|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 8: The Journey Back
1. The Direction of the Curriculum
1. Knowing God is not your motivation for learning this course; Peace is. You are not at Peace as long as you are conflicted and Peace is required before you can know God again because Peace is the State of
2. The personal mind may seem to distract you from learning Peace but the personal mind does not have the power to distract you unless you want it to. The personal mindís voice is not real but you cannot expect it to say, ďI am not real.Ē You are not asked to dispel this voice without the Holy Spiritís Voice to replace it. You are asked to evaluate the personal mindís ideas in terms of their results to you. When you do not want them because they deprive you of Peace you will let them go.
3. Every time you respond to the personal mind you will experience conflict and you will lack Peace. But this is a conflict with no opponent and you must recognize this to be at Peace. The part of your mind that you have given to perceiving a world that is attacking you is part of your Peace and you are giving up your Peace to interpret this world as real. You cannot have Peace that you give up; you keep Peace in your awareness only by extending It from your awareness. When you give up Peace you are excluding yourself from It and you do not remember that you have It. This state is so alien to Godís Oneness that you cannot understand the Peace of God.
4. What you have learned through the personal mind has not made you happy so there must be something wrong with its lessons. On this basis alone you should question its lessons. The goal of learning is change. Are you satisfied with the changes your past learning has brought you? If you are not satisfied with what you have learned then you must not have gotten what you wanted from the lessons.
5. The Holy Spiritís lesson plan is the opposite of the lesson plan that you have made for yourself through the personal mind, and so is its outcome. If the outcome of your plan has made you unhappy and you want another outcome then you must change to the Holy Spiritís lesson plan. Your first change must be a total change in the Holy Spiritís direction because a meaningful lesson plan must be consistent. You have been following two teachers with diametrically opposed lesson plans that cannot be integrated and that interfere with each other. You have experienced vacillation but not change because you have not made a choice of teacher and you are reluctant to give up one for the other even though the personal mind is not real. Your conflicted lesson plan teaches you that both the personal mind and the Holy Spirit are real, leaving you with no rational basis for real choice.
6. You must fully recognize the senselessness of your lesson plan before you will be willing to make a change in direction. You cannot learn simultaneously from two teachers that totally disagree about everything. It is possible to learn entirely different things in entirely different ways about entirely different things but you are learning about yourself. Your Reality is not affected by either the personal mind or the Holy Spirit but by listening to both your mind is split about what your reality is.
2. The Difference Between Imprisonment and Freedom
1. The rational basis for your choice of which teacher to follow is the teacher which knows your reality and that is the Holy Spirit. The lesson you must learn is how to remove your obstacles to God and you can only learn this from the Holy Spirit. The personal mind does not know what it is trying to teach because it is trying to teach you what you are and it does not know What you are. It is only an expert in confusion and this is what it teaches. Even if you could totally disregard the Holy Spirit - which is impossible - you would learn nothing from the personal mind because it knows nothing.
2. There is no reason for you to choose the personal mind as your teacher and your total disregard of what it teaches is the only thing that makes sense. The personal mind is not the teacher that will teach you that you are One with God. The personal mind has never given you a sensible answer to anything and your own experience with it should disqualify it as your teacher. Learning is Joyful for you when it leads you along your Natural Path and develops your awareness of What you already have. When you are taught against your Nature you lose yourself and limit your Will. But your Will is in your Nature and It cannot go against your Nature.
3. When your Will is Free you donít learn from the personal mind because it does not exist for you. That is why the personal mind is a denial of your Free Will. God never coerces you because Godís Will is your Will. The Holy Spirit teaches only in accordance with Godís Will but Godís Will is not a lesson; It is What you are. The Holy Spiritís lesson is that your Will and Godís Will are One. This undoes everything that the personal mind tries to teach you. Not only does the direction of the lesson plan have to be consistent but the content of the lesson plan must be consistent as well.
4. Through the personal mind you teach yourself that you want to oppose Godís Will. This is an impossible lesson that is unnatural to you and your trying to learn it limits your Will. It makes you afraid of your Free Will because your Free Will will undo the limits that you are trying to learn. The Holy Spirit opposes any limits on your Will because It knows your Will is Godís Will. The Holy Spirit leads you along a path to your Free Will and teaches you how to disregard everything that the personal mind uses to hold you back.
5. The Holy Spirit teaches you the difference between pain and Joy, which is the same thing as saying It teaches you the difference between limitation and Freedom. You cannot make this distinction without the Holy Spirit because you have taught yourself through the personal mind that limitation is freedom. You believe them to be the same and you cannot tell them apart. You cannot ask the part of your mind that taught you that they are the same to teach you that they are different.
6. The Holy Spiritís direction is your freedom from limitations and Its Goal is God. The Holy Spirit cannot conceive of God without you because it is not Godís Will to be without you. When you learn that your Will is Godís Will you will understand that you cannot will to be without God anymore than God can will to be without you. This is your Freedom and Joy. Deny this and you deny Godís Wholeness because you are Part of God.
7. Godís Will is Limitless and all Power and Glory lie within It. Its Strength and Love and Peace are Boundless. There are no boundaries in Godís Will because It extends Everywhere and encompasses Everything because It is One. Being One with Everything, Everything is Part of Godís Will. Because God extends only God you are like God. You are Part of God, Which is all Power and Glory, and therefore you are as Limitless as God.
8. The Holy Spirit appeals to the Power and Glory within you to restore Godís Oneness to your awareness. Its appeal, then, is to Oneness to acknowledge that It is One. When you acknowledge Oneness you automatically bring this acknowledgement to all that your mind perceives because you have acknowledged your Whole Mind. By this recognition you extend your awareness of Oneness in place of the world of separation. The awareness of God runs easily and happily through your entire mind in answer to the Holy Spiritís Call for God. This is your natural response to the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit is the Voice for you and for your Extension of God.
3. The Holy Encounter
1. Glory to God and to you because you are One with God. Ask for Glory and It is yours because you already have It. Ask to know God and you will learn that you are One with God. If you want to know God you will learn how to accept God because your decision to learn of God is your decision to listen to the Holy Spirit, Which comes from God and can therefore teach you how to accept God. There are no real limits on your mind and so there are no limits on your ability to learn of God. There is no limit on the Holy Spiritís teaching because the Holy Spiritís Purpose is to teach you. This is the Holy Spiritís Joy and your Joy.
2. Only your fulfilling Godís Will perfectly will bring you total Peace and Joy. Fulfilling Godís Will is the only Experience that you can fully experience because the only Experience in God is God. But your wish for other experiences blocks Godís Will for you. Godís Will cannot be forced on you because It is an Experience that you must be totally willing to accept. The Holy Spirit understands how to teach you this but the personal mind does not. That is why you need the Holy Spirit and why God gave the Holy Spirit to you. Only the Holy Spiritís Teaching will free your will to unite with Godís Will and the Power and Glory that are yours in Oneness with God. Power and Glory are the natural outcome of your Being in God.
3. Godís Will and your Will are One through extension. Oneness results in the extension if Itself through the Will to be One. This is Creation. For God to extend God, God must give you the ability to extend God. You are One with God and It is your Holy Function to extend God without limit. Only the Holy Spirit, Which is of God, can teach you how to do this.
4. In every encounter with others in the world that you perceive remember to extend Godís Love to make it a holy encounter. Your perception of, behavior toward, and thoughts about others reflect what you believe about yourself. Do not forget that in others you will find yourself or lose yourself based on whether or not you extend Godís Love in place of the personal mindís projections. Whenever you meet others in the world that you perceive you are given another chance to remember that you are One with God so do not leave them without extending Godís Love to receive Godís Love. The Holy Spirit is always with you so you can remember What you really are.
5. Whether you are listening to the Holy Spirit or the personal mind the goal of the lesson is always, ďKnow thyself.Ē There is nothing else for you to seek and you are always looking for the Power and the Glory that you think that you have lost. Whenever you are with others you have the opportunity to reclaim your Power and Glory by extending Godís Love in place of the personal mindís projections. The personal mind will tell you that your Power and Glory are in the personal mind alone but the Holy Spirit teaches you that everything that you perceive is in your mind. When you are with others you are teaching yourself what you are. You will experience pain or Joy, limitation or Freedom depending on whether you are following the personal mind or the Holy Spirit. Your responsibility to yourself is to remember that you are One with God.
6. Godís Oneness is not limited to the personal mind and you cannot find yourself in the isolation of the personal mind. To find yourself you cannot listen to the personal mind because its purpose is to defeat its own goal of finding you. But the personal mind does not realize this is what it is doing because it does not know anything. But you can know this is what it is doing by looking at the limits that the personal mind places on you. This is your one responsibility because once you do look at what the personal mind is doing you will accept correction of your perception of separation from God. You will look on your error of believing that when you look on others you are seeing something outside your mind and you will make it a holy encounter with your Self instead by extending Godís Love in place of the personal mindís projections.
7. God is Whole and you who are One with God can only encounter part of yourself. Godís Power and Glory are Everywhere and you are not excluded from Them. The personal mind teaches that your strength is in a personal self alone but the Holy Spirit teaches that all Strength is in God and therefore It is in you. God does not Will that you suffer for an error so God gave you the Holy Spirit to undo your error. Through Godís Power and Glory within you your mistaken decisions are undone completely, releasing you from every limiting thought anywhere. Your mistaken decisions do not have power because they are not true and the limitations they seem to produce are no more real than they are.
8. Power and Glory belong to God alone, and so do you. God extends What belongs to God and What belongs to God is God. God is Everything. Extending yourself in your Oneness with God is the Function that God extends to you. By fulfilling your Function perfectly you will remember both What you have and What you are in God. You cannot be powerless to extend God because extending God is your Power. Glory is Godís gift to you because Glory is What God is. Remember What you are by seeing Godís Glory everywhere.
4. The Gift of Freedom
1. Godís Will for you is complete Peace and Joy and when you are not experiencing Them it is because you are refusing Godís Will. Godís Will is Forever Changeless. When you are not at Peace it is because you do not believe that you are in God. But God is All. Godís Peace is Complete and you are included in It. Godís Law governs you and you cannot exempt yourself from It though you can choose to not follow It. But when you do make this choice you feel lonely and helpless because you are denying yourself Everything.
2. Your split mind denies itself Everything by separating from Everything so the Holy Spirit comes into your mind to bring Everything to your awareness again. The personal mind is your illusion of isolation maintained by your fear of the very loneliness that is the personal mind. The Holy Spirit is with you always, even to the end of your perception of a world, and that is why your loneliness is gone. The Holy Spiritís Purpose is to undo your perception of a world of separation, not by attack, but just by being What the Holy Spirit is. Since the Holy Spirit is with you everywhere you can undo the world in your mind. Remembering the Holy Spirit is remembering your Self and God, Which sends you the Holy Spirit.
3. Godís Will is done completely whenever you extend God completely. Jesus united with Godís Will by completely extending God in His awareness. This is what He modeled and your problem in accepting this is your desire that the world be real. Undoing the world in your mind is your salvation so the Christ in your Mind is salvation. The world is the idea that Love is impossible and to maintain the worldís reality the personal mind must despise and reject your Christ Mind. But when you accept the Christ within you, you deny that the world is real and accept that only God is Real. Christís Will is Godís Will and your decision to follow your Christ Mind is your decision to hear the Holy Spirit and follow Godís Will. God sent you the Holy Spirit so that you can extend Peace and Oneness in your awareness.
4. The part of your mind that perceives a world of separation needs Peace and if you want Peace you must extend Peace in your perception to know that you have Peace. Your healing comes only from the guidance of the Holy Spirit within you. You must want Its guidance or Its guidance will be meaningless to you. Your healing is the joining of the Holy Spirit to all that you perceive. Only if you believe that the Holy Spirit knows what you need to do will you give your split mind to the Holy Spirit. If you donít choose to follow the Holy Spirit you are deciding for separation from God and you will not heal your mind.
5. Your healing is the joining of your will with Godís Will because the separation is overcome by Oneness. Your decision to join your will with Godís Will must be undivided or it will not be whole. Your mind is the mechanism of decision and it determines whether you will separate and suffer or join and be Joyous. The Holy Spirit cannot force on you the decision to join because the part of your mind that you have given to separation is equal in strength to the Holy Spirit within you. Even in separation your will is free and God Itself cannot limit it so the Holy Spirit cannot limit it. The Holy Spiritís Strength can make yours invincible but It cannot oppose your decision to be separate without competing with you and undoing Godís Oneness.
6. Nothing can oppose your decision because God gave your will its power and the Holy Spirit can only acknowledge this. If you want to be like the Holy Spirit the Holy Spirit will help you but if you want to be different from the Holy Spirit the Holy Spirit can only wait for you to change your mind. The Holy Spirit can teach you but you must choose to follow Its teaching. This is your freedom and you will not learn Freedom through tyranny. You will not understand Godís Oneness by one Part of It having power over another Part of It. Being the Will of God your mind is One and this is all that the Holy Spirit teaches.
7. Your Will is the Holy Spiritís Will, Which is Godís Will. If this were not so your will would be limited, not free. Of a personal self you can do nothing because the personal self is nothing. The Holy Spirit is nothing without God and you are nothing without the Holy Spirit because by denying God you deny your Self. The Holy Spirit remembers What you are for you and when you remember the Holy Spirit you remember God. This is your Freedom because you can only be Free in Godís Limitlessness. Praise God and yourself who are One with God and give this gift in gratitude. God extends your Praise and Gratitude Everywhere Always and by extending Freedom you will be Free.
8. Freedom from limitations is the only gift that you can offer to the part of your mind that seems separated because in Reality it is Whole as God is Whole. Freedom is Creation because it is the Extension of Godís Love. When you seek to limit your awareness of yourself to a personal self among other personal selves in a world separate from God you cannot extend Godís Love and you lose your Identification with God and the Holy Spirit. [Your Identification is with the entire Holy Trinity - God, Part of God (Christ) and the Holy Spirit - because They are One. You cannot identify with One without the Others. If you exclude yourself from Them you perceive Them as separated. You are included in the Holy Trinity because It is Everything. You will fulfill your Function or the Holy Trinity would be incomplete. No Part of It can be limited for you to understand It.]
5. The Undivided Will of the Sonship
1. You cannot be separate from your True Identity and be at Peace. Separation is a delusion, not a solution. When you are delusional you feel that the Truth will attack you and you do not recognize the Truth is True because you want the delusion. Not wanting Truth you perceive illusions, which block God from your mind. You can undo this by extending Godís Love to all that your mind perceives just as the Holy Spirit extends Godís Love to you. Your mind is nothing in the isolation of a personal self but unite your mind and its perceptions into Wholeness and its power will be greater than its separate parts. The Mind of God is yours and this Mind is invincible because It is Whole.
2. The undivided Will of your Whole Mind extends God perfectly, being Godís Will and being like God. You must include yourself in Godís Will to understand What It is and What you are. By believing your will is separate from the Holy Spiritís Will you exclude yourself from Godís Will, Which is your Self. But to heal is to make whole so to heal your mind is to unite the Holy Spirit with all that your mind perceives by recognizing that God, not a world of separation, is in your mind. Your Perfection is only in God and you can only know this by recognizing that God is in your entire mind. Your recognition of God is your recognition of your Self because there is no separation between God and What is One with God. You will realize this when you recognize there is no difference between your will and the Holy Spiritís Will. Let Godís Love shine on your acceptance of the Holy Spirit because Its Reality is yours and Godís. When you join your mind with the Holy Spirit you are signaling your awareness that Godís Will is One.
3. Godís Oneness encompasses your Oneness with the Holy Spirit. When you join with the Holy Spirit you restore Godís Power to yourself. The Holy Spirit offers you only your awareness of Godís Power in you and in that lays all Truth. As you unite with the Holy Spirit you unite with God. Glory to the Oneness of God! All Glory lies in Godís Oneness because It is united. The Love of God that you extend bears witness to Godís Will for you and to your Joy in uniting with Godís Will.
4. When you unite with the Holy Spirit you are uniting without the personal mind because the Holy Spirit is not limited to the personal mind. Your uniting with the Holy Spirit is the way for you to renounce the personal mind and to go beyond it to Truth. Your success in transcending the personal mind is guaranteed by God and the Holy Spirit shares this confidence. The Holy Spirit brings Godís Peace back to your mind because It received It from God for you. Nothing can prevail against your will united with the Holy Spirit because nothing can prevail against Godís Will.
5. If you want to know the Will of God for you ask It of the Holy Spirit, Which knows It for you, and you will find It. The Holy Spirit will not deny you anything because God does not deny the Holy Spirit anything. Your journey with the Holy Spirit is simply your journey back to your Home in God. Whenever you are afraid it is because the personal mind has tried to join the journey and it cannot do so. Feeling defeated and angry the personal mind feels rejected and attacks. But you are not vulnerable to its attacks when you remember that the Holy Spirit is in you. You have chosen the Holy Spirit instead of the personal mind as your Companion on this journey. If you try to hold on to both you will vacillate between different directions and lose your way.
6. The personal mindís direction is not the Holy Spiritís Direction so it is not yours. The Holy Spirit has one Direction for your mind and It is the same Direction It taught Jesus. Only your illusions of another direction can obscure the Holy Spiritís Direction for you. Do not give the personal mind the power to block you on your journey because it has no power of its own and your journey is to Truth. Reach beyond the personal mindís attempts to hold you back and reach for the Holy Spirit, Which goes before you and beyond the personal mind. The Holy Spiritís Strength will never falter and you can choose to share It. The Holy Spirit gives Its Strength willingly and gladly because the Holy Spirit needs you as much you need It.
6. The Treasure of God
1. Your seemingly separate will joined with the Holy Spiritís Will is your Wholeness. Your journey to God begins with this joining and continues as you extend Godís Love to be all that you perceive. Every strengthening of your awareness of God strengthens your entire mind. Godís Welcome awaits your entire mind as the Holy Spirit welcomes your joining with It. Do not forget Godís Oneness for anything that the world that you perceive has to offer.
2. The world that you perceive can add nothing to God or to your Oneness with God but your belief in its reality can blind you to God. You cannot perceive the world as real and know God because only God is Real. The choice of what is Truth is not yours to make. If it were you would have destroyed yourself when you chose to be separate from God. God does not Will your destruction because your Oneness with God is Eternal. Godís Will saves you from your illusion of the personal self by saving you for your True Self in God.
3. Glorify God, Which the personal mind wants to deny. The world that you perceive has no power over Godís Oneness. You can find Joy only in the Eternal, not because It is All there is but because nothing else is worthy of you. What you extend with God is Eternal and only this is your Joy.
4. Learn what is Godís treasure and your treasure from this story of the prodigal son: The son of a loving father left his home and gave away all that he had for something he thought had greater value. But he learned that it had no value. He thought this hurt his father and was ashamed to return to him. But when he did go home his father welcomed him with joy because the son was the fatherís treasure and he wanted nothing else.
5. God wants only you because you are Godís Treasure and your Extension of God is your Treasure. Your Extension of God is your gift to God, extended in gratitude to God for extending God to you. Your Extension of God does not leave you any more than you leave God as Godís Extension but It extends your Oneness with God as God extends God to you. As Part of God you cannot take Joy in the unreal and only Godís Extension is Real. Your extension of God returns Love to you as Godís extension of you returns Love to God. This is the only Gift that is Eternal and True. You cannot accept anything else or give anything else and expect Joy to return to you. What else but Joy do you want? You did not make yourself or your Function but you made the decision to be unworthy of both. Yet you cannot really make yourself unworthy because you are Godís Treasure and What God values is Truly Valuable. There is no question of your Value because your Value lies in Godís extension of God to you and this establishes your Value Forever.
6. Your Function is to add to Godís Treasure by extending God. And this is your Treasure. Godís Will to you is Godís Will for you. God cannot withhold Its extension from you because Godís Joy is in extending God. You can find Joy only as God does. Godís Joy lay in extending God to you and extending God is how you are like God. You do not understand this because you do not understand God. When you do not accept your Function you do not know What It is and you will not accept your Function until you know What you are. Extending God is the Will of God. Godís Will is extended to you to extend God. Your Will is not separate from Godís Will so you must will as God wills.
7. When you think that you do not will with God you are not thinking at all because Godís Will is Thought and It cannot be contradicted by thought. God does not contradict God and you who are One with God cannot contradict yourself by contradicting God. But your thoughts are so powerful that you can limit your mind if you choose. This does seem to make your Function unknown to you but never unknown to God. And because It is known to God It is Forever knowable by you.
8. The only question you need to ask yourself is: ďDo I want to know Godís Will for me?Ē God will not hide Its Will. God revealed Its Will to Jesus, Who asked It of God, and Who learned What God had already given Him. Your Function is to join with the Holy Spirit within you because apart from It you cannot function at all. The Whole Power of Godís Oneness lies in your entire mind, not alone in the personal mind. God does not want you to be un-whole because God does not want to be un-whole. That is why God extends God to you and gives you the Power to extend God. Your Extension of God is as Holy as you who are One with God. By extending God you extend your Love and increase your Joy. You do not understand this because you who are Godís Treasure do not think that you are Valuable. With this belief you cannot understand anything.
9. The Holy Spirit knows the Value God puts upon you. Knowing both God and you, the Holy Spiritís devotion to you comes from God. You cannot be separated from the Holy Spirit because All of Godís Mind is One and God is your Life and your Being. Your journey to God is the reawakening of your knowledge that you are Forever One with God. It is a journey without distance to a Goal that has never changed. God cannot be described or explained but you can experience God directly. The Holy Spirit can prepare you for the Experience but God will dawn on you of Itself.
10. What God wills for you is yours. God has given Its Will to you who are Godís Treasure and Godís Will is your Treasure. You are Beloved of God, and Wholly Blessed. Learn this of the Holy Spirit and set your Holy Will totally free by extending Godís Blessing.
7. The Body as a Means of Communication
1. Your identification with a personal self in a body is how your split mind thinks it has attacked God. So you attack when you think attack can get you something, just as the personal mind thinks it has gotten something by attacking God. Attack always involves body-identification whether the attack is physical or not. Attack would not appeal to you if you didnít think it could get you something and you only think this when you identify with a personal self in a body. You will always be depressed when you identify with a body because you who are One with God are belittling yourself when you limit yourself to a body. It is the same when you look on your perceptions of other bodies as reality. When you perceive other bodies as reality you believe that you are a body and you cut yourself off from salvation.
2. The Holy Spirit interprets everything that you have made in light of Its own purpose and since the Holy Spirit is the Communication Link between you and God It interprets the body as a means of communicating Itself to you. The personal mind uses your body-identification for separation but the Holy Spirit reaches through your body-identification to join your mind. The Holy Spirit uses your perceptions of other bodies in the world that you perceive as opportunities to extend Godís Love in place of the personal mindís projections. The body has no value of its own and the Holy Spiritís interpretation of it will entirely change your mind about its value.
3. If you use the body to attack yourself by making it real to you it will seem to harm you. But if you extend Godís Love through the body to teach yourself that the body is not real you will understand the Power of your Mind. If you use the body only for the extension of Love you cannot use it for attack. In the service of uniting your mind with the Holy Spirit the body becomes a beautiful lesson in communion until you are again aware of your Communion with God. This is how God makes you aware of your Unlimited Mind, Which you want to limit to a body. The Holy Spirit knows the only reality of anything in the world that you perceive is the service that it renders God on behalf of your Function of extending Oneness.
4. Communicating the Holy Spirit to your mind ends your sense of separation from God; making the body real to you, and therefore attacking yourself with it, promotes your sense of separation from God. The body is beautiful or ugly, peaceful or savage, helpful or harmful depending on whether you use it for communicating the Holy Spirit to your mind or for separation from God. The way that you perceive other bodies reflects how you use the body. If you give the body to the Holy Spirit to use as a means of uniting your mind you will see the physical world is nothing. Use the body for Truth and you will see it truly. But use it for separation and you will not understand its real purpose because you will have misused it. Interpret anything in the world that you perceive apart from the Holy Spirit and you will mistrust it, hate it, attack it, and lose your Peace.
5. All of your sense of loss comes from your not understanding that loss is impossible. When you look on bodies as real your Power and Glory are lost to your awareness. This is an attack on yourself and you project this attack onto a world that you perceive outside of you. Do not look on the physical world as real; for your own salvation extend Godís Love instead. Do not belittle yourself by limiting your awareness to a physical world but free your mind by extending Godís Love everywhere. The part of your mind that you project onto a world is as Holy as your Christ Mind. To extend Godís Love to it is to reach to God through your Oneness with the Holy Spirit.
6. Rejoice that you did not make yourself and that you can do nothing real with the personal self. You are One with God and God wills you the Power and Glory to accomplish Godís Will when you accept It for yourself. God has not withdrawn Its Gifts from you but you believe you have taken Them from God when you believe the separation is real. For Godís sake do not let any part of your mind remain hidden from God because you are One with God.
7. The Bible says, ďThe Word (or thought) was made flesh.Ē This is not possible since your Mind is Real but material form is not. It only seems as though there are two realities, just as it seems that every miracle manifests differently. Thought is not physical and you can only believe it can make flesh. But thought is communication and communication is the only natural use to which you can put the body. If you use the body for any other purpose you forget the Holy Spiritís Purpose of extending God and you are confused about the Holy Spiritís lesson plan.
8. A lesson plan that you cannot learn is frustrating and depressing and this is why your perception of a world is depressing. The Holy Spiritís lesson plan is never depressing because it is a Plan of Joy. Whenever you are depressed it is because you have forgotten the Goal of the Holy Spiritís lesson.
9. In your identification with a personal self you do not even perceive the body as whole. Its purpose is fragmented into many functions with little or no relationship to each other so that it appears to be ruled by chaos. When you are guided by the personal mind the body is ruled by chaos. But when you are guided by the Holy Spirit the body becomes the means by which the part of your mind that you tried to separate from the Holy Spirit through projection is returned to the Holy Spirit through the extension of Godís Love. The personal selfís temple thus becomes the Holy Spiritís temple and only in this way is the body a temple to God. The Holy Spirit abides in the body by directing the use to which it is put.
10. When you use the body only to overlook it and to communicate the Holy Spirit to your mind the body is healed. This is the bodyís natural use and since it is natural it makes the body whole. Your Mind is Whole and your belief that part of it is physical, or not-Mind, is fragmented and sick. Your Mind cannot be made physical but It can be made manifest through the physical if your Mind uses the body to go beyond it to extend Itself. If your Mind stops at the body It is blocked in Its Purpose of extension and It has attacked Itself.
11. Removing your blocks to your Mindís extension is the only way to guarantee a healed body. A healed body is the natural result when your Mind is working through it but not in it. The goal of the personal mindís lesson plan is to teach you that you are a body. This blocks the extension of your Mind through the body by teaching you that you are in a body. This results in your distorted perception of the body, which fosters your belief in separation and manifests as illness. Your perception of the body as a separate entity with its own power must foster illness because it is not true. The body is then useless for communicating the Holy Spirit to you because it has become a means of attacking you. This is an obvious confusion of the bodyís purpose.
12. To communicate is to join and to attack is to separate. If you try to do both simultaneously with the body you will suffer. Your perception of the body can only be whole when it has only one purpose for you. By choosing one purpose you will perceive the body only one way. Your confusing the body with the Goal of the lesson plan that you need to learn blocks your understanding of both the body and God. Your learning must lead beyond the body to re-establish the Power of your Mind that seems to be in it. This can only be accomplished if your Mind is free to extend Itself without limit and so to be Whole. Limiting your Mind to a body is the cause of all illness in the body because extension is your Mindís Function.
13. Depression is the opposite of Joy. When what you learn promotes depression instead of Joy you are not listening to the Joyous Holy Spirit or following Its lessons. To see the body as anything but a means of communicating the Holy Spirit to you is to limit your Mind and to hurt yourself. Health is the result of a united purpose. If the body is brought under the Purpose of your Mind it becomes whole because your Mindís Purpose is One. Attack can only seem to be the bodyís purpose because the body has no purpose apart from your Mind.
14. You are not limited by a body and thought cannot be made flesh. But your Mind can be manifested through a body if It does not limit Itself to a body but goes beyond it. Whenever you look on any body as a real limitation on your Mindís extension of Godís Love you are limiting yourself to a body. But your whole purpose is to escape from all limitations. To perceive the body as a means of attack and to believe that attack can bring you Joy is for you to not learn of the Holy Spirit. Then your goal is in contradiction to the Holy Spiritís unified lesson plan and it interferes with your ability to accept the Holy Spiritís Goal as your own.
15. Only God has a Unified Purpose and It is Joy. When your purpose is unified it will be Godís Purpose. When you believe that you can interfere with Godís Purpose you believe that you need salvation. You have condemned yourself but condemnation is not of God so it is not Truth and its results are not Truth. When you look on any body as a real limitation on your Mindís extension you are condemning yourself. But all condemnation is unreal since it is a form of attack and it can have no real results.
16. Do not suffer from the imagined results of what is not true. Your freedom lies in the complete impossibility of the not-true having any real results. You are freed from illusions only by not believing in them. There is no attack but there is Unlimited Communication and therefore Unlimited Power and Wholeness. The Power of Wholeness is in Its extension. Do not limit your mind to a body in a world and you will open your mind to Godís Oneness.
8. The Body as Means or End
1. In your identification with the personal mind your attitudes toward the body are attitudes toward attack because the personal mind defines everything based on what it is using it for rather than on what the thing is. To the personal mind the purpose of the body is to attack with and because it equates you with the body it teaches you that you are to attack with. The body is not the source of its own health, then, but its condition is the result of how you interpret its function. [Your Function is Part of your Being because It comes from your Being but the relationship is not reciprocal. The Whole defines the Part but the Part does not define the Whole. In God, Which is One, to know Part is to Know the Whole because God is All the Same and Unchanging. But in your perception of separation whole things are made up of parts that can separate and reassemble into different wholes. Only at the level of perception of a world is partly-whole meaningful because change is possible. In God there is no difference between the Part and the Whole.]
2. The body seems to exist in a seeming world that contains two voices vying for its possession. Because you shift allegiance back and forth from the Holy Spirit to the personal mind both the bodyís health and sickness seem to be real to you. The body is a means of communication, not an end in itself, but the personal mindís goal for you is to perceive yourself as a body. Yet the personal mind has no real use for the body because the body is not an end; it is nothing. The outstanding characteristic of all of the personal mindís goals is they have not satisfied you. So the personal mind shifts ceaselessly from one goal to another so that you will continue to hope it has something to offer you.
3. It is difficult for you to overcome the personal mindís goal that you identify with a body because this is the same as its goal that you believe that you have attacked and separated from God. This belief is the personal mindís whole foundation. The personal mind has a profound investment in the bodyís sickness because if it is sick it proves that you are vulnerable and cannot be of God. This argument appeals to the personal mind because it obscures the source of the bodyís sickness, which is your attack on yourself by identifying with a personal self in a body. If you recognized this and stopped attacking yourself with your identification with a personal self you would not give false witness to the separation through a sick body.
4. You do not recognize that the bodyís sickness is a false witness because you have not wholly realized that you do not want the separation from God that the bodyís sickness seems to witness to. If you honestly look at the bodyís sickness you will see that it is not such a strong witness to the personal selfís reality. But because you want the personal self you have chosen to use sickness as proof that it is real. The personal mind does not call upon witnesses that disagree with it and neither does the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spiritís Function is to judge everything in the Light of Godís Reality. The personal mindís judgment is biased toward its own reality.
5. The body has no function of itself because it is not real. But the personal mind makes the body real to you to obscure the Holy Spiritís function of communication for the body. The personal mind gives a purpose to everything that obscures your Function of extending God. A sick body does not make any sense because sickness is not what the body is for in the Holy Spiritís Perception. A sick body is meaningful only if you believe that the body is for attack and that you are a body. Without these beliefs the bodyís sickness has no purpose for you.
6. The bodyís sickness is ďproofĒ that you can be hurt. It witnesses to your frailty, vulnerability, and your need for external guidance. The personal mind uses the bodyís sickness as an argument that you need its guidance and it dictates endless prescriptions for avoiding catastrophe. The Holy Spirit recognizes sickness is an error and It does not bother to analyze its form because it is meaningless. The Holy Spiritís Function is to extend Truth instead. Any way in which you handle sickness is meaningless because it is nothing. The more complicated the sickness that results from error the harder it is for you to recognize that it is nothing. But you do not have to examine all possible outcomes of error to judge it as nothing.
7. The body is a learning device, not a teacher. It cannot tell you how you feel. You do not know how you feel because you have accepted the personal mindís lesson that you are a body and you believe that the body can tell you how you feel. The bodyís sickness is an example of your insistence in asking the guidance of a teacher who does not know the answer to your question, ďWhat am I?Ē The personal mind itself cannot know how you feel. The only wholly true thing you can say about the personal mind is that it does not know anything. Since it does not know anything it has no reality.
8. The voice of the personal mind, which does not even exist, is so insistent in you because you want it. It is an example of the power of your wanting, which can distort your perception even when what you want is not real. The personal mind has great skill in building illusions and you will listen to it until you want only Truth. When you lay aside your desire for separation from God the personal mind will be gone for you. The Holy Spiritís Voice is as loud as your willingness to listen to It. It cannot be louder than your willingness because the Holy Spirit seeks to restore your freedom of choice, not to undermine it.
9. The Holy Spirit teaches you to use the body only to extend Godís Love in place of the world that your mind perceives so that you will teach yourself that only Godís Love is Real. This will heal your mind. Anything that you use in accordance with the Holy Spiritís interpretation of its function cannot be sick. Anything used for any other purpose is sick. Do not allow the body to mirror your split mind or to be an image of your own perception of limitedness. Health is the natural state of everything when it is interpreted by the Holy Spirit and it is the result of your giving up all love-less uses of the body. Health is the beginning of your proper perception of Life under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Which is the Voice for Life Itself.
9. Healing as Corrected Perception
1. The Holy Spirit is the Answer to your question, ďWhat am I?Ē It is the Answer to everything because the question ďWhat am I?Ē is the real question behind every question that you ask. The personal mind asks many questions but it does not know what a real question is. You learn this as you begin to question the value of the personal mind and to look at its questions. When the personal mind tempts you to sickness do not ask the Holy Spirit to heal the body, which is not the source of sickness. Ask instead that the Holy Spirit show you the correct perception of the body because sickness is caused by your distorted perception of the bodyís purpose. Only perception can be sick or mistaken.
2. Wrong perception is your wish that God be different from What God is. Total Harmlessness is Godís natural State of
3. Wholeness is of the Mind and only a whole mind heals. All forms of sickness, even unto death, are physical expressions of your fear of God. They are attempts to reinforce in your mind the reality of your separation from God. They are a pathetic attempt to make spiritual awareness ineffective by shutting it off. ďRest in peaceĒ is a blessing for the Living, not for the dead, because rest comes from being aware of God, not from denying God. [The dreams that you have when you sleep are illusions of joining because they reflect the personal mindís distorted ideas of what joining is. But the Holy Spirit can use dreams to make you aware of God if you turn them over to the Holy Spirit.
4. How you wake up after sleeping is how you have used sleep. Did you give your sleep to the Holy Spirit or to the personal mind? Whenever you awaken dispiritedly you did not give your rest to the Holy Spirit because if you had you would have awoken Joyously. If you use sleep on behalf of sickness it can leave you stupefied and un-rested. Sleep is not a form of death anymore than death is a form of unconsciousness. Your mind can never be completely unconscious.] You can rest in Peace only when you are aware of God.
5. Healing happens to you when you decide to be aware of God and to let go of your fear of God. Your decision to be aware of God reflects your Will to Love since all healing replaces fear with Love. The Holy Spirit does not distinguish between degrees of error. If the Holy Spirit teaches you that one form of sickness is more serious than another then the Holy Spirit would be teaching you that one form of sickness is more real than another. The Holy Spirit only distinguishes Truth from illusion and replaces illusion with Truth.
6. The personal mind always wants to weaken your True Mind. It tries to separate the body from your Mind, which would destroy the body because the Power of your Mind is the source of the thoughts that give rise to the body. But the personal mind thinks it is actually protecting the body. It projects its attack on you onto your Mind and teaches you that your Mind is attacking the body and that removing you from your Mind would heal the body. But your Mind cannot be removed from you because It is of God. The personal mind despises weakness even though it tries to induce it in you. It always wants what it hates because it wants to attack believing that attack is the source of its power.
7. The Bible asks you to be perfect, to correct all errors, to take no thought of the body as separate, and to accomplish all things in the name of Jesus Christ. But Christ is not Jesusí Name alone because you share the Christ Identity. The Name of Christ is One and you are asked to do the works of Love because your Mind is One and Whole. When you are sick you are withdrawing from your Christ Mind. And when you withdraw from your Christ Mind you withdraw from your Self.
8. This is a practical course that means exactly what it says. The Holy Spirit does not ask you to do what you cannot do and it is impossible for the Holy Spirit to do what you cannot do. Nothing can prevent you from doing what the Holy Spirit asks and everything argues for your doing it. The Holy Spirit cannot limit you because God does not limit you. When you limit yourself you are not of One Mind and that is sickness. Sickness is of your mind, not of the body. All forms of sickness signal that your mind is split and that you do not accept One Purpose.
9. One Purpose, then, is the Holy Spiritís way of healing you. Healing only has meaning at the level of your mind and re-establishing Meaning in the chaotic thought system that you made is the only way to heal your mind. Meaning is of God and your only part is to meet the conditions of Meaning. Your return to Meaning is essential to Godís Meaning because your Meaning is Part of Godís Meaning. Your healing is part of Godís Wholeness. God cannot lose Its Wholeness but you can forget It. Yet Wholeness is still Godís Will for you and Godís Will is Forever and Everywhere.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|