|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 9: The Acceptance of the Atonement
1. The Acceptance of Reality
1. Fear of the Will of God is the strangest belief that you have ever made with the personal mind. It could only happen because your mind is split and has become afraid of What It really is. Reality only threatens illusions because Reality only upholds Truth. The Will of God is What you are and your fear of It means that you are afraid of What you are. It is your Will that you are afraid of.
2. Your Will is not the personal mindís will and that is why the personal mind is against you. Your fear of God is your fear of your own Reality. You cannot learn anything consistently in a state of panic. The purpose of this course is to help you remember What you are and if you believe that What you are is frightening then you will not learn this course. But the reason for this course is that you do not know What you are.
3. Since you donít know your Reality, why are you so sure It is frightening? Associating Truth with fear is inappropriate when you do not know what Truth is. You are arbitrarily judging against Something that you donít know and then deciding against It. You can only get out of this strange situation with a Guide Who does know your Reality. This Guideís Purpose is simply to remind you of What you want. The Holy Spirit is not trying to impose an alien will on you but, within the limits that you put on It, to bring your own Will to your awareness.
4. You have pushed your Will out of your awareness and though It still exists It cannot help you. To sort out Truth from illusion the Holy Spirit looks at What you are denying and finds the Will of God. The Holy Spirit is in your mind so Its recognition of Godís Will brings your Reality to your mind and reminds you of What you are. The only fear in this process is your fear of losing the personal self. But only What the Holy Spirit sees can possibly be What you really have.
5. The Holy Spirit does not ask you to sacrifice but if you ask yourself to sacrifice Reality the Holy Spirit will remind you that this is not Godís Will or yours. There is no difference between your Will and Godís Will. Your mind is split so you do not recognize that sharing Godís Will is salvation because It is Oneness.
6. You cannot be aware of your Oneness with God when you want to be separate from God. You and God are One and this is your Joint Will. But a divided mind cannot be One in its own awareness because each part is different from the other and this leads to confusion and loss of meaning. Only Oneness makes sense throughout your mind because it is One. It does not make sense for you to ask for what you do not want but as long as you are afraid of your Will that is what you are asking for.
7. You may think that the Holy Spirit does not answer you but consider what you are asking for. You do not ask for only your Will, Which is All that you really want. This is because you are afraid that you will find out What your Will is Ė and you will. So you persist in asking the personal mind to show you your Will but it cannot possibly know. This seems safe to you. Yet you cannot be safe from Truth, only safe in Truth. Only Reality is Safety. Your Will is your salvation because it is Godís Will. The separation is only your belief that your will is different from Godís Will.
8. You cannot believe that your will is stronger than Godís Will so you must believe that it is different from Godís Will. This leaves you believing, like an atheist, that there is no God or, like a martyr, that Godís Will is frightening because It demands sacrifices. Either of these beliefs will make you panic because you will believe either that you are alone or that God is crucifying you. You may seek to be lonely or punished but you cannot really want either of these. So you cannot ask the Holy Spirit for these ďgiftsĒ and really expect to get them. The Holy Spirit cannot give you what you do not really want because it is not Real. It is not Real because it is not your Will for you.
9. You will ultimately remember God because you will ultimately recognize your Self. This Recognition is your realization that your Will and Godís Will are One. In Godís Presence there are no atheists or martyrs. In the Security of Godís Reality fear is meaningless. Denying the Truth can only seem frightening. Fear is not real without a cause and God is the only Cause. God is Love and you do want God. This is your Will. Ask for This and you will be answered because you will be asking for What belongs to you.
10. When you ask the Holy Spirit for what will hurt you It cannot answer because nothing can hurt you so you are asking for nothing. Any wish that comes from the personal mind is a wish for nothing and is really a denial of God in the form of a request. But the Holy Spirit is not concerned with form, only meaning, and the personal mind cannot ask the Holy Spirit for anything because they cannot join. You can ask for Everything of the Holy Spirit because your real requests come from your awareness of your Oneness with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit cannot deny the Will of God or fail to recognize Godís Will in you.
11. You do not see how much energy you waste denying God. You persist in attempting the impossible Ė separation from God Ė and believe that achieving it would be success. You believe that you must have the impossible to be happy and this conflicts with your Oneness with God. God does not Will that you be happy with what you can never have. God is Love and this is a Fact that does not require your belief but your acceptance. You can deny Fact but you cannot change It. If you hold your hands over your eyes you will not see because you are interfering with the law of seeing. By the same token if you deny Love you will not know It is Truth because your knowing It is the Law of Its Being. You cannot change Laws that you did not make and the Law of Happiness comes from God, not from you.
12. It is frightening to deny What is and your strong denial of It makes you panic. Only God is Real and as Part of God you can only want God. But you can seem to persist in making the impossible goal of willing against Reality and you can seem to devote your mind to what you do not want. But your devotion cannot be real. Since what you want is not One with God it is not Real; it is nothing. You cannot really devote yourself to nothing.
13. God is devoted to you and in your Oneness with God you are devoted to God or you would not be Whole. God is Everything and Reality and you have Everything because you are Real. You cannot make the un-Real because to lack Reality is frightening and you cannot be One with lack and fear. As long as you believe fear is real you will not extend God. Your concept of opposing realities makes God meaningless to you but Godís Reality is Meaning.
14. Godís Will is All that will ever be. If you accept This you accept Reality. You cannot make a different reality and know What Reality is. When you do believe that something other than God is real you experience anxiety, depression, and panic because you seem to be making yourself un-Real. When you feel these things remember that the Truth is in you:
Christ is in me and Christ is in God.
2. The Answer to Prayer
1. You may have experienced what seems to be failure when you have used prayer not only in connection with things that are harmful to you but also with requests that are in line with this course. You may incorrectly interpret this as ďproofĒ that this course is misleading. But you must remember that this courseís purpose is to teach you to escape from fear.
2. If you ask the Holy Spirit for something that you want but that you fear then your attainment of it would not really be what you want. Sometimes you donít achieve specific forms of healing even when you have changed your mind enough to call on the Holy Spirit. For example, you may ask for physical healing because you are afraid of physical pain and discomfort. But in your identification with a personal self physical healing that comes from the Holy Spirit may be more threatening to you than the physical discomfort that you are experiencing. In this case you are not really asking for release from fear, which is true healing, but from release from the symptoms of fear that you have chosen.
3. The Bible says that all prayers are answered and this is true. When you ask the Holy Spirit you will be answered but the answer will never be one that increases your fear. You may not hear the Holy Spiritís answer but the answer will not be lost. You have received many answers that you have not heard and they are waiting for you to hear them.
4. If you want to know that your prayers are answered never doubt your Christ Mind. Your faith in Christ is your faith in yourself. If you want to know God and the Holy Spirit believe in your Christ Mind, Which has complete faith in you. You cannot call on the Holy Spirit and doubt the Christ in you. Extend the Holy Spirit to replace the world of separation in your mind and hear only the Truth. As you listen only to your extension of the Holy Spirit you will learn of the Christ in you. Listening for the Truth is the only way that you can hear Truth and know that you have It.
5. The message you receive from others is determined by whether you project separation onto them or extend Godís Love to them. Remember to replace the personal mindís projections with the Holy Spirit and you will hear the Holy Spirit. Your Holy extension of the Holy Spirit can tell you only of Truth. The personal mindís projections onto others may seem to be real to you but the Holy Spirit is always present and you can learn to listen for It instead. This is the Holy Spiritís Answer to your prayers if your faith in It is strong enough to hear It.
6. You cannot pray for a personal self any more than you can find joy in a personal self. True prayer restates your Oneness with God through the Holy Spiritís awareness of It. Your salvation comes from you extending the Holy Spirit to replace the personal mindís projections, and the Holy Spirit is the Answer to your prayers. You cannot hear the Holy Spirit in the personal mind because the personal mind is not What you are and the Holy Spiritís is What you are. You will not know that your Christ Mind trusts you unless you extend this Trust by trusting the Holy Spirit. You will not trust the Holy Spiritís guidance or believe it is for you unless you extend the Holy Spirit to replace the personal mindís projections onto others. The Holy Spirit must be for what you perceive because it is for you. God did not give you the Holy Spirit to limit It to the personal mind but as the Answer for your entire mind. Do not be deceived by the seeming reality of a world but extend your Christ Mind in place of it.
7. The Christ in you loves the Truth in you as God does. You can believe in the deceptions of the split mind but you cannot deceive the Christ in you because It knows you are Christ. The Christ in you only hears the Holy Spirit in you. If you want to hear the Christ in you hear the Holy Spirit in the world that you perceive. The Holy Spirit is the Answer to all your prayers. Your prayers will be answered as you hear the Answer everywhere. Do not listen to anything else because only the Holy Spirit is the Truth.
8. You will learn that the belief your Christ Mind has in you is justified when you extend It in place of the personal mindís projections. Believe in your Christ Mind by extending It in place of the world of separation that you perceive and your prayers will be answered with the Truth. Extend Blessing to learn that you are Blessed of God. By doing this you seek the Truth in you and you are not going beyond yourself but toward yourself. Hear only the Holy Spirit in place of the personal mindís projections and your prayers are answered.
9. The personal mind teaches you that what you donít believe in you side against and attack and what you do believe in you accept and side with. But it also teaches you that to believe in God is to be gullible. But belief means to accept and to appreciate. When you donít believe in God you donít appreciate God because you cannot be grateful for what you do not value. Judgment of value sets a price and as you set the price you will pay it.
10. If you view giving Godís Love as a means of getting something for the personal self you will give little while hoping for a high return of what you seek. But, as with any payment, what you give attests to the value that you have put on what you are getting. If you understand that extending Godís Love will strengthen your awareness of It within your own mind you will extend Godís Love everywhere. When you limit your extension of Godís Love to giving It to get something in the world that you perceive you lose sight of the value of Godís Love. Not valuing It you will not appreciate It or want It.
11. You decide how much you value Godís Love and you extend Godís Love to the extent that you value It because extending It is how you keep It in your awareness. To believe that you can limit your extension of God and still become fully aware of God is to believe that you can bargain with God to hold some of your mind back for the personal self. But Godís Law is fair and perfectly consistent: What you extend you accept as part of you. It is impossible for you to not have Godís Love but it is possible for you to be unaware that you have It. When you recognize What you have you will be willing to extend It and only by this willingness to extend It will you recognize that you have It. You extend Godís Love to the extent that you value and want It.
12. You ask the Holy Spirit to answer your prayers by extending the Holy Spirit to replace the world of separation that you perceive. If you recognize that the Holy Spirit is everywhere because your mind is everywhere you will be asking the Holy Spirit for Everything and you will be receiving Everything. The Holy Spirit cannot deny you anything unless you deny the Presence of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spiritís Answer to your prayers is all that you can ask for and receive. So say everywhere:
Because I am willing to know myself I choose to see the Holy Spirit.
3. The Correction of Error
1. The personal mind in you is alert to the errors of other personal selves in the world that you perceive and this is not the type of awareness that the Holy Spirit wants you to maintain. The personal mind has its own ideas of what is sensible and it criticizes other personal selves that do not seem to agree with it. This makes sense to the personal mind but not to the Holy Spirit.
2. To the personal mind it is kind and right and good to point out errors in other personal selves and ďcorrectĒ them. But the personal mind is unaware of what actual error is and is unaware of how to correct it. Your identification with a personal self is an error and anything that the personal mind projects is an error. The way to let go of errors, then, is to let go of the personal self. When you correct another personal self you are making error real to you by making the personal mindís projections real to you. But it is your job to overlook the personal mindís projections and to look only on the Holy Spirit. You do not have to say anything to others; you only withdraw the personal mindís projections and extend the Holy Spirit in your mind. No matter what the personal mind projects onto another it is always an error.
3. When you point out errors in other personal selves you are looking at the personal mindís projections of separation because the Holy Spirit in you does not perceive errors. There is no communication between the personal mind and the Holy Spirit and since the personal mind does not make any sense to the Holy Spirit the Holy Spirit does not try to understand anything that it projects. The Holy Spirit does not judge what comes from the personal mind because It knows that the personal mind is nothing.
4. When you react to the personal mindís projections onto others you are not listening to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit merely overlooks the personal mindís projections and if you look on them as real you will not hear the Holy Spirit. When you do not hear the Holy Spirit you are listening to the personal mind and making as little sense as the errors that you perceive in others. This is not correction. But this is more than not correction in others; it is not correction in yourself.
5. When anotherís behavior disturbs you, you can heal your mind only by perceiving the Holy Spirit instead. When you see error in others you are accepting your own error of identifying with a personal self and projecting it onto them. If you want to give over your error to the Holy Spirit you must give over all error that you project anywhere and replace it with a perception of the Holy Spirit. This is the one way to handle all errors and undo them. What you teach you learn. The Holy Spirit is everywhere and if you look on the personal mindís projections as real you are making an error and believing that you are guilty of separating from God.
6. The personal mind cannot correct error in you or in its projections onto others. But you can extend the Holy Spirit in place of the personal mindís projections and see the Truth in you instead. Do not try to change others but accept them as they are. The errors you perceive in them do not come from the Holy Spirit and only the Holy Spirit is Real in you and in your perceptions. Any error that you see anywhere cannot change this and error can have no effect on the Holy Spirit at all. When you react to error in others you make error real to you and lose your way not because you are being punished but because you are following the wrong guide.
7. Errors that you see in yourself or that you project onto others do not come from the Truth in you. Accept error as real anywhere and you attack yourself. If you want to find your way back to God see that only the Truth is with you. The Holy Spirit in you forgives all seeming error in you and in your perception. Forgiving one is forgiving the other because your mind is not really split. Correction cannot come to separate parts of your mind because it comes from Love, Which is Oneness. When you attempt to correct another it is the arrogance of the personal mind, which mistakenly thinks it has the power to correct. True Correction comes from God.
8. The Holy Spirit corrects every error of separation in your mind because your mind is really One with God. Do not try to correct from the personal mind or you will forget that your function is healing your mind of your mistaken belief in the personal selfís reality. Healing is your only function in time and healing is all that time is for. In Eternity your Function is to extend God. You do not need to learn this but only to want this. That is the only purpose the Holy Spirit gives to learning, an ability that you do not need in God but that you made. Give learning to the Holy Spirit because you do not really know how to use it. The Holy Spirit will teach you how to see yourself without guilt by teaching you how to perceive without guilt. Guilt will then lose reality for you and you will forgive your errors.
4. The Holy Spiritís Plan of Forgiveness
1. Correction encompasses your entire mind because it is the way to undo your belief that part of your mind is separate and outside of you. To forgive is to overlook, so overlook the error or your perception of separation because otherwise you will believe what you perceive. Accept that only the Holy Spirit is Real if you want to know yourself. But perceive the personal mind and its projections as real and you will not know What you are. Remember that your Identity is One and Its Reality is that It is Everywhere.
2. You have a part to play in the plan of the Atonement, Which is the total correction of your perception of separation from God. The Plan does not come from the personal mind because from the personal mind you do not know how to overlook the separation or you would not make it real to you. It would only be another error for you to believe that you do not make the perception of separation or that you can correct it without the Holy Spirit. If you do not follow the Holy Spirit your errors will not be corrected. The plan does not come from your identification with a personal self because this limited identity is the error from which all of your other errors arise. But the plan is for you.
3. The plan of the Atonement is a Lesson in extending Oneness, which you have forgotten how to do. The Holy Spirit reminds you of the natural use of the abilities you have made for separation by reinterpreting them into abilities that will extend Godís Oneness in your awareness. If you want to use these abilities through the Holy Spirit you cannot judge them as the personal mind does. The personal mind judges your abilities as a means to make separation from God real to you; the Holy Spirit judges your abilities as a means to remind you that you are One with God.
4. Because you ask for forgiveness the personal mind also has a plan of forgiveness. The personal mindís plan, of course, makes no sense and will not work. The personal mindís plan is to make separation from God real to you first and then to have you overlook it. But you cannot overlook what is real to you. So in its religions your split mind resorts to meaningless ďmysteriesĒ that are supposed to save you but that you are not supposed to be able to comprehend. This is sometimes done in Jesusí name, forgetting that Jesusí words are inspired by God and that they are clear because they speak of Ideas that are Eternal.
5. The forgiving that you learn from your Christ Mind does not use your fear of the unknown to undo fear, nor does it make what isnít real, real to you before destroying it. Your forgiving through the Holy Spirit overlooks from the beginning your belief in separation from God and therefore it never makes the personal self real to you. If you let any belief in the realness of the personal self enter your mind you will also believe that you must undo it to be forgiven. But what has no effect does not exist and to the Holy Spirit the personal self has no effects. By steadily and consistently canceling out all of the seeming effects of your identification with a personal self everywhere the Holy Spirit proves to you that the personal self does not exist.
6. Teaching you forgiveness is the Holy Spiritís Function and the Holy Spirit knows how to wholly fulfill Its Function. Extending Godís Love is natural and when you do not extend Godís Love something has gone wrong. Your extension of Godís Love is merely a sign of your willingness to follow the Holy Spiritís plan of salvation because in your identification with a personal self you do not know how. Only if you can accept that correction is the Holy Spiritís Function and not the personal mindís function can you learn that accepting correction is your function.
7. It is typical of the personal mind to confuse its function with the Holy Spiritís Function. The personal mind believes that all functions belong to it, even when it does not know what they are for. In your identification with the personal mind this leads you to self-importance and a confusion that makes you likely to attack anyone and anything for no reason. In your identification with the personal mind you are unpredictable in your responses because you never knows what is really happening.
8. If you do not understand what is happening you will not respond appropriately. Regardless of how often you can find an explanation for how you respond through the personal mind you should ask yourself if the personal mindís unpredictability makes it the best guide for you. The personal mindís qualifications as a guide are questionable and it is a poor teacher of salvation. It is not sound and you have to be unsound yourself to follow it. It isnít true that you do not recognize that it is unsound because your Christ Mind knows it is unsound and your Christ Mind is within you.
9. The personal self lives on borrowed time because its ďlifeĒ is borrowed from your Eternity. Do not fear the Last Judgment but welcome It as you do the Second Coming of Christ, which is only your return to sense. This is not fearful.
10. Only illusions are frightening and you only turn to illusions when you despair of finding satisfaction in Reality. But you will never find satisfaction in illusions so you must change your mind about Reality. Only if you are mistaken in your decision to make Reality fearful is God right about What you are. You have been mistaken about God because you do not know yourself. If you knew yourself you could not have been wrong about God anymore than God could be wrong about God.
11. The impossible can happen only in illusions, and when you search for Real Meaning in them you will not find It. The many signs of separation from God that you see are interpretations of the personal mind so do not look for Real Meaning in them. The signs themselves have no more meaning than the illusion of separation into which they have been woven. Illusions can be pleasant or fearful but never true. You may believe in them and while you do they are true for you. But Reality is not gone. When you remember Reality illusions disappear. The Second Coming of Christ is not the return of Reality but merely your awareness that It is always here.
12. For you who are One with God Reality is here. It belongs to you and God and is Perfectly Satisfying. This is the awareness that heals you because it is your awareness of Truth.
5. The Unhealed Healer
1. The personal mindís plan for forgiveness is what you teach yourself in the world that you perceive because you are an unhealed healer. By definition an unhealed healer tries to give forgiveness without having accepted forgiveness for their self. If you are religious you may teach: ďI am a miserable sinner and so are you.Ē If your approach is psychological you make separation from God real for you by teaching that the individual personal selfís story is reality and that God does not matter in the healing process.
2. Each personal self has its own separate story so personal minds cannot be One and therefore they are not Reality. Uncovering your individual beliefs about a personal ďlifeĒ in psychotherapy is not going to turn this story into Reality. When you seek for truth in your illusions you must be unhealed because you donít know where to look for Truth and you donít know that only Truth heals.
3. There is an advantage in looking at your hidden beliefs but only to learn that they are not real and that they are meaningless. But if you are an unhealed healer you wonít do this because you wonít believe it and youíll follow the personal mindís plan of forgiveness in one form or another. If you are religious you are likely to feel guilty for separating from God, to teach that guilt is real, and to advocate a form of payment or punishment to absolve your guilt. The personal mind does condemn you and when you identify with it you will project your condemnation onto God. You will believe that God is going to retaliate against you and you will fear Godís retribution. It is understandable if you have revolted against this concept of God but revolting against it means that you believe in it.
4. Psychotherapy is one of the newer forms of the personal mindís plan of forgiveness but the content remains the same. In psychotherapy a personal selfís story is reinforced as your reality. Since the personal identity is validated as real the Power of your Mind is denied. For example, you may interpret the symbols in a nightmare that you have while sleeping as representing something bad that ďreallyĒ happened in the personal selfís past. Now that this event is real to you, you then must deny the role your mind plays in choosing what is real to you. This can lead to healing if you realize that it is the personal mind that made this event real to you and that it is as unreal as the event it has imagined. But if you identify with the personal mind and deny the role your mind plays in deciding what is real to you, you will deny the Holy Spiritís ability to correct your mind. Even in its confusion the personal mind recognizes the contradiction in attempting to heal the mind while diminishing its importance.
5. Even the personal mind will not grow strong if you counteract fear by reducing the importance of the mind. This inconsistency explains why nothing really happens in the personal mindís version of psychotherapy. If the therapist is an unhealed healer he or she must learn from what they teach and they are teaching nothing real. They are in the relationship with the patient to get something but they donít know to extend Godís Love and therefore they are not working correctively for themselves through their perception of the patient. The therapist attempts to teach their patient what is real without knowing Reality for themselves.
6. God has given you the ability to understand Truth. You cannot understand Truth by analyzing illusions like the psychotherapist. Nor, like the religious teacher, can you understand that Truth is in you by seeing sin in yourself and looking to a distant God to remove it. Healing is not mysterious. Nothing will change until you understand Truth. If you could really be a ďmiserable sinnerĒ or an ďunimportant mindĒ then you could only be healed by something outside of you.
7. Both forms of the personal mindís forgiveness will arrive at the characteristic irresolvable situation that the personal mind always leads to. An unhealed therapist or religious teacher may help someone see that where they are heading is not healthy but they will not help another heal since they cannot show them how to change direction. A healer is one who has allowed their own direction to be changed for them by the Holy Spirit and who no longer believes in separation from God. You are a healer when you extend Godís Love in place of the personal mindís projections and learn that Godís Love is within you. This is how your split mind is returned to Oneness. Extend Godís Love continually and accept that It is here and the Peace this brings will assure you that It is here.
8. A healer does not heal ďothersĒ but recognizes that healing is here. Healing does not come from the personal mind but it is within you and it must be extended in place of the world that your mind perceives. The Holy Spirit is the only Therapist and It heals in any situation in which you let It guide you. Your part is only to put the personal mind aside and let the Holy Spirit fulfill Its Function. You will be told exactly what to do or say in every encounter and so to teach yourself. You choose which guide you will follow; the personal mind will not help you, but the Holy Spirit always will. Trust the Holy Spirit because helping you is the Holy Spiritís Function and the Holy Spirit comes from God. As you extend the Holy Spirit in place of the personal mindís projections you will understand that you are not obeying the laws of the world that you perceive but you are obeying Laws that work.
9. This course provides you with a very direct and simple lesson plan and it provides you with an awareness of the Teacher Which can tell you what to do. If you do what you are told you will see that this plan works and its results will be more convincing than this courseís words. In fact, only the results will convince you that these words are true. By following the Holy Spirit you will learn this simple lesson:
Extend Godís Love and you will know yourself by your results.
6. The Acceptance of Your Brother
1. You become increasingly aware of the Holy Spirit in you by Its Effects within your mind. You cannot see the Holy Spirit with the bodyís eyes or hear It with the bodyís ears. If you perceive Joy even if you are not experiencing Joy yourself there must be Something in you that is producing It. Then if you are not experiencing Joy it is because you are separating yourself from It.
2. If it seems to you that the Holy Spirit does not consistently produce Joy in you it is because you do not consistently extend Joy. You evaluate the Holy Spiritís consistency by your awareness of your extensions of Joy, so if you are inconsistent it seems to you that the Holy Spirit is inconsistent. You can only be aware of Joy by extending It from the Holy Spirit within you so the Holy Spirit cannot extend more Joy to you than you are willing to accept for yourself by extending It. The Holy Spiritís extension of Joy is unlimited but you decide how much Joy you will accept by how much Joy you are willing to extend.
3. The world is in your mind but will you accept this? Only what you perceive can teach you what you are because what you learn is determined by what you project or extend. What you call upon to perceive you call upon in yourself and by your perceiving it, it becomes real to you. God is One and knows your Mind as One. Only God is more than your Whole Mind but your Whole Mind is not less than God. As what your mind perceives, what you project or extend affects your awareness of your Christ Mind. This is Oneness. Every part of your mind is part of you and Part of God and shares in Godís Glory. Godís Glory is Godís so it is also yours. You cannot be less Glorious than God is.
4. God is only more than you because God is your Source and you are Godís Extension but God does not keep Itself from you. You extend God as God extends God to you and not even your choice to be separate from God can change this. You remember your Oneness with God every time you extend Godís Love in place of the personal mindís projections. Your every extension of Godís Love is whole and adds to your sense of wholeness but you will not fully understand your Wholeness until you extend Godís Love everywhere. You can know yourself only in your Oneness with God. When you fully remember God you will know your Limitlessness by accepting Godís Limitlessness as your own. But in your perception that you are in a world you will judge yourself as limited by the limits that you put on extending Godís Love.
5. You will learn how to fully remember God as you learn from the Holy Spirit how to extend Godís Love everywhere to replace the personal mindís projections. As you learn the value of the effects of this you will be filled with gratitude and appreciation. Your extension of God in place of the world in your mind will witness to your Reality, as in Heaven your Extension of God witnesses to Godís Reality. When in your awareness your Mind is Whole and One again you will know It by Its Extension of God, Which will witness to your Reality and to Godís Reality.
6. You donít need to experience miracles in Eternity because they are healing. But while you still need healing miracles are the witnesses to your Reality. You cannot extend miracles from a personal mind because miracles are a way of giving Godís Love to receive Godís Love. In time giving comes first but in Eternity giving and receiving are simultaneous because All is One. When you have learned this you will no longer need time.
7. Eternity is timelessness; It is ďalwaysĒ. You will not understand this until you remember Godís Limitless Mind. Like God you are ďalwaysĒ, in Godís Mind and with a Mind like Godís. In your Limitless Mind is your Extension of God, with Which you are One and Which you fully understand. If only once you are fully aware of extending God you will not want to perceive the world anymore because you will see that it is meaningless. Godís Meaning is incomplete without you and you are incomplete without your Extension of God. Extend Godís Love to replace the world in your mind and accept nothing else and you will find your Extension of God and know your Oneness. You will never know that you are One with God until you learn that what your mind perceives is One with you.
7. The Two Evaluations
1. Godís Will is your salvation and God has given you the Means to find salvation easily. The Holy Spirit is everywhere in your mind so you do not have to seek far for salvation. Every second gives you a chance to save yourself and when you do not use these chances you delay Joy for yourself. Godís Will for you is Perfect Happiness right now. This is your Will and the Will of all that your mind perceives because you are One with all that your mind perceives.
2. Your mind is united only in this Joint Will and in nothing else. This is Where Peace is and you will abide in Peace when you decide to accept correction of your perception that separation from God is real. Correction is the only way to Peace. The reason is simple and obvious, but you overlook it. The personal mind is threatened by the obvious because Reality is obvious. But you cannot overlook Reality unless you choose to not look at It.
3. Obviously, if the Holy Spirit looks with Love on you It looks with Love on all that It sees. The Holy Spirit knows What you are and so evaluates you Truly. This evaluation is in your mind because the Holy Spirit is in your mind but so is your separation from God because you have accepted it there. The personal mindís evaluation of you is the exact opposite of the Holy Spiritís because the personal mind does not love you. It does not know What you are and distrusts everything it sees because its perceptions are constantly shifting. The personal mind is at best suspicious and at worst vicious. It cannot exceed this range because of its uncertainty and it can never go beyond this range because it can never be certain.
4. So you have two conflicting evaluations of yourself in your mind and they cannot both be true. But you do not realize how completely different these evaluations of you are because you do not understand how Exalted is the Holy Spiritís evaluation of you. The Holy Spirit is never deceived by what you do in the world that you perceive and It never forgets What you are. The personal mind is always deceived by what you do and most especially when it is confused by your response to the Holy Spirit. The personal mind is most likely to attack you when you respond Lovingly because its evaluation of you is that you are un-Loving. Whenever your motives are out of accord with its perception of you the personal mind will attack them, shifting abruptly from suspiciousness to viciousness in its uncertainty. But it does not make sense for you to attack the personal mind in return because then you are accepting its evaluation of you as un-Loving.
5. You will not be happy if you choose to see yourself as un-Loving. If you do you will limit yourself and regard yourself as inadequate. Donít turn to the personal mind to escape from your sense of inadequacy because it produced it and it must maintain it for its own existence. You cannot escape the personal mindís evaluation of you by using the methods it uses for keeping this image of you intact.
6. You cannot escape the personal mindís belief system from within it but you can go beyond it to the Holy Spirit and look back at the contrast. Only in this contrast can you see that the personal mind makes no sense. With the Limitlessness of God within you, you have chosen to be limited in the personal mind and then to whine about it. You whine about it but you never ask who limited you because to do so would open up the personal mindís whole thought system to question for you.
7. The personal mind does not know what a real question is because it doesnít really want to know the Truth. For you to not question your sense of limitedness is for you to deny Truth so that you can keep the personal mindís thought system intact. You can only question the personal mindís thought system at its source - your belief that your separation from God is real. This must be done from outside of the personal mindís thought system because you are not within it. The Holy Spirit judges against the reality of the personal mindís thought system because it knows its source is not true. Since it is not true anything that arises from it means nothing. The Holy Spirit judges everything from its source and if its Source is God then It knows that it is True but if its source is not God then It knows that it is meaningless.
8. Whenever you question your value say:
I am One with God.
If you remember This when the personal mind speaks you will not hear the personal mind. The Truth about you is so Exalted that only What is worthy of God is worthy of you. Choose what you want in these terms and accept only What you would offer to God as wholly appropriate for God. You do not want anything else. Return yourself to God and God will give you All of God in exchange for the return of you Who completes God.
8. Grandeur Versus Grandiosity
1. God is Limitless and therefore so are you. Whenever you become even dimly aware of your Limitlessness you automatically let go of the personal self because you see how limited it is in comparison. The personal mind perceives this as attack and offers you ďgiftsĒ to return to its ďprotectionĒ. Personal self-inflation is the only offer it can make and this is its alternative to Godís Limitless Being. Which will you choose?
2. Personal self-inflation is always a cover for your despair over your sense of limitedness in your identification with a personal self and it is hopeless for you to think that it can bring relief because it is not real. But when you identify with a personal self your limitedness is real to you. If you didnít believe that you were limited then personal self-inflation would be meaningless to you and you wouldnít want it. Personal self-inflation is an attack on you because a limited personal identity is an attack on you and puffing up this identity is only further competition with the Limitless Truth in you. It is your delusional attempt to outdo the Truth but it will not undo the pain caused by your sense of separation from God. The personal mind is only suspicious of you as long as you despair over your limitedness but it becomes vicious toward you when you decide that you will no longer tolerate it and you seek for relief in Truth. Then it attacks you with personal self-inflation as a ďsolutionĒ.
3. The personal mind does not understand that there is a difference between its own self-inflation and Godís Limitlessness because it perceives both as forms of attack. When you abandon it to experience Godís Limitlessness it experiences this as an attack and it attacks you back by grabbing your attention with self-inflation. It also cannot distinguish between sources of threat. It experiences both your Natural Impulse to extend Godís Love and its own fearful perceptions of God as the same threat to its existence even though one is a real threat and the other is not. Perceiving threat and feeling vulnerable it attacks you. Its only decision is whether to attack you now or withdraw to attack you later. If you accept its offer of personal self-inflation it will attack you with it immediately; if you do not it will wait.
4. The limited personal self is put out of your mind when you are aware of Godís Limitlessness because in God you are Free. Just a hint of your Reality drives the personal self out of your mind because you do not really want it. Godís Limitlessness is without illusions and It is compelling because It is Real. But your certainty of Godís Reality will not stay with you if you allow the personal mind to attack you. If you let it, the personal mind will recover and mobilize against your release. It will tell you that you are insane and argue that Godís Limitlessness cannot be within you because you are limited. But your Limitlessness is not insane because you did not make It. You made personal self-inflation and you are afraid of it because it is a form of attack on God. But your Limitlessness is from God and was given to you out of Love.
5. Your Limitlessness can only Bless you because It is your Abundance. By extending Blessing you hold your Limitlessness in your mind, protecting your mind from illusions and keeping yourself in the Mind of God. You can only ever be in the Mind of God. When you forget this you will despair and you will attack.
6. The personal mind relies on your willingness to tolerate it. If you look upon your Limitlessness you will not despair and you will not want the personal mind. Your Limitlessness is Godís Answer to the personal mind because It is True and the personal mind is not. The personal self, inflated or not, cannot coexist with Limitlessness. And you cannot really alternate between them because they are not both real. But your sense of limitedness and personal self-inflation do alternate because they are extremes on the same level of constantly shifting illusions.
7. Truth and limitedness deny each other because Truth is Limitless. Truth is always True and It cannot vacillate. When you lose sight of your Limitlessness it is because you have replaced It with a personal self. It does not matter if the personal self feels small or inflated, it is never you. Your Limitlessness will never deceive you but your illusions always will. You will not triumph over the personal self but you will rise above its limits. In your Limitlessness you can only extend the Limitless and rejoice.
8. It is easy to distinguish the Grandeur of Godís Limitlessness from the pride of the puffed-up personal self because Godís Love can be extended from you but pride cannot. Pride does not produce an awareness of Godís Love and so it deprives you of the experience of the miracle, which witnesses to your Reality. Truth is not hidden and Its obviousness lies in the Joy you extend from It and that returns to you. Your experience of miracles attests to the Grandeur of your Limitlessness but not to pride because pride is limited to the personal self and cannot be extended. God wants you to look only on Godís Extension because It is Godís Joy.
9. The Grandeur of your Limitlessness is not arrogance because God witnesses to It and only What God witnesses to is Real. Nothing Good can come of what cannot be shared with God and the Holy Spirit only has use for what is Good. What the Holy Spirit cannot translate into the Will of God does not exist. Personal self-inflation is delusional because it is used to replace your Limitlessness and What is Part of God cannot be replaced. God is incomplete without you because Godís Limitlessness encompasses Everything and that means you.
10. You are irreplaceable in the Mind of God. Nothing can fill your Part in God and while you leave It empty your
11. Truth cannot be divided up so your Evaluation of yourself must be Godís Evaluation of you. You did not establish your Value and It does not need to be defended. Nothing can attack It or prevail against It and It does not vary; It merely is. Ask the Holy Spirit of your Value and you will be answered but do not be afraid of the Answer because It comes from God. It is a Limitless Answer because It comes from God. Listen, and do not question What you hear because God does not deceive. To your question, ďWhat am I?Ē God wants you to replace the personal mindís limitedness with Its Own Limitless Answer so that you can stop questioning and know What you are.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|