|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 28: The Undoing of Fear
1. The Present Memory
1. Your experience of the miracle doesn’t do anything; it undoes. It cancels out all of your interference to God, Which is. It does not add to your mind, it takes away what is not from your mind. What it takes away is long since gone but being in your memory it seems to have effects now. The world that you perceive was over long ago. The thoughts that made it are no longer in your mind, which thought of it and loved it for a little while. Your experience of miracles shows you that the past is gone and what has truly gone has no effects. Your remembering a cause can only produce an illusion of its presence, not real effects.
2. All of the effects of your belief that your separation from God is real are not here because that belief is gone from you. Its consequences went with it. You only cling to its memory because you want its effects. Remembering is as selective as perception because it is perception’s past tense. It is perception of the past as if it is occurring now and is still here to see. Like perception, memory is a skill that you made up to take the place of your Oneness with God. Like all that you have made, memory can be used to serve the Holy Spirit’s Purpose. If you wish, it can be used to heal and not to hurt.
3. What you use for healing does not require effort because healing is your recognition that you don’t have any needs that require that something be done. It is an unselective memory that is not used to interfere with Truth. The Holy Spirit can use everything that you give to the Holy Spirit for your healing but without the content and the purpose for which you made them. They are neutral skills that wait for an application and use. They have no dedication and aim of their own.
4. The Holy Spirit can use your memory because God is in your memory. But this is not a memory of Something past but of a present State. You are used to thinking that memory holds what is in the past but it is a skill that can remember now. The limitations that the personal mind imposes on your memory are as vast as the limitations that you let it impose on you. There is no link between your memory and the personal self’s past unless you want to put it there. Only your desire for it made this link and only you have held memory to a part of time where guilt appears to linger.
5. The Holy Spirit uses memory apart from time. The Holy Spirit does not use it to hold on to a personal self’s past but as a means to let go of the past. Memory holds the message it is given, it does not write the message or appoint what it is for. Like the body it has no purpose in itself. If it seems to serve your cherishing of an old hate and if it gives you pictures of injustices and hurts that you are holding onto it is because this is what you have given it to do. The personal self’s “story” is committed to your memory’s vault. All of the strange associations that you make to keep the personal self’s past alive and the present dead to you are stored within it, waiting for you to call on them so that you can live them again. This is how time seems to increase the past’s effects on you and to hide their cause.
6. Time is just another part of illusions. It works hand-in-hand with all the other ideas that you use to conceal the Truth about yourself. Time cannot take away or restore anything. But in your identification with a personal self you make a strange use of time: What happened in the personals self’s past caused what is in the present, so the present is only a consequence of the past and it cannot be changed because the past is gone. But when change happens it must have a cause that is present or it will not last. Something cannot be changed in the present if its cause is in the past. The way that the personal mind uses memory is to hold onto the personals self’s past so it is a way of holding that past against now.
7. Do not remember anything that the personal mind has taught you because you were badly taught. You do not want to keep a senseless lesson in your mind when you can learn and preserve a better one. When old memories of hate appear remember that their cause is gone so you cannot understand what they are for. Do not let a cause that you give them now be what makes them what they seemed to be in the past. Be glad that they are gone because they are what you want to forgive yourself. Instead, perceive the new Effects of accepting now that God is your Cause, Which has consequences here. They will surprise you with their Loveliness. The “new” ideas that they bring will be the Happy Consequences of a Cause so ancient that It far exceeds the span of memory that you see in your perception.
8. God is the Cause that the Holy Spirit remembers for you when you want to forget It. God is not past because the Holy Spirit cannot forget God. Your Memory of God has never changed because the Holy Spirit has always kept God safely in your memory. The Consequences of remembering God will indeed seem new to you because you thought that you forgot their Cause. But God is never absent from your mind because it is not God’s Will that Part of God forget God.
9. What you remember through the personal mind never was. It came from nothing, which you confused with a real cause. It can only deserve laughter when you learn that you have remembered consequences that have no cause. In your experience of the miracle you remember that God is your Cause, Forever Present, perfectly untouched by time and interference and never changed from What It is. You are God’s Effect, as Changeless and Perfect as God. Your Memory of God does not lie in the past, or wait for the future. It is not revealed to you in the experience of the miracle, which only reminds you that you can no longer deny God.
10. You have sought to lay a judgment on God and so you cannot understand that it is not God Which has laid a judgment on you. You want to deny God Its Effect but God’s Effect has never been denied by God. Never at any time can you be condemned for what has no real cause and is against God’s Will. What you remember through the personal mind only witnesses to your fear of God. God has not done the thing that you fear; no more have you done the thing that you fear. Your Innocence has not been lost. You do not need healing to be Whole. Quietly see in your experience of miracles lessons in allowing Cause to have Its Own Effect, without interference.
11. The miracle comes quietly into your mind when you stop an Instant and are still. It reaches gently from that Quiet Instant and from your mind healed in that Instant to extend to be all that you perceive. And What you perceive will do nothing to prevent your mind’s extension back into the Mind Which caused it to be. Born from you extending your mind, the miracle is not delayed by any pause in time to bring an Instant’s Stillness to be all that you perceive and to return the Memory of God to you. Your remembering is Quiet now and you will not wholly forget What has come to take the place of the personal mind’s memories when you return to time.
12. The Holy Spirit thanks you for every Quiet Instant that you give to It. In that Instant you allow your Memory of God to offer you all of Its Treasures, Which have been kept for you. How gladly the Holy Spirit offers them to you, for whom the Holy Spirit has kept them! God shares the Holy Spirit’s Thanks to you because God does not want to be deprived of Its Effect. The Instant of Silence that you accept into your mind welcomes God and Eternity and lets them enter where they want to abide because in that Instant you do nothing that makes you afraid.
13. The Memory of God arises in your mind the Instant that you have no fear to keep the Memory away. In that Instant the personal mind’s remembering is gone; there is no fearful image of the past to stand in the way of your awakening to the Presence of Peace. Eternity extends throughout the Stillness of your mind and What you remember now is not fear but God, Which fear was made to undo and make you forget. The Stillness speaks of Love that you remember from before the personal mind’s remembering of the past came between you and the present to shut out Love.
14. Now you are at last aware of your Present Cause and Its Benign Effect. Now you understand that what you made has no cause and no effects at all. You have done nothing and you have never had any need to do anything. The God the Cause is Its Own Effect and there is no other cause that can generate a past or future. God’s Effect is Changeless, Eternal, beyond fear, and entirely past a world of separation.
15. What do you lose by no longer seeing what has never existed? Where is your sacrifice when your Memory of God has come to take the place of loss? There is no better way for you to close the gap between illusions and Reality than to allow your Memory of God to flow across it and make a Bridge that it will take you only an Instant to cross. God has closed the gap with God. Your Memory of God has not passed you by to leave you stranded with no way to reach God. God wills that you be gently carried over the Bridge to God. God is the Bridge, God built the Bridge, and It is God that will carry you over the Bridge. Do not fear that God will fail in What It wills or that you will be excluded from a Will that is for you.
2. Reversing Effect and Cause
1. There can be no effects without a cause and every cause has effects. A cause is made a cause by its effects; God is your Creator because you are God’s Creation. Effects do not cause their cause but they do establish their cause’s causation. So God’s Effect makes God a Cause and God’s Effect must receive the Gift of causation that God’s Effect has given to God. It is because you are God’s Effect that you must also be a cause yourself and extend God as God extends God to you. Creation is Boundless and One; without beginning and without ending.
2. God’s Extension is Creation. Love must be extended; Purity is not confined. It is the nature of Innocence to be Forever uncontained, without barriers, and without limitations. So your Purity is not of the body and It cannot be found where there is limitation. The body can be healed by the Effects of your Purity, Which are as Limitless as Purity. But all healing must come about because you recognize that your mind is not within a body and your mind’s healing and Innocence are apart from a body. Healing, then, is only where its Cause is given Its Effects. Your sickness is a meaningless attempt to give effects to an unreal cause to make it seem real.
3. In sickness you are always trying to be your own cause and to not allow yourself to be God’s Effect. For this impossible desire you must not believe that you are Love’s Effect and you must cause yourself because of what you think you are. The Cause of healing is the only Cause of Everything and It has only One Effect. In recognizing this you recognize that what is not of God has no cause and no effects and you can’t see its supposed effects. A mind within a body within a world of other bodies, each with its separate mind, are the “creations” of your split mind, causing effects that are unlike you in Reality. But as their “creator” you must think that you are like them.
4. Nothing at all has happened except that you have denied God, which has resulted in an illusion in which you are an alien to yourself and supposedly a part of someone or something else’s mind. Your experience of the miracle does not return you to God but it shows you that you make the illusion. It teaches you that there is a choice of illusions while you still want them, depending on what you see as the purpose for them. Do you wish for illusions of healing or for illusions of death? An illusion is like a memory in that it pictures what you want shown to you.
5. All of the personal mind’s shreds of memories and illusions are held in a place in your mind that is empty of Reality. But since you are the maker of the illusion you can perceive that you have caused the illusion and you can accept another illusion in its place. To change the content of the illusion that you do not like you have to realize that it is you who make it. It is only an effect that you have caused and you must choose to not be cause of this effect. In your illusions where you project your guilt for separating from God onto an attacking and murderous world you see yourself as a victim in a dying body but in your forgiving illusions no one is the victim and sufferer. These are the happy illusions that the miracle exchanges for your own. It does not ask you to make another illusion, only that you see that you made the one that you want to exchange for a happy one.
6. The world that you perceive is causeless, as is every illusion that you make within the world. None of your plans there are really possible and no design exists for your “life” in it that you can truly understand. What else can you expect from a thing that has no real cause? Since it has no cause it has no purpose. You may cause an illusion but you will never give it real effects because that would change its cause – you - and it is this that you cannot do. As a maker of illusions you are not aware of God but you also do not know that you are in denial. You see illusions of yourself as sick or well, depressed or happy, but without a stable cause with guaranteed effects.
7. Your experience of a miracle establishes for you that you make illusions and that their content is not true. This is a crucial step for you in dealing with illusions. You will not be afraid of illusions when you realize that you make them up. Your fear is held in place because you do not see that you are the author of the illusion and not a figure in the illusion. You give yourself the consequences that you gave to another to cause. And it is this that the illusion puts together and offers you to show you that your wishes have been done. So you really fear your own attack but you see it at another’s hand. If you see yourself as a victim you suffer from the effects of the attack but not its cause. You do not want to see that you caused the attack so that you can see yourself innocent of it. But underneath you know you did this to yourself and your experience of the miracle only shows you that you have done nothing real. What you fear is a cause that is without real effects that would make it a cause and so it never was.
8. Your perception of separation from God started with your illusion that you deprived God of Its Effect and God was powerless to keep you since God was no longer your Cause. In this illusion you, who made the illusion, also made yourself into the personal self. But the personal self that you made has turned against you, taking on the role of its own creator, just as you as the maker of illusion think that you made yourself. And as you as the maker of illusion hate God so the figures in your illusion hate you. The body is their slave, which they abuse because the motives that you have given to them they have adopted as their own. They hate the body for the vengeance it offers them. It is their vengeance on the body that appears to prove to you that you could not be the maker of the illusion. First you split off effect from its cause, then you reverse them so that the effect becomes the cause and the cause becomes the effect.
9. This is separation’s final step, the one with which salvation begins because it proceeds the other way. This final step is an effect of what has gone before, appearing as a cause. Your experience of the miracle is your first step in giving back to Cause the function of causation, not effect. Your confusion of cause and effect produced your illusion and while it lasts you will fear becoming aware of God again. Nor will you hear God’s Call because It will seem to be to you the call to fear.
10. Like every lesson that the Holy Spirit requests that you learn, the miracle is clear. It demonstrates what the Holy Spirit wants you to learn and shows you Its effects are what you want. The effects of your illusion of separation from God are undone in the Holy Spirit’s forgiving Perceptions and the figures in your illusion that were your hated enemies you will perceive as benign. You will see their enmity as without cause because they did not make it and you will accept the role of maker of their hate because you will see it has no effects. Now you will be free from this much of the illusion. The world that you perceive is neutral and you do not need to fear the bodies that seem to move around in it as separate things and so they are not sick.
11. Your experience of the miracle returns the cause of fear to you who made it. But it also shows that, having no effects, fear is not caused because the function of causation is to have effects. Where effects are gone there is no cause. The body is healed by miracles because they show you that the mind made sickness and employed the body to be victim, or effect, of what it made. But this in only half of the lesson. The miracle is useless if you learn only that the body can be healed, for this is not the lesson it was sent to teach. The lesson is always that the mind was sick that thought that the body could be sick. Projecting the mind’s guilt onto the body caused nothing and had no real effects.
12. The world in your mind is full of miracles, which stand in silence next to every illusion of pain and suffering, of sin and guilt. They are the alternative to your illusion of separation, your choice to be the maker of the illusion rather than to deny your active role in making up the illusion. They are the happy effects of taking back the consequences of sickness to their cause – you. The body is released when your mind acknowledges: This is not done to me but I am doing this. Then your mind is free to make another choice. Beginning here, your salvation will proceed to change the course of every step in your descent to separation until all of your steps have been retraced, the ladder has been removed, and the illusion of a world is undone.
3. The Agreement to Join
1. What waits for you in Perfect Certainty beyond salvation is not the concern of this course. You have barely started to allow your first uncertain steps to be directed up the ladder that separation has led you down. The miracle alone is your present concern; this is where you must begin. Having started, your way will be made Serene and simple as your illusion of separation from God ends and you become aware of Reality again. When you accept the experience of a miracle you do not add to your illusion of fear. Without support your illusion will fade away without effects because it is your support that strengthens it.
2. You cannot perceive a sick mind until you agree that there are separate minds and you decide to be sick and to perceive sickness. If you withdraw agreement from a perception of sickness and you accept that it is your part that makes sickness real to you, you undo separation and your projection of guilt onto another in the world that you perceive. Then the body is not perceived as separate from your mind and therefore it cannot be sick. Uniting in your mind what seems like “you” and your perception of a world outside of you prevents the cause of sickness – separation – and its perceived effects. Healing is the effect of your united mind, as sickness comes from your split mind.
3. Your experience of the miracle does nothing just because your Mind is One and cannot separate. But in your illusion you have reversed this and it seems as though your mind has been separated into many bodies which cannot join. Do not perceive sickness as real anywhere or you participate in your illusion of separation. You will not see that the cause of sickness is your own belief in it and you will be looking on the separation where sickness is bred. You will join with sickness to preserve unhealed the little gap in your mind where sickness is carefully protected, cherished, and upheld as real to keep God from bridging the gap. Do not use illusions to fight God’s coming because It is God that you want above all things in your illusion.
4. The end of your illusion of separation from God is the end of your fear. Love has never been in the world that you perceive. The gap in your mind is little but it holds the seeds of pestilence and every form of illness because it is your wish to keep your mind separated. So this gap seems to be the cause of sickness but it is not sickness’ cause. The purpose of the gap is all the cause that sickness has. The purpose of the gap is to keep your mind separated and in a body that you see as if it were the cause of your pain.
5. The cause of your pain is your perceived separation from God, not the body, which is also only an effect of the separation. But the separation is only an empty place in your mind, enclosing nothing, doing nothing; an insubstantial gap that is easily closed over. You have no grounds for sickness when your mind joins itself to close the little gap that seemed to exist between you and what you perceive, where the seeds of sickness seemed to grow.
6. God builds the bridge over the gap in your mind in the space left clean and vacant by your experience of the miracle. God cannot bridge sickness and guilt because God cannot destroy a will that God did not create. Let the effects of this alien will be gone and do not clutch them with eager hands to keep them for yourself. Your experience of the miracle will brush them all aside to make room for God, Which wills to come and bridge your returning to your Self.
7. Count your experiences of miracles and your illusions of True Happiness as all the treasures that you want to keep within your perception and bring your perceptions of separation to them for correction when you confuse illusions with Truth. The world is nothing but a little gap in your mind where you believe that you tore apart Eternity and broke It into days and months and years. And within the world you seem to be a picture of a Mind that has been broken into many pieces, each concealed within a separate insecure body.
8. Do not be afraid but let your perception be lit by your experience of miracles. Join your mind where you saw a gap between “you” and a world that seemed outside of you and you will see that all sickness is without a cause. The illusion of healing lies in your forgiving your perception of separation, which gently shows you that you never “sinned”. Your experience of he miracle will leave you no proof of guilt to bring you a witness to what never was. And in your perception the miracle will make a place of welcome for God and your Self. Your Loving Perceptions will replace with Oneness all your perceptions of separation.
9. Your Loving Perceptions are unlike what you perceive in your illusion of a world of separation. Unlike in the world of lack, the more Love that you extend the more you are aware that you have Love. God’s Love is Unlimited and you cannot be deprived of It. What God extends to you, you share in equally with God. There is no gap between you and God. Time does not wait for Love, Which has no end, and Love has bridged the space in your mind that seemed to keep you apart from God.
4. The Greater Joining
1. Accepting correction of your perception that you are separate from God means that you do not give support to illusions of sickness or death, no matter where they seem to arise in the world that you perceive. It means that you do not wish your mind to be separated into “you” and a world outside of you and to turn illusions on yourself. So illusions have no effect on you and you are free of perceptions of pain. Unless you overlook illusions of pain in the world that you perceive you will suffer pain because pain is your wish and you will become a figure in illusions of pain. So both “you” and your mind’s perceptions will be illusions and without your Real Identity. You can be anything or anyone, depending on your illusion, but you will think that you are evil because your illusions are frightening.
2. There is a way for you to find certainty right here and now: Refuse to be part of fearful illusions, whatever form they take, or you will lose your Identity in them. You find your Self by not accepting them as causing you and making you their effect. You stand apart from illusions but not apart from the mind which makes them. Separate the illusion from its maker and identify with the maker while letting the illusion go. The illusion is in your mind and the mind is you, not the illusion. It is the illusion you fear, not the mind that makes it. You think that they are the same because you think that you are a figure in your illusion. What is Real in you and what is illusion in you, you do not know and you cannot yet tell apart.
3. The figures in your illusion think that they are real but do not participate in this because your Identity depends on the Reality in your mind, Which encompasses them. Your Oneness is not with the body/personal selves of “others” but with your mind, where they seem to be. The Reality in this part of your mind is your Reality. The body/personal selves of others only seem to make a little gap in your mind between a “you” and a “them”.
4. And yet there is no gap between “your” mind and what your mind perceives “out there” as a world. For you to believe in the illusion of other selves is for you to not unite your mind because the illusion of others as real and separate is meant to separate your mind. Release your mind by acknowledging your Oneness with what your mind perceives but not with frightening illusions. If you support your illusions of others as really separate from you, you will believe that you are a separate self and you will be bound to illusions. Illusions of fear will haunt this little gap in your mind, which is inhabited by illusions that you support in your mind within and that you project outward onto a world.
5. Be certain that if you do your part in forgiving illusions that your mind will join in Oneness. Do not call on your illusions of others to meet you in separation or you will believe that you are an illusion of a separate self. You do not do your part when you are passively a part of an illusion instead of accepting yourself as maker of the illusion. Your identity in an illusion is meaningless because, as effect and cause, an illusion and its maker are one. You must be your own illusion because by making it you are cause and it is effect.
6. You are confused and you perceive confusion because in the gap in your mind you do not have a stable self. Your mind that is all the same seems to have differences. Your perception of others’ illusions is your illusion because you let it be. But if you take away your part in making illusions you free your mind of all illusions. Others’ illusions seem to attest to yours and yours to theirs but if you see that Truth is not part of making any illusions all illusions will go from your mind.
7. The Holy Spirit is in you and in your perception and the Holy Spirit is One because there is no gap that separates Oneness from Itself. The gap that seems to be between bodies in the world that you perceive does not matter because a mind that is One in the Holy Spirit is always One. There is no sickness when you perceive Oneness. Your desire to be a sick and split mind can not remain without a witness or a cause and sickness and separation are gone when you will to unite your mind. You have an illusion that your mind is separated but by not participating in it you leave the split in your mind empty for God to join your Mind, Which the Holy Spirit has joined.
8. The Holy Spirit’s Function is to take the image of disconnected things that is the world that you perceive and replace it with a Perception of Oneness. The Holy Spirit extends Oneness in place of every disconnected thing that you thought was whole unto itself. To each thing the Holy Spirit extends Its Identity, Which is Oneness, to replace an image of separation. When you see Oneness you will recognize your Self. If you do not participate in any illusion of separation, Oneness is What your experience of the miracle will place in the little gap in your mind left clean of sickness and your belief in separation. Here God will receive you who are One with God because you are gracious to yourself.
9. Thank you, God, for coming to close each little gap that seems to lie between the disconnected images in my mind. Your Holiness, Complete and Perfect, encompasses every image and they are all joined because What surrounds one surrounds all of them. How Holy is the smallest grain of sand when I recognize that it is part of my Complete Mind! The forms the images take mean nothing because my Whole Mind encompasses each one and every aspect of my Mind is the same as every other aspect.
10. Do not join with illusions but join the Mind where the illusions occur. God is where you join Part of God. You will not seek for substitutes to God when you perceive that you have not lost God. You will not want the “benefits” of sickness when you have received the simple happiness of health. What God extends to you cannot be lacking and what is not of God has no effects. What, then, do you want to perceive in the gap in your mind where separation seems to be? Sickness comes from your belief that there is joy in separation and that giving it up would be a sacrifice for you. But the experience of miracles is the result for you when you do not insist on seeing what is not there in the gap in your mind. Your willingness to let go of illusions is all that the Holy Spirit requires of you. The Holy Spirit will place healing where sickness seemed to be, and you will not experience loss, only gain.
5. The Alternative to Dreams of Fear
1. Sickness is a sense of limitation, a splitting off and a separating from. It is a gap that you perceive between you and what you see as “health”. When you are sick you see the good outside and the evil within, so sickness is separating yourself off from good to keep the evil within. God is the Alternate to your illusions of fear. When you participate in illusions of fear you cannot extend God but withdraw your mind from illusions and you will extend God. There is no other choice. Unless you participate in something it cannot exist. And you exist because God extends Its Will to you so that you can extend God.
2. It is your participation in perceptions of hate and malice, bitterness and death, separation and suffering, and pain and loss that makes them real to you. If you do not participate in them they will be meaningless to you and you will not fear them because you will not give them your support. Where fear is gone Love must come because there are only these two alternatives in your mind. Where one appears the other disappears and the one which you participate in becomes the only one that you have. You have the one that you accept because it is the only one that you wish to have.
3. You are not participating in illusions of separation if you forgive their maker and you perceive that you are not the illusion that you made. Your forgiving separates you from your illusion of separation and releases you from it. Remember, if you participate in an illusion of separation you will believe that you are the illusion that you think you are in. And fearing it you will not want to know your own Identity because you will think that It is frightening. You will deny your Self and walk in illusions that are alien to God because God did not make them and in them you seem to be something that you are not. You will attack your Self, Which will seem to be your enemy and you will attack your mind’s perceptions as part of What you hate. There is no compromise: you are your Self or an illusion. There is no middle ground between Truth and illusion because if you are a thing that is not you, you must be an illusion and not the Truth.
4. You have made a little gap between illusions and Truth to be a “safe” place where your Self is hidden by what you have made. Here you have established a sick world for the body’s eyes to perceive. Here are the sounds and the voices that its ears were made to hear. Yet the sights and sounds that the body perceives are meaningless. The body cannot see or hear; it does not know what seeing is or what listening is for. It cannot perceive or judge or understand or know. Its eyes and ears are blind and deaf to Truth. It cannot think so it cannot have effects.
5. Nothing God created can be sick and what God has not created cannot be. Do not behold an illusion or hear what bears witness to illusions. You made the body to look on a world that is not there and to hear voices that make no real sound. But there are other sights and sounds that you can perceive and understand. The body’s eyes and ears are senses without sense and they can only report what they see and hear. It is not they that perceive but your mind perceives and puts together every senseless bit of separation as witness to the world that you want. Do not let the body’s eyes and ears perceive these countless fragments within the gap that you imagine is there in your mind and persuade you that your imaginings are real.
6. Creation is Reality because it shares the Function of Oneness throughout Itself. Reality does not depend on unconnected bits and fragments that are put together to make it Truth. There is no gap within Truth for illusions of place and time because Truth fills Everywhere and Everything and makes them Wholly One.
7. You who believe there is a little gap in your mind do not see that you are a prisoner in a world that you perceive exists there. The world that you perceive does not exist because the gap in your mind where you perceive it is not there. The gap is carefully concealed by an illusion of a world that is no more substantial than a shifting fog but the gap is nothing. There are no secrets there where terror rises from your belief in death. Look at the little gap in your mind and behold your Innocence and the emptiness of your belief in separation from God, which you will see when you have lost your fear of recognizing Love.
7. The Secret Vows
1. It is insane for you to punish the body. The body represents the gap in your mind but it is not responsible for it. The body does not judge itself or make itself what it is not. It does not seek to make pain into joy or seek for pleasure in nothingness. It does not tell you what its purpose is and it cannot understand what it is for. It cannot victimize because it has no will, no preferences, and no doubts. It does not wonder what it is and so it has no need to be competitive. It can be victimized but it cannot feel it is a victim. It does not accept a role but does what you tell it to do, without attack.
2. It is indeed senseless for you to hold the body responsible for sights it cannot see and to blame it for sounds it cannot hear. The body has no feelings to suffer your punishment of it. It behaves in the ways that you want it to but it never makes the choice of behavior. It is not born and it does not die. It aimlessly follows the path that you set for it and if you change your mind it easily goes the other way. It takes no sides and makes no judgment of the road it travels. It does not hate so it sees no gap in your mind. You can use it for hate but you cannot make it hateful.
3. The body does not know the separation that you hate and fear and loath and want. You make it to seek for separation and to be a separate thing and then you hate it, not for what it is but for the use that you have made of it. You shrink from what it sees and from what it hears and you hate its frailty and littleness. You despise its acts but not as your own, though it sees and acts for you. It hears what you want it to hear and it is frail and little by your wish. It seems to punish you so you think that it deserves your hatred for the limitations that it brings to you. But you have made it a symbol for the limitations that you want your mind to have, to see, and to keep.
4. The body represents the little bit of mind that you call your own apart from God, which is kept separate from all the rest of your Mind. You hate it but you think it is your self and that without it you will lose yourself. You make a secret vow with your perception of every other “self” that seem to walk apart from you to preserve the separateness of this “self”. This is the secret oath that you take whenever you perceive yourself attacked. You cannot suffer unless you see yourself attacked and losing by the attack. Your every pledge to sickness is unstated and unconscious but it is your promise to be hurt by something or someone outside of you and then to attack back at it or them to preserve your separation from God.
5. Sickness is anger that you take out on the body so that it will suffer pain. It is the obvious effect of the vow you make in secret to maintain a separate self with a world outside. It can have no effects if you recognize that the separation is only in your mind. When you say, “All that I perceive is in my mind” you keep God’s Promise of Oneness, not a tiny oath to be faithful to death. Heal your mind and you heal all that is in your mind.
6. Look on all that you perceive as a part of your mind, not as something separate, and you keep God’s Promise of Oneness, as God keeps this Promise with you. In your Oneness with God, God says, “You are beloved of Me and I of you, Forever. Be you as Perfect as Me because you can never be apart from Me.” You do not remember that in your Christ Mind you say, “I will”, though in that Promise God extends God to you. God reminds you of this every time that you do not participate in a perception of sickness but you let your mind be healed and unified. Your secret vows are powerless before the Will of God and you share God’s Promises. What you substitute for God’s Will is not your Will because you have promised yourself to God.
7. The Ark of Safety
1. God does not ask for anything and neither does your Christ Mind, Which is One with God. There is no lack in your Mind. An empty space or a little gap would be a lack. It is only there that you could want something that you seem to not have. A space in your Mind where God is not, a gap between God and your Christ Mind, is not the Will of Either because They are One. God’s Promise is a Promise to God’s Self and there is no Part of God that can be untrue to What God Wills. The Promise that there is no gap in God cannot be false. What can come between What is One?
2. The beautiful relationship that you have with your mind’s perceptions is a part of you because it is a Part of God. You are sick if you deny yourself your Wholeness and your Health, the Source of Help and the Call to heal. Your Christ Mind waits for your healing, as does everything your mind perceives. You are not apart from what your mind perceives because healing for your mind is One or not at all since Oneness is Where healing is. The Opposite of separation is what heals separation. There is no middle ground in any aspect of salvation; you accept it wholly or not at all. What is not separated must be One and what is One cannot be separated.
3. Either there is a gap between you and your mind’s perceptions or your mind is One. There is no in between, no other choice, and no allegiance that you can split between the two. A split allegiance means that you lack faith in both and merely sends you spinning and grasping at anything that seems to hold some promise of relief. You cannot count on just anything for stability. A body is a home like this because its foundation is not the Truth. But because it has no foundation you can see it is not your home but merely an aid to help you reach your Home, Where God abides.
4. With this as its purpose the body is healed because you do not use it to witness to your illusion of separation and disease, nor do you blame it for what it did not do. It serves to help your healing and for this purpose it cannot be sick. Because it is in your mind it cannot join a purpose that is not yours and you have chosen that it not be sick. All miracles that you experience are based on this choice and they are given to you the instant that you make it. No forms of sickness are immune because your choice cannot be made in terms of form. Your choice of sickness seems to be of form but sickness is one, as is its opposite. You are sick or you are well.
5. But never only you in a personal identity. In the world that you perceive you have an illusion of yourself as an isolated self whose thoughts do not affect what seems outside of you. When you identify with a personal self it means that you believe that you are separate from the rest of your mind, which you project outside of you as a world, and then of course you are sick. And your sickness seems to prove that you must be separate. But all it really means is that you are committed to lacking faith that only God is Real and this is sickness. The world that you perceive seems to be quite solid and substantial but a structure’s stability cannot be judged apart from its foundation. If its foundation is not solid it does not matter how much you secure the building; it will fall under the slightest pressure.
6. There is no sense in you seeking for security in a world that you made for danger and fear. The world’s weakness lies not in itself but in the frailty of the little gap in your mind where it stands. The world rests on a shadow, so why would you build your home on what will fall under the slightest weight?
7. Your Home is built on your mind’s perception of Health, Happiness, Innocence, and Everything that God has promised to you. No secret promise for separation that you have made has shaken the Foundation of your Home. Nothing can affect It and though the world will fade from your mind this Home will stand Forever because Its Strength is not within Itself alone. It is a Haven of Safety resting on God’s Promise that you are Safe in God Forever. No gap in your mind can interpose itself between this Shelter and Its Source. From here you can see the body as the learning aid that it is, its worthiness determined by the extent to which you use it to liberate your Mind from the limits of the personal self. With this Holy Purpose the body is made a home of Holiness a little while because it shares God’s Will with you.
 Present memory is remembering what you know but have denied rather than remembering the past.
 Italicized to represent a prayer.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|