|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 30: The New Beginning
1. Now your new beginning becomes the focus of this lesson plan. Your Goal is clear but now you need specific methods for attaining It. How quickly you reach It depends only on your willingness to practice every step. Each step will help a little every time you attempt it. Together these steps lead you from illusions of judgment to forgiving illusions and out of pain and fear. They are not new to you but they are more ideas than rules of thought to you yet. Now you need to practice them awhile until they are the rules by which you live. The goal is for you to make them habits so that you will have them ready for whatever need arises.
1. Rules for Decision
1. Decisions in the world that you perceive are continuously needed, although you do not always know that you are making them. But with a little practice with the ones that you do recognize a system will begin to form in your mind which will see you through the other unconscious decisions. It is not wise for you to become preoccupied with every step that you have to take. But the proper system, adopted each time you wake in the morning, will put you well ahead. If you find your resistance strong and your dedication weak you are not ready. Do not fight yourself. Instead, think about the Peace that you want throughout the day, and tell yourself that there is a way in which this day can happen. Then try to have the Peaceful day that you want.
2. 1) The day’s outlook starts with this:
“Today I will make no decisions with the personal mind.”
This means that you are choosing to not let the personal mind be the judge of what you do. It also means that you will not listen to the personal mind’s judgments of the situations where you are called upon to make a response. If you do judge these situations with the personal mind you will have set the rules for how you should react to them. Then an answer from the Holy Spirit will only produce confusion, uncertainty, and fear in your mind.
3. This is your major problem now: You make a decision with the personal mind first and then you decide to ask the Holy Spirit what to do. And what you hear from the Holy Spirit may not resolve the problem as you first saw it, which makes you afraid because it contradicts your perception. So you feel attacked and therefore angry. There are rules by which this will not happen but this will occur at first while you are learning how to hear the Holy Spirit.
4. 2) Throughout the day, at any time that you think of it and have a quiet moment of reflection, remind yourself of the Peace that you want. Think of the experience of Peace and say:
“If I make no decisions with the personal mind, this is the day that I will have.”
These two procedures practiced well will serve to let you be directed by the Holy Spirit without fear because the personal mind’s opposition will not first arise and then become a problem in itself.
5. But there will still be times when you have already let the personal mind judge what will bring you Peace. Now an answer from the Holy Spirit will provoke an attack from you unless you quickly straighten out your mind to want an answer that will really work. You can be certain that this is what has happened if you feel unwilling to have the Holy Spirit’s answer. You have let the personal mind make a decision for you and you cannot see that your request was for Real Peace. Now you need a quick restorative before you ask the Holy Spirit again.
6. 3) Remember once again the Peaceful day that you want and recognize that something has occurred that is not part of it. Then realize that you have made a request of the personal mind and that it set an answer in its terms. Then say:
“I forgot what to ask for and I forgot to ask it of the Holy Spirit.”
This cancels out the terms that the personal mind has set and lets the answer from the Holy Spirit show you that your request was for Real Peace.
7. Despite your opposition, try to observe this rule without delay because you have already gotten angry. Your fear of your request being answered in a way that is different from what the personal mind has decided it should be will gain momentum until you believe that the day that you want is the one where the personal mind gets its answers on its terms. This will destroy your day by robbing you of the Peace that you really want. This can be very hard for you to realize when you have already decided the rules that will promise you a happy day. But this decision can still be undone by simple methods that you can accept.
8. 4) If you are so unwilling to receive the Holy Spirit’s answer that you cannot even let go of your request, you can begin to change your mind with this:
“At least I can decide that I do not like what I feel now.”
This much is obvious and it paves the way for the next easy step.
9. 5) Having decided that you do not like what you feel, nothing is easier than for you to continue with:
“And so I hope I have been wrong.”
This works against your sense of opposition and it reminds you that Help is not being forced on you but that It is something that you want because you do not like the way that you feel. This tiny opening will be enough for you to go ahead with just a few more steps that you need to let yourself be helped by the Holy Spirit.
10. Now you have reached the turning point because it has occurred to you that you will gain if what you have decided with the personal mind is a mistake. Until this point is reached you will believe that your happiness depends on the personal mind being right. Now you have attained enough sense to see that you will be better off if it is wrong.
11. 6) This tiny grain of wisdom will be enough to take you further. You can see that you are not being coerced but that you merely hope to get the Peace that you want. And you can say with perfect honesty:
“I want another way to look at this situation.”
Now you have changed your mind about the day by remembering the Peace that you really want. Your day’s purpose of Peace is no longer obscured by your insane belief that you want it for the goal of making the personal self be right when it is wrong. So you are made aware that you are ready to ask the Holy Spirit because you cannot be in conflict when you ask for the Peace that you want and you see that it is Peace for Which you ask.
12. 7) This final step is your acknowledgment that you are no longer opposed to the Holy Spirit’s Help. It is a statement of an open mind, maybe not yet certain but willing to be shown:
“Perhaps there is another way to look at this situation. I cannot lose anything by asking.”
Now you can make a request of the Holy Spirit that makes sense and so the answer will make sense to you as well. You also will not fight against the answer because you see that it is you who will be helped by it.
13. It must be clear that it is easier to have a happy day if you prevent unhappiness from entering your mind at all. But this takes practice of the rules that will protect you from the ravages of fear. When this has been achieved your sorry illusion of judgment will be forever undone. In the meantime you have need for practicing the rules for its undoing. Consider again the very first of the decisions which are offered here:
14. You can begin a happy day with the determination to not make decisions with the personal mind. This seems to be a decision in itself but you cannot make decisions without either the personal mind or the Holy Spirit and the only real question is with which one you will choose to make them. This is not coercion but a simple statement of a simple fact. Whatever you decide, you make decisions with an idol or with God. You ask help of the anti-Christ or Christ in your mind and which you choose will tell you what to do.
15. Your day is not random. It is set by your choice to live it with the personal mind or with the Holy Spirit and by how the counselor that you choose perceives your happiness. You always ask advice of the personal mind or of the Holy Spirit before you decide anything. Understand this and you can see that you are not being coerced and that you have no grounds for opposing the Holy Spirit so that you can be free. There is no freedom for you from the consequences of the counselor you choose and if you think there is you must be wrong.
16. The second rule is also a fact because you and your counselor must agree on what you want before it can occur. It is this agreement that permits all things to happen. Everything is caused by you uniting your mind with either an illusion of judgment or with the Truth. Your decisions cause results because they are made by you and the counselor in your mind that you choose, for yourself and for what you perceive. What you want for your day you extend in your perception, which will be what you want it to be, and it will reinforce the role of the counselor you choose.
17. Your mind is never split in two but it seems to be. So it takes uniting your mind with the Holy Spirit for Happiness to promise that Happiness will be all that you perceive. And it takes uniting your mind with the Holy Spirit to understand that you are not an isolated personal self and to guarantee that the Joy that you want will be wholly extended to everything that your mind perceives. You will understand the basic Law of Mind’s Oneness that makes your decision making powerful and gives it all the effects that it will ever have. Your mind must be united in the Holy Spirit before you can make a decision for Peace. Let this be the one reminder that you keep in mind and you will have the day of Peace that you want and you will extend It in your perception because you have It. The personal mind’s judgment is lifted from the world of separation that you perceive by your decision for a Happy day. And as you receive It so you must extend It.
2. Freedom of Will
1. Don’t you understand that to oppose the Holy Spirit is to fight yourself? The Holy Spirit only tells you your Will; the Holy Spirit speaks for you. In the Holy Spirit’s Divinity is your Divinity and all that the Holy Spirit knows is your Knowledge, saved for you by the Holy Spirit so that you may do your Will through the Holy Spirit. God asks you to do your Will and God joins with you in doing It. God’s Oneness is not divided. Heaven Itself, Where Everything is One with you, represents your Will. All of Life is One with your Glad Consent. Every Thought God has waits for your blessing to be. God is not your enemy and God asks only that you call God “Friend”.
2. How wonderful it is to do your Will! That is Freedom. There is nothing else that can be called Freedom. You are not Free unless you do your Will. God cannot leave you, who are One with God, without What God has chosen for Itself. God ensured that you will never lose your Will when God extended the Holy Spirit to you as God’s Perfect Answer to your perception of separation from God. Hear the Holy Spirit now so that you will be reminded of God’s Love and you will learn your Will. God will not have you made a prisoner to what you don’t really want because God wills your Freedom with you. For you to oppose God is for you to make a choice against yourself and to choose limitation.
3. Look again on your “enemy”: your Christ Mind, Which you chose to hate instead of to Love. This is how hatred and a world ruled by fear arose in your perception. Now hear God speak to you through the Holy Spirit, Which is God’s Voice and your Voice, reminding you that it is not your Will to be a prisoner to fear, a slave to death, and a little creature with a little “life”. Your Will is Limitless; it is not your Will that your Will be limited. The Holy Spirit in you is One with God in Creation. Remember God, Which created you and Which through you created Everything. Everything in Creation gives you thanks because it is by your Will that It exists. Heaven is filled with Love by your Will.
4. You have no cause for anger over perceptions that only wait for your blessing to be set free from your mind. If you are limited then God is limited because what you do to What is One with God you do to God. Do not think that God wants to limit you who are co-Creator of Reality with God. God keeps your Will Eternally Limitless. Your mind awaits the Freedom that you will extend to its perceptions when you recognize that you are Free. You will not forgive your perceptions until you have forgiven God, Which gave your Will to you. It is by your Will that your mind and its perceptions are set free and you cannot be Free apart from God because you share God’s Holy Will.
5. God turns to you to ask you to heal your perceptions because your Mind is One and It is healed and saved as One. Your Freedom and your Will extend into your perceptions and this is how you learn that death has no power over you. It is your Will to heal your mind and because you extend your Will to your perceptions your mind is healed. Now you have forgiven God because you have looked on what your mind perceives as part of you.
3. Beyond All Idols
1. Idols take specific form but your Will, being Limitless, is Everywhere. Your Will has no form and It is not content being expressed in form. Idols are limits. They are your belief that there are forms that will bring you happiness and that by limiting yourself you attain everything. It is as if you say, “I have no need of Everything. I want just this little thing and it will be like everything to me.” This must fail to satisfy you because it is your Will that Everything be yours. Choose idols and you ask for loss; choose Truth and Everything is yours.
2. It is not form that you seek. There is no form that can substitute for God’s Love or for all the Love within your Divinity. No idol has the power to substitute for Oneness or to make the Limitless limited. You do not want an idol; it is not your Will to have one. When you decide on the form of what you want you reduce your Will to a specific form and see It in an idol. But this can never be your Will because what is One with Everything cannot be content with small ideas and little things.
3. Behind your search for idols is your yearning for Completion. Wholeness does not have a form because It is Limitless. When you seek for a special person or thing it means that you believe that you are lacking and that you need some form to add to you and make you complete in a way that you like. The purpose of an idol is that you not look beyond it to the true source of your sense that you are incomplete: Your belief that you have made your separation from God real. Only if this were true would you be alone and lacking and then it would be necessary for you to search for wholeness outside of yourself.
4. It is never the idol that you really want. The experience of Wholeness that you think that an idol offers to you is What you want and you have the right to ask for It. It is not possible that Wholeness can be denied to you because your Will to be Complete is God’s Will and this is given to you by you being God’s Will. God does not know form and God cannot answer you in terms that do not have any meaning. Your Will will not be satisfied with empty forms that are made to fill a gap that is not there. This is not what you want. God’s Oneness does not give power to separate people or things to make Itself Whole. There is no idol that you can call on to give you What you already have in your Oneness with God.
5. Completion is your Function in your Oneness with God. You do not have to seek for It at all. Beyond your idols is your Holy Will to be What you are. “More than whole” is a meaningless idea. If you could be changed or reduced to form and limited to what you are not then you would not be One with God. But you cannot give part of yourself away and you don’t need any idol to be yourself. An idol is not Whole and it cannot make Whole. But what you really ask for cannot be denied to you. Your Will is granted, not in a form that will never content you, but in the Whole, Complete, and Lovely Thought of God that you are.
6. What God doesn’t know does not exist and What God does know exists Forever, Changelessly. A thought endures for as long as the mind that thinks it and in the Mind of God there is no ending, nor a time in which you, God’s Thought, is absent or can suffer and change. God’s Thought is not born and It cannot die. It shares the attributes of Its Thinker and It has no life apart from Its Thinker. The thoughts that you think, even in seeming separation, are in your mind, as you are in the Mind of God, Which thinks of you. There are no separate parts in God’s Mind; It is Forever One, Eternally United, and at Peace.
7. Your Thoughts of God seem to come and go for you but all this means is that you are sometimes aware of Them and sometimes unaware of Them. A Thought of God you forget is born again to you when It returns to your awareness but It did not die when you forgot It. It was always there, only you were unaware of It. God’s Thought of you is Perfectly Unchanged by your forgetting God. It will always be exactly the same as It was before the time when you forgot It, It is unchanged in the interval of time when you forget It, and It will be just the same when you remember It.
8. Your Thoughts of God are far beyond all change and They exist Forever. They do not wait for birth but for your remembering and your welcome. God’s Thought of you is Unchangeable and Eternal, set in Heaven but unknown to you when you think that you are outside of Heaven. God’s Thought of you is Still and Lovely through all Eternity. There is no time in Which It is not here; no instant when It fades or is less Perfect.
9. Know God and know God’s Thought of you because God is the Eternity that holds you Safe. The Perfect Purity of God’s Thought of you does not depend on whether or not you are aware of It. God’s Mind encompasses Its Thought of you and Softly holds It within. It is as far from the world as the world is from Heaven. Your idols, not distance or time, keep God’s Thought invisible to you.
10. Beyond all of your idols is God’s Thought of you, completely unaffected by the turmoil and terror of the world that you perceive, your illusion of birth and death, and the myriad forms that fear takes for you. Undisturbed, God’s Thought of you remains exactly as It has always been, surrounded by a Stillness so Complete that no conflict comes even remotely near. It rests in Certainty and Perfect Peace. Here your One Reality is kept Safe, completely unaware of the world of idol worship that you made, and which does not know God. In Perfect Sureness of Its Changelessness and of Its Rest in Its Eternal Home, God’s Thought of you has never left God’s Mind. God’s Thought of you knows God as God knows It is in God.
11. Where could God’s Thought of you exist but in you? Your Reality is not separate from you, nor is It in a world that Reality cannot know. Outside of you there is no Eternity, Changelessness, or Reality. Your Mind is in Heaven because There your Mind is One with God, without end. You do not have two realities, only One, and you cannot be aware of more than one. An idol or God’s Thought of you is your Reality. Do not forget that idols hide What you are, not from God’s Mind, but from yours. Your Reality still exists; God has never changed. But you who are One with God are unaware of your Reality.
4. The Truth Behind Illusions
1. In your identification with a personal self you attack what does not satisfy you and so you do not see that you made it up. When you fight you always fight your illusions because the Truth beyond them in your mind is so Lovely, Still, and Gentle that if you were aware of It you would entirely forget defensiveness and rush to Truth’s Embrace. The Truth can never be attacked and you knew this when you made idols because you made idols so that you could deny this. You only attack false ideas, never the Truth. All idols are the false ideas that you made to fill the gap that you think is there between yourself and Truth. You attack idols for the things that you think they represent but the Truth that lays beyond them you cannot attack.
2. The wearying, dissatisfying gods that you make are like children’s toys. A child is frightened when a jack-in-the-box springs open or when a soft, silent stuffed bear squeaks when she grabs it. The “rules” that the child has made for boxes and stuffed bears have failed her and have broken her “control” of her environment. The child is afraid because she thought that her rules protected her. Now she must learn that boxes and stuffed bears did not deceive her or break any rules or make her world chaotic and unsafe. She was mistaken about what made her safe and she thought that it had left her.
3. The gap that you perceive in your mind between you and Truth is filled with “toys” in countless forms and each one seems to break the rules that you set for it. But they never were what you thought they were. They may appear to break your “rules” for safety because your rules were wrong. You are never endangered. You can laugh at the “frightening” things of the world that you perceive, just as a child learns that her toys are not a threat to her. But just like the child who likes to play with her toys, you still perceive the world obeys rules that you made for your enjoyment. So there are still rules of yours that can be broken and when they are they frighten you. But are you at the mercy of the world that you made? Can it represent a threat to you?
4. Reality observes God’s Law of Oneness, not the rules that you set. It is God’s Law that guarantees your Safety. All the illusions that you believe about yourself and your world do not obey any laws. For a little while they seem to dance according to the rules that you set for them but then they fall and cannot rise again. They are only toys, so do not grieve for them. Their dancing never brought you Joy but neither were they things to frighten you or to make you “safe” when they obeyed your rules. You do not need to cherish them or to attack them but merely to perceive them as meaningless. See meaning in any one of them and you give meaning to them all. See no meaning in any of them and they cannot touch you.
5. Appearances deceive because they are appearances and not Reality. Do not dwell on them in any form. They only obscure Reality for you and they frighten you because they hide the Truth. Do not attack what you made to deceive yourself because then you prove that you have been deceived. Your attacking has the power to make illusions seem real to you but what it makes is nothing. You cannot be made afraid by a power that has no real effects at all. Only your illusion of yourself is frightened by your illusions. Look calmly at your “toys” of attack and understand that they are idols that dance to your vain desire to make the illusions that you attack real to you. Do not worship them because they are not there. But you forget this when you attack. In your Oneness with God you do not need to defend yourself against your illusions. Your idols do not threaten you at all. Your only mistake is that you think that they are real. What can the power of illusion do to you?
6. Appearances deceive you only when you want to be deceived. But you can make a simple choice that will forever place you far beyond deception. You do not need to be concerned with how this will be done because this is far beyond what you can understand yet. But you will understand that mighty changes have come about when you decide one very simple thing: The Completion that you want will not come from an idol. This is how you are freed of idols.
7. Your salvation is a paradox indeed! It can only be a Happy Illusion. It asks you to forgive all the things that no one ever did, to overlook what is not there, and to not look on the unreal as Reality. You are only asked to let your Will be done and to no longer seek for what you do not want. You are asked to let yourself be free of illusions of what you never were and to no longer seek to substitute idle wishes for the Will of God.
8. Here your illusion of separation from God starts to fade and disappear from your mind because here you begin to perceive the gap that is not there between you and God without the toys of terror that you made. This is all that is asked of you. Be glad that salvation asks so little; it asks for nothing in Reality. Even in illusions It asks only that your forgiving be your substitute for fear. This is the only rule for you to have Happy Illusions. The gap is emptied of your toys of fear and then you see illusions for the unreality that they are. Illusions are for nothing and you who are One with God can have no real need of them. They do no offer you a single thing that you can really want. You are delivered from illusions by your Will and restored to What you are. God’s Plan for your salvation is only a means to extend God to you.
5. The Only Purpose
1. True Perception is the state of mind in which you see your forgiving your perception of separation from God as the only purpose for the world that you perceive. Fear is then no longer your goal for the world because escape from guilt is your aim. You perceive the value of forgiving and it takes the place of idols, which you no longer seek because you do not value their “gifts”. You do not set rules with the personal mind and you do not make demands of anyone or anything to twist and fit into your illusion of fear. Instead, you wish to understand everything as it is and you recognize that you must first forgive the personal mind’s perception of everything and then you will understand it.
2. In your world of separation your “understanding” is acquired through separation but your True Perception makes it clear to you that your understanding is lost through separation. Through your True Perception you see it is folly to pursue separation as a goal. You do not want idols because you understand that separation is the only cause of your pain in any form. You are not tempted by separation’s vain appeal because you perceive that you do not want suffering and death. You have grasped the possibility of Freedom and you welcome It and you understand the means to gain It. The world that you perceive becomes a place of hope for you because its only purpose is to be a place where your hope of Happiness is fulfilled. And nothing that you perceive in the world stands outside of your hope because your mind is united in the belief that your purpose of forgiving your perception of separation from God is one in which everything that you perceive in the world must share if your hope be more than an illusion.
3. At this point you do not remember Heaven quite yet because your forgiving still has a purpose. Yet you are certain that you will go beyond forgiving and you remain in the world until your forgiving is made perfect. You have no wish for anything but this and fear has dropped away from you because you are united in your purpose within yourself. There is a hope of Happiness in you so sure and constant that you can barely stay a little longer in the world. But you are glad to stay until Oneness is all that you perceive and your entire mind is healed and ready to rise up to God with you. This is how you are made ready for the step taken by God in which all forgiveness is left behind.
4. The final step is God’s because after your forgiving is complete only your Oneness with God remains. You cannot understand this outside of Heaven because understanding this is Heaven Itself. Even your True Perception’s purpose is outside of Oneness and Eternity but fear is gone from It because Its purpose is forgiveness, not idolatry. So you are prepared to be yourself and to remember that you who are One with God know Everything that God understands and you understand It Perfectly with God.
5. True Perception falls short of Perfect Understanding because Perfect Understanding is God’s Own Purpose, completely extended to you and Perfectly Fulfilled. But True Perception is a state of mind in which you have learned how easily idols go when you still perceive them but you do not want them. Your mind willingly lets idols go when you understand that they are nothing, nowhere, and without a purpose. Only then can you see that your perception of separation from God and the guilt it inspires is without a purpose and is meaningless.
6. So True Perception gently brings the world’s real purpose of your forgiving your perception of separation from God into your awareness to replace the goal of separation and guilt. And all that stood between your image of yourself and What you really are is Joyfully washed away by your forgiving. But God does not need to extend God to you again for you to be One with God. The gap between you and the part of your mind that you perceive as outside of you was never there. And What you know in your Oneness with God you still know.
7. When you forgave your perception of separation by extending your Identity to your perception of another in the world that seems outside of you, you brought yourself to the edge of True Perception. You might still look back at the world of separation and think that you see an idol that you want but your path has been set surely away from idols and toward Reality. When you joined your mind you joined in Christ and you will see your Christ Mind fully reflected in your perception before you wholly remember God. You will not remember God until you have reached beyond forgiving to the Love of God. You will accept the Love of your Christ Mind first and then your Knowledge that your Christ Mind and God are One will come.
8. How light and easy is your step across the narrow boundaries of the world of fear when you have recognized your Christ Mind! With you is Everything that you need to walk away from fear forever with perfect confidence and to go straight to the outskirts of Heaven Itself. Your Christ Mind has been waiting for your acknowledgement. Now that it has come It will not delay in showing you the way. Your Christ Mind’s Blessing lies on you as surely as God’s Blessing lies on your Christ Mind. Your Christ Mind’s gratitude toward you is beyond your understanding because you have lifted the limitations that you imposed on It and with your Christ Mind in your awareness you can go Home to God.
9. An ancient Self-hate is passing from your perception and with it goes all hatred and fear from your mind. Do not look back any longer because What lies ahead is all that you have ever really wanted in your heart. Give up the world of separation but not in sacrifice because you never really wanted it. All the happiness that you have sought in the world has only brought you pain and you have bought every moment of contentment with suffering. Joy has no cost. It is your Sacred Right and you never pay for Happiness. Speed on your way to God in honesty and do not let your experiences in the world that you perceive deceive you in retrospect. They were not free from bitter cost and joyless consequences.
10. Look back in honesty and when you are tempted to believe in an idol think of this:
There was never a time when an idol brought me anything except guilt. All were bought at the cost of pain and the price was paid by my entire mind.
Be merciful in your perceptions then, and do not choose an idol thoughtlessly because you will pay the price with your entire mind. You will be delayed when you look back and you will not perceive that your Christ Mind is here. Look forward and walk with confidence and with a happy heart that beats in hope instead of pounds with fear.
11. The Will of God lies Forever in your joined mind. Until you joined your mind you thought that God was your enemy. But by joining your mind with its own perceptions, which seemed outside of it, you learned your Will is One. The Will of God must reach to your awareness and you cannot forget for long that It is your own.
6. The Justification for Forgiveness
1. Your anger is never justified; attack does not have a foundation. It is with these ideas that your escape from fear begins and will be made complete. Here you find True Perception in place of illusions of terror. It is in these ideas that your forgiving rests and you find it to be natural. You are not asked to offer pardon where attack is justified. That would mean that separation from God is real and that you are being asked to overlook reality. That is not pardon. You would be assuming that by responding in a way that is not justified your pardon is the answer to an attack that is real. But your pardon would actually be inappropriate by being granted where it is not due.
2. Your pardon is always justified; it has a sure Foundation. You are not asked to forgive the unforgivable or to overlook a real attack that calls for punishment. Your salvation does not ask that you make unnatural responses which are inappropriate in light of What is Real. It asks that you respond appropriately to what is not real by not perceiving it as though it is real. If attack were real and you forgave it you would be giving unjustified pardon and you would be sacrificing your rights. But you are only asked to see forgiving as your natural reaction to “attack” that comes from your error of perceiving separation as real and that is therefore your call for help. Your forgiving your perceptions of separation is your only sane response to them; it keeps your Rights from being attacked.
3. This understanding is the only change of your mind that lets Real Perception take the place of your illusions of terror. Fear arises when you think that attack is justified and if attack had a real foundation your pardon would not have a real foundation. You achieve Real Perception when you perceive that the basis for your forgiving is quite real and is fully justified. While you regard your forgiving as an unwarranted gift it upholds the guilt that it is supposed to “forgive”. Your unjustified forgiving is another form of attack and this is all that you ever can give in your identification with a personal mind. Sometimes the personal mind pardons “sinners” but it upholds their “sin” as real so they do not really merit the forgiveness that it gives.
4. This is the false forgiving that the personal mind employs to keep your sense of separation from God alive. If unmerited pardon is what forgiving is then it means that you are guilty of separating from God and you then can’t help but fear God. But you are saved from this dilemma by forgiving your perception of separation and learning that it has not occurred. Your mind believes Its Source is like itself. If you can look out at your mind’s perceptions and forgive them you teach yourself that God’s forgiveness of you is your right. And if you do not think that your perceptions merit a frightening judgment then you will not think that you do. You will believe that you merit as little or as much punishment as you think what you perceive merits.
5. Recognize that your forgiving is merited and it will heal you. Your forgiving gives your miracles the strength to overlook your illusions and this is how you learn that you are forgiven, too. You can overlook every appearance. If there was even one that you could not overlook it would mean that some forms of separation are beyond forgiveness and that some errors are Unchangeable and Eternal and beyond correction or escape. There would be at least one mistake that had the power to undo Creation and to make a world that could replace It and destroy the Will of God. Only if this was possible could there be some appearances that could withstand the miracle and not be healed by it.
6. Your belief that some forms of sickness and joylessness cannot be healed by your forgiving them is sure proof that you wish for idolatry. This belief means that you are not yet prepared to let go of all idols because you prefer to keep some. You will think that some appearances are not appearances but real. Do not be deceived by the meaning of your fixed belief that some appearances are harder for you to look past than others. It always means that you think that your own forgiveness of yourself must be limited. You have set yourself a goal of partial pardon and limited escape from guilt. This can only be false forgiveness of yourself and everything that your mind perceives.
7. Either the miracle can heal all forms of sickness or it cannot heal at all. Its purpose cannot be to judge which forms of sickness are real and which appearances are true because if one appearance cannot be healed then one illusion must be a part of Truth. And you will not be able to escape all guilt but only some of it. You must entirely forgive all of your mind’s illusions or you keep an image of yourself that is not Whole and you remain afraid to look within and find escape from every idol there. Your salvation rests on your faith that there cannot be some forms of guilt that you cannot forgive and so there cannot be some appearances that have replaced the Truth about you.
8. Look on your relationship with another who seems outside of you with a willingness to see it as it is. Do not keep any part of your perception of the other outside of your willingness that it be healed. For you to heal is for you to be made Whole in your awareness again and Wholeness can have no missing parts that are left outside. Your own forgiveness rests on recognizing this and on your being glad that there are not some forms of sickness which miracles must lack the power to heal.
9. Your Christ Mind is Perfect or It couldn’t be One with God. You will not know your Christ Mind if you think that you do not merit escape from guilt and all of its forms and consequences that you perceive. To know the Truth about yourself there is only this way to think of your mind and all that it perceives:
“Thank you God for my Christ Mind’s Perfection.
In my Christ’s Glory I see my own.”
Here is your Joyful statement that there are no forms of separation that can overcome the Will of God and your glad acknowledgment that you have not succeeded in making illusions real by your wish. This is only a simple statement of the Truth.
10. Look on your Holy relationship with hope and you will understand that you can not make an error that can change the Truth in your mind. It is not difficult for you to overlook mistakes that do not have effects but when you see an idol you are not forgiving. In specialness you have made an idol of your relationship and it is a sign of death. Then it cannot be your salvation and it seems as though God is wrong about you rather than that you have been wrong about the relationship that has been given to you for your salvation and deliverance.
7. The New Interpretation
1. God has not left the meaning of the world that you perceive to the personal mind’s interpretation because if God did it would have no meaning. Meaning that reflects Truth cannot constantly change. The Holy Spirit looks on the world as having the one unchanging purpose of your forgiveness and every situation that you perceive in the world is in accord with it. Only if the world’s goal could change with each situation could each situation be open to an interpretation which is different each time you think of it. Then you would add a new element into the “script” you write for every minute in your day and everything that happens now would mean something else later.
2. Your “scripts” only reflect your plans for what the day should mean according to the personal mind’s goal. So you judge disaster and success, advance and retreat, gain and loss according to the personal mind’s script of the moment. The fact that the events have no meaning in themselves is demonstrated by the ease with which you can change your judgment of a situation based on your ongoing experience. Looking back you see a different meaning for a situation than you saw at the time it occurred. But what you are really doing is showing yourself that there was no real meaning there at all. You assigned meaning according to your present goal, which can change and which will shift meaning for the situation when it does.
3. Only a constant purpose can endow events with stable meaning but it must accord one meaning to all events. If each event is given a different meaning it must mean that each has a different purpose and your confusion then becomes their meaning. Your perception cannot be in constant flux and allow for stability of meaning anywhere. Fear is a judgment that is never justified. Its presence means that you wrote a fearful script but not that what you fear has a fearful meaning in itself.
4. Your perception can only be stabilized through a common purpose for all that you perceive, with one interpretation being given to the entire world and to your experiences in the world. In the common purpose of your forgiveness you extend one judgment to everyone and everything that you perceive. In fact, you do not have to judge because you realize that everything has the same meaning and you are glad to see it everywhere. Your forgiveness cannot change because you want to perceive it everywhere, unchanged by circumstances, so you extend it to all events to perceive stability.
5. To escape from judgment yourself you only need to realize that all things have the one purpose of your forgiveness, which you share with them. Nothing in the world can be opposed to this purpose because it belongs to everything as it belongs to you. In a single purpose your idea of sacrifice ends because there cannot be different purposes where some things gain and other things lose. There is no sacrifice apart from the idea that gain and loss are possible and this is the idea that makes for different goals and shifting perceptions and meanings. In one united goal of forgiveness loss is impossible because your willingness to forgive all that you perceive makes your interpretation stabilize and last.
6. True Communication cannot be established in your mind while you perceive things in the world as symbols that mean different things. The Holy Spirit’s goal of forgiveness gives one interpretation that is meaningful for your mind and for all that it perceives so that you can join in True Communication with everything in your perception and it with you. When you see everything as a symbol of one meaning there is no sacrifice of meaning for you. Your sacrifice of Oneness has resulted in your loss of the ability to see relationships among events in your perception. Looked at separately, events have no meaning or purpose in themselves because they can only be understood in relationship with other events. In any thought of separation there is no meaning and events are part of a distorted script that is forever unintelligible. This is not True Communication. Your illusions are but the senseless, isolated scripts that you write with a personal mind. Do not look to illusions of separation for meaning. You can only extend illusions of forgiveness, which mean the same thing for your mind and all that it perceives.
7. Do not interpret from the personal mind because the separation it sees means nothing. Everything will shift in what it stands for and you will believe that the world that you perceive is unstable and dangerous. But it is only your interpretations that are lacking in stability because they are not in line with the Truth in you. This is a state that seems so unsafe that you must be afraid. Do not continue this way. The Holy Spirit is your one Interpreter and through the Holy Spirit’s use of everything that you perceive as a symbol for your forgiveness your mind is joined again in True Communication.
8. Changeless Reality
1. Appearances deceive because they can change. Reality is Changeless, so It does not deceive at all. If you fail to see beyond appearances then you are deceived. Everything that the body sees will change and yet you think it is real and after it changes you will still think it is real. So “reality” seems to be form and changeability but actually Reality is Changeless. It is this that makes It Real and separates It off from appearances. Reality must transcend all form to be Itself. It cannot change.
2. Your experience of miracles is your salvation from appearances because it demonstrates that all appearances can change because they are appearances and they do not have the Changelessness of Reality. Changelessness is in your mind, beyond appearances and deception. It is obscured by the changing perceptions that you perceive as reality. Your Happy Illusion takes the form of perfect health, freedom from all lack, and safety from disaster. Your experience of miracles is proof that you are not bound by loss or suffering in any form because they can be so easily changed. This demonstrates that they were never real and that they could not stem from Reality. Reality is Changeless and Its Effects cannot be altered. Appearances are shown to be unreal because they change.
3. When you are tempted by anything in the world it is only your wish to make illusions real. It does not seem to be this but it is your assertion that some idols have a powerful appeal that makes them harder for you to resist than those that you do not want to be real. When you are tempted by the world it is nothing more than your prayer that your experience of the miracle not touch some of your illusions to keep their unreality obscure to you and to make them real to you. Heaven does not answer this prayer and a miracle cannot be given to you to heal only the appearances that you do not like. You have established limits and what you ask for is given to you but not by God, Which does not know limits. You have limited yourself.
4. Reality is Changeless. Your experience of miracles shows you only that the illusions that you have interposed between Reality and your awareness of Reality are unreal and that they do not interfere with Reality at all. Your belief that some appearances are beyond the hope of change means that you do not consistently perceive miracles because you have asked that miracles not heal all of your illusions. You will be given a miracle when you want healing but no miracle can be given to you unless you want it. Choose what the personal mind wants to heal and the Holy Spirit is not free to bestow healing on you. When you are tempted by illusions you deny Reality and you become the willing slave of what you chose instead.
5. Reality is Changeless, so a miracle is here for you to heal all things that change in a happy form that is devoid of fear. This perception will be given to you for your relationship with another who seems outside of you but not while you want it otherwise in some respects. This means that you do not want your relationship healed and whole. The Christ in your perception is Perfect. Is it this that you want to look on? Then do not hold onto any illusions of the other that you prefer to see instead of your Christ Mind. You will see your Christ Mind when you let your Christ Mind come to you. And when you see your Christ Mind you will be certain that you are like It because your Christ Mind is the Changelessness in you and in your mind’s perception.
6. Your Christ Mind is What you will look upon when you decide that there is not one appearance that you want to hold onto in place of What your Mind is. Do not let any temptation to prefer an illusion allow uncertainty to enter your mind. Do not be guilty or afraid when you are tempted by illusions and do not give illusions the power to replace the Changeless in your perception. Every appearance will fade if you request a miracle instead. There is no pain from which you will not be free if you let your Christ Mind be What It is. Why do you fear to see your Christ Mind? You only behold yourself when you see It. As your perceptions are healed you will be freed of guilt because the Appearance of Christ is your own.
 For example, you perceive that someone is treating you unfairly. You ask the Holy Spirit to show you how to “handle” this person and the Holy Spirit reminds you that it is not the person who needs to be corrected but it’s your perception of the situation that needs to be corrected. Since the Holy Spirit is not answering you on the personal mind’s terms – how to handle the “unfair” person - you get angry until you recognize that your request was designed to set a limit on the response that you would accept. The Holy Spirit’s answer, in turn, shows you that your real request was “Show me how I can be at Peace again.”
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|