mission of extending your Christ Mind to your perception of them.
1. The Link to Truth
1. It cannot be hard for you to do the task that your Christ Mind appoints you to do since it is your Christ Mind Which does it. In doing it you will learn that the body only seems to be the means of doing it. Your mind is Christís and so It must be yours. Christís Holiness directs the body through your mind, which is One with Christ. The Holiness of your mind is made manifest to you in the Holiness that you extend to your perception of another. Here is the Holy Meeting Place of Christ and Christ. You will perceive no differences standing between these Aspects of your Christ Mindís Holiness, Which meet and join and raise your Christ Mind to God, Whole and Pure and Worthy of Godís Everlasting Love.
2. How can you manifest the Christ in your mind except to look on Holiness and perceive Christ There? You use perception to manifest what you believe about yourself. Look on bodies and you will believe that you are a body. Every body will remind you of your sinfulness and your death. You will despise the bodies that you see because they remind you of this and you will seek their death instead. The message and the messenger are one. You must perceive others as you perceive yourself. Your sinfulness and condemnation are framed in your perception of anotherís body. But see a frame of Holiness instead of a body and your Christ Mind will proclaim Itself as you.
3. What you perceive is a choice of what you want yourself to be, the reality that you want to live in, and the state in which you think that your mind will be content and satisfied. What you perceive is your decision about where you think that your safety lies. Your perceptions reveal yourself to you as you want you to be. They are always faithful to your purpose, from which they never separate and for which they always, and are the only, witness. What you perceive is a part of your purpose because means and end are never separate. So you learn that what you perceive that seems apart from you is not separate from you at all.
4. You are the means for God, not separate from God, nor with a life apart from God. Godís Life is manifest in you who are One with God. Every aspect of your mind is an aspect of God and is framed in Holiness, Perfect Purity, and Heavenly Love so Complete that It wishes only to release all that It looks upon. Your Mindís Radiance can shine through each body that you look upon, brushing them away by looking past them to Godís Love. The veil of illusion in your mind is lifted through Loveís Gentleness and nothing hides your Christ Mind when you want to look on It. Now, in your Holy relationship, you stand with your Christ Mind to let It draw aside the veil that seems to keep your mind separated.
5. Since you believe that you are separate Heaven presents Itself as separate, too. It is not in Truth but the Holy Spirit that has been given to you to link you with Truth must reach you through what you can understand. God and your Christ Mind and the Holy Spirit are One, as you and what your mind perceives are One in Truth. Your Christ Mind and God are never separate and your Christ Mind abides within your understanding in the Part of you that shareís Godís Will. The Holy Spirit links the part of your mind that is home to your tiny, mad desire to be separate, different, and special to your Christ Mind to make Oneness clear to you who are really One already. You cannot understand this from the perspective of the world that you made but you can learn it.
6. The Holy Spirit serves your Christ Mindís Purpose so that the error of your goal of specialness can be corrected in your mind, where it is. The Holy Spirit knows What you really will because the Holy Spiritís Purpose is still One with God through your Christ Mind. You understand this in your Mind, Which perceives Itself as One and experiences Itself as One. It is the Holy Spiritís Function to teach you how to experience this Oneness, what you must do to experience It, and where you should go within yourself to experience It.
7. All of this takes note of time and space as if they were separate from your mind because while you think that part of your mind is separate the concept of Oneness is meaningless to you. It is obvious that your split mind can not be a teacher of a Oneness Which unites all things within Itself. So the Holy Spirit within your split mind, Which does unite all things together, must be a Teacher to your split mind. It must use a language that your split mind can understand in the condition in which your split mind thinks that it is. It must use all of your learning to transfer your illusions to the Truth, taking away all of your false ideas of what you are to lead you beyond them to the Truth that is beyond them. All of this can be simply reduced to:
What is the Same cannot contain differences,
And What is One cannot have separate parts.
2. The Savior from the Dark
1. Isnít it evident that what the bodyís eyes perceive fills you with fear? Maybe you still think there is some hope of satisfaction in the world that you perceive or that you can attain some Peace in it. But it must be evident to you that the outcome of pursuing goals in the world never changes. Your hopes and dreams always result in despair. There is no exception to this and there never will be. The only value that the personal selfís past can hold for you is that you learn that it gave you no rewards that you want to keep. Only then will you be willing to relinquish the world in your mind and have it gone forever.
2. It is strange that you should still cherish some hope of satisfaction in the world that you perceive. In no respect, at any time or place, has anything but guilt and fear been your reward. How long do you need to realize that the chance that this might change is hardly worth your delaying change that must result in a Better Outcome? One thing is sure: The world that you perceive gives no support to your hopes for the future and no suggestion that success is possible at all. To place your hope where there is no hope must make you hopeless. But this hopelessness is your choice while you seek for hope where none can ever be found.
3. It is also true that you have found some hope apart from all of this. Though inconstant, wavering, and dim you have seen glimpses of Something not of the world that you have made that gives you justification for hopefulness. And yet your hope that the world that you perceive will yet satisfy you still prevents you from giving up the hopeless and unrewarding task that you have set for yourself. It makes no sense for you to continue to pursue what has always failed you in the belief that it will suddenly succeed and bring you what it has never brought before.
4. The personal selfís past has failed you. Be glad that it is gone from your mind and can no longer darken What is there. And do not mistake form for content because the world that you perceive is the form that is the means for the content of separation. The purpose of the world is to make separation real to you.
5. When you see bodies you see nothing and you obscure your Christ Mind. Christ is All there really is to see and bodies cannot conceal your Christ Mind. Do you want to see bodies instead of Christ?
6. The Holy Spirit is the Frame that God has set around the part of Godís Mind that you perceive as separate from God. The Holy Spirit is One with you who fills the Frame and with God Which encompasses the Frame. Joining you and God is the Holy Spiritís Purpose. You do not change this by choosing to see bodies instead but you do block your awareness of this when you choose to cherish bodies. The body is the frame that the personal mind has put around separation. Godís Frame will endure Forever, while the personal mindís frame will crumble to dust. But donít think that this will affect you. What is One with God is safe from all corruption, unchanged, and Perfect in Eternity.
7. Accept Godís Frame around all that you perceive and you will see your Christ Mind within It. Look on your Christ Mindís Loveliness and understand the Mind that thought It. Your Christ Mindís Frame is the Holy Spirit, not flesh and bones. The Holy Spirit lights up your Christ Mindís Innocence to reflect It back to God but the body seems to hide your Innocence in the darkness of illusions. Do not think that your Christ Mind was ever gone because you saw death there instead. God has kept your Holiness safe so that you can look on It.
8. Instead of looking on the dark frame of the illusion of the otherís body extend your Christ Mind, your Savior from illusions, to your perception of them and understand your mind as Godís Mind shows it to you. Your Christ Mind emerges from your illusions as you choose to look on Christ and your illusions are gone. Your illusions have not touched your Christ Mind or you. Your Christ Mindís Innocence is yours. Your Christ Mindís Gentleness becomes your Strength and you gladly look within and see the Holiness that must be there because of the Christ that you perceive in place of the otherís body. Your perception of the other becomes the Frame in Which your Holiness is set and What God extends to It is also extended to you. However much the other may seem to not see Christ and only see the dark frame of the body it is still your only function to behold your Christ Mind. In this perception is your Vision, Which looks on your Christ Mind instead of death and is extended to be all that you perceive.
9. God is Glad when you appreciate your Christ Mind. God offers you thanks for loving What is One with God as God loves It. God makes known to you Godís Love when you share Godís Praise of What God loves. In Perfect Wholeness God cherishes What is One with God, so Godís Joy is made complete when you join in Godís Praise to share Godís Joy. See Godís Perfect Oneness in place of the body of the other,and Godís Thanks and Gladness will shine on you who want to complete Godís Joy and yours. You will not see illusions when you make Godís Happiness complete and yours along with Godís. Godís Gratitude is freely offered to you when you share Godís Purpose. It is not Godís Will to be incomplete and it is not your Will, either.
10. Forgive the personal mindís perception of the other and you will not separate your mind from What you perceive or from God. You donít need forgiveness because the Wholly Pure has never sinned. But extend the Love that God extends to you so that you may see that your Mind is One and thank God as God thanks you. Believe that all Godís Praise is given to you. What you extend is Godís and by extending It you learn to understand Godís Gift to you. Give to the Holy Spirit the Love that the Holy Spirit gives to God and to you. Only Godís Will and your Will, Which extends Godís Will, have power over you. God extends God to you so that you can extend God in Oneness with all that you perceive.
11. You and what your mind perceives are the same, just as God is One and not divided. You have One Purpose, Which God gave to your entire mind. Godís Will is brought together as you join your Will with what your mind perceives, so you are made Complete in your awareness by extending Completion to your perception of the other. Do not see sin in the other even if thatís what the other seems to see but honor your Christ Mind instead and esteem your entire mind through your Perception. The power of salvation is given to your entire mind so that you may escape from dark illusions and see that your One Mind has never been split or apart from Godís Love.
3. Perception and Choice
1. You will perceive a world where attack is justified to the extent that you value guilt because you want separation from God to be real. To the extent that you recognize that guilt is meaningless because you cannot be separate from God you will perceive that attack cannot be justified. This is in accord with perceptionís only law that you see what you want to believe is there. Everything that you perceive supports this law. Perceptionís law is an adaptation of Godís Law that Love extends only Itself.
2. Godís Law does not apply directly to the world that you perceive because perception has no meaning in God. But Godís Law is still reflected everywhere in your mind. This does not make the world real at all but you believe that the world is real and you cannot be completely separate from God. God cannot enter your insanity but Godís Sanity is still with you and you cannot be lost forever in your mad wish to be separate from God.
3. Perception rests on choice; Godís Knowledge does not. Knowledge has One Law because God is One. But you have the choice of two makers of your perception - the personal mind and the Holy Spirit - and they do not see your world in the same way. To each maker of your perception the world has a different purpose and to each the world is perceived as the perfect means to serve its goal. For the personal mind the world that you perceive is the perfect frame to set off your specialness, the perfect battleground to play out your conflict, and the perfect shelter for illusions that it wants to make real to you. This is the world that the personal mindís perception upholds and justifies.
4. Simultaneously, the other Maker of your perception, the Holy Spirit, corrects your mad belief that you have established and maintained a world without a Link that still keeps it within the Law of God. In your perception of a world Godís Law is not used as God uses It to uphold Oneness but It is adapted to a form to fit the need that you seem to have in your perception of separation from God. Corrected error undoes error and this is how God protects your Christ Mind even as you seem to live in error.
5. There is another Purpose for the world that your error made because your perception has another Maker Which reconciles the world that you perceive with Godís Purpose. In the Holy Spiritís perception of the world everything justifies your forgiveness and your Vision of Perfect Innocence. You can meet everything that arises with instant and complete forgiveness and nothing will remain to obscure the Innocence Which shines unchanged in your mind. Your Innocence is beyond the pitiful attempts of your specialness to put It out of your mind and to make the body real to you instead. It is not up to your to decide what is real. If you elect to see as real something that can never be real then the Holy Spirit must correct your error so that you do not remain in illusions.
6. You have entered illusions but not without Heavenís Help within you ready to lead you out and into Reality at any time. The time you choose can be any time because your Help is here waiting on your choice. When you choose to avail yourself of the Holy Spiritís Help then you will see every situation that you thought justified your anger turned into an event that justifies your Love. You will plainly hear that the calls to conflict that you used to hear are really your Calls to Peace. You will perceive that where you used to attack you can with equal ease, and far more happiness, bestow forgiveness. And you will reinterpret all temptation to forget that only God is Real as just another chance to remember and bring yourself Joy.
7. Misperception is not a sin. Let the personal mindís perceptions of error be a chance for you to see with the Real Perception of the Holy Spirit. Which perception is justified? Which do you want? These two questions are the same to you and when you see that they are the same your choice is made. Seeing these questions as the same releases you from the belief that there are two ways to see. The world that you perceive presents you with many opportunities to extend your Peace and your own forgiveness. This is its purpose when you want Peace and forgiveness to descend on you.
8. The Holy Spirit, Maker of your Perception of Gentleness, has the Perfect Power to offset the world of violence and hate that seems to stand between you and Gentleness. The Holy Spiritís forgiving mind does not see the world so you do not need to see it. ďSinĒ is your idea that your separation from God is a fact and that therefore you cannot change your perception. What is damned is damned forever and is unforgivable. But if you do forgive your perception of separation from God then what you think of as ďsinĒ must be a mistake and change is possible for you. The Holy Spirit, too, sees What It sees as far beyond the chance of change. But your perception of separation from God cannot encroach on the Holy Spiritís Vision because your perception of separation from God is corrected by the Holy Spiritís Vision. So your separation from God must be an error and not real because what you claimed was ďsinĒ and can never be undone is undone. To punish your separation from God as a ďsinĒ is to preserve it in your mind as reality. But to forgive your perception of a world of separation is to use it for Truth.
9. You are One with God and cannot sin but you can wish for what hurts you and you have the power to think that you can be hurt. This can only be a misperception of yourself. Is this a sin or a mistake? Is it forgivable or not? Do you need help or condemnation? Is it your purpose to save yourself or to damn yourself? Do not forget that the choice that you make for what you perceive you make for yourself. You make this choice now, the instant when all time becomes a means to reach the goal that you choose. Make your choice but recognize that in this choice you choose for yourself the purpose of the world that you perceive and it will be justified.
4. The Light You Bring
1. Your mind is One and when you recognize that this is so you will not feel guilt because there will be nothing to attack. You will rejoice and see your Safety in this Happy Fact. Your Joy will be in the Innocence that you see and you will seek for Innocence because it is your Purpose to behold It and rejoice. You always seek for what will bring you Joy. It is not your aim of Joy that varies but what you believe will bring you Joy makes inevitable your choice of the means to get It, unless you change your mind. Then you will change the means to fit your goal of Joy.
2. Perceptions basic law can be stated: ďYou will rejoice at what you see because you see it to rejoice.Ē While you think that suffering and separation from God will bring you Joy then this is what you will see. What you wish determines what you believe is harmful or beneficial to you because your wish makes it what it is in its effects on you. You choose the means to get the effect that you want because you believe that what you want will bring you Joy. This law also holds in Heaven because you extend God to bring you Joy, just as God extends God to you for Godís Own Joy.
3. You have made a world that is not real but you can take rest and comfort in another Perception Where Peace abides. You can bring this Perception with you to all the weary sights of separation to undo them and to rest. From you can arise a Perception that you will rejoice to see and in Which you will be glad. In you there is a Vision that extends to all of separation and covers it in Gentleness and Love. In this widening Perception of Love the dark illusions that you thought were in your mind will be pushed away until they are far away, not long to be remembered. All your ďevilĒ thoughts and ďsinfulĒ hopes, your illusions of guilt and merciless revenge, and every wish to hurt and kill and die will disappear before the Love that you extend.
4. Do this for the Love of God and of yourself. Think what this will do for you: the ďevilĒ thoughts that haunt you now will seem increasingly remote and far away from you. They will go further and further away because the Love in you will replace them. They will linger for a while in twisted forms too far away for you to recognize and then they will be gone forever. In Love you will stand in Quiet and in Innocence, wholly unafraid. The rest that you will find will extend from you so that your Peace will never fall away or leave you homeless. When you offer Peace to all that you perceive you will find a Home in Heaven that the personal mindís world cannot destroy because Heaven is large enough to encompass all that your mind perceives in Its Peace.
5. In you is All of Heaven. Every leaf that falls is given life in you, every bird that ever sang will sing again in you, and every flower that ever bloomed has saved its perfume and its loveliness for you. You can have no goal before Godís Will and your Will that Heaven be restored to you to whom God extends Heaven as your only Home. Nothing can come before Heaven or after It. There is no other place, no other state, no other time, nothing beyond, nothing closer Ė nothing else in any form. You can extend your Perception of Heaven everywhere to correct the mistaken thoughts that have entered your mind. In no better way can your own mistakes be corrected by Truth than by your willingness to bring the Love of Heaven with you as you walk through the world of illusions and beyond it to Truth.
5. The State of Sinlessness
1. The State of Innocence is merely this: You have no desire to be separate from God so there is no reason to attack your Mind and perceive It as other than It is. Guilt has no purpose and is meaningless without your goal of separation. Your desire for separation from God, attack, and your belief in sin are bound together in one illusion, each the cause and aim and justifier of the other. Each depends on the others for whatever sense it seems to have and if you believe in one you believe that the others are true because each attests that the others are true.
2. Your desire for separation from God is your ďattackĒ on God and it seems to make your Christ Mind and God your ďenemiesĒ. You must be afraid with ďenemiesĒ like this. And you are afraid of yourself because you have hurt yourself by making your True Self your enemy. You must believe that you are not you, that you are an alien; ďsomething elseĒ to be feared instead of loved. You would not attack yourself if you perceived your Total Innocence and because you wish to attack, though you want Innocence, you must perceive yourself as guilty for this wish. So you project your own guilt onto the ďsomething elseĒ, your Christ Mind, so you can justify wanting It dead. Yet each time you look on your Holy relationship your Christ Mind is there. Your Christ Mind is not gone because you deny It. There is nothing to see when you perceive the other through your denial of your True Vision.
3. It is not your Christ Mind that you see when you deny your True Vision. It is the ďenemyĒ that you have made of your Christ Mind and believe is real and that you hate because there is really no ďsinĒ in Christ. Nor do you hear in the personal mindís perception of the other in your Holy relationship, in whatever form it takes, your own plaintive call to unite your mind in Innocence and Peace. Yet beneath the senseless shrieks of the personal mind is your own call, which God wants you to hear so that you will hear Godís Call to you and answer by returning to God your mind, which belongs to God.
4. Your Christ Mind asks only this of you: that you extend Christ in your perception of the other in your Holy relationship so that you may be aware of the Christ Mind in you. In the isolation of the personal mind you cannot be aware of your Christ Mind so It is useless to you. But extend your Christ Mind in your perception of the other and you will have the Strength to save your entire mind. Forgive the other your projections of the personal mind onto them and in them you will perceive your Savior. But condemn them through the personal mindís projections and they will seem to offer you death. In everyone you see the reflection of what you choose to have them be to you. If you decide against their proper function of being there for you to forgive the personal mindís projections, which is the only function that they have in Truth, you deprive yourself of the awareness of Joy that you can have in their place. But donít think that Heaven is lost to you. You can regain Heaven by extending Heaven to your relationship so that you may find It.
5. It is not a sacrifice for you to see your salvation in your perception of the other because in the Freedom that you extend to them you gain your own. To let the otherís function be fulfilled is to fulfill your Function. This is how you walk toward Heaven or toward hell through your mindís perceptions. How beautiful Innocence will be to you when you perceive It in place of the personal mindís perceptions of separation. How great will be your Joy when you free your perception of the other from the personal mindís projections and you extend your Vision of Christ instead, as God wants it to be. Your relationship has no need but that you allow it to complete the function that God has for it. Remember this: that as you perceive the other you perceive yourself. And you define the function that your perception of the other will have for you: to make separation from God real to you or to forgive your perception of separation from God.
6. In the hatred that you may still cherish toward yourself you believe God to be without the power to save you, who are One with God, from the pain of hell. But in the Love that you show yourself Godís Will is made free. In your perception of the other you see the picture of your own belief in what the Will of God must be for you. In your forgiving the personal mindís projections you will understand Godís Love for you. Through your attack on the other you believe God must hate you and that Heaven must be hell. Look on your perception of the other with the understanding that your perception of them is the way to Heaven or to hell for you. Donít forget that the role that you perceive in the other is given to you and you will walk the way that you project or that you extend to your perception of them because it is your judgment on yourself.
6. The Special Function
1. Godís Grace rests gently on your forgiving mind and everything that it perceives brings God to your awareness. From forgiveness you do not see evil, anything in your perception to fear, or anything that is different from you. As you love what you see you look on yourself with Love and Gentleness. You do not condemn yourself for your mistakes any more than you can damn another in your perception of a world. You are not an arbiter of vengeance, nor a punisher of sin. The Kindness of your Vision rests on yourself with the Tenderness that It extends to all that you perceive because you only heal and bless. Being in accord with What God wills, in your forgiving you have the Power to heal and bless all that you look on with the Grace of God in your perception.
2. You have become used to illusions and the Clarity of Truth seems painful to you because you are used to arbitrarily supplying your own meaning. You turn away from Truth because Its stark Clarity makes you aware that your illusions are illusions. Illusions seem better to you because their meaning is ambiguous and supplied by you. But this is not what your mind is for and you cannot say that you prefer illusions and maintain that you want the Truth.
3. Your wish to be aware of Truth calls on Godís Grace and brings you the Gift of Love that makes True Vision possible. Do you want to see your Christ Mind? God is Glad to have you look on your Christ Mind in place of the personal mindís projections on the other in your Holy relationship. God does not will that your Christ Mind be unrecognized by you, nor does God will that the other be without the function that God has given to them to be here for you to forgive the personal mindís projections. Do not let the other remain separate from you or without a function or you leave part of your mind outside of you.
4. This is the Holy Spiritís Kind Perception of specialness, the healing use that the Holy Spirit makes of what you made to harm: You have a special function Ė forgiveness - that you alone can fulfill. The Holy Spiritís plan is not complete until you find your special function and fulfill it, bringing your Completion to your awareness in a world in your mind where incompletion rules.
5. In the world that you perceive, where Godís Law of Oneness does not prevail in perfect form, you can do one perfect thing and make one perfect choice. By this special act of extending your Christ Mind to your perception of another who seemed separate from you, you increase your awareness of your Christ Mind and you learn that your mind must be One. Forgiving your illusion of separation is the only meaningful function for you in time. It is the means that the Holy Spirit uses to translate your specialness from ďsinĒ into salvation. Your forgiveness is for everything that you perceive in your mind as a world. When your forgiveness of separation rests on the entire world it is complete and the only real function the world has for you is completed with it. Then time is gone for you. But while you perceive yourself in time there is much forgiving for you to do and you must do what is allotted to you to do because the whole plan depends on your part. You have a special part in time because you chose to have one. Your wish is not denied but changed in form to serve your Whole Mind and become a means to save you instead of for you to lose.
6. Salvation is nothing more for you than a reminder that the world that you perceive is not your home. Its laws are not imposed on you and its values are not yours. You will see this and understand it as you take your place in undoing the world that you made. As always, you have the means for making separation or for undoing it. From the very instant that you made specialness to hurt yourself God appointed it to be the means for your salvation. Your special ďsinĒ became your opportunity for your special Grace. Your special hate became your means for extending Godís Love.
7. The Holy Spirit needs your special function so that Its Function can be fulfilled. Do not think that you lack a special value in the world that you perceive. You wanted it and it is given to you. All that you have made can serve your salvation easily and well. You cannot make a choice that the Holy Spirit cannot use on behalf of the Truth in you. Only in illusions does your specialness appear to be an attack on the Truth in you. In the Light of Truth you can see your special function in the plan to save your Mind from all attack and you can understand that you are safe, as you have always been, in time and in Eternity. Forgiving is the function given to you to extend to all that you perceive. Extend it gently to be all that you perceive and let salvation be perfectly fulfilled in your mind. Do this one thing that Everything be given to you.
7. The Rock of Salvation
1. Since the Holy Spirit can translate everything that you made to make separation real to you into a blessing then what you made cannot be ďsinĒ. ďSinĒ is the idea that separation from God cannot be changed and that the world is real. The ďmagicĒ of the world that you perceive can seem to hide the pain of sin and deceive you with glitter and with guile but you know that the cost of separation from God is death. Your belief that separation from God is real is your request for death, a wish to make a world as sure as Love, as dependable as Heaven, and as strong as God. The world that you perceive is safe from Love when you think that separation from God is sin and unchangeable. But it is not possible that what cannot be One with God and that opposes God in every way is like God.
2. It cannot be that your ďsinnerísĒ wish for death is just as strong as Godís Will for Life. Nor can a world that God did not make be as Firm and Sure as Heaven. Heaven and hell cannot be the same. It must be possible that what God did not will can be changed. Only Godís Will is Unchanging and only Godís Will can share attributes with Godís Will. No wish can rise against Godís Will and be unchanging. When you realize that only Godís Will is Unchanging this course will not be difficult for you. You do not believe this yet but there is nothing else that you could believe if you looked at Godís Will as It really is.
3. Look more carefully at what was said earlier in this course: Either God is insane or the world that you perceive is insane. No Thought of God makes any sense in the world that you perceive and nothing that the world believes is true has any meaning in Godís Mind at all. What makes no sense and has no meaning is insanity and insanity cannot be Truth. If one belief that the world that you perceive values is true then every Thought of God is an illusion. But if One Thought of God is True then all beliefs in the world that you perceive are illusion. The choice of which is insane, and is therefore unreal to you, is the choice that you make for yourself. Do not attempt to see this differently or to twist it into something else. This is the only choice that you can make; the rest is up to God.
4. To justify one value that the world that you perceive upholds is to deny Godís Sanity and yours. Godís Mind and your Christ Mind do not think differently. This is what makes your Christ Mind capable of extending Godís Mind, Which extends Itself to your Christ Mind. But if you choose to believe one thought that is opposed to Truth then you are deciding that you are not Christ and that your Christ Mind and God must be insane. Do not think that this belief depends on the form that it takes. When you think that the world is sane in any way, is justified in any of its beliefs, or is maintained by any form of reason then you believe God is insane. But ďsinĒ is not real because God and your Christ Mind are not insane. The world that you perceive is meaningless because it rests on ďsinĒ. Only the Changeless can rest on Truth.
5. The Holy Spirit has the Power to change the whole foundation of what you perceive to one that is not insane. Your True Perception has nothing in It to contradict Sanity and Joy. Nothing in It attests to death or cruelty or separation or differences. In your True Perception you perceive everything as One and there is no loss for you to perceive, only increase in your Peace.
6. Test everything that you see by whether you perceive loss or increase in your Peace and understand that only Perception that meets the one demand that it increase your Peace is worthy of your faith. What is not Love is your belief that separation from God is real, is ďsinĒ, and Love and sin perceive each other as insane and meaningless. If you are a ďsinnerĒ than you believe that your perception of Love is wholly mad because sin is the way to sanity. But sin is equally insane to Love and Love looks gently beyond insanity to rest Peacefully on Truth. Both Love and sin see their perception as unchangeable as each oneís perception defines for them the changeless and eternal truth of what you are. To make their viewpoint meaningful and sane, each reflects the view of what God and you must be.
7. Your special function of forgiving takes a special form in which the fact that God is not insane appears most sensible and meaningful to you. The content is unchanged by the form, which is suited to your special needs, to the special time and place in which you think you are, and can free you of time and place and all that you believe must limit you. Your Christ Mind is not bound by time or place or anything that God did not will. But if you see Godís Will as insanity then the form of Sanity Which makes It most acceptable to you requires special choice. This choice cannot be made by you in your insanity because then your choice is not free and made with your True Reasoning Mind.
8. It would be insane for God to entrust your salvation to you in your insanity. Because God is not insane God has appointed the Holy Spirit to raise True Perception in you who chose insanity as salvation. The Holy Spirit chooses the form of True Perception most suitable to you, one which will not attack the world that you made but enter into your mind in Quietness to show you that you are not insane. The Holy Spirit points to another way of looking at the world where you think that you live and that you think that you recognize and understand.
9. Now you will question what you thought you recognized and understood before because this new Perception is one which you cannot deny, or overlook, or fail completely to accept. Your special function of forgiving is designed to be perceived as possible by you and more and more desired by you as it proves to you to be what you really want. From this position your perception of separation from God, and from all that you perceive, offers you less and less until you understand that it has cost you your Sanity. No part of your perception will be left in insanity because your special part in the plan releases your entire mind. You can no more leave out any perception in your mind from your special function than God can overlook your Christ Mind in careless thoughtlessness.
10. Only Godís Love is Dependable and your Sanity abides only in God. The Holy Spirit can show you this in the new Perception chosen especially for you. It is Godís Will that you remember this and emerge from deepest mourning to Perfect Joy. Accept the function that has been assigned to you in Godís Own Plan to show you that hell and Heaven are different. In Heaven you and God are the Same, without the differences that would make Heaven into hell, and which seem in an impossible insanity to make a hell of Heaven.
11. Your whole belief that loss is possible reflects the underlying tenet of the personal mind that God is insane. In the world that you perceive it does seem that one must gain because another lost. If this were Truth then God would indeed be insane! This belief is a form of the personal mindís basic tenet that separation from God is real and sin rules the world. In the world that you perceive you believe that for every little gain that you have someone else must lose and pay exact amount in blood and suffering because otherwise evil will triumph and your destruction will be the total cost of any gain. You who believe that God is insane look at this carefully and understand that either God or this is insane, but not both.
12. Your salvation is rebirth of the idea in your mind that there is no loss of any kind in Truth because Mind is One. For you to gain you must perceive the Truth that you want to gain everywhere. This is how your Sanity is restored. Your faith in Godís Eternal Sanity rests in Perfect Confidence and Perfect Peace on the Truth of One Mind. Your True Reasoning Mind is satisfied because all of your insane beliefs are corrected in One Mind and sin is impossible because One Mind is Truth. One Mind is the Truth on which your salvation rests, the vantage point from which the Holy Spirit gives meaning and direction to the plan in which your special function has a part. Here your special function is made whole because it shares the function of Wholeness.
13. Remember that all temptation to believe that your separation from God is real is this: your mad belief that God needs to be insane for you to be sane and have what you want; that either God or you must lose to insanity because your aims cannot be reconciled. Death demands Life but Life is not maintained at any cost. Suffering of any kind is against the Will of God and salvation is Godís Will because it is yours. Salvation is not for you in your identification with a personal self, but for the Self that is in you and that is in all that you perceive. Your Self cannot lose because if It could the loss would be Godís and no loss is possible in God. This is Sane because It is the Truth.
8. Justice Returned to Love
1. The Holy Spirit can use for your salvation all that you give to the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit cannot use what you hold back because the Holy Spirit can only take what you give willingly. Otherwise you will believe that the Holy Spirit is wresting things from you against your will and you will not learn that it is your True Will to be without them. You do not need to give everything to the Holy Spirit wholly willingly because if you could do this you would not need the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit needs you to prefer that the Holy Spirit take it than that you keep it for the personal mind to use and that you recognize that you do not want what results in you perceiving separation anywhere. This much and nothing more is necessary to reinforce in you the idea that your perceiving separation anywhere will never result in gain for you.
2. This is the only principle that you need for salvation. It is not necessary that your faith in it be strong, unswerving, and without attack from all beliefs opposed to it because if this was the case you wouldnít need salvation. You are not expected to have a fixed allegiance yet. While you are still divided against yourself you are not asked to do what you still find impossible. Wisdom can not be found in such a state of mind. Be thankful that only a little faith is asked of you because only a little faith is left to you who believe that your separation from God is real and who does not yet remember Heaven and the Justice of Oneness of the saved.
3. There is a Justice in salvation about which the world that you perceive knows nothing. In the world, justice and vengeance are the same because when you perceive yourself as a ďsinnerĒ you equate justice with punishment, maybe to be endured by someone else, but never escaped. The personal mindís ďlawsĒ of sin demand a victim and it makes little difference to the personal mind who it is. Death is the cost of sin and it must be paid. But this is not justice; this is insanity. But of course you define justice insanely where Love means hate and you see death as triumph over Eternity and Life.
4. You who do not yet know of the Justice of Oneness can still ask about It and learn the Answer. The Justice of Oneness sees the Wholeness of your True Mind everywhere instead of some separation and some Wholeness. Your perception of separation, in whatever form it takes, is a form of vengeance on yourself. The Justice of Oneness, unlike justice in the world that you perceive, does not demand sacrifice of any kind because sacrifice preserves the idea that separation from God is real. Sacrifice from you is a payment that the personal mind demands that you make for the cost of making separation from God real to you but it is not the total payment. The rest of the payment is taken from another who seems separate from your mind in the world that you perceive to make up for the part of the payment that you want to hold back and not give up. So you see yourself as partly a victim with someone else more of a victim. In the total cost yours is less because the otherís is greater. The worldís justice, being blind, is satisfied being paid, it doesnít matter by whom.
5. This cannot be the Justice of Oneness because God does not know of separation or sacrifice. But God knows the Justice of Oneness well. God is Wholly Fair to all that you perceive and vengeance is alien to Godís Mind because God knows the Justice of Oneness. To be Truly Just is to be Fair, not vengeful. Vengeance can never be Fair because vengeance and Fairness contradict each other and each denies that the other is real. It is impossible for you to extend the Holy Spiritís Justice of Oneness with a mind that can conceive of specialness. But the Holy Spirit would not be Just if It condemned you for crimes that you think you did but that you did not really do. And it would not be Justice for the Holy Spirit to demand that you lay aside your obsession with punishment without helping you to perceive that punishment is never called for.
6. While you still believe that your separation from God is real it is extremely hard for you to understand the Holy Spiritís Justice of Oneness. You believe that the Holy Spirit shares your own confusion about what justice is, so you can not avoid the vengeance that your own belief in justice entails. You fear the Holy Spirit because of the ďwrathĒ of God that you believe is in the Holy Spirit. You canít trust that the Holy Spirit will not strike you dead. You do believe that Heaven is hell and you are afraid of Love. Deep suspicion and the chill of fear come over you when you are told that you have never ďsinnedĒ. Your world depends on separation from God being real and you perceive Godís Justice of Oneness as a ďthreatĒ that is more destructive to you and your world than vengeance, which you understand and love.
7. The loss of ďsinĒ becomes a curse to you when you believe that separation from God is real. You flee the Holy Spirit, which you see as a messenger from hell disguised as a Deliverer and Friend but sent from Heaven in treachery and guile to work vengeance on you. The Holy Spirit seems like a devil in angelís cloak to you. The Holy Spiritís Escape for you is a door to hell that only looks like Heavenís Gate.
8. But the Justice of Oneness cannot punish you who ask for punishment but whom the Holy Spirit as True Judge knows is Wholly Innocent in Truth. In the Justice of Oneness the Holy Spirit is bound to set you free and to give you all the honor that you deserve but have denied in yourself because in your identification with a personal self you are not fair and you do not understand that you are Innocent. In your perception of yourself as a ďsinnerĒ you do not understand Love because you think that justice is split off from Love and stands for something else. You perceive Love as weak and vengeance as strong because you see Love as lost without justice and too weak to save you from punishment. But vengeance is strong for being separate from Love, so only vengeance can help and save you while Love stands helplessly by, without justice and vitality and powerless to save you.
9. What can Love ask of you who think that all of this is true? In Love and Justice the Holy Spirit cannot believe that in your confusion you have much to give. You are not asked to trust the Holy Spirit far. The Holy Spirit offers only what you are willing to see and what you recognize that you cannot give to yourself. In Godís Own Justice the Holy Spirit recognizes All that you deserve but the Holy Spirit understands that you cannot accept it All for yourself yet. It is the Holy Spiritís Function to hold out to you the Gifts that the Innocent deserve. And every Gift that you accept brings Joy to the Holy Spirit as well as to you. The Holy Spirit knows that Heaven is made richer by every Gift that you accept and God rejoices that you receive What Loving Justice knows is your due. Love and the Justice of Oneness are not different. God is Merciful because They are the same and God gives you the Power to forgive yourself your perception of separation from God.
10. Nothing can be kept from you who merit Everything True. That would be injustice and unfair indeed to the Holiness in you, even though you do not recognize It. God does not know the injustice of separation and will not allow your Christ Mind to be judged by the personal mind, which seeks your Christ Mindís death and does not see your Christ Mindís Worth at all. What honest witnesses can the personal mind call on to speak for your Christ Mind that would plead for your Christ Mind and not against It? No justice can be given the Christ in you by the personal mind. But God ensures that the Justice of Oneness will be done to you whom God loves and God will protect you from all the unfairness that you seek in your belief that vengeance is your proper due.
11. Just as specialness does not care where you perceive that the cost of sin is paid as long as it is paid somewhere in the world that you perceive, the Holy Spirit does not care where you see Innocence as long as you see It and recognize It. Your witnessing to Innocence in your perception of one other is enough; the Justice of Oneness does not ask for more. As you look on your perceptions of others in the world that you perceive the Holy Spirit will ask you if each will be the one that you replace with an extension of Innocence so that the Justice of Oneness will be returned to Love and be satisfied. The special function that the Holy Spirit allots to you is that you learn that Love and the Justice of Oneness are not separate and Both are strengthened by the Other. Without Love justice is weak and prejudiced toward separation and Love without the Justice of Oneness is impossible. Love is Fair and cannot chasten without cause and what cause can warrant an attack anywhere in the Innocence of your Perception? In the Justice of Oneness, not in vengeance, Love corrects your mistaken perception of separation from God. Vengeance would be unjust to your Innocence.
12. You can be a perfect witness to the Power of Love and the Justice of Oneness if you understand that it is impossible that anything that you perceive merits vengeance. You do not need to perceive that this is true in every circumstance, nor do you need to look to your experiences within the world that you perceive, which are only shadows of all that is really happening within your mind. The understanding that you need comes from your True Self, Which is so Great and Holy that It does not doubt Its Innocence. Your special function is to call to your True Self so that It may smile on you who shares Its Innocence. Your True Selfís understanding will be yours and the Holy Spiritís Function will be fulfilled. You have found in your True Self a Witness to your Innocence instead of to sin. You need give little to the Holy Spirit so that the Justice of Oneness can be given to you.
13. The Justice of Oneness is Impartial and It extends Oneness to all that you perceive. Your specialness cannot be just. You cannot judge the world that you perceive with a personal mind, not because in your identification with a personal mind you are a miserable sinner, but because a personal mind doesnít know the Truth. In specialness you cannot know that the Justice of Oneness sees your entire mind as One. To judge others is to make the personal mind and separation real to you, which is an injustice to your entire mind since the Holy Spirit sees your entire mind as One. God extends Oneness to your entire mind. To see yourself as having more or less than anyone in the world that you perceive is to identify with a limited personal mind and to not know that you have Everything. You will think that you are deprived and not know that you, and all that your mind perceives, deserves Love. In its sense of deprivation the personal mind is envious of others and it tries to bolster itself by judging others. The personal mind is not impartial and in your identification with it you cannot fairly perceive Love because you have made your Right to Love obscure to you.
14. You have a Right to Oneness, to Perfect Peace, to complete deliverance from all the effects of your belief that your perception of separation from God is sin, and to the Eternal, Joyous, and Complete Life that God extends to you. This is the Justice of Heaven and all that the Holy Spirit brings to your perception. Your special function of forgiving shows you only that Perfect Justice can prevail for you. You are safe from vengeance in all its forms. You may seem to deceive yourself with a world but you cannot replace Godís Justice of Oneness with a version of your own. Only Love is Just and can perceive the Love that the Justice of Oneness extends to you. Let Love decide what is Just for you and never fear that in your unfairness to yourself through your identification with a personal self that you will deprive yourself of the Love that Godís Justice of Oneness has allotted to you.
9. The Justice of Heaven
1. It can only be the arrogance of the personal mind to think that your little errors of separation cannot be undone by Heavenís Justice of Oneness. If this were true it would mean that your errors are ďsinsĒ, not mistakes; forever uncorrectable and due vengeance, not Justice. Are you willing to be released from all of the effects of your belief that separation from God is real? You cannot answer this until you see all that your answer must entail. If you answer ďyesĒ it means that you will give up all of the values of the world that you perceive in favor of the Peace of Heaven. You will not be able to retain even one form of separation from God or to keep one doubt that this is possible to hold your belief in sin in place. Truth will have greater value to you than illusions. And you will recognize that Truth must be revealed to you because you do not know What It is.
2. What you extend you receive, so when you reluctantly extend Love you do not gain from it because you are reluctant to receive Love. Your Gifts of Love are saved for you until your reluctance to receive them disappear and you are willing to accept them. Godís Justice of Oneness warrants your gratitude, not your fear. Nothing that you truly extend is lost to you but It is cherished and preserved in Heaven Where your Treasure of Love is preserved for you and offered to you whenever you are willing to receive It. Your Treasure is not lessened as you extend Gifts from It but each Gift you extend adds to your awareness that you have It. God is Fair and does not fight against your reluctance to perceive salvation as a Gift from God. But Godís Justice of Oneness will only be satisfied when It has been extended to be all that you perceive.
3. Be certain that any answer that the Holy Spirit gives to you for any problem will always be one in which you do not perceive separation of any kind. This must be true because the Holy Spirit does not ask for sacrifice. Since all of your problems are perceptions of separation an answer that demands any perception of separation anywhere has not resolved your problem but has added to it, made it greater, harder to solve, and made it more unfair to you. It is impossible for the Holy Spirit to see separation as a solution. To the Holy Spirit what is unfair to you must be corrected because it is unfair. And your every error is a perception of unfairness where you do not offer the Justice of Oneness to be all that you perceive. When you perceive separation anywhere you see your condemnation as real and punishment, not the Justice of Oneness, becomes what you think is your due.
4. Your Vision of Innocence makes your punishment impossible and the Justice of Oneness sure. The Holy Spiritís Perception leaves no ground for attack. Only separation justifies attack and the Holy Spirit cannot see separation. In the world that you perceive you solve problems by deciding who shall win and who shall lose; how much one should take and how much the other must still defend. Your problem of separation remains unresolved because only the Justice of Oneness can see a State Where there is no loser, no unfairness, and no deprivation to justify vengeance. Vengeance cannot solve problems because at best it adds another problem of separation to the first one in which your intended murder of God was not so obvious.
5. The Holy Spiritís problem solving is the way in which any of your problems of separation end. All is solved because it meets with the Justice of Oneness. Until it does your problem of separation will recur because it has not been solved. The principle that the Justice of Oneness means you can have no perception of separation is crucial to this course because your experience of miracles depends on the Justice of Oneness. True Justice is not as justice is in the world of separation that you perceive but as God knows Oneness and this Knowledge is reflected in the Vision that the Holy Spirit extends to you.
6. No part of your mind deserves separation and any perception of separation that you have is unjust to your mindís Wholeness and this cannot occur. Healing is for your entire mind because your mind does not merit attack of any kind. One miracle is not harder than another because it is not the Justice of Innocence that only some perceptions in your mind deserve Love. A miracle is the Justice of Oneness, not a special gift to be extended to some or your perceptions and withheld from others because the personal mindís judgment is they are less ďworthyĒ of healing. The purpose of salvation is the end of specialness so how can some of your mind be separate from salvation? Salvation is not the Justice of Oneness if some of your errors are unforgivable and warrant vengeance in place of healing and the return of Peace.
7. Your salvation is not salvation if it helps you to be more unfair to yourself than you have sought to be. If the Holy Spiritís Gift of miracles was extended only to your perception of a select group of special others in the world that you perceive and was kept apart from your perception of others that the personal mind judges ďless deservingĒ then the Holy Spirit would be making separation and specialness real to you. But the separation that the Holy Spirit cannot perceive the Holy Spirit cannot witness to. Every perception that your mind has is equally entitled to the Holy Spiritís Gift of healing, deliverance, and Peace. All of your problems are problems of perceiving yourself separate from your perceptions and from God. When you give any problem to the Holy Spirit to be resolved it means that you want your perception of separation to be resolved. To keep a problem to the personal mind is to decide that you want your separation perception of to remain unsettled and unresolved and that you want its injustice and attack on you to last. But you cannot perceive the injustice of separation unless you first decide to be unjust to yourself by identifying with a personal self. Then problems will arise to block your way and your Peace will be scattered by the winds of Self-hate.
8. Until you realize that everything in your perception has a right to miracles you will not claim your right to experience miracles because you will have been unjust to yourself. What you deny in your perception you deny to yourself. You will not receive the experience of the miracle when you deny it to any part of your mind. Only your forgiving your perception of separation offers you the experience of miracles and, in the Justice of Oneness, your pardon of separation must be extended to be all that you perceive.
9. The little problems that you keep to the personal mind and do not let the Holy Spirit remove from you are your secret beliefs that separation from God is real. They grow and cover everything that you perceive, leaving you unfair to yourself because you do not believe that you have a Right to Peace and Love. In your bitterness for your perceived lack your vengeance seems to be justified, mercy seems to be lost to you, and you feel condemned as unworthy of forgiveness. Believing that you are not forgiven you are unable to extend forgiveness to be all that you perceive. That is why your sole responsibility is to accept for yourself forgiveness of your perception that you are separate from God.
10. The miracle that you receive you extend. Each miracle that you experience is an illustration of the Law on Which salvation rests: The Justice of Oneness must be extended to be all that you perceive for your mind to be wholly healed. No part of your mind can be excluded and your entire mind must benefit. Each miracle you experience is an example of what the Justice of Oneness can accomplish when It is extended to be your perception without exception. You receive and extend the miracle equally in the awareness that what you extend you receive. Because in the miracle you do not make What is the Same unlike Itself you do not see differences where none exists. A miracle is the same everywhere in your Perception because you see no separation. Your experience of the miracle offers you Oneness and it teaches you one message:
Godís Love belongs to your entire mind, which does deserve Godís Love.
 This is figurative, not literal. There is no form in Godís Oneness.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|