|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 26: The Transition
1. The “Sacrifice” of Oneness
1. You are One with God and with the part of your mind that you have projected outward and see as a world and your perception of separation from them is an attack on yourself. In the “dynamics” of attack sacrifice is a key idea. It is the pivot on which all of your compromises that try to make some illusions into Reality, all of your desperate attempts to strike a bargain to make some separation into Oneness, and all of your conflicts achieve some balance. Sacrifice is the symbol of your split mind’s central theme that something must lose for it to be maintained. In the world that you perceive it is apparent that you focus your separation on a body, which is always your attempt to limit loss. The body is itself your sacrifice; your giving up of True Power to keep a little power for yourself in the isolation of a personal self. Your perception of other bodies is the expression of your wish to make separation real and to sacrifice Oneness. Look at the world that you made and you see nothing attached to anything beyond itself. All seemingly separate entities can move nearer or further from other entities but they cannot be One.
2. The world that you perceive is based on your “sacrifice” of the Oneness of your Mind. It is a picture of separation and disunity. Each individual person and thing in the world seems to be a solid, defined form where what is inside can not reach out and what is outside cannot join with what is within. Each individual person and thing must “sacrifice” everything else outside of itself to keep itself complete because if it joined with something else each would lose its own “identity”. In the world that you perceive identities are maintained by separation.
3. The little part of your mind that the body fences off is your “self” and it is preserved through giving up all of the rest of your mind that is perceived as a world outside of you. And the rest of your mind must lose the little part of it that you have given to a body and remain incomplete to retain your perception of its identity. In this perception your think that losing the body would be a total sacrifice because the body is meant to limit your sacrifice by holding back some of your mind for a personal self. For this little to belong to you, you must place limits on your perception of everything outside of the body, just as you limited yourself to a body. This is because you cannot escape the Law of Mind that what you project or extend is always your perception of yourself. To accept the limits of the body for yourself is to impose limits on everything that you see since you must see everything as you see yourself.
4. The body is a loss and it can be made to sacrifice. While you see any body as real you are demanding sacrifice of your entire mind. There is no greater sacrifice that you can demand than that What is One with God be without God and that God be without Part of Itself. Your every sacrifice demands that God and Part of God be without the other. You deny God and you ask for sacrifice when you see any body as real. No matter how much your Christ Mind Witnesses to the Truth of God’s Oneness there is no Witness to the Wholeness of your Christ Mind in your world of separate bodies. Your Christ Mind is invisible in the world that you perceive and you cannot perceive the Oneness and Love of your Christ Mind there at all. But it is given to your Christ Mind to make the world recede before It so that the Vision of your Christ Mind can replace what the body’s eyes see.
5. In your choice to perceive the Witnesses to Truth instead of the witnesses to illusions you ask to see a purpose in the world of separation that makes it meaningful for you. The world has no meaning for you outside of your special function of forgiving. With your function your perception becomes a Treasure House as rich and Limitless as Heaven. Every instant you can choose to see Holiness in your perception of another in the world to add a Limitless supply of Happiness to every meager scrap of Happiness that you allot yourself.
6. You can lose sight of Oneness but you cannot make a sacrifice of Its Reality. You cannot lose Oneness, nor can you keep the Holy Spirit from showing you that It has not been lost. Let the world recede and take rest by seeing a Witness to Peace in your Holy relationship. If you judge the other as the personal mind does you will not free yourself or see the Witness to Christ and rejoice. Do not sacrifice your Perception of Holiness to your belief that separation from God is real and a “sin”. You sacrifice your Innocence by refusing to see It in place of the personal mind’s perceptions and you die each time you make separation from God real to you by seeing “sin”.
7. Every instant you can be reborn to an awareness of Life again. Your awareness of the Holiness of your relationship with the other brings Life to your awareness and with it you will realize that you cannot die because you see Innocence that is known to God. You can no more sacrifice your Innocence than the Love in you can be blotted out because others in the world that you perceive cannot see it. You want to sacrifice Life and make eyes and ears to witness to the death of God and your Christ Mind but do not think that you have the power to make of God and your Christ Mind what God has not willed. In Heaven you are not imprisoned in a body or sacrificed in a separate identity to “sin”. As you are in Heaven you are Eternally and Everywhere; you are the same Forever. You are born again each Holy Instant, untouched by time, and far beyond the reach of any sacrifice. You have not made Life, nor have you made death real, and only Life has been given to you by God, Which knows Its Gifts can never suffer sacrifice or loss.
8. God’s Justice of Oneness rests in Gentleness upon your Christ Mind and keeps It Safe from all the injustice of separation that the world that you perceive wants to lay upon you. It can not be that you can make separation from God reality and sacrifice God’s Will for you. Do not condemn yourself by seeing a world of bodies as real. In your special function of forgiving you extend your Christ Mind to replace the personal mind’s projections so that your Christ Mind can give you the Gift of Freedom by receiving It from you. The Holy Spirit’s Function is to release your Christ Mind from the prison you’ve made to keep yourself apart from the Justice of Oneness. Your function is not separate from the Holy Spirit’s.
2. Many Forms; One Correction
1. It is difficult to understand why you do not ask the Holy Spirit to solve all problems for you. The Holy Spirit does not have greater difficulty solving some problems over others because all of your problems are a form of separation from God and each problem is solved by correcting your perception that separation is real. That your perception of separation from God is what needs to be solved does not change, no matter what form is takes. Separation will appear to you in many forms while the problem of your perception of separation lasts. It serves no purpose to try to solve it in a special form. Your perception of separation will recur again and again until it has been corrected for all time, then it will not occur again in any form. Only then will you be released from it.
2. The Holy Spirit offers you release from every problem that you think you have. They are all the same to the Holy Spirit because, no matter what form they take, they are projections of suffering and sacrifice from your mind onto the world that you perceive. The personal mind seems to gain by these problems because they reinforce the separation in your mind. But when the Holy Spirit works out the situation by showing you that separation from God has not occurred and loss of any kind is not real, then your perception is corrected. One mistake is not more difficult than another for the Holy Spirit to bring to Truth because there is only one mistake: your whole idea that loss is possible for you and can result in gain anywhere in your perception. If this was true God would be unfair, separation from God would be an uncorrectable sin, attack would be justified, and vengeance would be fair.
3. This one mistake, in any form, has one correction: your recognition that you are not separate from God so there is no loss. For you to think loss is possible is only a mistake. You don’t have any problems, though you think that you do. But you will not think so as you watch them vanish one by one without regard to size, complexity, place, time, or any attribute that makes you think one problem is different from the others. The limits that you impose on what you are willing to perceive cannot limit God in any way.
4. The miracle of the Justice of Oneness can correct all of your errors because every problem that you perceive is the error of perceiving yourself separate from God. Every problem represents the injustice of your seeming separation from your Christ Mind and is therefore not true. The Holy Spirit does not judge forms of separation as great or small, or more or less. They have no properties to the Holy Spirit. They are mistaken beliefs in separation from which you who are One with God are needlessly suffering, so the Holy Spirit takes them away. The Holy Spirit does not pause to judge whether your pain is large or little but It makes the only judgment that what hurts you must be unfair to you and therefore cannot be real.
5. You believe it is safe to give only some of your mistakes to the Holy Spirit to be corrected and to keep some for the personal mind but remember this: The Justice of Oneness is Total because there is no such thing as partial justice. If you perceive guilt anywhere then condemnation is real to you and you think God’s mercy is not deserved anywhere. But do not ask God to send punishment because you see guilt and want punishment to be real. God offers you the Means to see Innocence. It is not fair to make punishment real to yourself because you choose to not perceive Innocence. Each time you keep a problem to solve with the personal mind or you judge that a problem has no resolution you have made it past your hope of healing and you deny that the miracle of the Justice of Oneness can be fairly applied to everything that you perceive.
6. Since God is Just there are no problems that the Justice of Oneness cannot solve. But you believe that some forms of separation are fair and good and necessary to preserve the personal self. It is these problems that you think are great and cannot be resolved because you want loss and sacrifice to be real. But consider again your special function of seeing Perfect Innocence in your perception of one other to replace the world in your mind. In seeing Innocence you do not look on loss. The miracle of the Justice of Oneness you call on rests on you as surely as it does on your perception of the other. The Holy Spirit will only be content when you perceive Oneness everywhere. The Oneness that you give to the Holy Spirit belongs to your entire mind and by your extending It the Holy Spirit can ensure that your entire mind receives It.
7. Think how great your own release will be when you are willing to accept correction of all of your seeming problems. You will not keep one because you will not want pain in any form. You will see each little hurt resolved before the Holy Spirit’s Vision. All of your problems are little to the Holy Spirit and are worth no more than just a tiny sigh before they are forever undone and unremembered. What once seemed to you to be a special problem, a mistake without remedy, or an affliction without a cure becomes an opportunity for you to offer a blessing of Oneness. Sacrifice will be gone and in its place you will remember God’s Law of Oneness, Which shines away all of your thoughts of sacrifice and loss.
8. You will not remember God until you love the Justice of Oneness instead of fear It. God cannot be unjust to anything because God knows everything Real is One with God and will Forever be so. What God loves must be Innocent and beyond attack. Your special function opens in your mind your Memory of God’s Love, Perfectly Intact and undefiled. All that you need to do is wish that Heaven be given to you instead of hell and every barrier that seems to block your Memory of God will fall away. It is not God’s Will that you extend or receive less than God extends to you in the Perfect Love of your Oneness with God.
3. The Borderland
1. Complexity is not of God because all that God knows is One. God knows One Extension, One Reality, and One Truth. Nothing conflicts with Oneness so there can be no complexity in God. You have nothing to decide in God because it is conflict that makes your need for choice. Being One, the Truth is Simple and without opposite. Strife cannot enter Truth’s Simple Presence and bring complexity to Oneness. You have no decision to make in Truth because there is nothing to decide between. Your choosing is necessary only as a step toward Oneness because What is Everything has no room for anything else. But the Magnitude of Oneness is beyond the scope of this lesson plan and it is not necessary for you to dwell on What you cannot immediately grasp.
2. There is a borderland of thought in your mind between the world that you perceive and the Oneness of Heaven. It is not a place and it is apart from time. It is where your thoughts are brought together, where your conflicting values meet, and where you lay down all illusions beside Truth to be judged untrue. This borderland in your mind is just before Heaven and it is where your thoughts are made Pure and Simple. Here you deny your separation from God and you receive Everything that is instead.
3. This is the end of your journey to God. It has been referred to in this course as Real Perception. Yet there is a contradiction in these words that imply a limited, partial awareness of Truth. This is because God does not attack perception, which is not Knowledge of God, but God corrects it so that it can easily be translated to Knowledge of God. Your salvation is a borderland where place and time and choice still have meaning and yet you can see that they are temporary and out of place and that you have already made every choice.
4. Nothing that you believe can be destroyed but what you think is truth you must bring to the last comparison that you will ever make, the last evaluation that is possible, the final judgment on the world in your mind. This is the judgment of Truth on illusion and of Knowledge on perception: It has no meaning and does not exist. This is not a choice that you make but a simple statement of simple fact. In the world in your mind there are no simple facts because what is Truth and what is illusion is confused. Yet the distinction between Truth and illusion is the one essential thing you must choose to make. In this lies the difference between your perception of a world of separation and your Real Perception. In your perception of a world, choosing Truth seems impossible but in True Perception choosing Truth is simple.
5. Your salvation stops just short of Heaven because only your perception needs salvation. Heaven was never lost to you so It does not need to be saved. But you cannot make the choice between Heaven and hell when they are confused in your mind. Teaching you the difference between Heaven and hell is the goal of this course. It will not go beyond this aim. Its only purpose is to teach you to sort out Truth and illusion so that you can choose Truth, the only real choice for you to make.
6. There is no basis for choice in the complex and overly complicated world that you have made. You do not perceive that illusions are all the same and you choose between them where there is no real choice. Real Perception offers you a True Alternative so that you can make a real choice. Choice itself is actually an illusion because only God is Real but in choosing Real Perception you undo every illusion of choice, even this one.
7. Isn’t this like your special function where your perception of separation from God is undone by your changing the purpose of a relationship in the world that you perceive from specialness to Oneness? All illusions are the same illusion of separation from God. In your recognizing this you will find that you are able to give up all attempts to choose between illusions and make them seem different. You experience no conflict or sacrifice in your relinquishment of an illusion that you recognize is an illusion. It is not hard for you to give up what is no longer real to you and to choose What must be True.
4. Where Sin Has Left
1. Your forgiving in the world that you perceive is the equivalent of Heaven’s Justice of Oneness. It replaces the world of separation in your mind with Real Perception, Where the Justice of Oneness is reflected from the Limitlessness beyond forgiveness. Nothing in Boundless Love needs forgiveness and the charity that is forgiveness in the world that you perceive gives way to the Simple Justice of Heaven. You only need to forgive because you have believed that your perception of separation from God is real and you still believe that you have much that needs to be forgiven. Your forgiving, then, is the means by which you learn that you have done nothing to forgive. Your forgiving always rests on you, who are doing the forgiving, until you no longer see yourself needing to be forgiven. Your forgiving is the means by which you are returned to your Real Function of extending God.
2. Your forgiving replaces your perception of a world of separation from God with a Perception of your Glory. In this Perception everything that you see and hear reflects the Joy of Heaven. There is no sadness, no parting, and everything is totally forgiven. Your forgiven perceptions must join because nothing stands between them to keep them apart. In Innocence you must perceive that your Mind is One because there is nothing to push away part of your Mind from the rest of It. All things join as One in the space that your belief in separation from God has left vacant in your mind through forgiveness, gladly recognizing that What is part of your Mind has never been separate from It.
3. The space that your belief in separation from God leaves behind is the Holiest place in your mind. Here you see your Christ Mind rising in place of your belief in separation and where you see your Christ Mind you recall God as God really is. You cannot fear Love and remain where your belief in separation has left a place in your mind for Heaven to rise in your awareness and where you reach beyond the world that you perceive to touch God. Heaven is a song of gratitude and Love and praise by God’s Extension to God. The Holiest place in your mind is where you once believed that separation from God was real. Here, all the Love of Heaven comes to be revived and increased in Joy. Here, you who were lost to Love are restored to It and made Whole again.
4. They are not little miracles that your forgiving brings before Heaven. Here your Christ Mind comes to receive each gift of forgiveness that brings you closer to Home. Not one gift of forgiveness is lost or cherished more than another. Each reminds you of God’s Love as surely as the others and each teaches you that What you feared is What you love the most. Only your experience of a miracle can change your mind so that you understand that Love cannot be feared. This is really the only miracle. What else do you need to make all separation disappear from your mind?
5. In place of your perception of separation from God a Perception of Truth will rise and you will join the Love of Heaven there in gratitude and praise. As Love comes to you to be Complete so will you go to Love. You cannot hear Heaven’s Call without joining with It. You join Heaven at the tiny spot in your mind that once belonged to your belief in separation from God and this tiny spot disappears into the Magnitude of Oneness.
6. The tiny spot of separation in your mind that stands between you and Heaven holds you back from happily crossing to Heaven. How little is this hindrance that withholds the Abundance of Heaven from you! And how great will be the Joy in Heaven when you join It in the Love of God!
5. The Little Hindrance
1. A little hindrance can seem large to you when you do not understand that miracles are all the same. But teaching this is the only purpose for this course because this is all that there is for you to learn. You can learn this in many different ways. All of your learning helps or hinders you in opening your mind to the Presence of Heaven. Nothing in between is possible because you have only two teachers – the personal mind and the Holy Spirit - and each points in different directions. You will go along the way your chosen teacher leads and you have only two directions while time and choice remain meaningful to you. The only road through the world that you perceive is the road to Heaven and you choose either to go toward Heaven or away from It to nowhere. There is nothing else for you to choose between.
2. You can only lose time and in the end this is meaningless. Time is but a little hindrance to Eternity and quite meaningless to the Holy Spirit, your Real Teacher in your perception that you are in a world. Yet since you do believe in time, why waste it going nowhere when it can be used to reach God, as high a Goal as your learning can achieve? Do not think that your way to Heaven is difficult at all. Nothing that you undertake with certain purpose, high resolve, and happy confidence to join your entire mind in Heaven’s Oneness is difficult for you to do. But it is hard indeed for you to wander in separation and misery down a road that leads to nothing and has no purpose.
3. God gave the Holy Spirit to you to replace the teacher that you made, not to conflict with it. What God wants replaced is replaced. Time was only an instant in your mind that had no effect on Eternity. So all time has really passed and Eternity is exactly as It was before you made the way to nothingness. The tiny tick of time in which you made your first mistake of perceiving yourself separate from God and all of your seeming mistakes of separation within that one mistake also held the Holy Spirit as Correction for all of it. In that instant of simultaneous correction time was gone because an instant was all that it was. What God gave Answer to is answered and is gone.
4. You still believe that you live in time and you do not know that it is gone. The Holy Spirit guides you through an infinitely small and senseless maze that you perceive in time, though it has long since gone. You really live in the past because each thing that you look on you saw for only an instant, long ago in time before its unreality became your reality. Not one illusion in your mind remains unanswered. Your uncertainty was brought to Certainty so long ago that it is hard for you to hold onto it as though it is still before you.
5. The tiny instant you want to keep and make eternal passed away in Heaven too quickly for Heaven to have noticed that it had come. What disappeared too quickly to affect your Knowledge of God can hardly still be here for you to choose to be your teacher. Only in the past – an ancient past too short to make a world to replace God’s Extension – did a world seem to rise in your mind. This was so long ago, for such a tiny interval, that not one Part of Heaven was changed.
6. Yet in each of your unforgiving thoughts, in every judgment of the personal mind that you accept, and in all of your belief that separation from God is real that instant is called back to you as though it can be made into time again. You keep an ancient memory in your mind and living in memories you do not know that you are really in God. These memories are not a hindrance to your living in God. An echo from the past is not a fact that describes Where you are now. Your own illusions about time and place cannot change the Fact that you are really in God.
7. What you do not forgive in your perception of separation from God represents a past that is gone forever. Everything that points to separation as real for you is your wish that what is gone be made here and now in place of God, Which is really here and now. This is not a hindrance to the truth that the past is gone and cannot be returned to you. Do you want to keep that frightening instant when Heaven seemed to disappear from you and you feared God as a symbol of your hate?
8. Forget the time of terror that was corrected and undone so long ago. Your belief that separation is real cannot withstand the Will of God. It is not up to you to make the past into the present. You cannot go back. Everything that points in the direction of the past sets you on a mission that cannot be accomplished. This is the Justice of Oneness that God in Its Love has ensured must come to you. God has protected you from your own unfairness to yourself. You cannot lose your way because the only Way is God’s Way and you cannot go anywhere but to God.
9. God will not allow you to lose your way along a road that has long since past. A dreadful instant, now Perfectly Corrected, has no value. Let the dead and gone be Peacefully forgotten. Resurrection has come to take their place and you are part of the Resurrection, not of death. No illusions from the past have the power to keep you in a place of death - a place you entered for an instant to be immediately restored to God’s Perfect Love. You cannot be kept in limitations that have long been removed from your mind forever.
10. Your Christ Mind is Free in God. Your Christ Mind was reborn into your awareness the moment that you chose to die instead of live. Forgive yourself now because you made an error in a past that God does not remember and that is not here. Now you are shifting back and forth between a past that never was and a Present in God. Sometimes the past seems real, as though it is present. You are like one who still hallucinates but is no longer convinced of what they perceive. This is the borderland between perceptions; the bridge between past and Present. The shadow of the past remains here but you recognize your Present in God. Once you see this Present you will never forgot It. It will draw you from the past into the Present, Where you really are.
11. The shadows from the past do not change the laws of time or of Eternity. They come from what is past and gone and they do not hinder the Truth that is here and now. Real Perception is the correction for your hallucination that time and death are real. These terrible illusions were denied the instant that God gave Its simultaneous Answer to all illusions for all time. Then they were gone.
12. Every instant you seem to relive the instant when the time of terror took the place of Love in your mind. So you die each instant until you cross the gap between past and Present, which is not a gap at all. Such is each seeming “life” in the seeming world: an interval between birth and death, repeating an instant gone by long ago that cannot really be relived. All of time is your mad belief that what is over is still here and now.
13. Forgive the past and let it go because it is gone. You no longer stand between two perceptions. You have gone on and reached the Real Perception that is just outside of Heaven. There is no hindrance to the Will of God, nor any need that you repeat again a journey that was over long ago. Look gently on your mind’s perception of a world and behold your perception of hate transformed into a Perception of Love.
6. The Appointed Friend
1. Anything in the world that you perceive that you believe is good and valuable and worth striving for will hurt you, not because it has the power to hurt you but because by denying that it is only an illusion you make it real to you. In its perceived reality it is not nothing to you. Through its perceived reality the whole world of sick illusions enters your mind. All of your belief in separation and the power of attack, in hurt and harm, and in sacrifice and death comes with it. You cannot make one illusion real to you and escape the rest. You cannot choose to keep some illusions that you prefer and find the Safety that only the Truth can give to you. You cannot perceive that all illusions are the same while maintaining that even one is best.
2. Do not live your little “life” in the world that you perceive with even one illusion as your friend. This is not a friendship that is worthy of Part of God and it is not one with which you can be content. God has given you a better Friend in the Holy Spirit, in Which all the Power of Heaven rests. Any one illusion that you think is your friend obscures the Holy Spirit’s Grace and Majesty from you and keeps you from welcoming the Holy Spirit’s Friendship and forgiveness. Without the Holy Spirit you are friendless. Do not seek another friend to take the Holy Spirit’s place; there is no other friend. What God appointed has no substitute because no illusion can replace the Truth.
3. You are indeed friendless when you live with illusions and your loneliness is not the Will of God. You would not allow one illusion to usurp the place of the Holy Spirit in your mind if you realized that this leaves you empty. Do not make any illusion your friend because if you do it will take the place of the Holy Spirit, Which God has made your only Friend in Truth. The Holy Spirit brings Gifts of Love that are not of the world that you perceive and you can receive them only through the Holy Spirit in you. The Holy Spirit will bring Them to your mind when you make room for the Holy Spirit.
7. The Laws of Healing
1. This is a course in miracles so you must understand the laws of healing before you can fully accomplish the purpose of this course. It is time to review the principles that have already been covered and to arrange them in a way that summarizes all that must occur for your healing to be possible. When it is possible, healing will occur for you.
2. All discord that you experience comes from your belief that separation from God is real. When you deny the separation discord goes because it is gone as soon as the idea that brought it is healed and replaced by Sanity. Discord and your belief that separation from God is a “sin” are consequence and cause in a relationship that you keep hidden from your awareness so that it may not be undone through the Holy Spirit’s True Reasoning.
3. Your guilt asks for punishment and its request is granted, not in Truth but in the world of separation and illusions in your mind that is built on your belief that separation from God is real. You perceive a world of separation because your perception is your wish fulfilled. Perception changes and it was made to take the place of your Changeless Knowledge of God. Truth cannot be changed and you cannot perceive It but you can know It. What you perceive can take many forms but none of these forms has any meaning. Brought to Truth, the senselessness of what you perceive is quite apparent. But kept apart from Truth it seems to be real and to have meaning.
4. Perception’s law that you see what you want to be real is the opposite of Truth and What is True of God’s Knowledge is not true of anything apart from It. But God has given an Answer to your perception of a world of separation in the form of the Holy Spirit and this Answer applies to all of the forms separation takes. God’s Answer is Eternal though It works in time where It is needed. But because the Holy Spirit is of God the laws of time do not affect Its workings. The Holy Spirit is in your perception because both the separation and the Answer to it are in your mind. But the Holy Spirit is not of your perception because the Holy Spirit is Real and dwells in the part of your mind Where all Reality is. Ideas do not leave their source – your mind – and their effects only seem to be apart from you. What seem to be external to your mind are ideas projected out from it. They are only an effect of your mind and they have not left their source.
5. God’s Answer lies in your mind along with your belief that separation from God is real because only in your mind can this belief’s effects be utterly undone and can you see them as without cause. The law of perception must be undone because it is the total reversal of the Law of Truth. The Law of Truth cannot be reversed because It is Forever True but It can be seen upside down. This must be corrected in your mind where the illusion of reversal lies.
6. It is impossible for one illusion to be less open to correction by Truth than any other illusion. But it is possible that you value some illusions more than others and that you are less willing to offer these to Truth for healing. No illusion has any Truth in it but it appears to you that some are truer than others, even though this does not make any sense. All that a hierarchy of illusions can show you is your own preference, not Reality. Preference has no relevance to Truth, Which is One. All illusions are illusions and are false. Your preference cannot make any of them real. Not one illusion is true in any way and all of them must yield with equal ease to God’s Answer to them all. God’s Will is One and any wish that you have that seems to go against God’s Will has no foundation in Truth.
7. Your idea of “sin” is that separation from God is not an error to be corrected but is reality and beyond correction. This has made some forms of separation seem to you to be forever past the hope of healing and the grounds for hell seem eternal. If this were so Heaven would be opposed by its own real opposite; God’s Will would be split in two; and God’s Mind would be subjected to the laws of two opposing powers until God became impatient, split perception into two, and attacked Itself. God would have lost Its Mind and proclaimed that sin has taken God’s Reality from God and brought God’s Love to vengeance. For this insane idea you can expect to have an insane defense but you cannot establish that the idea must be true.
8. Nothing can give meaning to the meaningless and Truth does not need defense to make It True. Illusions have no witnesses and no effects and if you see them you are deceived. Forgiving is your only function in the world that you perceive and it serves to bring the perception of Joy to be all that you perceive to replace your perception that separation from God is real. Perhaps you do not see the role that your forgiving plays in ending death and all of your beliefs that arise from guilt. “Sins” are beliefs that you impose to split your mind between “you” and a world that you see outside of yourself. They limit you to time and place and give a little space to you and a little space to each of your separate perceptions. This separating off is symbolized in your perception by a body, which is clearly a separate thing. But what this symbol represents is your wish to be separate.
9. Your forgiving takes away the seeming “sins” that stand between you and the part of your mind that you have projected outside of you. It is your wish that your mind be One, not split. Your forgiving is called a “wish” because it is a choice and it has not yet reached entirely beyond the level of choice. But this wish is in line with the State of Heaven and it is not in opposition to God’s Will. Although it falls short of giving you All that God extends to you it does remove the obstacles that you have placed between Heaven and your awareness that you are One with God in Heaven. Facts do not change but you can deny them and seem to not know them.
10. Your complete and perfect salvation asks that you wish that the Truth be True for you, for a little willingness to overlook what is not there, and that you prefer that your mind be filled with Heaven instead of a perception of a world of death and desolation. When this is so your Oneness with God will rise within your mind in Joyous Answer to replace the world that you now perceive with Heaven. Your forgiving is only your willingness that the Truth be true. Nothing can remain unhealed and broken within a Oneness Which holds all things within Itself. You are not separate from God; it is not a sin to perceive this. Every miracle is possible the instant that that your wishes are One with the Will of God.
11. What is God’s Will? God’s Will is that you have Everything that God has and this is guaranteed in God’s extension of God to you. It is impossible that you lose God because What you have in God you are in God. This is the miracle that establishes extending God as your Function, Which you share with God. You cannot understand this apart from God,and so it has no meaning in the world that you made. In your perception that you are in a world you do not ask for too much, but for too little. You sacrifice your own Identity in God for a little identity of your own apart from God. So of course you have a sense of isolation, loss, and loneliness. This is what you sought to find but you can only be afraid of it. Is fear valuable? Is uncertainty what you really want? Or are you mistaken about what you really are and what you really will?
12. Look at what your error is so that you can correct it instead of protect it. Your belief that sin is real is your belief that your separation from God can be projected outside of your mind, where the belief arose. Your conviction that ideas can leave their source is made real and meaningful to you in this and gives rise to your perception of a world of separation and sacrifice outside of you. This is your attempt to see yourself as “innocent” while cherishing the separation that was your “attack” on God. Its failure lies in that you still feel guilty, though you do not understand why. You see the effects of your guilt separate from their source - your mind - and they seem to be beyond you to control or to prevent. You then keep the world apart from you and you can never join with it.
13. Cause and effect are one and can never be separate. God’s Will is that you learn what has always been True: God extends God to you and this must still be True because ideas do not leave their source. It is Creation’s Law that each Idea that Mind conceives adds to Its Abundance, never takes away from It. This is as true of what you idly wish as of what you Truly will because you can wish to deceive itself but you cannot make your mind what it is not. For you to believe that ideas can leave their source is for you to invite illusions to be true but without success. You will never wholly deceive yourself.
14. Your experience of the miracle is possible when your mind and its effects are brought together, not when they are kept apart. Healing the effect of your belief in separation from God without healing the cause in your mind will merely shift the effect to a different form. This is not release. In your Oneness with God you will never be content with less than full salvation from your perception of separation from God and the guilt it entails. If you still retain some bit of separation it is because you are still demanding some sacrifice of your Oneness with God and denying that Everything that is God’s is yours, without limits. A “tiny” sacrifice has the same effects on you as the whole idea of sacrifice. If loss of any kind is real to you then you cannot believe that you are Complete and One with God. You renounce God and your Self and make Them “enemies” to you.
15. Illusions serve the purpose that you want them to serve. From their purpose they derive any meaning that they seem to have for you. Though they were made to serve separation from God, God has given your illusions, no matter what form they take, a purpose that will justify a miracle. All of your healing lies in every miracle you experience because God gave One Answer, the Holy Spirit, to all of your calls for healing. What is One to God must be the same and if you believe that what is the same is different then you deceive yourself. What God calls One is Forever One, never separate. God’s Mind is One, as It is extended and will Forever be.
16. Your experience of the miracle calls to the Christ Mind in you, Which you will recognize because the Truth is in your Memory. The part of your mind that you perceive as a world calls to your Christ Mind to be released with you. Heaven is shining in that part of your mind; so that you can be released, do not deny this. Every instant you are reborn until you choose to not die again. In your every wish to hurt you choose death instead of the Life that God wills for you. But every instant offers you Life because God wills that you should live.
17. Correction is laid where you see crucifixion because healing is needed where you perceive pain and suffering are real. Your forgiving it is the answer to any of your perceptions of separation so that your seeming attack on God is deprived of its effects in your mind and your Self-hate is answered with Love. All Glory be to you who have the function of saving your entire mind from crucifixion, hell, and death. You have the Power to save yourself because God has willed this be so. Salvation lies in you to be extended and received by you.
18. It is natural for you to use the Power God that gives to you, as God wants you to use It. It is not arrogant for you to recognize that you are One with God, nor for you to use the Answer that God has given to your mistakes to set you free. But it is arrogant for you to lay aside the Power that God gives to you and to choose a little senseless wish instead of God’s Will. God’s Answer is a Limitless Gift to you. There is no circumstance It cannot answer and no problem that is not resolved in Its Gracious Love.
19 Abide in Peace, Where God wants you to be. Be the means by which you perceive the Peace in Which your wish is fulfilled. Unite with your Christ Mind to extend blessing to replace all of your perceptions of sin and death. What can save you can save all that you perceive because there is no difference between your mind and the world that it perceives. The Oneness that your specialness denies will wholly save you because What is One is not divided up by specialness. Everything belongs to your mind and no wishes can stand between your mind and what is part of it. To try to get something from someone in the world that you perceive is to limit your mind but to extend blessing to your perception of even one other is to extend blessing to all that you perceive.
20. Your Christ Mind is not split and It is yours as It belongs to all that you perceive. Call on your Christ Mind and God will answer because you are calling on God. God cannot refuse to Answer when God has already answered. Your experience of a miracle does not change anything but it can make you, who think you don’t know Truth, recognize Truth. By letting your experience of the miracle be what it is you are allowing you to be your Self and your mind is freed as one to call upon Christ.
8. The Immediacy of Salvation
1. The one remaining problem that you have is that you see an interval of time between your forgiving your perception of separation from God and your receiving the benefits of trusting in the Oneness of your Christ Mind. This reflects the little space of separation that you want to keep in your mind. Time and space are one illusion which takes different forms. If you project the illusion of separation beyond your mind you think of it as time. The closer you are to the awareness that the illusion of separation is in your mind, the more you think of it in terms of space.
2. There is a little space of separation that you want to keep in your mind and you see this as time. You still believe that your mind is split between “you” and a world outside of you and this makes it impossible for you to trust in the Oneness of your Christ Mind. You do not believe that extending your Christ Mind will settle all of your problems now. You think it is safer to remain wary and watchful of a world that you perceive as separate from you. From this perception you cannot conceive of gaining the Limitlessness that forgiving separation offers you now. The interval that you think lies between your extending forgiveness and receiving it for yourself seems to be one in which you will suffer sacrifice and loss. You see eventual salvation but not immediate results.
3. Your salvation is immediate and unless you perceive this you will be afraid of salvation because you will believe that the risk of loss is great between the time that you accept salvation as your purpose and you receive its effects. But this obscures the real source of your fear, which is that salvation will wipe out all separation in your mind and your mind will instantly become One again. This is really where you fear loss. Do not project this fear onto time because time is not the enemy that you perceive. Like the body, time is neutral and its meaning comes from the purpose that you give to it. If you want to keep in your mind a little space of separation you will want a little time in which you withhold forgiveness from yourself. This makes the interval between the time that you extend forgiveness and receive it seem dangerous to you and your fears will seem justified.
4. Yet the space between “you” and the world that seems outside of you is apparent to you now and you cannot perceive it as happening only at a future time. You also can only overlook it right now. Your fear is not future loss but present Oneness. You feel desolation now; its cause is not in the future. Therefore what you fear must have a present cause and the present is where you need correction.
5. The plans that you make for safety are all in the future where you cannot plan. No purpose has been given to the future yet and what will happen does not yet have a cause. You cannot predict effects without a cause and you will not fear effects unless you believe that they have already been caused and you have judged them as disastrous now. Your belief that your separation from God is real arouses fear in you and like the personal mind that causes it, it looks forward and back but never at what is here and now. But its cause must be here and now if you already judge its effects as fearful. Your refusing to look at the separation in the present protects it and keeps it from healing because the miracle is now. The miracle is already here in Present Grace, within the only interval of time that in separation and fear you have overlooked but which is all that is real in time.
6. It takes no time at all for total correction to occur but your accepting correction for all can seem to take forever. The change of purpose that the Holy Spirit brought to you through your Holy relationship has in it all the effects of correction that you can look on now. Why wait for them to unfold in time, fearing that they may not come, though they are here now? Everything that comes from God is Good but it seems to you that this is not so when you put It off into the future. Good then appears like disaster to you and It is difficult to credit in advance. There is no sense in this idea.
7. You are deceiving yourself if “good” seems to appear in the evil form of delay. But if Good appears at all its Cause must be here. So where are Its Effects? Why do you put them off into the future? You seek to be content with sighing and with “reasoning” that you do not understand it now but will “one day”. This is not reason because it is the injustice of separation and clearly hints at your punishment until the time of liberation is at hand. Your purpose has been changed for the Good and there is no reason for you to suffer an interval of pain. This is your sacrifice of now, which the Holy Spirit does not ask for as the “cost” for the Good that It extends to you.
8. This illusion that there must be delay between extending your Good and your receiving It has a cause in your mind. This illusion is only one effect that the cause of your desire for separation engenders and one form in which you perceive its outcome. This interval of time where you perceive retribution in the form of delay to be the form in which “good” appears for you is just one aspect of the little space of separation that you still want and haven’t forgiven.
9. Do not be content with future happiness. This has no meaning and it is not your due. You have Cause for Freedom now. There is no freedom in a release that you put off. Why should your deliverance be disguised as death? Delay is senseless and your “reasoning”, which maintains that Effects with a Present Cause must be delayed, is merely your denial of the Fact that Cause and Effect are One. Do not look to be delivered from time but from the little space of separation that you want to keep in your mind. Do not let this little space be disguised as time and preserved because its form is changed so you will not recognize it. The Holy Spirit’s Purpose is yours now. Don’t you want the Holy Spirit’s Happiness as well?
9. For They Have Come
1. Think how Holy you must be that the Holy Spirit extends Lovingly through your perception so that you may awaken in your entire mind the awareness of the Holy Spirit. Think how Holy your perception is because in it your salvation and Freedom are joined to your entire mind. However much you may wish to perceive condemnation, God is in your entire mind. You will never know that God is in you while you perceive any form of separation because your entire mind is God’s chosen home. Regard all that you see Gently and look with the Loving Perception of your Christ Mind that you may behold Christ’s Glory and rejoice that Heaven is not separate from you.
2. It is not too much to ask of you that you trust in the Christ that you see in your perception of another so that you may forgive your perception of separation from God. Do not forget that an illusion held between yourself and another obscures your Christ Mind and your Memory of God for you. Do not trade God for an ancient Self-hate. Your mind is Holy because God is with you, blessing your mind with Its Innocence and Peace.
3. Your mind is renewed as hate fades from it. Your mind, which once honored death, now honors Life and extends Life to all that you perceive because you remember God. It is God’s Presence Which lifts Holiness to take Its rightful place in your mind. Because of God, miracles replace hatred and desolation in your mind, undoing them. Now your mind is so Holy that Heaven leans to join it and make it One like Itself. Where God has come the dark shadows cast by illusions are gone forever from your mind.
4. A hundred, a thousand, tens of thousands of years are nothing to God. When God comes into your mind time’s purpose is fulfilled. What never was passes to nothingness when God has come. What hatred claimed is given up to Love and in Loving Limitlessness your entire mind is lifted to Heaven, Where Love is increased with every Loving Thought that you extend. What seemed incomplete is made Complete in your awareness again and Heaven’s Joy is increased because you who belong to It have been restored. So you can join with God in your awareness again your mind is purified of the conflicted world that you perceived, along with all of the insanity in it.
5. Heaven is grateful to you for this gift that you give to It because God has come again to your mind, which belongs to God. Your mind, which was closed to God, has been opened and what was held apart from Love is given to God that Love may undo any space between you and what your mind perceives.
6. The Holiest of all spots in your mind is where you have given Self-hatred over to Love. God comes quickly to your mind when it has been prepared for God. There is no place in Heaven Holier. God comes to dwell in your mind, which is made a home to God to be God’s resting place as well as yours. Where you have released hatred to Love is the Strongest Spot of Love in Heaven. All the Love of Heaven grows Stronger in Gratitude for what you have restored to It.
7. God’s Loving Thoughts hover around you to keep away all dark thoughts that separation from God is real and to keep Love in your awareness. Where you walk in the world that you perceive you walk with forgiveness and your entire mind offers thanks to you for restoring its home. God can not thank you more.
8. Now your mind is restored to be home again to the Living God Which created your mind by extending Itself to it. Where God dwells your Christ Mind dwells with God. God gives thanks that you welcome God at last. Where you once perceived a cross of crucifixion you now see your Christ Mind risen in your awareness and your scars of separation are healed by Christ’s Vision. A miracle has come to bless and replace a hatred that came to kill. In Gentle Gratitude God returns to your mind, which is God’s now and forever. Now the Holy Spirit’s Purpose is done because God has come!
10. The End of Injustice
1. What, then, remains to be undone for you to realize the Presence of God? You believe that some forms of separation in the world that you perceive are justified and that others are unfair and should not be allowed. When you perceive unfairness you think it is justified to respond with anger. You therefore see as different illusions that are the same. Your confusion about what is real and what is illusion is not limited. If it occurs at all it is total. And its presence, in whatever form, will hide the Presence of God in your mind.
2. If you perceive some forms of separation as unfair then you must perceive some forms of separation as fair. You give some illusions meaning, then, and you perceive them as sensible and others you see as meaningless. This denies that all of separation is senseless, is equally without cause, and cannot have real effects. God’s Presence in your mind is obscured by any illusion that stands between God’s Innocence and your awareness that It is your own and that It belongs to all that your mind perceives. God does not limit and what is limited cannot be Heaven so it must be hell.
3. Your perception of separation is unfair to you, who are One. You cannot be unfairly treated and your belief that you can is another form of your idea that someone or something outside of you can deprive you. Your projection of the cause of your sacrifice is the root of everything that you perceive to be unfair to you. You ask sacrifice of yourself in deep injustice to your Oneness with God. You have no enemy except yourself and you are enemy to your own mind when you do not recognize that your perceptions are in your own mind. Nothing could be more unjust than that your mind be deprived of its Wholeness, denied the right to its Wholeness, and asked to sacrifice God’s Love and yours as not its due.
4. Beware of the temptation to perceive yourself as unfairly treated. In this view you seek to find an innocence in the personal mind that does not come from your Oneness with God but comes at the cost of separating your mind so that guilt seems to be outside of it. You cannot purchase Innocence by splitting your mind so that you can project guilt away from you. It is not really Innocence that this attack on yourself seeks to get; it seeks to project away responsibility for your own attack on God. You think it is safer to believe that you are an innocent victim of an external world than that you are responsible for splitting your mind off from God. But whatever way you play the game of guilt you will lose. Some part of your mind must lose its Innocence so that some other part can seem to be innocent but the guilt is still in your mind.
5. You think that the other in your Holy relationship is unfair to you because you think that someone must be unfair to make you innocent. In this game the personal mind sees a purpose for your relationship and you seek to add it to the purpose that was given to it by the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit’s purpose for your Holy relationship is to make you aware of the Presence of God in your mind. Nothing can be added to this because the world that you perceive has only this as its real purpose. To add or to take away from this purpose is to take away all purpose from the world that you perceive and from yourself in it. Every bit of unfairness that the world seems to lay on you, you have laid on it by rendering it without the function that the Holy Spirit gives to it. The Justice of Oneness is then denied to your entire mind.
6. You cannot calculate what this injustice of separation does to you who judges unfairly and who then perceives unfairness. You perceive a dark and threatening world without the Happy Sparkle of salvation. You see yourself deprived of Love, abandoned to fear, and unfairly left without a purpose in a futile world. But you can perceive Fairness because in your mind the Holy Spirit has replaced the injustice of separation with the Justice of Oneness, Which has resolved all unfairness. If you perceive the injustice of separation anywhere say to yourself:
With this I deny the Presence of God.
I would rather know God than perceive separation, which God’s Presence undoes.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|